Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I've been on a Mario Kart kick lately and hopping between, well, all of them, so let's talk about them! And other kart racers too, that sounds cool to me!

MARIO KART is a series of arcade-ey kart racing games starring Mario and friends (and sometimes other Nintendo characters). You pick from a roster of drivers with different attributes such as speed, weight, and acceleration, and you race on Nintendo-themed courses and use wacky powerups to give yourself an advantage and totally screw your opponents. Oh yeah and there's battle mode, where you face off against your friends and smash each other up. The series has spanned a wide range of platforms from the SNES to now, and even mobile phones. The games have added and removed different features as they've gone along but the core gameplay has largely remained intact.

The original game in the series, Super Mario Kart came out on the SNES in 1992. It uses Mode 7 graphics and flat sprites to allow 8 Mario characters to race around 20 courses, broken up into 4 cups of 5 courses each. The game has 3 difficulty modes denoted by engine class, each one ramping up the kart speed and the AI's propensity to be a colossal piece of poo poo. Each AI opponent has a character-specific special attack they can field at any time, while the players are relegated to getting randomized powerups by driving over question-mark tiles on the track. There are also coins on the track which increase the kart's top speed to a maximum of 10 coins; getting hit by enemy powerups or ramming other racers costs you coins. The racers fall into 3 categories: "light" racers who have good acceleration but lower top speed, "heavy" racers who have slower acceleration but the best top speed, and "medium" racers in the middle.

The game also has a battle mode, where two players face off in arenas and use powerups to damage each other - first to score 3 hits wins. The game is currently playable on the Nintendo Switch via the Nintendo Online subscription, and supports online multiplayer for two players.

Mario Kart 64 came out on the Nintendo64 in 1996. It is the first game in the series to feature 3D graphics (although the kart racers themselves were cleverly-disguised 2D sprites). It also features 8 racers (although in a colossal lapse of judgment, Koopa Troopa was removed in favor of Wario), 16 all-new courses (4 each across 4 cups), 4-player multiplayer, and introduces slipstreaming as well as the ability to hold more than one item at a time. It also introduces a series staple: the blue spiny shell, which homes in on the racer in 1st place and is guaranteed to hit. The game is currently available on the Nintendo Switch + Expansion subscription.

Mario Kart Super Circuit came out on the Game Boy Advance in 2001. It returnes to the sprites and Mode 7 graphics, kept the same roster as Mario Kart 64, and boasts 20 all new tracks as well as the 20 “retro" tracks from the original Mario Kart as unlockables. The game kept the 4-player multiplayer, and even let 4 players play from the same cartridge.

Mario Kart Double Dash came out on the Gamecube in 2003, and was the first (and so far, only) game to introduce co-op play by putting 2 racers on each cart - one would drive and the other would assist with drifting and using powerups. The game features 20 racers and up to 16-player multiplayer via LAN, competing across 16 courses. This is the first game in the series to feature kart selection for their team which could affect overall stats, as well as the first to introduce series-staple "mini-turbos", where a racer can gain a quick turbo boost but executing a drift. A returning feature is that racers have special character-specific powerups, only this time they can be player-controlled. Most importantly, it features the return of Koopa Troopa as a playable racer.

Mario Kart DS came out on the Nintendo DS in 2005, dialing back the racer count to 12 and making several of them unlockable based on performance in the grand prix cups. It features 8 cups of 4 courses each, of which half of them are returning courses from prior games. It is the first in the series to support online play over wifi, and the first and only game in the series to feature "mission mode", where players are tasked with completing missions such as collecting coins or defeating enemies in a certain time limit.

Mario Kart Wii came out on the Nintendo Wii in 2008, and is the first entry to feature motion controls via the wiimote, and came bundled with a Wii "steering wheel" which could house the remote, although it is not necessary to play the game. It features 24 characters, introduces bikes as a vehicle option, and includes 32 courses (16 new, 16 returning from prior games) and supports 12-player racing. The game introduces "tricks" as a gameplay mechanic, where players can gain a speed boost by doing a stunt while going over a jump.

