Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

Kirby is small and pink and shaped like a friend. Kirby lives in Dreamland on the planet Pop Star. Kirby has killed many dark cosmic gods, and usually only as accidental collateral damage because someone unrelated stole Kirby’s cake, or had a cake nearby that Kirby wanted. Kirby’s stomach is an infinite void into which he can inhale and either store or destroy mass quantities of matter. He can also integrate a devoured creature’s DNA with his own and use the Copy Ability to steal their powers for his own. Kirby has a collection of frenemies that follow him from game to game and usually get beat up by him but can occasionally team up against whatever that week’s galaxy-ending threat is. This thread is for talking about Kirby, Kirby games, the latest Kirby trends, and :siren:Kirby Lore.:siren:

King Dedede is the self-proclaimed king of Dreamland. He’s almost always at least partially villainous owing to his incredible gluttony, but he does have the heart of a hero when he puts in the effort. Despite appearances he is incredibly strong and an expert in smashing things with a hammer.

Meta Knight is a mysterious masked space warrior who wields an impressive sword. He has a penchant for fair play so he tends to hand over a freebie Sword ability whenever he must be fought as a boss, which is often. He resembles Kirby whenever his mask is removed, a fact that seems to embarrass him greatly. Despite their constant clashes, he’s one of Kirby’s most reliable allies and probably the closest thing the series has to a true heroic figure.

Gooey is a rebellious Dark Matter entity, “rebellious” here meaning pure-hearted and friendly. He’s one of Kirby’s best friends and can copy or emulate all of Kirby’s abilities. More recently his appearances have featured him leaning a bit more on his natural Dark Matter powers, but he remains a fun-loving force for good.

Bandana Waddle Dee is a relative newcomer but a mainstay in Kirby’s inner circle. He’s Dedede’s right-hand man. A member of the most basic enemy class, he distinguishes himself with his stylish bandana and hardiness, and more recently his skill with a spear. He doesn’t have much of a personality, but his willingness to step up and fight the good fight shows strength of character.

Kirby has loads of other friends and recurring characters, but we don’t have time for all that.

Mainline Kirby Games
Kirby has featured a ton of games, and Nintendo likes to use him as the face of more experimental titles. However, the main games are 2D adventure platformers. They always have loads of secrets and multiple endings that depend on fulfilling a specific objective. They’re also very easy to complete, but contain bonus content that is only for the most hardcore of Gamers.

Kirby’s Dreamland (Game Boy, 1992): The very first appearance of the beloved puffball. King Dedede has stolen all of Dreamland’s food, and Kirby teaches him why this is a bad idea. Kirby couldn’t copy yet, so instead it has fairly standard powerups.
Kirby’s Adventure (NES, 1993): A late-era NES title and one of its best. King Dedede hosed up again, this time by stealing the Star Rod from the Fountain of Dreams, depriving the citizens of Dreamland of their sweet dreams. Kirby sets out to once again beat the piss out of King Dedede. Introduces the Copy Ability in a big bad way, with over 20 unique powers. Rereleased on the GBA in 2002 as Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland featuring updated visuals inspired by the anime and a few bonuses.
Kirby’s Dreamland 2 (Game Boy, 1995): Kirby goes on vacation to the Rainbow Islands, only to discover that some rear end in a top hat has broken all the Rainbow Bridges that connect them. Was it King Dedede? Kirby is going to kick his rear end either way. The power count drops sharply, but is made up for with the addition of the Animal Friends: Rick the Hamster, Coo the Owl, and Kine the Fish, who team up with Kirby to provide him special moves and each gain their own variations on copy powers.
Kirby Super Star (SNES, 1996): The legendary SNES title has five whole-rear end Kirby games on one cart. Spring Breeze is an updated version of the original Dream Land. In Dynablade, the evil bird Dynablade has stolen all of Kirby’s food so he goes to kick its rear end. Revenge of Meta Knight has a ballistic Meta Knight all set to conquer Dreamland and install himself as its rightful ruler, so Kirby launches a one-puff assault on his battleship to stop the coup. Great Cave Offensive is a Metroidvania-lite wherein Kirby scours the titular Great Cave (an entire world in itself) in search of treasure. Finally, the centerpiece Milky Way Wishes has Kirby venture to the wish-granting robot at the center of the galaxy to stop the sun and moon from fighting. This game introduced unique entire movesets to each copy ability, essentially combining previous separate powers into one. It also introduced the ability to create “Helper” characters out of copy abilities, an idea that would be expanded on as the series moved forward. Another innovation was the Arena, which had existed before as a minigame but is now given a fully-fledged mode which would become a mainstay element of the series. Re-released in 2008 on the DS as Super Star Ultra, which added two new games - Revenge of the King, a hard remix of Spring Breeze, and Meta Knightmare Ultra which had you play as Meta Knight and battle through all the main games in a row. It also included Helper to Hero and True Arena, new versions of the Arena mode.
Kirby’s Dreamland 3 (SNES, 1997): Kirby teams up with his new best friend Gooey to stop the Dark Matter from taking over Dreamland the only way they can - with the power of love. Not well-received at the time due to taking several huge steps back from Super Star, but has become somewhat vindicated for its charming style and story importance. Copy abilities are back to basics again, but the Animal Friends return, along with three newcomers: Nago the Cat, Chuchu the Octopus, and Pitch the Bird. Also introduced a proper player 2 in the form of Gooey.
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (N64, 2000): The final part of the Dark Matter trilogy, Kirby is brought to the planet of Ripple Star to save the fairies from the incoming Dark Matter threat, now rampaging across space after the death of their leader, Zero. Kirby teams up with a fairy named Ribbon to save her home and stop the Dark Matter once and for all. Despite the 3D visuals, it still plays as a 2D game. This title has the unique feature of allowing Kirby to combine two copy abilities to form a new one.
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (GBA, 2004): Kirby has a run-in with a magical mirror that transports him to the Mirror World, where shadow versions of familiar characters have run amok. Worse, an evil shadow version of Meta Knight has escaped into the normal world and is wreaking havoc. Kirby has to find his way home and somehow save two entire universes in the process. This one shakes up the formula a bit by being an out-and-out Metroidvania with an open map, but is otherwise fairly unremarkable and had full multiplayer, and all in all on reflection can be considered remarkable after all.
Kirby: Squeak Squad (DS, 2006): Kirby’s lunch is stolen by a gang of rodent thieves, and now everything must die. Kirby quickly learns that the felons have more noble goals in mind, though Kirby is mostly just interested in getting his cake back. Has a few fun features, such as storing copy abilities and items for later use and a ton of unlockable alternate colors for Kirby himself which is something I’m surprised hasn’t made a comeback.
Kirby’s Return to Dreamland (Wii, 2011): Space wizard(!) Magolor crash lands in Dreamland while on the run from the vicious space dragon(!) Landia. He enlists Kirby (and company) to help him recover the Master Crown before it falls into the wrong hands. Builds heavily on the Super Star framework and reintroduces multiplayer - this time allowing other players to be King Dedede, Meta Knight, Bandana Waddle Dee, or another Kirby.
Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS, 2014): The evil Queen Sectonia sets her sights on conquering Dreamland. Kirby is going to show her the error of her ways. Features a bunch of 3D gimmicks (3D = Triple Deluxe do you get it!?) and includes the new Miracle Fruit that empowers Kirby with Hypernova, allowing him to devour practically anything on the screen that isn’t nailed down (and quite a few things that are.) Begins the tradition of hiding important villain lore in the pause screen.
Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS, 2016): Kirby fights back against the Haltmann Works Co., which has begun forced roboticization of Dreamland and its inhabitants in an attempt at galactic takeover in the name of profits. Kirby, a staunch anticapitalist, steals one of their own mech suits to use against them. The mech suit can use its own version of Copy Abilities by scanning enemies and the finale is shonen as all hell.
Kirby Star Allies (Switch, 2018): The Jambastion cult comes to Dreamland to spread their gospel of death and destruction and maybe gather a few thousand unwilling sacrifices to resurrect their dark god, Void Termina. To this end, they infest the world with Jamba Hearts, which drive people insane. However, Kirby’s touch transforms these Jamba Hearts into Friendship Hearts, which turn enemies into friends. Wasn’t well-liked at first for its heavy emphasis on Helpers and short main campaign, but eventually stood on its own for its insane amount of bonus content, massive playable roster of pretty much every major character and recurring enemy in Kirby history, and absolutely bugfuck bonkers finale full of Lore.
Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Switch, 2022): OUT NOW. The mysterious Beast Pack has kidnapped all the Waddle Dees in a land that is both familiar and strange! Is Kirby's new best friend Elfilin a horrible monster in disguise? (Yes) Fully 3D for the first time ever, gacha figurine collection, town building, simpler powers that can be evolved, and Kirby gets a new Mouthful Mode, where he takes on the properties of things too large for him to properly swallow (cars, for example.)

