Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

So, the astrography of the Pruitt Systems. We can see from our report on them they have three colonies, of which we know the locations of two. We see there's a connection headed down from Aludra in the Garrett Confederation (and Aludra used to be part of the Pruitt Systems) towards the star that's obviously missing on our charts. What this tells us is that the Pruitt Systems used to be basically a T-shaped arrangement of four colonies, but lost the colony on its border with the Garrett Confederation. The route from Zeta Ophiuchi that bypasses Hyadum into the Lamb Clan makes no difference under current conditions, but in the hypothetical where the Pruitt Systems controlled Hyadum, it would provide an awkward means to bypass Hyadum from the Lamb Clan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
So, what does the list of twenty-five dudes who are attracted to Jane look like? Anyone interesting besides Romeo and Patton? Anyone we can exploit in the near future?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

EclecticTastes posted:

So, what does the list of twenty-five dudes who are attracted to Jane look like? Anyone interesting besides Romeo and Patton? Anyone we can exploit in the near future?

All three non-related males in House Weiss. Duke Yardley Patton. King Lowell Lamb. Governor-General Gaultier White. Lady Belicia Fardell's husband. Lady Belicia Fardell's brother. Lady Belicia Fardell's daughter's husband. Belicia Fardell's son who married into House Noble. (What, is almost every relative of Mariko's in love with Mariko's wife?) The rulers of the colonies at Hyadum, Canopus, Kajam, Kapteyn's Star, Ksora, and Miaplacidus (yes, that last is the brother who just disinherited Oriole). Master Sasha Beck, son of Baron Angelo Beck, ruler of Kajam (yes, both father and son). Sir Virgil Noble. The heir to the throne of Delta Pavonis. Admiral Seth Patton, Duke Yardley Patton's nephew. Colonial Director Devon Kelley's husband, and her head of Diplomacy, and her brother who isn't Romeo but is her heir. And the completely random head of Security for House Eaton, now rulers of Haldus since we installed the House there. And the husband to the heir of the throne of Kastra. I suppose the most useful bit there is that three of the four faction heads under us being in love with Jane probably greatly reduces the risk of rebellion.

Of course, the only one of all these twenty-six Jane is actually aware has eyes for her is her wife. She'd probably get the creeps if she realised how many men were in love with her.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Romeo, money printer posted:

[Late 2512]
This has been a hell of a couple of years. My dear son Allen is really really sick. Jane assigned Ilario to watch over him, I'll owe him big when my son is healthy again.

[Late 2513]
Allen is well again! Joyous day! I'll have to get him and his future wife something really nice! I've heard he's been quite rude to his Aunt Oriole about his security training, wanting to do diplomacy instead. I say let the boy do it full time, but Jane compromised, so he's learning both.

I have a daughter now! She's so sweet and beautiful! I wanted to name her Alice but Prudy insisted and I am smart enough not to argue with my wife, sister of one of the most powerful rulers right now.

[Early 2514]
Mother died. gently caress.

Prudy is now sick, hopefully it's not anything from that ship they discovered, I already lost my mother. I do care about her, maybe not as much as I should and it is hard when I am not there. I am worried about her. She is good with the technology though and Ilario is around if she gets really bad

Speaking of Ilario, he's gotten married to Rebecca, second in line. I got them a nice gift for Ilario helping my boy.

Romeo, pleased with himself posted:

Four children! good, good, good. I will never rule but if I and my children have lots of children, they'll squeeze out the others and someone with my awesome mustache genes will rule!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lady Jaybird fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 7, 2022

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Also did Romeo and Prudence take a honor hit for the fourth child? I'm curious why Prudence's honor is -8.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

dervinosdoom posted:

Also did Romeo and Prudence take a honor hit for the fourth child? I'm curious why Prudence's honor is -8.

It's 'personal', not 'honor' that's at -8 for Prudence. 'Recently cheerful +9', 'Is Dull -14', 'Is Reserved -7', 'House Diplomacy Efforts +4'. She's not done anything to get honor hits. Basically she's not very likeable to most people because she's a tedious introvert. Also worth noting you already have a daughter named Devon, who just hit age 6 and is ready to get a guardian. Thomas and Jane are currently free to take a ward, but we could possibly shift Emily from Harold and have Harold take Devon as a ward. Thoughts there?