Mario Kart 7 returned to handhelds on the Nintendo 3DS in 2011, and features online play for up to 8 players and is the only game in the series to feature 3D graphics. The game introduces automatically-deployed gliders used in certain sections of the courses as well as underwater sections, and also introduces kart customization by way of selecting a body, wheels, and glider, all of which can impact a kart's stats. The game features 17 characters, and 32 courses. Unlike older titles in the series, the multiplayer still works on the 3DS and there's still a pretty good selection of active players.

Mario Kart 8/Mario Kart 8 Deluxe originally came out on the Nintendo Wii U in 2014 and was re-released on the Nintendo Switch in 2017. The Deluxe version has a completely insane 41 racers and 48 courses, with another 48 remade "retro" courses in the pipeline via DLC through the end of 2023. The game maintains much of the gameplay additions from Mario Kart 7 but also features anti-gravity racing on walls and ceilings. The game is fantastic, any and all Switch owners should have it in their collection.

Mario Kart Tour is a mobile game from 2019; it is free to play and supports microtransactions. While there is an obvious stigma around free to play mobile games as being shameless lovely cash-grabs, I'll actually step up to bat for this one - the game doesn't pull any bullshit like "race tickets" where you can only race a certain number of times per day without spending money, or really much pay-to-win nonsense. It has "fake" multiplayer against bots with human-sounding names, but does feature limited live multiplayer support. Karts auto-accelerate and the player handles turning, drifting, and using items, and there's a silly number of racers, karts, and gliders to unlock via loot boxes and progression, and all karts and drivers handle the same. Yeah the game is simplified but there's still some luck and skill involved, and getting "high scores" is kind of contingent on using rarer racers, karts, and gliders, but none of that hampers your ability to get first place in a race and have a good time racing across a pretty good selection of courses right out of the gate without spending a dime, and "rubies" (the in-game currency) are unlocked at a pretty decent clip without spending money. For a free mobile game, they could have made it WAY worse.

Ever wanted to drive a real life Mario Kart? Well Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit for the Nintendo Switch kinda does this by putting you in control of a little remote controlled kart with a camera on top, which links to your Switch and overlays everything with augmented reality as you drive the kart around your house. I haven't actually played this one yet, but I've got it coming in the mail tomorrow. We'll see how much my cat likes it!

Let's talk about stuff! Favorite games, favorite drivers (Daisy, Koopa Troopa), favorite courses, kart builds, pro tips and strats, let's see where the discussion goes! I don't know much about other kart racing games so I'll leave that up to other people, and I'm happy to link to "secondary" OPs about other games if people want to write stuff up.

OTHER KART GAMES!
Diddy Kart Racing

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Let's swap friend codes and poo poo, so we can race and play games together! I'll try to amend this list with friend codes as other people post theirs.

Nintendo 3DS
Xenomrph - 3454-3182-4497

Nintendo Switch
Xenomrph - SW-6039-5183-3618
100YrsofAttitude - SW-5181-2261-0743
Rupert Buttermilk - SW-0647-4375-9598
jackhunter64 - SW-2353-8340-5534

Mario Kart Tour
Xenomrph - 670671278945

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 16, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Love the thread! Looking forward to discussing the new tracks as they come out.

My friend code is:

SW-0647-4375-9598 (username is Rupert)

Nan, I love that I can easily copy and paste my code thanks to the Switch app update. :toot:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Diddy Kong Racing

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I sincerely hope that Wario's Coliseum from DD is going to be re-released for MK8D. That's hands down my favourite track ever. It's just insane.

I really appreciate the varied nature of the course selection in MK8D, btw. Baby Park is simple but has a ton of laps, there are 3? 4? linear tracks that go from point A to B without looping, and then you have the non-Mario based ones, like Link's, and the Excitebike course. Add on the Animal Crossing course that changes season each time you play, and you get a ton of variety.

I wonder how long it's take to go through a 48-course marathon in VS. :thunk:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I think my favorite course in MK8 so far is Thwomp Ruins, and it’s almost entirely due to the music.

https://youtu.be/yCYUkablczI

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

That’s sugar hill gang, right?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I have very strong feelings about Mario Kart.

Everyone should play a week or two of Super Mario Kart time trials, it builds character. I just finished a month-long project completely refreshing my timesheet on the SMK players page, including a couple top 50 times that were rough to crack from a decade ago.

Speaking of the players page, it's a great spot for MK time trials (all games) if you're interested (https://www.mariokart64.com/). In early '06 it led me to an AIM chat room 'mkelite' that used to be loaded every night with absolute killers in Mario Kart DS & was a ton of fun to randomly match up with dudes, even if it tanked my overall wifi record. I managed to sneak a win 3-1 over Thomas Bolton, the #1 in the world at the time, thanks to some choice course selections & item usage.

I'd love to get another DS & try to update some of my times there (my fave mk game) but I don't think I could stand up to the rigors of MKDS at this point. The miniturbos are intense over a 1m-2m course.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Speaking of mini turbos, for the life of me I cannot do mini turbos in MK DS, I get a couple sparks and then nothing. I’m trying to hit left and right repeatedly and it doesn’t do anything.

Another control problem, how do you do wheelies in MK Wii using the steering wheel? I’ve tried tilting it back, raising it up (even above my head), nothing works. :saddowns:

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Hello I'm here to post, I started with MK64 and played it a ton as a kid but that's only cuz I had friends who hung out a lot back then, I never actually felt like I understood how to play good till Double Dash and even now 64 still feels janky to me.

With the huge wave of DLC set for the year I do wonder if MK8 will now live forever with every course chucked into it eventually or if this is a sampler to get people talking again before they reveal MK9. :tinfoil:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Before the DLC on March 18, I've been trying to reach 10,000 VR online (bought MK8D on release but went through periods when I didn't play for years and now started again over the past month or so) and now I'm less than 200 points away, but those Worldwide rooms can be brutal

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Hello I'm here to post, I started with MK64 and played it a ton as a kid but that's only cuz I had friends who hung out a lot back then, I never actually felt like I understood how to play good till Double Dash and even now 64 still feels janky to me.

With the huge wave of DLC set for the year I do wonder if MK8 will now live forever with every course chucked into it eventually or if this is a sampler to get people talking again before they reveal MK9. :tinfoil:

Sampler? It’s doubling the course count, it’s more like a buffet. :v:

Coaaab posted:

Before the DLC on March 18, I've been trying to reach 10,000 VR online (bought MK8D on release but went through periods when I didn't play for years and now started again over the past month or so) and now I'm less than 200 points away, but those Worldwide rooms can be brutal

I am profoundly lovely at online play in MK8D, at first I thought it was my kart build but after watching some “meta” videos on YouTube and trying some of their suggestions and still getting stomped, I think the problem is I suck. :saddowns:

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of mini turbos, for the life of me I cannot do mini turbos in MK DS, I get a couple sparks and then nothing. I’m trying to hit left and right repeatedly and it doesn’t do anything.

Back in the day I just mashed left/right like I was playing a Mario Party mini game and it worked out for me, you're not trying to press them at the same time right?

Xenomrph posted:

Sampler? It’s doubling the course count, it’s more like a buffet. :v:

Look I'm not good with words ok, you know what I mean.

A Cup of Ramen fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 10, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Back in the day I just mashed left/right like I was playing a Mario Party mini game and it worked out for me, you're not trying to press them at the same time right?

Nah, I’m alternating them. If I press it too many times does it screw up the turbo?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Xenomrph posted:

The sparks are the something? You need to get to orange/red sparks, which should be two (four?) alternating presses. e.g. Jump & drift left and while you're drifting, you go R L R L and you'll see blue sparks, then orange/red. You can do it pretty fast, although I think you need to wait a heartbeat before starting the alternating presses. Need to be officially sliding before it registers.