There are many other Kirby spin-off games, animes, comic books, gourmet dishes, licensed jackets, toys, compact discs, and vitamin supplements. They won't be described here but feel free to discuss them at your leisure. This is a positive space for all things Kirby.

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

:goonsay: in Kirby's Adventure, Dedede didn't necessarily 'gently caress up'; he took the star rod to hide it from the big evil nightmare. It was one of those "enemy of my enemy is my friend" dealies, which looking back at that time, especially in NES games and storylines, it was a pretty good one.

It'd be like Bowser kidnapping the princess because some evil wizard was trying to find her and turn her into, I don't know, Ludwig von Koopa.

Anyway, good thread, good OP.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 22, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
kirby ftw

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:goonsay: in Kirby's Adventure, Dedede didn't necessarily 'gently caress up'; he took the star rod to hide it from the big evil nightmare. It was one of those "enemy of my enemy is my friend" dealies, which looking back at that time, especially in NES games and storylines, it was a pretty good one.

It'd be like Bowser kidnapping the princess because some evil wizard was trying to find her and turn her into, I don't know, Ludwig von Koopa.

Anyway, good thread, good OP.

I tried to avoid spoilers, but this is factually correct.

Hell yeah.

MassRafTer posted:

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror is also notable for having multiplayer! Not an unremarkable game at all. Does Metroid or Vania have multiplayer???

Fixed this oversight.

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 22, 2022

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror is also notable for having multiplayer! Not an unremarkable game at all. Does Metroid or Vania have multiplayer???

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Top tier OP.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Where's the person that's the Kirby Lore-master? It's probably the best Nintendo IP lore except for maybe the Kong family.

I'm going to buy all the weird Kirby Side games on the 3DS virtual console because Kirby's great for weird side games.

Like Kirby Golf on the SNES App it's a loving riot.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Still can't believe we're getting a 3D Kirby game after all this time.

Kirby is good.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'm replaying through Robobot before Forgotten Land comes out and it's a fun time. Game looks rather nice in Citra I must say. Nice little peek of what 3D Kirby could be like in the 3D Rumble subgame too.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i heard Thomas Ligotti wrote the script for the new one, sounds cool.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Robobot is currently peak Kirby, and I hope it gets toppled on Friday

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

game leaked for yuzu, sounds like its good, shocker

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Whozu is yuzu?

E: seriously if we go through all the MK8 DLC and not get a single Air Ride track then what was the point

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 22, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Air Ride 2 when

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I decided not to post it but I had originally written a second half of the OP talking about all the spin-offs and it was about 75% begging any god that would listen for an Air Ride sequel.

