Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i always wanted to go the sylvan library to read mossy tomes and use the leaf internet

whoops that's the nazi artist. welp,

Brolander fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp

Brolander posted:

i always wanted to go the sylvan library to read mossy tomes and use the leaf internet

hell yeah

Speaking of awesome green card art: Killer bees!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Brolander posted:

whoops that's the nazi artist. welp,

Dunno what about this makes it Nazi (I'm guessing the artist) but holy lol at paying 1/5th of your life for a single card even after you've seen it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Who What Now posted:

Dunno what about this makes it Nazi (I'm guessing the artist) but holy lol at paying 1/5th of your life for a single card even after you've seen it.
Well worth it if it means you complete your game ending combo a turn earlier. The only life point that matters is the last one!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Who What Now posted:

It says “you may draw…”. Does that mean you don’t have to use the ability if you don’t want to?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah cuz its an enchantment

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

speaking of bad art, my dad just gave me some boxes of cards I had at his house from when I was like 15. It was mostly $0.05 commons but this was crammed in between

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Knot My President! posted:

speaking of bad art, my dad just gave me some boxes of cards I had at his house from when I was like 15. It was mostly $0.05 commons but this was crammed in between

Hell yeah Llanowar Elves!

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Knot My President! posted:

neat that's like being handed a $100 bill. ABU games would give you ~80-120 bux for it

my jewish friend modified one of these to look like hitler, he kept it on the dashboard of his card

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Double posting for another edition of Better Know a Degenerate Combo Deck.

This is a very special edition, because it's a two-for, centered around one of the most interesting cards ever printed: Donate

This was the card that made one of the worst cards ever printed really good, and when combined with a very good card, made the "Trix" deck a powerhouse in Extended. (Named after the cereal. there were at least 3 decks named after sugary american cereals in that era.)

How it works is you cheat out Necropotence with good ol' Dark Ritual and start digging for your combo pieces. Don't be afraid to spend 10 life your first turn because you're about to gain 20 from Illusions of Grandeur. Keep what you need to play it and Donate.

From there you're sitting at ~30 life by turn two or three, and they're having to spend 2 then 4 then 6 mana to not die.

What's more interesting is the existence of these two cards:

They say that history doesn't repeat itself, but it sure does rhyme.

Yawgmoth's Bargain would have a somewhat successful combo deck in Standard that I don't feel I need to explain given the nature of the the Tempest block combined with the Urza's block and 6th edition, but basically you use fancy mana to draw cards and win with some bullshit.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Which was the worst card

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

Which was the worst card

Illusions of Grandeur.

Before Donate it sucked but with Donate you created a kind of net 40 life disparity, where you gained 20 life, and they stand to lose 20 life. In a game where you start out with 20 life and the goal is to reduce your opponent's life to 0 this is like pressing the I Win button and the You Lose button just for spite

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 22, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

If you don't pay the upkeep it gets destroyed and the owner loses 20 life?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Correct

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Does the upkeep kick in the round it's played?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does the upkeep kick in the round it's played?

No, Upkeep occurs before the Main Phase when you would cast it.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

If you don't pay the upkeep it gets destroyed and the owner loses 20 life?

The controller, not the owner, but yes.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

How do people learn MTG these days? I've been trying to condense the rules for this thread and remain true to the history of the game and frankly if I could accomplish such a feat I should be earning six loving figures from Hasbro corp

e: I hope you dont mind how exasperated I sound but this post was my 9th draft for fucks sake. I think I gave myself an impossible task in trying to delve too deep into these early decks, because in order to understand some of them, I have to explain archaic rulesets on an interpersonal level.

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 22, 2022

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

BasicLich posted:

How do people learn MTG these days? I've been trying to condense the rules for this thread and remain true to the history of the game and frankly if I could accomplish such a feat I should be earning six loving figures from Hasbro corp

e: I hope you dont mind how exasperated I sound but this post was my 9th draft for fucks sake. I think I gave myself an impossible task in trying to delve too deep into these early decks, because in order to understand some of them, I have to explain archaic rulesets on an interpersonal level.

I eventually learned to play properly through a video game. I think it’s a little intimidating to get started and having a nonjudgmental AI opponent to learn on is helpful!

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I eventually learned to play properly through a video game. I think it’s a little intimidating to get started and having a nonjudgmental AI opponent to learn on is helpful!

There's been a lot of them over the years. My favorite is Microprose MTG 1995

https://abandonwaregames.net/game/magic-the-gathering

Shandalar, Mana Link etc, it's been modified since then.

e: maybe earning six figures from Hasbro is too modest.

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 22, 2022

Runaway Trashbot
Mar 13, 2022

by Games Forum

Dr. Quarex posted:

I remember how fun Magic was until one of our friends became the first guy

I would play like two-hour-long matches with my 200-card deck against my friend who just liked to put every card he had into one huge megadeck and it was always hilarious seeing what would happen.

Then Ogre debuted his chiselled 60-card blue deck built around counterspells (obviously) and direct damage dealing and we all slowly stopped wanting to play :mad:

My friend and I would just make decks to annoy each other with.

His favorite card for that was Capsize, which lasted until I got my hands on Spelljack and I would return the favor.

I am aware that we were probably both using our cards incorrectly.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

BasicLich posted:

Yeah my boyfriend never played a day in his life until a year ago, he learned from the tutorials in MTG Arena, now he's playing as we speak in the Mythic (top) rank in the game. Also, he watched a YouTuber "CovertGoBlue" who plays the game and explains his decisionmaking in real time. Also very not-obnoxious for a Youtuber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth