Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Richard Hamming

midcentury US mathematician and programmer who contributed to the Manhattan Project, pioneered CS theory at Bell Labs, and was always in over his head

friend and coworker to Information Science founder Claud Shannon, who helped him understand that there's YOSPOS smart and then there is actual freak genius intelligence. from then on he called himself a janitor of science

"Hamming remained at Los Alamos until 1946, when he accepted a post at the Bell Telephone Laboratories (BTL). For the trip to New Jersey, he bought Klaus Fuchs's old car. When he later sold it just weeks before Fuchs was unmasked as a spy, the FBI regarded the timing as suspicious enough to interrogate Hamming.[2] Although Hamming described his role at Los Alamos as being that of a "computer janitor",[6] he saw computer simulations of experiments that would have been impossible to perform in a laboratory. "And when I had time to think about it," he later recalled, "I realized that it meant that science was going to be changed"

"Shortly before the first field test (you realize that no small scale experiment can be done—either you have a critical mass or you do not), a man asked me to check some arithmetic he had done, and I agreed, thinking to fob it off on some subordinate. When I asked what it was, he said, "It is the probability that the test bomb will ignite the whole atmosphere." I decided I would check it myself! The next day when he came for the answers I remarked to him, "The arithmetic was apparently correct but I do not know about the formulas for the capture cross sections for oxygen and nitrogen—after all, there could be no experiments at the needed energy levels." He replied, like a physicist talking to a mathematician, that he wanted me to check the arithmetic not the physics, and left. I said to myself, "What have you done, Hamming, you are involved in risking all of life that is known in the Universe, and you do not know much of an essential part?" I was pacing up and down the corridor when a friend asked me what was bothering me. I told him. His reply was, "Never mind, Hamming, no one will ever blame you.""

"Throughout his time at Bell Labs, Hamming avoided management responsibilities. He was promoted to management positions several times, but always managed to make these only temporary."

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

his final recorded lecture is one of the best perspectives ever on leaving a legacy with only one lifetime of work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1zDuOPkMSw

also: at 18:21 he describes his "keep your office door open" theory for getting to know other scientists

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 16, 2022

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:firstpost:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
the patron saint of YOSPOS is fat, smells bad, and loves to argue about computers

:rms2::rms2::rms2::rms2::rms2::rms2::rms2::rms2::rms2:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

the patron saint of YOSPOS is fat, smells bad, and loves to argue about computers

rms is a libertarian shithead

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

an entity can have multiple patron saints

one for being a pedantic argumentative nerd
one for being sorry they caused the greatest atrocities mankind has ever seen

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

but enough about my posts...............................

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

rms is a libertarian shithead

a true yospos mascot

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i remember a while back someone found some dude online who collected old supercomputers and had like several Crays and a few Thinking Machines and so forth and someone bought him an account and after a while jonny ended up asking how he took care of them (like they were mostly decorative, no one is gonna spin up an old Cray to Do Actual Work) and pretty soon they were like "yeah 409 really gets off that grimy dirt" and, well,

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

i remember a while back someone found some dude online who collected old supercomputers and had like several Crays and a few Thinking Machines and so forth and someone bought him an account and after a while jonny ended up asking how he took care of them (like they were mostly decorative, no one is gonna spin up an old Cray to Do Actual Work) and pretty soon they were like "yeah 409 really gets off that grimy dirt" and, well,

never meet your heroes.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQxKURvE9iI

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

2 outta 3 for me

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Poopernickel posted:

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

wrt itinerant academic autists, it's the virgin Stallman vs the chad Erdos

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

just posted in the HN thread:

thowaway673y 3 hours ago | parent | next [–]
RMS is no normal human, he can match with 5 or 6 100x programmers from symbolic company which they have admitted.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
https://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=5161

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

patron saint of lizards, not coders

common mistake of course

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
there's actually a patron saint of the internet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isidore_of_Seville#Legacy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

there's actually a patron saint of the internet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isidore_of_Seville#Legacy

quote:

(This honour is unofficial: the Holy See considered naming Isidore as patron saint of the Internet but has not done so.[28][29])

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
it kind of fits - the patron saint of the Internet should 100% have people arguing about canon

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

it kind of fits - the patron saint of the Internet 100% should have people arguing about canon

i mean i fail to see how there is any argument about this particular part of canon

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
would you say it's...non-canonical?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

would you say it's...non-canonical?

you're not arguing about this very well

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
*jeremy clarkson voice* Hamming!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

The Management posted:

*jeremy clarkson voice* Hamming!

he's not even a real hamster!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgABbHPdwH4

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rotor posted:

didn't we have someone years ago who got some old mainframe equipment, wanted to fire it up, but was having trouble finding an electrician who'd be willing to run the electrical wiring it'd need?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

didn't we have someone years ago who got some old mainframe equipment, wanted to fire it up, but was having trouble finding an electrician who'd be willing to run the electrical wiring it'd need?

might have been the same guy

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Stewart Lee. comedy gold.

did a gig in his underwear.

comedy gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Poopernickel posted: