Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Big game queue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

TammyHEH posted:

Dumb bad game 4 losers who stink

Ah, that’s why you changed careers

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Let’s send Jennifer Lawrence again

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

girl dick energy posted:

I'll never totally get over my fake claim in Zodiac Mafia being so convincing and feeding into the setup speculation (that we deliberately encouraged) so well that the actual town counterclaim was universally disbelieved and we won because of it.

Edit: For the record, this was so long ago that I still thought I was a guy.

It’s an excellent teaching game

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

We’re incredibly old

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

death cob for cutie posted:

to celebrate a new thread, post your favorite mafia thing that you or someone else did

Ecco and Ernie’s really weird setups

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Jen X posted:

A combo of things, I think.

Everyone being home all the time isn't a thing anymore after pandemic restrictions got lifted, people burned out, people found other cooperative ways to use their time with fewer arguments, the site itself isn't growing so there's limited new blood, some people are getting older and using their free time on their kids, and so on and so forth.

I think this is true, but also that play by post isn't really the move for most people now given available alternatives (to say nothing of off-forums communication seemingly having a greater chilling effect now than in the mafia irc days).

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Toalpaz posted:

There are two games ongoing but depending on how it goes I may start recruiting for a toaly mafia like experience.

👀

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

There’s a lot that I think I could fairly say about all this, and believe me, I’ve thought about doing so, but it probably doesn’t help anything. However, let’s acknowledge what happened to this community: it started getting choked to death by a sex pest’s expanding cult. People got hurt in ways I wasn’t even aware of. Is mafia dead? I don’t know, but it died for me a while ago. I’d like to see if we could possibly bring it back to life.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I don’t intend to denigrate newer players and mods. It’s simply different in terms of active membership and game frequency than the period I’m referencing, which I think anyone who played, say, ten years ago would recognize.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Lol bnr

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

wins32767 posted:

Taste asked me to run another NYC game. How much interest would there be in a CYOR with possible post restrictions?

Pre-sign of course

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Jump King posted:

I think the only solution is to formally make Ecco the leader

The Big Game Queueen

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Lol https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3146744

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Anyway haven’t read the last few pages but planning on launching [b] race war mafia[\b] any day nkw

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I have suggested sandwolf as the IK for mafia threads/games here would there be any issue with that?

What’s the batting average so far grody

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

Someone upthread made the point that it's probably better to not have one person be "in charge" of both mafia on the forums and of the Discord.

Yeah that’s why I told Jeffrey it should be REDACTED

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

To quote someone i know, i think that's fair

Lol

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I think our need for one would just be from a utilitarian standpoint for now, just opening/closing threads when the OP isn't present and just acting as kind of a mafia Referee

What’s Referee got to do with this

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Extra 0 on that link

For new page:

CCKeane posted:

I think it's good that a lot of people are volunteering to be resources, does anybody have any ideas for establishing duties or responsibilities if somebody says something? I think that could be helpful to give some direction on escalation, etc.

But, also, honestly, the more I think about it I kind of feel like "Going to a moderator/admin outside of the mafia community" is where I keep coming back to as a good policy? I think that inherently prevents cliques/insular behaviors that could result in a variety of anti social outcomes.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

it's always been insane to do that as an in-the-moment thing but if you're heavy lurking the light of justice is real

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

i'm going to say the l word

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

this is now the mafia thread i remember

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

my second reeeee-reg

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

a dedicated mafia ik is obviously unecessary though the game room could probably benefit from a general one

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

“It’s not cool for someone to feel uncomfortable here”

“Hey this guy said something an old group of players dislikes, get him!!”

I never said either of those things

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

there's no real reason to have intergenerational beef anyway, this is a public forum not a social club and neither lapsed veterans nor current players are any better because of their status

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

putting my money on grandicap

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

with my six games played in the past year i am entitled to 36 characters of suggestions:

it would be great if, in the future, we could

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

My Second Re-Reg posted:

I am well noted for being a loudly opinionated cockbite, so for what it's worth I agree with this and mean zero ill posting will toward anybody.

hell yeah :cheersdoge:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

You have a legitimate point and you maybe broached it a little aggressively but it is not valid to loving take turns making GBS threads on you because they disagree with you. I can’t believe I have to say this right now.

you don't have to say it because it isn't on point. relax.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

Here’s something on point: more than one member of the current-mafia playing community has reached out to me to complain about what y’all just did.

Now what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_rWobeH7t0

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

krell's non-mafia creative work was very interesting, and i think he should be interpreted as a performance artist

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

CapitalistPig posted:

It just didn't look like it was about not recognizing them and felt a lot more like an attempt to make their opinions irrelevant and invalidate them. But re reg has since said that it wasn't intended as an attack so. "shrug" I guess we're done.

another game room ik success story

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

CCKeane posted:

A major item here, and an important one, is that very often people don't think they're in the wrong or making somebody uncomfortable, or that they'll think that they're in the right and defending their standing or some other concept - but it doesn't matter if you don't think you're in the wrong, if somebody's uncomfortable and doesn't feel welcome, they don't feel comfortable and welcome.

I'm really disappointed that we can't discuss this.

i was at first annoyed and made uncomfortable by what I percieved as a poster saying my opinion and presence didn't matter, but then I thought about it and realized that it wasn't that big a deal what that person meant, if indeed they really meant it, and that I should get out of my own head about it. this is a wonderful cure for so many minor disagreements in life

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Jump King posted:

The problem we have right now is that we need some mafia games to open up so this energy can go into the games instead

it would be nice to fill this game

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027694

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I have a mid-to-large game set to post when mistborn is filled but i don't want to be gauche

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Jump King posted:

I will run a game in this thread right now if I can get 7 people to sign up.

C9.

9 players
2 scum
0-1 doctor
0-1 cop

signups:

dark baby 2

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Voodoofly posted:

Look can we move a random game out of here and also stop with shitposting for at least a little while to try and actually get some consensus on how to make our community better.

This entire discussion is related to people feeling uncomfortable and not feeling comfortable about speaking up. I've had multiple conversations today with people who have said they feel uncomfortable with some of the recent discussions, specifically ignoring people's views, or telling them to gently caress off. It isn't helping. It doesn't matter who you are, how many or few games you have played, whatever. Everyone's voice should be heard and considered.

I don't care to compare minor routine flames to long-term harrassment and abuse. If this community doesn't want the spicy give-and-take that it used to have, that's totally fine, but the equivocation is inappropriate to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

Can you earnestly tell me what I am supposed to do when people from this community come to tell me they are uncomfortable by something occurring here? Like I was just suggested as a point of contact for that, I came here publicly to talk about it, and it’s met with you folks hitting out at me for doing so.

Address it without trying to link it to a gotcha, ideally.