Once you have that you can start chaining them together on turns, course AND kart dependent, some karts have longer boosts from miniturbos so you don't need to do so many so quick but the usual trade-off there is raw speed. So like the old wifi argument used to be the Dry Bomber (great off-road speed, lower road speed, longer turbo boost, easier to chain them together and stay at 100% speed) vs the Egg 1 (good off-road speed, slightly higher road speed, shorter turbo boost, harder to stay at 100% but it is a higher base). Ok too much info

Egg1 / Poltergust are good general karts for everything in the game, and you really can just smash mini-turbos EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME which is why the game can be technically annoying/demanding. Don't even get me started on prolonged rocket boosting, which is something I dabbled with but never managed to 100% but leads to some incredible, incredible course times.

edit - I mean I hate even linking the top top top level play but jesus christ PRB makes some tracks broken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFFZU9aHxj8 - that little gauge in the bottom right of the video, slowly depleting but never quite finishing? That's the boost from his initial start rocket boost never wearing off. As long as he keeps releasing a miniturbo before it depletes he'll keep perfect boost speed & be able to fly over any terrain without slowing down. It absolutely changes how some tracks are played. The ultimate swag is doing it in the ROB-BLS, which has the highest base speed & one of the lowest mini-turbo lengths, meaning you have to be incredibly quick & precise with your miniturbos to keep it up the whole time.

Kids these days...

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 10, 2022

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Dry Bomber was my go to kart in DS after I learnt how to snake and went on to beat all the stuff in game but lmao if I was ever close to the actual good players.

Never lost to anyone in my highschool tho. :v:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I only played one dude in my high school and he talked an incredible, incredible bit of shittalk and the only time we played he showed up in the Cucumber and I loving smoked him into a ragequit after two tracks. It used to be the same with wifi tho, iirc you wouldn't get win credits if someone disconnected on you (whereas they'd get the loss no matter what, disconnect OR stick around & lose) so if you were playing someone and got waaaay out in front they'd just bail and you'd have wasted a couple minutes of searching & racing for no wins. Led to a lot of games where you'd sorta dangle the finish line like a carrot on a stick trying to entice people to stick around and let you win. I used to have a screenshot on an old family PC of a 500-30~ online record, before I discovered other good players.

I just found out the new Yoshi Falls record is a 45.875 now, which is bonkers to me. I was, for some reason, wholly focused on that track while doing TTs to the effect of being like top 100-150 in every other course & top 10 in YF 3lap/fast lap for a couple months. My time then? Like 49.1xx, and I struggled for a month or two to nip ANY time off of that (WR at the time was just under 49s flat). Watching the new WR is wild. Whole adjustments & miniturbos thrown in places I never would've been able to match. I did later manage to drop down to 48.6x-7x but woof, almost three seconds short.

edit - MKDS was probably the one game I was world class at in my entire life, so I do think of it fondly. But why oh why did it have to be Mario Kart lol

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 10, 2022

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

SW-2353-8340-5534

Good thread, good OP. I'm literally going to an event this weekend with a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe tournament. At a brewery. In Scotland.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

drat sounds awesome, kick their asses for the honour of the thread. :v:

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I raced in the Dry Bomber with Dry Bones because it looked cool, didn't know it was actually meta for DS.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Couple things:

- we could use this thread to pore over, study, and discuss every single Mario Kart track in existence. That actually sounds pretty great to me. It'd be kind of like Temin Dump's massive 20+ years of Doom thread.

- MK64 has this weird feeling to it, where it feels like the centre of your turning radius/whatever is a little in front of your character. I feel like this isn't immediately obvious, but you learn to deal with it innately. Like if a right turn is coming up, and there's something slightly to your left, you could go into a drift (aiming right), which actually swings out out to the left a bit, actually moving you enough to get that item. Anyone else notice this? I could be wrong but I always feel this is what people mean when they talk about MK64's handling. In fact, putting your camera back a bit seems to affect your turning. Weird.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Couple things:

- we could use this thread to pore over, study, and discuss every single Mario Kart track in existence. That actually sounds pretty great to me. It'd be kind of like Temin Dump's massive 20+ years of Doom thread.

Hey yeah sure, I’m cool with whatever keeps people engaged and talking. I’m not a super serious Mario Kart player going for absolutely perfect racing lines and world record times, but I do try to Not Suck so anything that can help me beat the AI (and maybe some people online) is cool with me, tips and suggestions sound like a great idea.

