Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I hadn't noticed at first that Sky-High Sundae was an original track. That makes sense in retrospect, it has the most vertical depth and stacked track segments. Pretty neat, I thought they'd all be remade ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
New wave coming December 7th. No N64, GC, or SNES courses, 3 from Tour. Admittedly Boo Lake is basically Boo Boardwalk (much like Moo Moo Meadows was Moo Moo Farm.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iaCRaF8ET8

It's too bad Nintendo won't pay to record proper music for the new tracks. After being spoiled by the orchestral MK8 recordings, it's hard to go back to synth...

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Wave 3 is fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dancing Peasant posted:

Wave 3 is fun.

I checked out a few of the tracks and that holiday themed one looks gorgeous.

Has anyone played with all blue shells, all the time yet?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Lol that the Berlin Wall has Thwomps in the gaps.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

Blue Shells only, 200cc, Baby Park

Alternatively, replace with Bullet Bills only and it’s just the best NASCAR race

fake edit: Lightning only, 50cc, Baby Park

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
3DS Rainbow Road is one of the best tracks in the history of the franchise. There are a lot of good courses in this pack overall and some very tricky turns.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Finally got a chance to run through the new tracks and yep, seems like a solid batch. Peach Gardens is the one that I remember giving me a weird amount of trouble over- or under-steering for turns, it has a lot of corners that catch me out. I thought it was pretty cute that you can ride through the tram on the Berlin track, although I'm not sure it actually benefits you. I liked Merry Mountain's vibes, but it was a bit simpler than I expected - it seems like the new tracks we've gotten in the previous updates did more fun stuff with vertically split paths so I was expecting more of that. Overall I also think the 3DS Rainbow Road was the standout here, just neat design overall.

My main complaint is that I still think they should've trickled out the courses in half the number of updates. I'm in the middle of other stuff right now, and it's harder to want to take the time off to get back into multiplayer when there's such a comparatively small number of new tracks mixed into a big rotation each time around. Oh well.

Dancing Peasant posted:

Lightning only, 50cc, Baby Park

You monster :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd love it if there was a battle mode map offered with each of these updates. I want more battle arenas!

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/nintendouk/status/1631293899128946690

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

The victory music on Yoshi’s Island track makes me so happy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I stopped playing this because I was playing the mobile game a lot and destroyed my muscle memory then I stopped playing the mobile game because it was just constantly throwing weapons at you even in the NPC races, just felt like the prime objective of the game was to actively sabotage you specifically and it was stressing me out so I’ve gone back to this, and…..it now feels like it’s doing the same thing? Like I am doing the 50cc cups of the booster pass courses for the trophies and every single race has thrown (I promise this is not an exaggeration) two blue shells, one or two lightnings, and just a ton of red shells at me. I’m still winning ofc because 50cc but I rarely if ever end a race with 10 coins because it’s always hitting me with poo poo. Did they up the rate of this stuff? Or was it always this way and I am just mental?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I dunno, I experience the same thing even on 50cc. I just expect to be playing defensively all the time and to be hit with random bullshit.

It does feel good when I have a horn in my back pocket and can use it to counter a blue shell. :cool:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's why lightning is the most BS item despite the blue shell getting the pop culture notoriety, an uncounterable attack that hurts everyone else in the game in multiple ways is so much more annoying than one targeting the leader that can be negated with a bit of luck.

Haven't gotten around to the latest tracks yet, they dropped at a time when I already had multiple stuff lined up to play. Think I'll give em a try once the shine has worn off rerunning the Resident Evil 4 remake.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
You have to expect that in most races if you're in or near 1st you will be on the receiving end of at least a Lightning and a Blue Shell. Definitely not uncommon for multiples of one or the other, either, especially online.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Lightning is maybe the most powerful it's ever been in 8, for one particular reason. Something I've noticed is that the game is incredibly generous with its i-frames; there's pretty much just the one "damaged" state that's shared across all attack items and course hazards, and it leaves you invincible far longer than you might expect afterwards... except for lightning. Not only does lightning not grant any i-frames, not that I've noticed anyway, it also doesn't give a poo poo about i-frames you already have. You're getting hit by it, no matter what. I also don't think falling off clears the shrinking effect like it does in some of the games? Don't quote me on that part though.

Fake edit: Oh, it's also the only attack in this entry (other than boo) that makes you lose your items.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Cattail Prophet posted:

Lightning is maybe the most powerful it's ever been in 8, for one particular reason. Something I've noticed is that the game is incredibly generous with its i-frames; there's pretty much just the one "damaged" state that's shared across all attack items and course hazards, and it leaves you invincible far longer than you might expect afterwards... except for lightning. Not only does lightning not grant any i-frames, not that I've noticed anyway, it also doesn't give a poo poo about i-frames you already have. You're getting hit by it, no matter what. I also don't think falling off clears the shrinking effect like it does in some of the games? Don't quote me on that part though.

