Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah maybe I'm just going crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

TheBizzness posted:

The best shows have the least popular or no thread at all. IMO.

An upshot of this is that the threads are much easier to keep up with, unlike the threads with endless conversation for shows like Better Call Saul or Rick and Morty. I hate when you have 12 pages of discussion that come up between episodes because people feel the need to overanalyze the show.

the_american_dream posted:

Kind of wish these detour episodes were just a different show at this point. They’re good but I’m here for the adventures of Paper Boi n Friends

Especially since the show is ending.

I could have taken or left the Justin Bartha derail episode. If you have 14 episodes left after four years off, give us as much Paper Boi n Friends and as little Don Glover's Short Film Theatre as we can.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 26, 2022

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like people have fallen for the "this is a show about Earn Marks, his best friends Paper Boi and Darius, and his on-and-off partner Van" bait-and-switch since season 1. this is the Don Glover and Hiro Murai Short Film Half-Hour, like it or not

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Eh season 2 was that as well. I haven’t looked it up but I’m pretty sure the only real departure was teddy Perkins and I’m not sure I count that since it was directly related to the main group.

Like I said haven’t looked it up so could be wrong but don’t remember any episodes without them prior to this season. Including the Drake house one since that was Van centric with Darius.

Ok yea I looked it up I’m very confused on what you mean? All the episodes up until this season dealt with the group directly

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 26, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The vignette episodes are fantastic, y'all are goofy.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The principal actors being in a story doesn't necessarily mean the story embodies the adventures of Paper Boi n Friends, which I take as basically this image:

In past seasons we had B.A.N., where only Alfred appears in the episode's sketch show format, unconnected to a larger story; Teddy Perkins, where Darius is basically just a Lovecraft protagonist; or FUBU where they're kids and Darius and Van are absent. Both seasons have also had seemingly important plotlines that then get dropped like the Bieber feud, Van's employment status, or the Clark County tour. It's never been just a hangout show, is all I'm saying.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If we didn't have the "vignette" episodes, this season would only be seven episodes long.

I'm fine with getting almost 50% more Atlanta than we otherwise would have received.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

+1 to I wish it was separately one show about the core 4 and one show where murai and glover do high concept shorts

I just love them both and want more

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Mameluke posted:

The principal actors being in a story doesn't necessarily mean the story embodies the adventures of Paper Boi n Friends, which I take as basically this image:

In past seasons we had B.A.N., where only Alfred appears in the episode's sketch show format, unconnected to a larger story; Teddy Perkins, where Darius is basically just a Lovecraft protagonist; or FUBU where they're kids and Darius and Van are absent. Both seasons have also had seemingly important plotlines that then get dropped like the Bieber feud, Van's employment status, or the Clark County tour. It's never been just a hangout show, is all I'm saying.

…yea so none where the cast was completely absent before this season, correct.

The vignette episodes are good, I said as much in the original post I just wish they were their own thing. Not sure why that’s controversial, especially when there’s not that many episodes left.

Open Source Idiom posted:

If we didn't have the "vignette" episodes, this season would only be seven episodes long.

I'm fine with getting almost 50% more Atlanta than we otherwise would have received.

And I’d counter that those aren’t really Atlanta so much as Don Glover presents: Twilight Zone ‘22

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
THIS WEEK ON A VERY SPECIAL ATLANTA

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
okay man

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
maybe Socks is working for that one dude that told Earn he would destroy him and so stole the phone to mess poo poo up for Paper Boi and crew. makes u think

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Only just caught up on the episode and I really dug it. And yeah, the Darius plotline was incredibly grounded and straightforward, I loved that even his little defiant moment of "gently caress this" at the end was undercut by the lady running by throwing him off balance by telling him he should have recycled his trash.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just caught up on Restitution episode and lmao that was great. lets do it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
lol at Chet Haze but this was definitely the worst short film episode.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

lol at Chet Haze but this was definitely the worst short film episode.

45 seconds into this i said "drat everyone is gonna hate this." it was alright.

somethin real bad is gonna happen at the end of this season, huh

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
This is the only one I haven't really cared for so far. My Trinidadian nanny was nothing like that.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
It felt like 2/3 of a script stretched out to fill time.

What was the picture on dad's phone that ended up not mattering?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Nonexistence posted:

What was the picture on dad's phone that ended up not mattering?

it appears to be a monkey's rear end in a top hat and the AirDrop notification says it was sent from Gooch Lickman

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Good episode, definitely the weakest though.

