Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
https://twitter.com/ChristophGolden/status/1760331987821207909

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Did any goon in this thread ever listen to this and give feedback? Maybe it just wasn’t very well-received among fans.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pan Dulce posted:

Did any goon in this thread ever listen to this and give feedback? Maybe it just wasn’t very well-received among fans.

I listened to it and I didn't love it. It's very much a Benson/Golden joint, so if you're familiar with their writing you'll get that it's fairly different from Buffy. It also struggled with the audio medium -- so many fight scenes, I guess because Buffy had fight scenes every episode -- and a lot of bad exposition.

There's some decent-ish stuff, but nothing to write home about, and since the story's dealing with alternate universe versions of most of the characters they're often very, very different to the regular characters.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I can't say the core premise really interested me in that format, I imagine ultimately the amount of people still interested in Buffy stuff to the extent they're willing to pay for it is relatively low and a lot probably never even heard this thing existed. Then companies in general are just always looking to cut stuff but especially now.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Who's face is that between Anya and Cordy?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

must be a comic or original character for the thing, i don't recognise her

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
She's a new character made for the story, a Gen Z slayer type.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like Angel Season 4 but Soulless really lives down to its name. It needed an extra complication to its plot, because the Angelus as Hannibal scenes just go on and on and on. I know this part of the season gets better when there are more elements in play.

Finished Firefly the series with my mates. Saving Serenity for a little bit. The series mostly holds up IMO, with the caveats of the time they were working for. The episodes that did the most for me this time around were War Stories (very funny) and Objects In Space, though The Message, Jamestown and the Christina Hendricks episodes are strong too.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Every scene across both shows that features Angelus just goes on for way too long. Angelus was great as a one-off story, but they kept bringing him back and that required every other character to be written like morons.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Back (after a long hiatus watching Abbott Elementary) to watch Angel and Buffy! Today we saw Angel S1 E12 an 13, Expecting and She. Minor notes. Ken Frickin' Marino!!! As baby-faced as he has ever been, practicing his shooting for when he inevitably becomes captain in Brooklyn 99! I loved it.

Fight choreography wasn't bad. And hey, look, pregnant Cordelia rears her demon-possessed head! I wonder if this story bears repeating...

Gotta say those prairie-woman white dresses appear to have been expensive to make since they use them in both this episode and the next one. You costumers, trying to be sly, I see you!

She was funny as hell, what with the glowy-back lady boners, trying to squeeze beans with vamp strength to grind them, as well as the whole Angel having to take a cold bracing shower for sweat... yeah, sweat. And the dancing! The Angel and Wesley dancing!!! One of my favorite clips to go back to.

Cordelia insult that doesn't look great in hindsight: "She thought you hated her. I had to tell her you were just challenged."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8fcH8I4bp0&t=38s

Angel really is the best when he's not brooding and being a total goofball.

We kept going and watched the next Angel episode, S1 E14, I've Got You Under My Skin. Demonio child was acted very well. I loved when he started choking out his mom with his lil' hands, it reminded me of Stan in American Dad, AKA Baby Legs O'Houlihan and I just cracked up.

Also, this episode shows so much in terms of Wesley. "A father doesn't have to be possessed to terrorize his children." Foreshadowing his own failure of a father. Not to mention tossing the cross casually at Angel in the church and being blithely sarcastic about it. Shows mettle and wit, which future Wesley has in spades.

Did we already establish exactly how Drusilla was turned? Because if it hadn't been shown, this nun acting supremely annoyed at Angel entering the church would have been a huge tell: nuns talk.

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 27, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pan Dulce posted:

Did we already establish exactly how Drusilla was turned? Because if it hadn't been shown, this nun acting supremely annoyed at Angel entering the church would have been a huge tell: nuns talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0VK-FdpuZY

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

And to answer what I think the poster was asking, that was in Buffy S2.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

And to answer what I think the poster was asking, that was in Buffy S2.

