Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

tazjin posted:

they have like a thousand engineers now, what the hell is everyone doing?

increasing the valuation of the company, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i work at a dealio where we write oss software 90% of the time and put closed source stuff in a special folder so we can charge for it 10% of the time, and then we take our paychecks from some vc but mostly charging for it nowadays, whats that make the software, op

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ableton live is pretty good

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sapozhnik posted:

i don't like having ads in my software op

imagine sitting down in front of the machine that you use for a large fraction of your day and the chief marketing officer of the company that produces the software you use unzips and takes a long smelly piss on your face.

and there's people saying things like "oh it's just a little piss gosh must you be so melodramatic" or "well you can ask him very nicely please sir i would like it if you do not piss on my face for the next hour sir please and thank you" and "they make little piss cups now with drainage tubes that you can attach to your forehead to collect the piss and route it elsewhere so that none of it gets onto your face"

if i had to live in a world like that i'd think i was living in crazy world. but i don't because i use a linux based desktop operating system

no, instead the piss is coming from some smug dipshit saying "works on my machine" over and over

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

tazjin posted:

meanwhile in the free software world - everything kind of works, ish. yes, i have to restart pipewire 3 trillion times before every time i want to use audio. yes, emacs hangs if some json file contains too many {{{{. yes, nobody understands any loving placement of ui elements and the like in open-source programs.

just quoting this again because the amount of cognitive distortion it takes to deal with all of this and then turn around and say that the software works as it is literally failing to do the thing it was designed to do is lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sure, sure, but the way it fails is familiar and anticipated. not like that other software that fails in unprdictable ways that require troubleshooting to resolve

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

carry on then posted:

no, instead the piss is coming from some smug dipshit saying "works on my machine" over and over

sure, if you want to live in that strawman reality. "can you give me something to go on so that i can reproduce the issue" is not "worksforme wontfix", the latter attitude doesn't meaningfully exist in reality

bug reports might go unanswered but that's not the same thing (lol at expecting anything in a proprietary application issue tracker to go answered ever unless the company is getting hammered on twitter for it)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tbh, what i want out of software is basically the windows 2000 experience. you set it up trivially and then you go and you configure the things you need configured and you don't spend the first 20 minutes fighting endless unskippable handholding and wizards and guides and prompts and toasts and notifications. at no point is the operating system pestering me to do anything.

some linux is like that, but unfortunately at the end of the day you're using linux

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

ableton live is pretty good

would be cool if they could make it work on linux as well but steinberg being the only one making vst was a mistake

they should’ve involved digidesign and emagic from the start as to not end up with 4 different closed formats

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sapozhnik posted:

sure, if you want to live in that strawman reality. "can you give me something to go on so that i can reproduce the issue" is not "worksforme wontfix", the latter attitude doesn't meaningfully exist in reality

bug reports might go unanswered but that's not the same thing (lol at expecting anything in a proprietary application issue tracker to go answered ever unless the company is getting hammered on twitter for it)

you're the one who keeps bringing up this strawman reality where all proprietary software is literally unusable. and i'm not wasting my loving time filling out endless github issues for literally everything that goes wrong on my system. i'm switching to software that loving works, and i'm tired of people like you telling me that my own eyes are lying and that actually everything i prefer is broken and wrong.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

i don't like having ads in my software op

imagine sitting down in front of the machine that you use for a large fraction of your day and the chief marketing officer of the company that produces the software you use unzips and takes a long smelly piss on your face.

and there's people saying things like "oh it's just a little piss gosh must you be so melodramatic" or "well you can ask him very nicely please sir i would like it if you do not piss on my face for the next hour sir please and thank you" and "they make little piss cups now with drainage tubes that you can attach to your forehead to collect the piss and route it elsewhere so that none of it gets onto your face"

if i had to live in a world like that i'd think i was living in crazy world. but i don't because i use a linux based desktop operating system