Add me to the group wishing we had 100% of the episodes dedicated to Earn and PB despite liking the vignettes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wtf did he get airdropped at the funeral? A picture of a butthole or something I couldn’t tell what that was or how it related to the story at all.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Wtf did he get airdropped at the funeral? A picture of a butthole or something I couldn’t tell what that was or how it related to the story at all.

a picture of a monkey's rear end in a top hat. "higher the monkey climbs, the more he shows his rear end" is apparently a commonly used phrase in Trinidad, it might have been directly said in the episode itself but I can't remember. presumably one of the fine folks at the event (imo Curtis/Chet did it) thinks the dad has shown himself to be a bit incompetent

e: gooch lickman also 100% a Chet Hanks character thing to do

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hooooooly loving poo poo this week’s episode

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Escobarbarian posted:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What a great cameo

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Escobarbarian posted:

Best show airing goddamn

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nemo posted:

Best show airing goddamn

It really is. I know people have complained about the Donald Glover presents: Twilight Zone but I have loved this show so much. This episode was so goddamn good although my friend watching it with me said I was like Darius if he was a thousand times more awkward, mumbly stoner. Think he was mainly complaining about me being broke but still dragging him into crazy poo poo. Sad we aren't getting more adventures with Paper Boi and friends. I'm gonna really miss this show and rewatch it often.

Also the goon that remarked this thread is kinda dead... I've been lurking. This show HAS to be insanely popular right? It's too good.

Jerusalem posted:

Only just caught up on the episode and I really dug it. And yeah, the Darius plotline was incredibly grounded and straightforward, I loved that even his little defiant moment of "gently caress this" at the end was undercut by the lady running by throwing him off balance by telling him he should have recycled his trash.
That scene where the white lady casually mentions stealing the restaurant from the family that ran it and was opening up some "trendy" white place just got to me. The scene before was really touching and then it ends like that. Like I was legit mad and fuming. Then he goes to toss the trash and the lady tells him to recycle and I died laughing. Atlanta is so good at that kind of emotional roller coaster.

This new episode was one of my favourite. Makes me want to rewatch the Woods episode again. Saw those young Brits tossing a baby and was amazed how they perfectly captured the typical young English lad out for a weekend in Amsterdam a few years back. Needed more uses of the word c*nt though.

6 more right? If we have to get another Twilight Zone type ep it better be a solo Van or Darius adventure. Almost wish we could get a solo or mostly solo ep for each of them but don't think we have the time. Glad Earn secured the masters as, considering the road from season 1, I want Earn and Al to stay family and tight.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 6, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Two more this season. Dunno how many will be in the final season; the first two seasons had twenty one between them. This had seven and was extended by another three to ten.

So maybe twelve more at most, I unno.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
How many white celebs with weird transgressions against black people can they get?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't believe he agreed to do that part. Amazing lol

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I can't believe he agreed to do that part. Amazing lol

Yeah. His delivery was amazing too. I know he’s a Oscar winning big timer but still… just the quiet menace in his eyes as he delivered some of those lines and addressing a real life situation.

Looking up that special treat online to see if it’s real led me to some reviews that had interesting takes. They came down hard on Earn and Darius. Earn seemed genuine to me but what do you guys think? Also I don’t think Darius is deliberately using Al it’s just he’s broke and Paper Boi has plenty of papers. I know Darius is broker now and in a foreign land and, again, Al has money. A little moochy yeah but not overtly parasitic like the one review said. Just feel that’s a little hard considering I always felt Darius and Earn at least try and give back and do when they can. Maybe I’m just projecting and now worried I’m a mooch. Can definitely feel Paper Boi starting to get annoyed and hope this doesn’t end with him going full Hollywood and ditching his boys. Feel like Earn and Darius got his back even if they gently caress up sometimes.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 7, 2022

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

How many white celebs with weird transgressions against black people can they get?

Kramer going to start heckling Paper Boi at a show

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Kramer going to start heckling Paper Boi at a show

His Curb run already addressed it perfectly

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

What a great cameo
I was dyin when he showed up on Derry Girls, and then he tops it with this. Love it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just recently caught up with episode 7 and really enjoyed it, but then I caught this latest episode and holy gently caress it was so goddamn good. The one-off stories are fine and even really, really good and in any other show I'd be more than happy to be getting that quality weekly, but the main cast just bring something extra to it and I do wish we could just get them every single week.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

That episode was a true return to form for Atlanta. The entire season prior to this felt weak compared to the rest of what the show has been.

I haven't seen episode 7 yet because it's a derail and I can Circle back around to it whenever.

Jerusalem posted:

I just recently caught up with episode 7 and really enjoyed it, but then I caught this latest episode and holy gently caress it was so goddamn good. The one-off stories are fine and even really, really good and in any other show I'd be more than happy to be getting that quality weekly, but the main cast just bring something extra to it and I do wish we could just get them every single week.

I just wish the one-off stories involved the main cast. Barbershop is my favorite episode of the entire series.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s night time?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

I just wish the one-off stories involved the main cast. Barbershop is my favorite episode of the entire series.

Oh yeah, Barbershop was fantastic, and of course Teddy Perkins which is my favorite uses Darius as the main character.

Also goddamn I forgot they were back-to-back episodes.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I have a hard time choosing between Teddy Perkins and The Woods for my favorite. Honestly 3 Slaps is a contender as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Just caught up this season. Man I love how creepy and weird the Europeans are haha. It’s such a contrast from most media portrayals of that continent. Remember the German folk parade episode? Same vibe but for the whole season