Yep. But the one, two post combo was great proof.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pan Dulce posted:

We kept going and watched the next Angel episode, S1 E14, I've Got You Under My Skin. Demonio child was acted very well. I loved when he started choking out his mom with his lil' hands, it reminded me of Stan in American Dad, AKA Baby Legs O'Houlihan and I just cracked up.

That's one of my favorite Season 1 episodes. I've mentioned it before, but I love the idea of a demon possessing a child and then immediately regretting it because the child is more evil than the demon.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I'm going through an Angel rewatch currently and this time around I'm particularly appreciating how good Charisma Carpenter is, like man she is just going for it at all times ... which just makes it all the more infuriating what Cordelia goes thru in later seasons and how Charisma was treated off camera by Whedon.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Saw Angel S1E15, Prodigal. Cordy had some zingy one-liners I loved, but what stood out to me was the racism behind, "Angel... that's not a Mexican name, is it?" (disgusted face). Why? Why we gotta have this type of humor in the year of our Lord, 2000? You know what? Sorry Kate, I'm glad the crooked racist cop is dead, even if he was your dad.

Also, the return of "They're after me Lucky Charms!" Irish Liam! And Christina Hendricks, looking very va-va-va-voom. Weird she's completely upstaged as seductress of the episode (I saw her on Mad Men first) by Darla. And I love how Darla signs out her appearance by basically telling Angel, "Yeah, killing him means you'll have daddy issues for the rest of your unlife."

I knew this before, I've seen the series before, but it just hits home again that Liam killed his little sister, who invited him in thinking he was an angel. And he used that for his moniker and still uses it as a "redeemed warrior." Gross. The character deserves to stay in hell, not just visit it between Buffy seasons.

Then continued and saw the next two episodes of Buffy on the watchlist, S4E15&16, This Year's Girl and Who Are You. The dream right off the bat telling her "little sister's coming" I didn't catch my first watch-through but now? Fun! Also, I love the fact that in her dream, Faith is wearing the dress the Mayor gave her, the little pink number. It's an innocent picnic with her father figure and Buffy is seen as the villain. When I rolled my eyes HARD at this (I don't like Faith much), my husband paused and said, "Well, she's on a show called BUFFY the Vampire Slayer. Of course on that show, Buffy is right. But to Faith? Buffy's the villain of Faith's own personal show."

Ever notice when you see the flayed demon tied up to the trees in the forest, Willow is in the back, looking at it? Maybe that's where she got the idea for Warren's demise from that.

We also cracked up when seeing goofy rear end Big Bad, Adam. "50% Man, 50% Demon, 50% Robot"

On another note, I love that watching the season again, I GET the bi-bi-bi energy Faith is giving in terms of her obsession with Buffy and how she was forgotten for a new boy toy. My husband tended to think it was more her wanting to -BE- Buffy and got a kick out of the Freaky Friday shenanigans that happened in the second episode.

Ever notice the more "Faith" she is in Buffy's body, the curlier her hair gets and the more "Buffy" she is in Faith's body, the straighter her hair gets? Just an interesting hair/makeup design.

I like that Spike gets interested in being with Buffy seemingly this episode, when the person inhabiting the body isn't even Buffy. Hard OUCH towards the new boyfriend, Riley, having the first sleepover with your body while it's being inhabited by your enemy. Real gut punches all around.

The comparison between the Riley/Faith sex scene with the spell that has the Wiccas hot and bothered was a cool contrast too. In fact, I gotta say, on rewatch, I really love the Tillow this season. It's just the weirdness that comes in when Willow gets all uppity about being a powerful witch and becomes overbearing and addicted to magic that ruins Tillow entirely for me. I'm just going to enjoy S4 Tillow. Maybe see if S5 Tillow is just as good.