E: As far as guardians currently go, Prudence is acting as guardian for Malachi, Oriole for Allen, Mariko for Alice, and Harold for Emily.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 7, 2022

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Being a boring nerd runs in the family, and yet there's all those people who have a thing for Jane. I guess power really is an aphrodisiac.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

nweismuller posted:

It's 'personal', not 'honor' that's at -8 for Prudence. 'Recently cheerful +9', 'Is Dull -14', 'Is Reserved -7', 'House Diplomacy Efforts +4'. She's not done anything to get honor hits. Basically she's not very likeable to most people because she's a tedious introvert. Also worth noting you already have a daughter named Devon, who just hit age 6 and is ready to get a guardian. Thomas and Jane are currently free to take a ward, but we could possibly shift Emily from Harold and have Harold take Devon as a ward. Thoughts there?

E: As far as guardians currently go, Prudence is acting as guardian for Malachi, Oriole for Allen, Mariko for Alice, and Harold for Emily.

I got confused, I though for some reason Devon was retconned. It was Alice, retconned to Allen!

I am having a day, man.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

MechaCrash posted:

Being a boring nerd runs in the family, and yet there's all those people who have a thing for Jane. I guess power really is an aphrodisiac.

Well, there are a few things that make Jane's reputation higher than Prudence's.

1) As the ruler, the effect of House Diplomacy skill on her reputation is increased (and further increased for her direct vassals).
2) She actually has any personal Diplomacy skill at all, which adds a bit to her reputation.
3) Having Honorable and Intelligent makes her total personality only add up to -7 rather than -21.
4) As a ruler who's been expanding the realm, throwing feasts, et cetera she's gotten a lot of chances to get Respect increases to her reputation.

Respect increases and the increased effect of House Diplomacy skill do pretty much amount to 'power being attractive', mind...

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Social Classes of the Colonies

The colonies have, since the Collapse, slowly developed a social system with a number of distinct social classes. Much like technology, much has been lost in social and economic terms, but enough sophistication yet remains to maintain the relics of technology that yet survive. At the head of this social system stand the nobility, both ruling Houses of colonies and minor Houses beneath a colony's ruling House. Those leaders who could muster the armed force to control their own portion of a colony during the Collapse eventually became the wellspring of the modern Houses. The immediate chaos of the Collapse, of necessity, made their founders warlords, although warlords drawn from varied backgrounds- politicians, enforcers, soldiers, criminals, and corporate officers. The power these warlords seized soon enough became hereditary, and their position legitimised by traditions of noble privilege. The ease of projecting power within a single colony compared to the difficulty of projecting power beyond a colony provided an intense pressure for each colony to develop a single ruling House, while minor Houses draw a relatively modest income from control of some relatively compact array of farms, mines, or workshops. The noble class is not quite a closed class- talented and loyal members of the officer class are occasionally adopted into a House in recognition of their abilities, with both Noelle Garcia and Bella Garcia being examples of this phenomenon. Those nobles who do not rule their House are expected to serve at the pleasure of their House head in leadership positions over and above what the officer class is trusted with.

The officer class is generally considered the next-highest social rank in colonial society, a group of families in service to a given ruling or minor House who take on positions of skill and responsibility within the various departments whereby a House executes their will- foremen, engineers, and clerks in Administration, pilots and crews of military vessels and peacekeeper officers in Military, courtiers and staff in Diplomacy, agents, guards, investigators, and analysts in Security, and scientists, technicians, and medics in Technology. Adult members of the officer class are pledged in service to their House by oaths not lightly broken, but it is not unknown for younger members of the officer class yet to assume a position to seek fortune in service to a different House, and young members of the officer class have reasonable freedom to seek a position in service suited to their temperament- the children of a fleet officer may well take positions as scientists or foremen as their aptitudes and interests incline. The officer class, like other members of the freeman classes that deal directly with the nobility, receive payment in real viridium money, portable between colonies and between Houses. House chaplains are generally drawn from the officer class, devoting their service to their House by prayer and study of the will of God.

