Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

mega dy posted:

I live in a superposition of retirement and unretirement whose waveform only collapses if there is a game that I kinda want to play in.

oh nice, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

tpink posted:

Is it really that low? That’s a bummer. Is it just part of forums being less active now than they used to be (though other sub-forums still seem to be cranking along just fine), or something more specific to SA mafia?

A combo of things, I think.

Everyone being home all the time isn't a thing anymore after pandemic restrictions got lifted, people burned out, people found other cooperative ways to use their time with fewer arguments, the site itself isn't growing so there's limited new blood, some people are getting older and using their free time on their kids, and so on and so forth.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I believe in twoalpaz, this is a good decision

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Mafia will never die, somehow

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Monathin posted:

The extraordinarily tl;dr version is there was a lot of problems with the Riven game, which longtime SA Mafia user Peramene hosted, which only recently came to light for a number of people. Pera has since been permabanned from the site, as a result of the various problems that came to light that were considered unacceptable at the time, and are certainly unacceptable now.

I can't necessarily speak for everyone who was hurt, nor am I going to, but people within the community have done the legwork to make sure these claims are very much legitimate. A lot of people are going back through a lot of this and reckoning with the consequences of giving Pera so much room to work with, even when, by all rights, they shouldn't have.

If people who were closer to the events want to actually dredge up their thoughts, that's up to their own comfort.

Lots of stuff happened, a significant number of SA mafia players stopped playing mafia as they found the online LARP-like games peramene and others were running (beginning with a series of games based on the Myst series, but expanding from there into a lot of other scenarios and games) to be more of what they wanted, and then a game happened that exposed a lot of issues with the structures and norms of these online LARP games and the practices involved in running them.

There were a lot of crossed boundaries and I can't say how much was deliberate or inadvertent (I lean towards the latter, but I am personally biased for various reasons, which is a disclaimer I feel needs to be made.) As someone who was there up until this particularly rough game happened and had a contentious and, eventually, destructive relationship with a lot of the key figures of this whole situation, I think the easiest way to learn more — outside of asking people to elaborate on difficult subjects or speaking to all involved to get their particular perspective of events — is to look at the SAD thread made on the subject that, alongside discussion of podima's incipient admin-hood, included peramene's permabanning.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Somberbrero posted:

If Mr. Steak had just set Sex Camp in Tomahna from Myst IV he would have been fine.

I think the “adventures of jemery” RPG would have probably ended with fewer people upset (but many more people confused)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Part of what makes Mafia a lot more inured to this stuff is that it's a social deduction game traitor game like Secret Hitler or Betrayal or, yes, Among Us, not a roleplaying game like Call of Cthulhu or D&D.

Obviously there's crossover that exists somewhere out there, but mafia is basically the traitor game. Role flavor will almost always be similar to what you get in Secret Hitler or Among Us, with bespoke names and some fun flavor text, rather than, say, a PbtA game playbook, and gameplay is essentially just the same way you'd play Secret Hitler (trying to figure out who's lying, discussing connections, laughing at people) but expanded to a forum play-by-post structure. Discord is used because it's easier than giving everyone bespoke google sheets, mostly.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Kashuno posted:

get Leperflesh to play a mafia game then report all their posts imo (this is a joke)

done.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah this is about having tools that you don't anticipate ever needing but reasonable people aren't really gonna object to, it doesn't have to be made a huge deal of but maybe like one sentence in the OP right after you say "keep secret stuff secret no cheating no out of game talking about the game" you could also say "unless someone is being gross or abusive in which case of course tell on them immediately, tell the organizer or a mod or someone" and that'd be that?

I like this idea and think it's worth including explicitly.