Also, nice to see Faith become a member of the Boxcar Children in the last scene.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

I don't know much about like aspect ratios and HD and SD (aside from the obvious eye test), so with that in mind:

is it actually possible for BtVS to be presented in HD or will it inevitably look like that one fresco of Jesus in that spanish church that was "restored"?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Doctor Teeth posted:

I don't know much about like aspect ratios and HD and SD (aside from the obvious eye test), so with that in mind:

is it actually possible for BtVS to be presented in HD or will it inevitably look like that one fresco of Jesus in that spanish church that was "restored"?

It was shot on film, so in principle it should be possible to do a TNG-style restoration. You might want to redo the effects, and the costumes would look shoddy and the stunt doubles would be even more obvious, but it's possible.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

There's also that the shots were framed for a 4:3 aspect ratio so anything outside that is essentially not supposed to be part of the show, which leads to all kinds of stuff like crew in the shots and cast members not acting because they think they aren't on screen.

I've never actually watched the wide screen version but this is what I've read happens and it makes sense. They have the widescreen footage and use it for the HD version, but the show is not being staged for widescreen, it's being staged for 4:3. So, even when there's nothing obviously wrong in a shot, the extra space is just going to mess up the composition.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Can they not crop the widescreen version or is it one of those things where there probably won't be enough people buying a blu ray to make it worth the time, effort and money?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Even if a Blu-ray release were financially viable there's still the possibility that the people in charge would consider widescreen "better" than 4:3, at least for sales - like with the reframing of The Wire on Blu-ray for 16:9

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Doctor Teeth posted:

Can they not crop the widescreen version or is it one of those things where there probably won't be enough people buying a blu ray to make it worth the time, effort and money?

The TNG Blu-ray remaster was in 4:3 just like the original, yeah.

But yeah there was probably no better candidate, market-wise, for an HD remaster than TNG, and it clearly didn't do well enough for Paramount to move on to DS9 and Voyager. No shot Buffy can commercially justify itself.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
I’d just settle for someone taking the HD versions and rematching the colour grading with the originals, which I’m pretty sure can be largely automated now. That show had a very specific gothic horror look that was completely lost

Yeah, the effect shots would still look fuzzy, but they’re usually pretty quick fire anyway, didn’t look great even at the time, and they’re a lot more noticeable just the colours suddenly change for a 3 second shot. Not worth redoing TNG style, especially since it was a lot more CGI - maybe an AI upscale if it could be done cheaply enough? But just having the colours not wildly change for a shot would be a big help I think.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Before he was rightfully banished from public life Joss Whedon said he was looking into the Buffy HD Remasters with the intent of ensuring they were redone correctly. I suspect any attempt to move forward on the project got caught up in that and is as dead as a dodo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think you can really feel the production issues around the middle of Angel season four. The writing just gets a lot weaker, and unless the episode is specifically about them (e.g. Wesley in Salvage) the characters spend an awful lot of time just sitting around the lobby.

I guess part of this is by design, since they're telling a story about the characters being subverted from within and dealing with the loss / disruption of their leadership structure -- leading up to the return of Faith, and following her, Angel -- but it's not particularly engaging to watch week-in, week-out. The dialogue also takes a noticeable dip in quality. I know the back half of the season is very, very strong though, and I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

I suspect the intention was to have Cordelia take a more active role in manipulating events, but Carpenter's desire for reduced screentime (to protect a vulnerable pregnancy) forced hasty script rewrites. That, and the general production strife at the time resulted in the overall quality of the show suffering.

It doesn't help that Angelus kind of sucks here, and the Beast -- though very strong in his early showing -- mostly just spends the latter half of his screentime sitting around a factory. If you can't afford to give him a fight scene, then give him something interesting to do, say or think, guys, come on.

I do think there's some good material here, though. Lilah's predeath episode is pants, just an absolutely useless summation of her character, but her postdeath scenes are very strong. And I'm happy to see Dushku again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

I forgot that the adults perform Louie, Louie during the Adults Become Teenagers Again Through the Magic of Chocolate episode and that it's still more intelligible than the kingsmen's version