Other freemen include skilled artisans- vintners, synthmeat growers, tailors to the nobility, jewelers, electronics craftsfolk, and so forth- and the class of independent traders whose civilian shipping ensures the flow of resources and people beyond what is carried by high-priority diplomatic shuttles, military flights, and special House shipments. Trade between colonies has been fitful, and trade between realms not bound in the same league or realm is irregular in the extreme, but in many cases parts, medical equipment, or luxuries not available by domestic production at a colony can be acquired no other way than through a trader's hold. Attitudes about independent traders vary amongst the nobility- some Houses mistrust them as rogues with few strong ties to a House and uncomfortably outside the normal social structure (while still taking advantage of their wares as they must), while others tend to view them as a vital lifeline for the colonies. House Weiss, traditionally, has been a relatively friendly House to independent traders, even while still a minor House simply bartering the produce of the workshops and mines at Vega they then controlled.

Beneath these freemen there stands the serf class. In most cases modern serfdom is not simple slavery- another lesson from the Dark Ages, that outright enslavement of the commons frequently led to disaster- but the options and conditions of serfs are nonetheless sharply limited. The right to be born is a privilege which indebts a serf to the House they serve, to be repaid in taking service in hydroponic farms, mines, assembly lines, spaceport cargo hauling, service as one of the rank and file of the peacekeepers, and so forth. For this labor serfs are paid in House scrip, paper money with no independent value in viridium. House scrip is accepted at full value in redeeming rations, water, cloth, rent, heat, and so forth from the issuing House, but is generally only accepted at a steep discount by outlets controlled by other Houses within the same colony and is entirely worthless beyond the colony it was issued from. House scrip is also used in petty barters amongst the serfs themselves- ramshackle taverns and petty artisans crafting simple goods, serfs themselves with side jobs, will generally do business in House scrip. A serf may redeem their debt and be emancipated at a rate set by the House they serve, and a few will buy out their debts and join a trader's crew or serve an apprenticeship to a skilled artisan. A few even are drawn into the officer class, particularly as new installations require a larger pool of skilled labor. Conditions for serfs vary widely between colonies- colonies with solid and productive economies, just rulers, and skilled Administration departments may have serfs who work hard, but will have a diet with reasonable variation, relatively well-maintained quarters, enough clothing, and some period of rest which they may fill with whatever amusements and diversions they have access to. Colonies with brittle economies, cruel masters, and inept Administration can have conditions for the serfs that are a nightmarish montage of backbreaking labor, mounting debts, slow starvation, and inhuman deprivation. Variation between Houses at a single colony can exist, but even minor Houses with cruel masters are limited by the tone set by the local ruling House and local conditions- the limited mobility of the serfs still cannot prevent escapes to another House, and the right and duty of the colonial ruler to protect the population under their care allows them legal options should a minor House be significantly more abusive than their own. Even in colonies with particularly grim conditions, peacekeeper serfs tend to be relatively well-treated, a measure to ensure the armed troops that maintain order are themselves loyal.

Conditions for the serfs at Vega have notably improved over the past fourteen years, both because Director-General Jane Weiss is a significantly less cruel and more just ruler than was King Emmanuel Goodman, and because the continued repairs of installations and the efforts of Administration have increased overall productivity and allowed for some alleviation of overcrowding. Even with these improvements, the gulf between the life lived by the serfs and the life lived by the nobility is vast.

Below even the serfs are convicts and outcasts- some colonies maintain convict ships where condemned men may be forgotten under conditions of unimaginable misery, only to be drawn forth as tools of havoc and disruption, while pirates and desperate men live outside the feudal system entirely, hiding in the anonymity of the slums. Some outcasts may even achieve a precarious prosperity through their criminal activities, but such successes can be swiftly reversed.

Mercenary bands drift as conflict permits them, maintaining their ships and gear as they may. Mercenaries can, in the best cases, encapsulate noble leadership over a well-defined officer class in a mercenary band that fights according to the laws of war and spends their pay to maintain their ships at whatever colony they make port at. In the worst cases, they are little more than pirates themselves. Many rest somewhere between these two extremes. It is not always easy to judge exactly what sort a given mercenary band is.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 7, 2022

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In other runs of this game, have you grown this big this fast? It seems wild that we're only 14ish years in and already are big!

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

dervinosdoom posted:

In other runs of this game, have you grown this big this fast? It seems wild that we're only 14ish years in and already are big!