You're drinking the piss instead

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

me: *boots into windows because linux has decided my monitors can only do 30hz and i need to get some poo poo done today instead of try every possible troubleshooting task up to a full reinstall of the operating system while gathering debug trace and filling out issues*

you: how loving dare you

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ok

dunno why you're so focused on defending the honor of not-linux. just saying, there's a better world out there. not perfect by any means but, perhaps better.

i don't do any sort of multimedia creation though so maybe that's why things more or less work for me. i would never suggest anybody inflict garbage like gimp or krita or whatever upon themselves. people in that line of work would surely be better served by a mac or ipad pro or w/e.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Linux is great, FOSS is great

the only thing is that GPLv3 is pissing on GNU's face every drat day and marching them to irrelevance

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
idk about music making stuff but I found audacity extremely needs-suiting for hobby podcast production

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Didn't read, but $52.99 a month (less if you're a student) and you can subscribe to the Adobe Creative Cloud program and use industry-leading, polished software like Photoshop™ and After Effects™ like I do. Stop being a cheap piece of poo poo.

lol if you use adobe poo poo for work and have to pay for it yourself

also lol after effects. get a real node based compositor n00b

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

your software is a piece of poo poo

animist
Aug 28, 2018
linux people fail to comprehend their own level of computer brain. they don't understand what it's like to not know what a file descriptor is. this is why their advice is terrible and their perceptions of ui are confused

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is true

and why you need normies in your org but lol at that happening

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
idk the gnome people try to cater to normies and then a bunch of beard-and-suspender-lords get upset

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i don't really recommend linux to anybody but i was doing some troubleshooting on one of my pcs recently and booted onto a live usb

i was frankly shocked at how good it was

like. sound? wifi? working? what.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
btw dan luu posted recently about saas garbage that doesn't work: https://danluu.com/nothing-works/

he's not been super interesting lately but this one is p good because it's got some good war stories in it. it also confirms my preconcieved notions so that definitely means it's good.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

TheFluff posted:

btw dan luu posted recently about saas garbage that doesn't work: https://danluu.com/nothing-works/

he's not been super interesting lately but this one is p good because it's got some good war stories in it. it also confirms my preconcieved notions so that definitely means it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qu46svpJ5g

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i pay a subscription for a grocery list app because it works really well and makes my life easier

it's like $2/mo or something but extremely worth it to me

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Cold on a Cob posted:

i pay a subscription for a grocery list app because it works really well and makes my life easier

:stare:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

TheFluff posted:

man this article is depressing. man. i'm gonna have a drink

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
it was recommended by a yosposter it’s called anylist it’s real good

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

anylist owns

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

is it like a shared list so that you dont gotta text your partner/roommates/family or whatever

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah. it also does recipe imports and stuff like that. i think the general "shared lists" from ios is free, and then if you pay for it you get a webapp, recipe import, and some other stuff that doesnt matter for me

i think i bought a year of it after using it for several years basically just to throw some money their way bc the app is great. probably won't subscribe again whenever the period runs out (maybe it already has, idk)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

TheFluff posted:

this website is what browsers' reader mode was made for

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had to crank zoom up to read it and felt like an old
person :cry:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i use notes.app for my grocery list needs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i just make a trip twice per day

saves on making lists

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

we are using some Paid Software at work and it was nice to be able to say 'hey can u implement this feature' and they said 'sure ok it'll be in the next release'

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
same except the pharmacy software use at work except I said can I get a job and they told me to gently caress off

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i use notes.app for my grocery list needs

how much does that cost every month though?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

carry on then posted:

me: *boots into windows because linux has decided my monitors can only do 30hz and i need to get some poo poo done today instead of try every possible troubleshooting task up to a full reinstall of the operating system while gathering debug trace and filling out issues*

you: how loving dare you

works. on. my. linux. computer. op. :cawg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

inkscape is moderately neat but photoshop is still a ferrari to inkscape's v6 honda accord.

inkscape is an illustrator knockoff bro