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 23, 2022

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

RBA Starblade posted:

Air Ride 2 when

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pretty game

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Just make City trial a full fledged game.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Kirby's Epic Yarn is still my favorite Wii game and nothing else is even close, not even the Mario Galaxys. It's not my favorite Kirby game, though. Much like a parent cannot pick a favorite child, I cannot pick a favorite Kirby game.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

hell yeahhhhh kirby!!!

super star ultra and robobot both Rule, star allies was nice too and im excited for forgotten land :)

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I am replaying and re-evaluating Amazing Mirror and I realized that, with the Smash ability and this version of Fighter being the most explicitly Ryu-inspired, it was the first official Smash X SF crossover, beating out Ryu in Smash by 15 years. Just something to consider.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Where is the Kirby lore master, I need a detailed explication of the Ado/Adeleine debate.

Among other things.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Kirby's Epic Yarn is still my favorite Wii game and nothing else is even close, not even the Mario Galaxys. It's not my favorite Kirby game, though. Much like a parent cannot pick a favorite child, I cannot pick a favorite Kirby game.

I should replay Amazing Mirror, I remember it being tops. Maybe I can get my SNES Mini to be a Kirby Machine. I wonder how much more room it has in it...

I haven't played Dreamland 3 (I started it very slowly on the Switch) and the Wii game. Somehow, I've played all the Kirby games otherwise, and I never considered myself that much of a fan. Turns out I am!

Dreamland 2 was one of the first so I have crazy love for the animal buddies. Super Star is excellent of course. I also love Crystal Shards. Those are probably my favorites, but like I said the spin-off games are all very very good and so Kirby Golf on the SNES is amazing, but I really really love Canvas Curse, that was so a good use of the DS touch-screen. I never got a chance at the sequel since I don't have a Wii U.

Also... I never played Air Ride! My racer du jour was either F-Zero, which I was awful at, or Mario Kart, which I was pretty ok at.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Canvas Curse was very good but it was also extremely hard, especially for a Kirby game which is usually pretty chill until you want to do the optional stuff. I'm not saying that as a criticism, mind you. I never did beat it or Mass Attack. I have Mass Attack lying around somewhere in my DS cases but I don't know what happened to my Canvas Curse cart.

Rainbow whatever, the Wii U game that's the spiritual sequel to Canvas Curse, is weird because the game displays on the TV but there's no reason for it to because you're looking at the controller the entire time. I've never played it though, and I never played Air Ride either. Actually I watched a bit of ProZD Plays Games With Jay and they were doing Air Ride and I was confused because I thought it was a racing game like Mario Kart but they were just flying around a city with no real clear goal.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I want to chew on Kirby like a piece of gum

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Discendo Vox posted:

Where is the Kirby lore master, I need a detailed explication of the Ado/Adeleine debate.

Among other things.

Teach the controversy

Ado = Adeline

Waddle Dee 64 = Bandanna Dee

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Actually I watched a bit of ProZD Plays Games With Jay and they were doing Air Ride and I was confused because I thought it was a racing game like Mario Kart but they were just flying around a city with no real clear goal.

It is, more or less - one of the three main modes is City Trial, which dumps you into a city sandbox and gives you a few minutes to collect vehicles and powerups before entering you into a racing-based challenge with all the enhancements you just collected. Smash 3DS's Smash Run mode is basically the same thing, if you're familiar with how that works.

The other two modes are a more traditional behind-the-back racing mode with individual tracks, and then an overhead racing mode with tiny single-screen tracks a la Super Sprint.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 23, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

How is Kirby Star Allies? Is it a whole game or little digital arena fighter?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Star Allies is a fully-fledged mainline Kirby game.