I've generally grown by now, but how much varies. The Patton Quadrant was basically ripe to fall apart, which helped us. As I've said many times, Star Dynasties is a game of seizing opportunity when it comes.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 8, 2022

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Common titles of rulers of colonies and realms tend to fall into one of four broad groups. The 'standard' titles of Baron for a colonial ruler and Duke for the ruler of a realm have no particular historical claims embodied with them, beyond that of the nobility of the ruler's House. The title of King is similar to Duke, and likewise embodies no special historical claims. The other three groups imply either a historical claim about the House of the ruler, or a historical claim about how their House was raised to rule of a colony. Colonial Directors (as equivalent to Barons) and Directors-General (as equivalent to Dukes) either make a claim that their House originated from within one of the pre-Collapse corporate organisations, or that their claim to baronial title was created by action of a Director-General. Thus the head of House Weiss is a Director-General, given House Weiss's claims of being descended from Orion Industries corporate officers, and the rulers of Miaplacidus and Ross 128, which were installed by House Weiss after deposing their old colonial rulers, are styled Colonial Directors. The realm ruled by a Director-General is generally referred to as a 'Guild'. Governors (as equivalent to Barons) and Governors-General (as equivalent to Dukes) likewise make claims of their House's descent from pre-Collapse civil government or that the claim to colonial rule of the House was established by action of a Governor-General. Finally, Presidents (as equivalent to Barons) and Coordinators (as equivalent to Dukes) make a historical claim that either their House's original assumption of colonial rule was achieved by the consensus of all the Houses of their colony or that their House's assumption of colonial rule was due to being installed by a Coordinator. A realm headed by a Coordinator is generally referred to as a 'Collective'.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 8, 2022

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm enjoying all these posts about the culture!

Would Rebecca having a child push Prudence and her children further back in succession? I'm assuming it will.

Is there any actions you can choose for Romeo (or any other non-council members) other than be sent to bolster various baronies and dukedoms under your banner?

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dervinosdoom posted:

Would Rebecca having a child push Prudence and her children further back in succession? I'm assuming it will.

I'll sneak in an answer that. Yes.

It's the same as with the British royal family. Each time Prince William has a kid, he pushes everyone further back in the succession number, except for his father (who is first in line) and his existing children.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

General Revil posted:

I'll sneak in an answer that. Yes.

It's the same as with the British royal family. Each time Prince William has a kid, he pushes everyone further back in the succession number, except for his father (who is first in line) and his existing children.

I figured it worked like that but you never know.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Revil is correct; our succession law is based on 'oldest child' succession, which means that Rebecca, Emily, and Alice (Thomas' children) will inherit before Prudence or any of her children.

As for your second question... you're asking about assignments? The primary verb you have in normal play for House members is putting them on assignments. To quote from the post setting out our initial situation...

nweismuller posted:

The assignments associated with Administration are Assist Tax Collection, which provides a bonus to the tax revenue we gain from a vassal with no penalty to that vassal's own income, Rebuild Colony, which (at a cost of 240 viridium and eight action points to start the assignment, rather than the usual two) allows a colony on our borders abandoned due to damage during the course of the game to be rebuilt and resettled as part of our faction, with only its Main Settlement installation functional to start, Rebuild Fleet, which increases the rate at which military ships are rebuilt at a colony up to the support limit of the colony, and Repair Installation (at a variable viridium cost defined by the installation) which makes a non-functional installation at a colony functional so it can grant its benefits and slightly reduce unrest generation on the colony due to more living space and more opportunities for advancement in the jobs associated with the installation.

If what you're asking is if assignments need to have you away from Vega, it's possible (at reduced assignment effectiveness) to run an assignment remotely from home. In fact, that's the only way council members ever run assignments, since they need to stay at home to manage their department as a whole. If you want a chance to be posted to Vega for a while, asking to manage your assignment remotely is a possibility, although you'd have to convince Thomas and Jane of this.

If I'm totally misunderstanding your question, please clarify. :)

E: Unlike the British royal family, where males born before 2011 inherited before their older sisters, House Weiss' inheritance law is sex-agnostic, which is why Jane is Director-General and not Thomas.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 8, 2022

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

nweismuller posted:

Revil is correct; our succession law is based on 'oldest child' succession, which means that Rebecca, Emily, and Alice (Thomas' children) will inherit before Prudence or any of her children.