One reason I’m basically playing all of the MK games at once is so I can see the different iterations of each course over time, too.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
On a side note ask me about how much I loving hate items in Mario Kart and wish there was an online mode that prohibited those (standard, non-tourney or whatever)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Omnikin posted:

On a side note ask me about how much I loving hate items in Mario Kart and wish there was an online mode that prohibited those (standard, non-tourney or whatever)
I think MK7 allows this?

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Pretty excited for the DLC next week. Played MK8 a ton on the Wii U, & got it again on Switch. Haven't played the Deluxe version in years.

Its wild we're getting basically a whole games worth of courses added.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Hell yeah Mario Kart is one of my all time favorite series. At some point I'll try to do a write up of the Sonic kart racers cause they're good and unique in their own right.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

great OP good effort except for one problem

the disparity of logo sizes is offensive. fix it or i'll ban you

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

specifically, super, double dash, and 7 are just being brutalized here.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Did anyone else frequently run into hackers in MKDS? I'd often see people equipped with the same item and use it constantly throughout the whole race. My favorite was someone named I'M HACK who repeatedly hit us with the lightning bolt as we were waiting at the starting line

Other than that the game owned hard

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

b_d posted:

specifically, super, double dash, and 7 are just being brutalized here.

They’re the first ones I found on a Google image search!

Speaking of Double Dash, in my shotgun replay of every game in the series right now I think the one I’m enjoying the most so far is Double Dash (and not because it was the most expensive one to get :retrogames: :homebrew: ). Having two characters per kart is fun, and the races feel hectic without feeling like the AI is being unfair.

I wonder if there’s a way to do faux LAN stuff and get that game’s multiplayer going. I am playing on a Wii though, I dunno how/if it handles LAN stuff.

Simsmagic posted:

Hell yeah Mario Kart is one of my all time favorite series. At some point I'll try to do a write up of the Sonic kart racers cause they're good and unique in their own right.

Do a write up and I’m more than happy to link it in the OP. :hfive:

Just for laughs I should do a write up on the Burger King Pocketbike Racers game, it’s kart-adjacent . :v:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 10, 2022

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

chaleski posted:

Did anyone else frequently run into hackers in MKDS? I'd often see people equipped with the same item and use it constantly throughout the whole race. My favorite was someone named I'M HACK who repeatedly hit us with the lightning bolt as we were waiting at the starting line

Other than that the game owned hard

Once action replay got in too many hands it was just over, yeah. Either you had a couple friends to play with via friends search (which wasn't actually racing with specific friends, it was racing with whoever you had on your friends list searching for a race at the same time as you) or you got hosed

edit - by the same token it also allowed for better/actual capture footage or what not (I never quite understood the tech, nor did I have an AR) so it was six of one half dozen of the other etc etc. Allowed for much better record sharing & even for TAS time trialing, which led to a ton of new tech/adjustments in the late 00's. So AR wasn't always bad, just when kiddies used it for infinite shrooms/lightnings/things like that. Sometimes you'd run into someone playing disabled tracks online though, which was always nice.

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 10, 2022

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I wonder if there’s a way to do faux LAN stuff and get that game’s multiplayer going. I am playing on a Wii though, I dunno how/if it handles LAN stuff.

Home-brew stuff can be pretty cool so maybeeee there's something around that could facilitate that on actual hardware? Though easiest way I see to play a GC game with other people not physically there would be pc emulation paired with parsec pretty sure.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

- we could use this thread to pore over, study, and discuss every single Mario Kart track in existence.
They're pretty much all going to be in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe by the end of 2023.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Double-dash is loving awesome and I think it's my favorite if it isn't 8 Deluxe.

I started on the SNES and played Battle Mode mostly with my sister. Koopa Troopa was my dude as well and I get the pain.

I never played MK64. I don't have Online Expansion + I may get it eventually... I'm still on the fence. Double-dash was what got me good into Mario Kart though and it was probably the only other game that held our attention against Melee at the time (aside from Ribbit King and Top Shop). I got into MK DS a bit but I was never that good at it.