There are two spinoffs on Switch right now - Super Kirby Clash, which is a free-to-play co-op boss rush RPG thing, and Kirby Fighters 2 which is a paid Smash-style platform fighter - both of which have online multiplayer. If they sound familiar, it's because they're sequels to modes/games that originated on 3DS.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What is your favorite Kirby mechanical spin-off game, because boy it sure feels like I've owned a lot of those over the years. I think Kirby's Pinball Land might have been the first video game I ever owned?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Kirby’s Pinball Land may very well be what introduced me to pinball, and I’ve been in a competitive league for about 5 years now

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It's me, I'm the weirdo who's never really played any of the Kirby mechanical spinoffs. I never owned Pinball Land, and I did actually try Dream Course but I never really cared for it much, I don't think it's bad but I couldn't get into it. I guess maybe because it's more of a puzzle game than actual golf?

But yeah I've basically only played the main series games aside from Canvas Curse and messing around with Super Kirby Clash.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's me, I'm the weirdo who's never really played any of the Kirby mechanical spinoffs. I never owned Pinball Land, and I did actually try Dream Course but I never really cared for it much, I don't think it's bad but I couldn't get into it. I guess maybe because it's more of a puzzle game than actual golf?

But yeah I've basically only played the main series games aside from Canvas Curse and messing around with Super Kirby Clash.

Pinball Land is really fun, I've played it more than almost every game in the history of the Earth.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

C-Euro posted:

What is your favorite Kirby mechanical spin-off game, because boy it sure feels like I've owned a lot of those over the years. I think Kirby's Pinball Land might have been the first video game I ever owned?

Air Ride, easy.

Avalanche is up there, but I don't know if it counts since it's just a redrawn Puyo Puyo game. Kirby is a nasty rude little guy in it and it rules.

Trying to imagine a new Pinball Land with modern technology and smiling.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

SkeletonHero posted:

Air Ride, easy.

Avalanche is up there, but I don't know if it counts since it's just a redrawn Puyo Puyo game. Kirby is a nasty rude little guy in it and it rules.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

C-Euro posted:

As a kid I sank an absurd amount of time into Kirby's Dream Course and played it with my cousin a bunch. Good memories and I revisit it - at least the earlier courses - fairly often. I remember it getting hard as hell though.

Sad we never got a sequel.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

forgotten world colosseum confirmed, looking forward to what Rules of Nature lunacy this game’s superbosses will put you through

From the Switch thread. Give me Soul Melter EX+ Alpha and fill the pause screens with enough Lore to kill me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mode 7 posted:

As a kid I sank an absurd amount of time into Kirby's Dream Course and played it with my cousin a bunch. Good memories and I revisit it - at least the earlier courses - fairly often. I remember it getting hard as hell though.

Sad we never got a sequel.

There never was a sequel, but something similar does exist - Dream Course is a reskin of an unreleased game called Special Tee Shot, which was eventually released in a different form in Japan as a download-only Satellaview game, and both the pre- and post-Kirby version ROMs are out there and fully playable: http://snescentral.com/article.php?id=0037

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

SkeletonHero posted:

From the Switch thread. Give me Soul Melter EX+ Alpha and fill the pause screens with enough Lore to kill me.

I am a broken man that cannot help but spoil himself, looks like this games last act is going complete fucko mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Everyone disregards Amazing Mirror as a forgettable release but I rather enjoyed it. To be fair, it did come out right in the middle of the Metroidvania boom on the GBA, and sure, it's not as good of a Metroidvania as Zero Mission which came out the same year and Aria of Sorrow which was the year prior. But in retrospect, we didn't know how good we had it at the time.

Amazing Mirror was one of those games I kind-of bounced off of early but more as a function of Canvas Curse the following year at a time when we were pretty starved for DS releases and so I think I just hopped over to that instead. I didn't go back to Amazing Mirror until, 2019? I thoroughly enjoyed it then. The abstract graph-node map is kind of weird, but Ender Lilies uses it same style map and that was my favorite game of 2021. Which is all to say that I do think it's a solid Kirby title.

Canvas Curse might be the most memorable Kirby game for me despite it not being mainline. It was very different, but very well executed for the time.