As for your second question... you're asking about assignments? The primary verb you have in normal play for House members is putting them on assignments. To quote from the post setting out our initial situation...

If what you're asking is if assignments need to have you away from Vega, it's possible (at reduced assignment effectiveness) to run an assignment remotely from home. In fact, that's the only way council members ever run assignments, since they need to stay at home to manage their department as a whole. If you want a chance to be posted to Vega for a while, asking to manage your assignment remotely is a possibility, although you'd have to convince Thomas and Jane of this.

If I'm totally misunderstanding your question, please clarify. :)

I didn't know that Romeo had the WFH option, I thought only the council had that.

I'm also curious if Romeo is invited to other house's feasts if Prudence is invited (he gets a buff for a feast) or if he's left to sit behind his mahogany desk all sad while his wife and crush are feasting.

Are there any other succession laws?

Gameplay wise, if Thomas kicks it early, is Romeo the second best administrator and would replace him on the council?

Lady Jaybird fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 8, 2022

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

dervinosdoom posted:

I didn't know that Romeo had the WFH option, I thought only the council had that.

I'm also curious if Romeo is invited to other house's feasts if Prudence is invited (he gets a buff for a feast) or if he's left to sit behind his mahogany desk all sad while his wife and crush are feasting.

Are there any other succession laws?

Rulers get a limited number of additional guests they take with them when invited to a feast, which are automatically-determined (generally set up so they'll take their spouse and at least one person who's a viable tournament champion from the council). Prudence or Romeo have not been amongst those automatically chosen by the game. Romeo's chances to attend feasts come when we host the feast at Vega, which should let everybody in our House attend.

I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but there are a total of 12 succession laws, consisting of four base laws with differing variants for gender bias. The base laws are Oldest Child, Oldest Sibling, Closest Relative, and Youngest Child. Variants on these then get us Oldest Son, Oldest Daughter, Oldest Brother, Oldest Sister, Closest Male, Closest Female, Youngest Son, and Youngest Daughter.

E: If Thomas died early, Jane would then appoint a new Executive Director to the council. She could, hypothetically, if so she chose, appoint Noelle Garcia or somebody else equally silly to the position. If Thomas died now, though, Romeo would absolutely be the logical choice and the person Jane would put in the position.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 8, 2022

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

dervinosdoom posted:

To be absolutely clear, if you want to remotely manage your assignment, explicitly ask for it; then at least Thomas and Jane can discuss the merits of granting the request. Having a good, convincing argument for why you should remotely manage an assignment will make it more likely that Jane, at least, will accept the request- I can hardly speak for how Thomas will decide.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

nweismuller posted:

Rulers get a limited number of additional guests they take with them when invited to a feast, which are automatically-determined (generally set up so they'll take their spouse and at least one person who's a viable tournament champion from the council). Prudence or Romeo have not been amongst those automatically chosen by the game. Romeo's chances to attend feasts come when we host the feast at Vega, which should let everybody in our House attend.

I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but there are a total of 12 succession laws, consisting of four base laws with differing variants for gender bias. The base laws are Oldest Child, Oldest Sibling, Closest Relative, and Youngest Child. Variants on these then get us Oldest Son, Oldest Daughter, Oldest Brother, Oldest Sister, Closest Male, Closest Female, Youngest Son, and Youngest Daughter.

E: If Thomas died early, Jane would then appoint a new Executive Director to the council. She could, hypothetically, if so she chose, appoint Noelle Garcia or somebody else equally silly to the position. If Thomas died now, though, Romeo would absolutely be the logical choice and the person Jane would put in the position.

You probably did mention succession! Sorry! I do stream of thought questions while I'm looking at trends and logic.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Administration Department internal memo, subject: To be super clear posted:

Everyone in the administration department is required to spend a minimum of 40 hours in their assigned office per week. Moreover, the office must be where our actual vassals are located, not some remote pseudo office. If you don't show up, we will assume you have resigned.

The more senior you are, the more visible must be your presence. That is why I live in the office so much - so that those on the grind can see me working alongside them. If I don't do that, administration would long ago have rendered the Guild bankrupt. There are of course regimes that don't require this, but when was the last time they absorbed vast swaths of known space? It's been a while.