And now I'm back with MK 8 Deluxe. It's excellent and I think I'm pretty ok at it, though there's two cups I still need to get perfect in on 150cc, so I have yet to touch 200cc. I'll have to check which one's they are but one has that Dragon Circuit and I think the other is the new Rainbow Road. I'll get there eventually.

Bleck posted:

Diddy Kong Racing

I would sincerely love an elaboration on this. I know it's adored by many and was maybe a MK killer at the time? They remade it but it was terrible? I've never played other kart racers. Many have tried but none have come close to MK.

Omnikin posted:

Yeah... but it really wouldn't be Mario Kart. I think Deluxe definitely has a very tight racing mechanics, but Double-dash felt too arcadey to be legitimate, but I really don't know.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Koopa Troopa was my dude as well and I get the pain.

Hell yeah, Koopa Troopa for life, ride or die all day every day.

Although I’m also a big fan of Daisy, even if her voice acting in Double Dash gets old real fast since she shouts “HI I’M DAISY” every time you switch to her or she does anything.

I’m spoiled because I have a ton of retro consoles hooked up to my TV so I can fire up pretty much any console Mario Kart I want at a moment’s notice, and I’ve got a hacked 3DS with Mario Kart Super Circuit and then physical copies of MK DS and 7, so I can play whatever MK I want other than, like, the arcade games lol.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Sounds like it's time for you to buy an arcade machine then. :colbert:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Mario Kart Wii.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Trip report: I got Mario Kart Home Circuit up and running, and I've got my cat chasing the kart around the house.

10/10 A+++++ would kart again

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I would sincerely love an elaboration on this. I know it's adored by many and was maybe a MK killer at the time? They remade it but it was terrible? I've never played other kart racers. Many have tried but none have come close to MK.

Diddy Kong Racing is a kart racer with a story mode, starring Diddy Kong, Banjo, Conker, and various other Rare OCs that only appear in that game.

It has your standard light/medium/heavy split of character classes, drifting, items, boosts, and battle arenas. Except items can upgrade. You get items from different colored balloons: red, blue, green, and rainbow. Get a red balloon and you get a missile (basically a green shell). Pick up a second red balloon (without touching a different color) and you get a homing missile (red shell). Pick up a third red balloon and your missiles are fully powered up and you get 10 missiles. (So think like a triple green shell, except you get 10 of them). There's an element of strategy to it where you decide to use an item right away, or try to upgrade it.

Oh and unlike Mario Kart 64, there are different vehicles! You also get hover crafts and planes.

It also has challenges beyond "get first place in every course." There's the infamous Silver Coin Challenge, where you need to collect 8 Silver Coins scattered throughout the course, and then come in first place. They start out pretty easy, but pretty soon you end up having to go pretty out of your way to get them, so it becomes a challenge to claw your way back up to first place.

Imo it's a better game than Mario Kart 64, but not any later Mario Karts, of course. It's still an N64 game.

The DS remake of it is terrible because they didn't get the licensing to any of the original Rare characters like Banjo and Conker. Instead of replacing them with characters of a similar weight class, they just threw Dixie and Tiny in, and they were both "average" class like Diddy was. It made the roster a lot more boring. Oh and also to get a boost from the starting line you had to spin a fan on your touchscreen like cranking up a windup toy. I'm not kidding. It was extremely dumb.

Interestingly, Sony tried their hand at a kart racer on the Playstation called Crash Team Racing (CTR), and it was heavily touted as a "Mario Kart killer". As a child, I wrote it off as a blatant ripoff of Mario Kart and never played it.

Turns out it's a ripoff of Diddy Kong Racing. If I had known that I would have played it instead of ignoring it until the remake came out a few years ago. :v: I love Diddy Kong Racing and CTR is also very good.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Diddy Kong racing was also hard. The bosses took many tries to beat, and the first WizPig race needed you to nail every booster perfectly (which required doing a weird power slide into the booster), and careful management of the items. The margin for error was practically zero.