Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

fawning deference posted:

In a keeper league it's definitely different, and it's different for top 5 prospects most of the time. In this case, all Riley Greene will cost me is a waiver priority and his potential is one of the best players in baseball within a couple of seasons. No risk, limitless upside.

All according to FanGraphs:
2021 Top 5 :
Wander Franco
MacKenzie Gore
Adley Rutschman
Randy Arozarena
Jarred Kelenic

2020 Top 5:
Wander Franco
Gavin Lux
Mackenzie Gore
Jo Adell
Adley Rutschman

2019 Top 5:
Vlad Guerrero Jr
Wander Franco
Fernando Tatis Jr
Forrest Whitely
Victor Robles

2018 Top 5:
Shohei Ohtani
Ronald Acuna
Vlad Guerrero Jr
Victor Robles
Fernando Tatis Jr

2017 Top 5:
Yoan Moncada
Andrew Benintendi
Amed Rosario
Dansby Swanson
Austin Meadows

I was curious so I looked back the last 5 years per FanGraphs rankings. Definitely a mixed bag. Some obvious wins, but even there players like Wander, Vlad Jr, or Tatis took a few years to bring back value.

I think like you said, it all comes down to cost. Late in a draft as a lottery ticket sure, but I wont spend a lot or use a top 15 pick on prospects personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

So I drew first pick in a weekly H2H. I assume Ohtani right? I haven’t done fantasy baseball in 4-5 years because of burnout so I’m getting back into one this year.

So I go Ohtani at 1, snake draft, what can I expect at 16 & 17 (8 team league), or what should I target? Just go best available? Split a hitter and pitcher? Maybe I should do a mock draft tonight to get an idea of what to do.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Douchebag posted:

So I drew first pick in a weekly H2H. I assume Ohtani right? I haven’t done fantasy baseball in 4-5 years because of burnout so I’m getting back into one this year.

So I go Ohtani at 1, snake draft, what can I expect at 16 & 17 (8 team league), or what should I target? Just go best available? Split a hitter and pitcher? Maybe I should do a mock draft tonight to get an idea of what to do.

If you go Ohtani then lay off drafting a pitcher for your next two picks, you could maybe even stretch a third pick before taking another pitcher. Way more difficult to get a good hitter than a good pitcher off the waiver wire.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

General Bullshit posted:

If you go Ohtani then lay off drafting a pitcher for your next two picks, you could maybe even stretch a third pick before taking another pitcher. Way more difficult to get a good hitter than a good pitcher off the waiver wire.

Hitter Ohtani or pitcher Ohtani? Or does he count as both in your league?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Hitter Ohtani or pitcher Ohtani? Or does he count as both in your league?

ESPN league, counts as DH and SP.

EDIT: He can be used either way on ESPN, just not at the same time. So with a weekly league his worth might not be as high.

Douchebag fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 5, 2022

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Weekly rosters really hurts Ohtani's value. First overall is between Juan Soto and Trea Turner as far as I'm concerned, and the choice comes down to how you feel about steals.

Speaking of, I got first pick in my 12-tm 7x7 H2H league tonight:

Saves are a mess but I knew they were going to be, and this is the first time we've finished a draft in this league where I was thinking "Wow there are so many dudes left out there!" so either I'm getting better at this or I'm getting stupider and only time will tell which one it is. I already have eyes on dudes to fill the spots for Urias and Baz once they officially hit the IL.

EDIT: Also realizing my rankings sheet is way higher on McMahon than any projection system, weird.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 6, 2022

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Drafted my final league tonight, a $20 yahoo prize league.

This team should be fun if nothing else, but I am pretty pleased with it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
drat, that is a fun team. I was going to chide you for grabbing Tatis so early but then getting Witt in the 7th? Brilliant.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Pretty encouraging article about deGrom. From a 3rd party doctor (so not the clown Mets doctors)

https://sports.yahoo.com/jacob-degrom-return-kind-production-204705224.html

tl;dr: his injury should heal well and he should be back to full strength in 6-8 weeks and it's unlikely to re-occur.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I went with Ohtani, Turner fell to 8th and I almost got Trout for my 2nd pick but he went 15th. I stopped after 20 and let it go because I had something come up so it auto drafted from there.

Also, it's a weekly league with daily lineup changes. So I can pitch Ohtani once a week and still get the DH spot from him the rest of the week. Sure he could jack 3 homers the day he pitches but oh well at least I get to maximize him as best as possible.