The Weiss Guild has and will create and actually govern the most exciting and meaningful realm of any society in the galaxy. This will not happen by phoning it in.

Thanks,

Thomas

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

EclecticTastes posted:

Administration Department internal memo, subject: To be super clear posted:

posted:
Everyone in the administration department is required to spend a minimum of 40 hours in their assigned office per week. Moreover, the office must be where our actual vassals are located, not some remote pseudo office. If you don't show up, we will assume you have resigned.

The more senior you are, the more visible must be your presence. That is why I live in the office so much - so that those on the grind can see me working alongside them. If I don't do that, administration would long ago have rendered the Guild bankrupt. There are of course regimes that don't require this, but when was the last time they absorbed vast swaths of known space? It's been a while.

The Weiss Guild has and will create and actually govern the most exciting and meaningful realm of any society in the galaxy. This will not happen by phoning it in.

Thanks,

Thomas

Thanks! I hate it! That totally would be a Thomas memo.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
So, about the number of people attracted to Jane...

It's pretty much a side-effect of Jane being high-visibility and high-status, from what Glen says. Given Jane's position, many characters pay a good amount of attention to her, and she's achieved a lot of things that make her net reputation very good. I gather that both having a high reputation and being somebody that a character is paying more attention to increase the chances that they'll become attracted to somebody.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

nweismuller posted:

So, about the number of people attracted to Jane...

It's pretty much a side-effect of Jane being high-visibility and high-status, from what Glen says. Given Jane's position, many characters pay a good amount of attention to her, and she's achieved a lot of things that make her net reputation very good. I gather that both having a high reputation and being somebody that a character is paying more attention to increase the chances that they'll become attracted to somebody.

This is pretty accurate to how celebrities work. I mean, politicians tend not to be objects of attraction in the modern world, compared to movie stars and the like, but given the context of a feudal system where marriage can equal power, it actually seems pretty spot-on. That's a pretty neat emergent mechanic.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Oh, neat, let me just quote Glen here, on 'Social Classes of the Colonies'...

Glen Pawley posted:

It's great. Highly consistent with what's in my head, and lovely detail... makes you visualize a world in which a lot of interesting stories could be told. The only thing I'd have changed is that I think of the peacekeepers as being in the officer class. The lowest rung of it perhaps. But it's a minor detail - and you point out that the peacekeepers are better treated anyway. Great lore post!

It's always rewarding to have him confirm I've honed in very close to what he was imagining. He's been watching all of us, and has been enjoying the involvement of all of you in the story, so I say you all should feel proud. Great work, everybody.

E: Speaking of attention from Glen...

https://twitter.com/StarDynasties/status/1534811373489860613

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 9, 2022

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Anyhow, I'm out for a couple of days but find myself itching to do... something related to the LP. Anybody have any questions I might be able to address? As ever, I'm glad to accept people who want to take on one of the people yet to be claimed. I've edited in the link to the Pawley Games tweet to the OP. I feel as if I've earned that one.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Oh goody! More people reading my terrible writing!

How long do typical games last? Year wise. Also, is this game like Crusader Kings as time progresses technology gets better?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

dervinosdoom posted:

Oh goody! More people reading my terrible writing!

How long do typical games last? Year wise. Also, is this game like Crusader Kings as time progresses technology gets better?

Technology is static in Star Dynasties. The Expeditions events are, literally, the 'research' mechanic in the game, set up so they don't break the premise of the colonies fundamentally not developing new technologies. You can accumulate a small cluster of permanent bonuses from Expeditions, but it's a slow process and not one where the colonies are seeing a general advance. A typical game, in my experience, runs about three to five generations of rulers.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
A little bit of spoiler territory that I'm just direly curious about :

Does the Sol system generate on the map? Is it possible to "find" Earth?

If it's not, is any lore given for why Sol isn't present on the full game map beyond "it was lost"? Something like Starsector works a little harder to fully clarify why Earth doesn't exist on the game map (in that case, the Sector™ is in the Perseus Arm of the galaxy and making the trip out of the Sector on "just" standard FTL is impractical) so I'm curious about how it's handled here.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

SpaceDrake posted:

A little bit of spoiler territory that I'm just direly curious about :

Does the Sol system generate on the map? Is it possible to "find" Earth?