It's easy for there to be confusion on what's okay to talk about (venting to an uninvolved person who will not share what you say to them, serious breaches of conduct/someone being loving gross) and what isn't (public discussion of the game, especially with other players, mechanical role specifics, pretty much whatever you think would ruin a traitor game), and I'd rather never need this but have it than need it and have someone get hurt but feel unable to say anything about it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I think the big thing that happens somewhat regularly (or did when I was regularly playing here, mostly 2-5 years back) is that people will press others too hard and it will prompt an emotional rejoinder, especially when the person pressing is doing so in a way that seems unfair or rude

this is usually sorted out by someone leaving the game or conversation cooling off and people taking a break, which is an explicit option under every ruleset and never needs to be justified, but sometimes the person pressing the other is the one being a dick (rather than he person attacked needing to opt out of an emotionally affecting situation) and things can get tricky

this is a tone issue for the most part and I like to think people being warned for being too rude is a thing that happens, but it's worth mentioning because many game runners may be hesitant to interject when things are borderline

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pmom's right about the whole "don't have the discord leadership be the same as the forums leadership" thing but IKs are IKs so it's probably completely fine

Plus Sandwolf seems like a good dude

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

gulagdolls is the funniest person to ever live

its true

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Deadbeat Dad posted:

drat, I missed a lot

your real prize for winning survivor

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

i know that is a joke but i would prefer to avoid cutesy hehe we are not saying lynch stuff in all forms, yes

Grandicap posted:

I use execute.

CCKeane posted:

I agree with Snooze and this is why I, like Grandicap, use execute.

I agree with Keane and Snooze, and this is why I, like Grandicap and Keane, use execute.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

wologar posted:

Ecco may or may not be the best person for the job. I don't know her directly, so I can't be sure either way.

However, it weirds me out that she has been so adamant on getting it.

super scummy of her, I agree

##vote ecco

I'm even using votefinder code to really rub it in

anyway I think ecco's great and sufficiently distant from the games as well as kind enough as a person to serve as a minor authority to talk to, assuming the possibility of further interpersonal trouble that needs to be reported but not made public yet (and also to do like 2-3 mechanical things a year or whatever)

but if she's not to someone's choice it might be nice to have literally any other suggestions with reasoning for them instead of a whole thing about how she doesn't represent the REAL community

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

in all seriousness I think it's a valuable point that the best appointee would be someone who's reasonably active at present and recognizable to people new and old (within reasonable limits)

I'd nominate bif as an extremely good person who's been playing for a while (if not since, like, prehistory) but I think he'd reject it out of hand

and there's merit to the idea of a hypothetical authority being someone not as involved in playing

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Mr. F! posted:

It is though. This is a very small thing. The IK will literally never do anything. It won’t affect ongoing games at all.

an IK would presumably be someone trusted by the community to handle interpersonal flareups without undue bias or callousness, as well as someone willing to poke people who are being awful or obnoxious but not in an against-the-rules way

I think it's true that the community mostly self-polices, but I know when I was running games I always felt really bad when people were getting super heated and had a lot of trouble getting myself to chime in for fear of biasing the game or overstepping, which would hopefully be a good space for an IK to act

or maybe that'd be too much too, idk

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

Of course I would, Jen you were IN the soldiers game what the absolute gently caress lmao

you're recognizable to most players (I think) and nice enough that people wouldn't be scared of talking to you unless you wanted them to be

I might be biased by familiarity though because old mafia bifauxnen was terrifying

in my mind IKs wouldn't be relied on to solve big issues, just, like, act as someone to say something to who could then transmit it to the mods, but the fact that no one seems sure of what an IK would actually do is somewhat damning in and of itself

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

Ok the idea here is to get ideas and have a chat as a community, we don't need to have a referendum on whether or not Ecco is cool/good/etc. which seems a bit of a harsh thing to subject them to.

It sounds like generally folks feel an IK for all of TGR is a good idea and that restores the status quo we had for a couple of years; it sounds like the having buttons and ability to open/close threads aspects of a Mafia IK aren't needed, and if the community needs leaders who can suggest nicely to someone to slow their roll a bit from time to time, those people don't necessarily need to be officially sanctioned by SA mod team IKs.

this seems about right

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I move to immediately nominate harold krell for chair of the inaugural mafia player's council

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Hal Insandenza posted:

I wish I could read all these exciting new posts but I’m about to get on a plane

I move to nominate Hal immediately after my Krell nomination is roundly rejected

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

In all seriousness, if there is anything actually useful that could be done in the role of IK, there's a decent chance I might be too busy with kid or work or whatever at the rare time it needs doing, and it would just put more stress in my life to feel bad about failing at such a low-workload job.

we need to resurrect mr steak and have him do it as he's young enough to not have any responsibilities that might interfere with important IK duties

given the tension in the thread right now I should note that this is a joke about mr steak and not a dig at your extremely reasonable hesitance to take on a role that might have time demands you'd have trouble meeting without sacrificing other important parts of your life

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Kashuno posted:

400 posts????