Fake edit: Oh, it's also the only attack in this entry (other than boo) that makes you lose your items.

You only get small and don't lose more coins in your i frame (thanks for the term!) window when hit by lightning, nor does it stop or slow you down (besides that you go a bit slower while tiny). You do lose your items of course. And if you take shock hit, you are invincible for a few moments.

Mummy Napkin
Mar 18, 2018
You truly can't go back after playing 200cc lobbies. 150 is too drat slow.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

the final wave is good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still no Delfino Square. Nintendo have shamed themselves extremely hard with this one. How will they ever recover

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Still no Delfino Square Wario Coliseum. Nintendo have shamed themselves extremely hard with this one. How will they ever recover

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I like that they added in a new ending for the DLC. That was unexpected.

Good set of courses. Bowser Castle 3 is a really cool re-imagining. Glad we got a completely authentic SNES course and an insane remake during the DLC.

I've played so much F-Zero 99 that when I loaded up the game I held down B and couldn't figure out why I wasn't moving, then kept realizing I was playing with the D-Pad instead of the stick.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man, I haven't played this game in a bit. The upside is that I have both of the last two content waves to check out, that's a nice surprise heading into the weekend!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

I like that they added in a new ending for the DLC. That was unexpected.

What's the new ending? I haven't played through it yet.

pwn
May 27, 2004

At the end

Yes it's a smartass reply but literally it's after the last track in the last cup.

Edit: i am the stupid head, WHAT'S the new ending. A vertical pan-down of a bunch of clips in the framing of postcards as the Booster dev team credits roll, with location stickers a la Super Mario Odyssey, as a medley of the new tracks plays. Ends with a very Nintendo-esque "Thanks for Playing!" "photograph" of all the racers. Suitable for Booster Pass' lower-budget reality, it was honestly touching.

I realised that the Booster Pass has been going on the full length of the Ukraine war. Useless thought but it made me glad that I've had a better 20 months, playing Mariokart. :/

They also added a jukebox (main menu, at the bottom with all those little icons you never use like MKTV, far left). Now I can listen to Mariokart 8 music whenever i want!!

Well, I already could, I bought the japanese OST CD back in 2017. But for normal brain people this is cool. Plus you can easily hear all the new music, mixed bag that it is. I still hope they release a follow-up supplementary CD for the New 48. They could also add the Deluxe's battle mode music since that's not on the original soundtrack.

I really like this final wave, it feels like the devs went extra-hard on it. Initial disappointment over no Gamecube Rainbow Road dissolved as I realised Wii RR was the superior choice, taking all the mechanics of GC's and refining them. I'm assuming similar stories with GBA and DS Rainbows, that they were redundant? I never played the handheld or Wii Marios kart, so I can only guess.

But yeah. Only two tour courses, and the Rome Avanti I actually dug quite a bit! What a surprise! They were all a blast and the second ending is delightful. Great job B team, you were given limited resources and did an outstanding job.

pwn fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 10, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's the new ending? I haven't played through it yet.

It's just a new credit sequence and music that's mostly from the tracks being displayed. It's a bit more artsy and effort than the previous credit sequence so it's nice.
I don't think you unlock any new title screen art for 100% on all the new dlc though which is a little lame.

New credits here for those that don't want to do it themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNrQol6fZBE

E: Also any goons want to play sometime? I'm pretty alright, not amazing.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 16, 2023

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Grey Cat posted:

It's just a new credit sequence and music that's mostly from the tracks being displayed. It's a bit more artsy and effort than the previous credit sequence so it's nice.
I don't think you unlock any new title screen art for 100% on all the new dlc though which is a little lame.

New credits here for those that don't want to do it themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNrQol6fZBE

E: Also any goons want to play sometime? I'm pretty alright, not amazing.

The Nintengoons discord does occasional Mario Kart nights. The next one is on the 26th at 7pm central.

Discord link https://discord.com/invite/XZ4zHuQe

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

I just joined, wth is this vouch thing lol

edit: i’m in

Dancing Peasant fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 17, 2023

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

We got a room up for the nex hour. ID is 6B4RF.

pwn
May 27, 2004

You can have 30 points?? I thought everyone started at 1000

Edit oh i see the points thing is totally different in friend rooms :shobon:

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 27, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

Good game folks, i had a blast. Usually play later at night so now I have chores to catch up on.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Next one will be December 10, 7pm central.

https://discord.com/events/287273520747249665/1178526961665056851

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Apologies for the last Mario Kart event. I had covid, and in the ensuing chaos I had forgotten about it. A new one will be scheduled shortly.