If it's not, is any lore given for why Sol isn't present on the full game map beyond "it was lost"? Something like Starsector works a little harder to fully clarify why Earth doesn't exist on the game map (in that case, the Sector™ is in the Perseus Arm of the galaxy and making the trip out of the Sector on "just" standard FTL is impractical) so I'm curious about how it's handled here.

Sol does not generate on the map, and the game is extremely vague on whether this is a gameplay abstraction for 'nothing useful to find there anymore' or 'it's literally inaccessible'. Whatever happened, Earth is described as destroyed, not that the people of the colonies have a clear idea as to why. I have a hunch as to who might be responsible, but even that's a guess based on what scraps of information I've found, and is short on the precise details.

My interpretation that I'm going with for purposes of this playthrough:

The starlanes leading to Sol are no longer navigable. Sol can still be seen by long-range astronomy, and legend holds that astronomers during the Khalil era made observations that seem to indicate that the inner system planets are no longer present- they might still be around in the form of asteroids, but people were unable to make precise enough observations to determine that.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 11, 2022

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

the ancient Admiral Wiess posted:

My apologies for my late arrival to this council meeting. Walking the corridors of this colony is taking much longer than I remember it doing.
To begin with, I'm stating for the record that it is my formal recommendation to the Director-General that Colonel Garcia is chosen as my successor.
It is unfortunate that Patton chose to surrender to the Weiss League rather than provide an opportunity for you to display your tactical acumen in a real fleet action.
Nevertheless, between your recent tournament victory, ongoing peacekeeping efforts, and this impressive elite guard of yours, you have shown ample aptitude for the role.
I can picture none better for the task.

As for peacekeeping, I'm keeping Carmen deployed to Nashira.
Merope and Ross 128 is currently at the top of the list where urgent intervention is needed.
Colonel, you'll take Ross 128, and I will oversee Merope.
Additionally, should you prefer to oversee your assignment remotely from right here on Vega you have my leave to do so.
It is no secret to anyone that I am on the seventh bell, and once you are elevated to a full council member you will be stuck here on Vega.
I would prefer you getting some practical experience in overseeing your duties remotely before then.

Doctor Prudence Wiess, via vid-link posted:

--blasted piece of-- --ncient cra--
There, I think I've stabilised the link. Everybody hear me? Good.
Given my present condition I figured this way was best for everyone.
This way I can just hit mute when I'm abou----
------
About to do that.
Alright, assignments.
Firstly, with the Direc----
------
Director-General's leave, please Illario get me to stop throwing up every five minutes, please!

That's the immediate concern. Well, to me at least.
After you're done with me Illario, how about you start training Rebecca in Administration?
I believe Jane int----
------
Intend to have her get some learning by doing. It's not exactly a honeymoon, but you can travel together!

Now this science ark. This could be an incredible treasure trove of all sorts of lost knowledge!
As soon as I'm healt----
------
Healthy, we should investigate it to the fullest!

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Although it has cost sixty thousand marks, House Weiss has purchased logs from House Nicholson shedding light upon the science ark- the vessel was intended as a terraforming ship, a great project of the Galileo Institute launched in the glory days immediately before the Collapse, but not even its original crew was capable of successfully completing this mission. The science ark represents one of the projects of the ancients of the grandest scope- ambitions the modern colonies have wisely retreated from. Even keeping standard ark ships in operation as mobile ships is more than the colonies can truly support today. To relaunch the original mission of the terraforming ship would require resources of staggering scope, seeking a goal never achieved even by the ancients, and this after putting the ship back in service to make orbit once more, which would in itself be a challenge. Such a project could be little short of absolute madness... even identifying suitable candidate planets for terraforming would involve intense research and would require conditions which are not guaranteed to exist on any planets near Weiss territory. Still, for those willing to contemplate madness... the scope of what this might mean is almost beyond comprehension.

Simply disassembling the ship for study and salvaging its industrial plant meant to support the terraforming crew as they transform the world, on the other hand, would have large and predictable rewards, allowing the salvage of valuable industrial capacity and permitting Technology to study relics of extreme interest.