Shohei Ohtani LAA, DH
Kyle Tucker Hou, RF
Manny Machado SD, 3B
Whit Merrifield KC, 2B
Lucas Giolito ChW, SP
Trevor Story Bos, SS
Julio Urias LAD, SP
J.D. Martinez Bos, LF
Carlos Correa Min, SS
Jared Walsh LAA, 1B
Will Smith LAD, C
Charlie Morton Atl, SP
Craig Kimbrel LAD, RP
Aroldis Chapman NYY, RP
Anthony Rizzo NYY, 1B
Lourdes Gurriel Jr. Tor, LF
Nathan Eovaldi Bos, SP
Shane McClanahan TB, SP
Austin Meadows Det, LF
Joey Gallo NYY, LF

Douchebag fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 6, 2022

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Wander Franco and Ryan Pressley for Corbin Burnes in a keeper league that highly emphasizes relievers with scoring for - W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, K/9?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I saw this guy could possibly be the Orioles closer...

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lopezjo02.shtml

He has a career 6.04 ERA... going into his 7th MLB season.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think Ohtani is the pick in h2h if he's both positions. He went #1 in the expensive league I'm in and the guy who took him was one of three people who knew what they were doing. We have a little extra weighted points to starters so it makes obvious sense in my league. I took Acuna early last year in the same league and he rivaled top SP starting points but I think with ESPN's scoring it's just smarter to take an elite pitcher and forget about it. Or you get into a league that lets you take Bichette in the 4th round like mine did.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I clearly made the right choice keeping Bro'Neill.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I clearly made the right choice keeping Bro'Neill.

Kicking myself I didn't draft him in every league. I forgot about him and someone scooped him up.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Drafted my final league tonight, a $20 yahoo prize league.

This team should be fun if nothing else, but I am pretty pleased with it.

You have Schwarber. You win.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Jose Berrios :negative:
Camilo Doval :negative:
Eduardo Rodriguez :negative:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Very excited I have Buxton for 90 games again this year!

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The injury gods will never let us have a full season of Buxton and Mondesi.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Not going to keep me from drafting them both every year

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Not going to keep me from drafting them both every year

Haha yup if they are available I take them.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Permission to drop Eduardo Rodriguez for Luzardo?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Kelenic!

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

He is hurt again.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1515034537029472260

After the injury he both looks completely fine and also extremely upset. Could see this being bad, or nothing

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I drafted a team the day before the season and for some reason it doesn't start until Monday, so guess who gets exactly zero stats from Byron Buxton before he got hurt :laffo:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I got to my AL only league draft like 3 minutes late and somehow it'd already drafted some idiot for me with the 9th pick. i got the commish to pause the draft and undo two picks so I could take Buxton :)

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Freddy Peralta :negative:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

feeling high on Roansy Contreras. check him out

Edit: aaand he’s DFA’d. He’ll start a few games down there and be back though, Pirates rotation is garbage. Time to put that NA slot to use

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 22, 2022

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fast Luck posted:

feeling high on Roansy Contreras. check him out

Edit: aaand he’s DFA’d. He’ll start a few games down there and be back though, Pirates rotation is garbage. Time to put that NA slot to use

Not DFA'd, just optioned. He'll be back, maybe in June-ish when the Super 2 deadline passes, when they'll probably call him up with Cruz.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Glad to see that Cole isn't broken

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
So it’s super early and all, but is anyone else slightly concerned about Bichette?

I haven’t seen anything about his slow start but that could be I’m just being impatient (yep) and there’s not anything really actionable to do anyway since you aren’t dropping or trading him

I would just like him to hit the baseball and stop striking out a lot

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

the_american_dream posted:

So it’s super early and all, but is anyone else slightly concerned about Bichette?

I haven’t seen anything about his slow start but that could be I’m just being impatient (yep) and there’s not anything really actionable to do anyway since you aren’t dropping or trading him

There are a lot of guys that look lost at the plate and I think it's because Spring Training was so short and the weather is pretty meh.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

the_american_dream posted:

I actually just traded him in a $20 league, someone out of the blue offered me Machado AND Trout for him. The trade just processed this morning.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Okay that person is silly.

The questions of "is xx toast" in April are fun but ultimately also silly. Give your players time. Cold starts are normal and it's a long season.

It's the opposite for dudes like Ian Happ or Steve Kwan who are doing totally unsustainable things.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Excuse me you don't say that about Mickey Mantle incarnate (Steve Kwan)

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Bichette hit the baseball hard yay

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

I actually just traded him in a $20 league, someone out of the blue offered me Machado AND Trout for him. The trade just processed this morning.

Haha holy poo poo you take that even getting Bichettes numbers from last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Dropped Gallo (avg/obp/slg league) for Ward, immediate vibe shift, feels good.

For personal reasons I'm hoping Gallo makes me regret it, but still.