401 now

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Hi, I'm Jen X, feel free to call me Jen or JX or Jen X or something else, I won't be mad regardless. I went by Gene X for a while then changed my name in part because people thinking my name was Eugene was very weird. I'm a girl, so she/her, but I don't overly care if you use other pronouns instead.

My first game was on skype with friends back in 2010, and on forums it was some newbie mafia in 2011 on the MSPA (read: Homestuck) forums that I ended up winning flawlessly for scum, apparently by being intelligent sounding. On SA it was birdstrike's Mafia Gear Solid back in late 2017, and I frankly don't remember how it went.

My favorite mafia memory is the time back in 2012 where I quoted every single post in the game up to that point and responded to every single one, then it didn't matter because even though I figured things out at the end, the mod had apparently decided it would be funny if the game kept going despite scum having parity with the vote. On SA, it's probably the time Nat 20 and I tried to deathbus one another with competing flavor in cpig's FFVII mafia, as the only 2 on our team after DB died D1, and we somehow both survived (and then lost afterwards anyways.)

I like mafia because I like acting, I like joking around, and I like trying to solve logic puzzles. I like running games because I can do wild things with the setup and get real time testing of my ideas before everyone yells at me later.

Something fun about me is that I did plant genetics research in high school with university backing, then did entirely unrelated research in college, and do again unrelated research now. Something actually fun about me is that there are multiple discord servers where "Jen is typing..." is, I'm told, the scariest thing around. Something less stupid but still fun is that I'm a huge fan of older sci-fi.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 24, 2023

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

I think something fun about me is that I also maintain a massive series of let's plays with my best friend in the LP forum and you should definitely check them out. I think this Hollow Knight one is the best we ever did! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avd2zWZ8SYU

I agree with this by the way, Nat's LPs are fantastic

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Meanwhile I remember the time I, as a VT, accidentally slept through my own execution after lurking early on

And felt so bad about my own lackluster performance that I don’t think I’ve joined an eccogame since out of guilt (and also not playing mafia much for a few years, lmao)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Lampsacus posted:

Dead players have an optional final vote to use once after death.
Dead players can still post.
Flips are hidden.
Everyone always has a power, however bit part.

It would be interesting to have a 'blood on the Clocktower' style forum mafia game by having those variant rules hmmmm

I have run a game which let a dead player vote, hid all flips besides names and alignment, was role madness, and included resurrection mechanics

it went uh,

Jen X posted:

Votecount for Day 2

Tobbs Gnawed (4.5): Tobbs Gnawed, A Sometimes Food, 28766f69642a2930, Chic Trombone, 28766f69642a2930, 28766f69642a2930, Mr. Humalong Podima Podima Podima Podima Podima Podima
Chic Trombone (2.5): peramene, OMGVBFLOL Podima Podima Podima Podima Podima Podima Podima Podima Podima Podima Podima Podima Podima Podima Podima Podima Podima
OMGVBFLOL (1): Epsilon Plus
Mr. Humalong (1): Nep-Nep
Kashuno (0): 28766f69642a2930, 28766f69642a2930

Not Voting (4): chaoslord, Kashuno, Rhjamiz, Snooze Cruise

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is February 09th, 2019 at 10 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 hour, 20 minutes.
I manually entered every one of Podima's votes and unvotes and loathed myself by the end of it

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Jump King posted:

If you’re not moderating for yourself what are you doing?

I got yelled at for the games where I did that

admittedly one had a marginal mod error that people took way harder than they should've and the other was insane

but still!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Somberbrero posted:

I'm getting married today! Savahontas and I first met in VOTE1's Slenderman mini-Mafia in 2009. I wanted to honor that part of our relationship with a gift I received many moons ago from Little Mac. I feel in some ways indebted to the community for my present happiness, she doesn't play anymore but it is fun to read back through our cringey private messages here. Thank you, Mafia community.

Congratulations!