Director-General Jane Weiss posted:

I have reviewed the logs we recovered from House Nicholson. They are almost beyond belief. I expect all council members to review the logs on their own time and report to the council chambers in three hours. We need to decide what is to be done about our find in Albireo.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 13, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow. What a find.

I don't know how you can do anything but option 2 or 3 in your narrative LP. The Weiss guild to me looks pretty secure, there are few internal threats, and we seem to be like one of the biggest human realms left. Just scrapping the ship would do little to further the narrative, outclassing our competition even more is not exciting. But if this really is a project that swallows a lot of resources and forces nweismuller to engage in a careful balancing act between funding the terraforming project, but also retain enough money to defend against other realms and to placate the guild's vassals, it would be a cool story to read.

And in-story, I think the sentiment in option 2 is 100% correct. Being forced to live on artificial habitats is a recipe for disaster, a finding a planetary home for mankind is a matter of survival. That said, it would be interesting to see Jane start this project in order to make the Weiss guild the unquestionably dominant power among humanity.

I wonder if this problem has any chance at success. I guess a terraformed planet alone won't be of immediate help, populating it will take time, and building up the infrastructure so that the planet can even start to earn back the investment in it will also cost resources (and time). Still, it would be cool to see such a thing in the LP. If you capture fallen empire planets in Stellaris, you've basically already won, so the overpowered buildings on that system won't be much help. But it's still cool to have them, so I could see something similar happening in Star Dynasties.

I still think it's more likely that the event is impossible to successfully complete, or it will end with "the process has started, it will take a few centuries to complete", which means you won't see results in the time frame of the game. But it would imho still be cool to see the story tied to the event.

Anyway, I haven't claimed a character, so I can't vote for any option. But this is a very exciting time for the LP!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

What are the functional differences between options 1-3? They all seem to convey the same objective of "terraform planets" but backed up with different reasoning, so I imagine it affects the outcome.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wow,

A livable planet!

Weiss has got to do it!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Doctor Prudence Weiss posted:

Terraforming! A chance for humanity to actually build something new for the first time in centuries!
Imagine it Jane! House Weiss breaking this sad cycle of stagnation we're all trapped in!
We have to do it. We have to.

Admiral Harold Weiss posted:

I admit that my daughter's enthusiasm is.. infectious. But I still have to caution against this.
Not even at the peak of humanity's power did our forebears succeed with this grand dream.
If House Weiss is to have any hope of succeeding in a dream as lofty as this, it needs to already hold a place of uncontested primacy.
Any credible rival would look upon us pursuing this as folly and madness. A weakness to strike at.
Remember that House Khalil once commanded the entire known galaxy. Now look what remains of them.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

EclecticTastes posted:

What are the functional differences between options 1-3? They all seem to convey the same objective of "terraform planets" but backed up with different reasoning, so I imagine it affects the outcome.

There are none; the choice between the three is fully expressive.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Colonel of Peacekeepers Bella Garcia posted:

You do me great honour, Admiral. I have two hopes, that I can live up to the example you have set in the role, and that it does not become necessary for me to do so for a good while yet. Your point about acclimating myself to remote command is well taken, and given my husband's posting on Vega would be most welcome on a personal level. To date I have favoured a hands-on approach local to my task, both to get a better sense of the situation and thus be more efficient in the role, and to not ask of my peacekeepers anything I would not be willing and able to do myself. I will formally request a transfer to Vega in accordance with your wishes.

As for the matter of this terraforming ship... If I may wax poetic, I came from an age of wonders. Scientific progress and advancement at an almost exponential rate, whose fruits were planted on every world humankind now thrives on. In the here and now, innovation is stagnant, advancements are made by digging up past achievements, restoring or repurposing old facilities. It is one of the reasons for my occasional melancholy, as I'm sure you can all understand. But this? A chance to do better, to go further than the best of that earlier age were ever able to do, to make some actual progress and advancement, to do something amazing and unprecedented for the betterment of humanity? We have to try. Please, let's expand the boundaries of what we can do as a species rather than retreading where we once strode boldly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Director-Consort Mariko Weiss posted:

I'll confess that the entire concept staggers me, and I am far from the best-qualified to discuss the demands it will place on us. You know I don't have a grasp on our accounts, and although I have learned a little science this is so far past what I understand as to leave me awed. All I know is that I trust you, Jane, to choose well.