Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I don't think Amazing Mirror is forgettable at all. I think Squeak Squad is far more forgettable. Not saying it's a bad game, because it's good, but it's a pretty bog standard Kirby game without anything particularly interesting outside of the pseudo-reuse of Kirby 64's combining powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Love kirby, he's the bomb. The absolute best.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Squeak Squad is probably what I would consider to be the most "nothing" mainline Kirby game. A lot of aesthetics are disjointed and the level design is just weirdly everywhere. You have like levels that last for the normal Kirby length. And some that just last for a few screens and it's done. :psyduck:

Also I thought the cake was just one of those things it's just one moment people really latched onto, but no. The game's narration constantly hammers that in your head in cutscenes. No wonder that's like the one thing people remember about the game.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
People always complain kirby is too easy but I urge them to consider attempting the boss rush/true arena modes in these games because they are ball busting in difficulty.

Also all the spinoffs. Tilt n tumble, dream course, air ride, were all challenging and enjoyable.

Nintendo where is my Air Ride 2.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Soul Eater EX mode is harder than Dark Souls.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Everyone disregards Amazing Mirror as a forgettable release but I rather enjoyed it. To be fair, it did come out right in the middle of the Metroidvania boom on the GBA, and sure, it's not as good of a Metroidvania as Zero Mission which came out the same year and Aria of Sorrow which was the year prior. But in retrospect, we didn't know how good we had it at the time.

Amazing Mirror was one of those games I kind-of bounced off of early but more as a function of Canvas Curse the following year at a time when we were pretty starved for DS releases and so I think I just hopped over to that instead. I didn't go back to Amazing Mirror until, 2019? I thoroughly enjoyed it then. The abstract graph-node map is kind of weird, but Ender Lilies uses it same style map and that was my favorite game of 2021. Which is all to say that I do think it's a solid Kirby title.

Canvas Curse might be the most memorable Kirby game for me despite it not being mainline. It was very different, but very well executed for the time.

I remember one year I was on a kirby kick and wanted to play every kirby game ever, and I think Amazing Mirror ranked as my second favorite of all the kirby games I played (superstar being #1)

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I'm having a great time with Amazing Mirror. Squeak Squad is next up for a replay but it's going to have to wait.

How Rude posted:

Soul Eater EX mode is harder than Dark Souls.

Beating Soul Eater EX is the only true measure of a Gamer's skill.

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 23, 2022

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

kirpy

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So do we know how many copy abilities are in Forgotten Lands?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Willo567 posted:

So do we know how many copy abilities are in Forgotten Lands?

Needle
Bomb
Sword
Cutter
Ice
Fire
Hammer
Tornado
Crash
Sleep
Drill
Ranger

12 x 3 upgrades = 36 abilities.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Curious if the game is gonna get any (if it gets any at all) updates as meaningful as Star Allies got. By the time the last one came out they had managed to add quite a handful of stuff, even it the totally new stuff were characters and music while any new level content were new sections of levels that used the assets already in the game as materials.

Like I'm not expecting new/returning copy abilities to be added but maybe like, new characters to fight in the Colosseum maybe?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I feel like we didn't know anything about post-launch support until a Direct following the release showed off the wave 1 content. Or at least I feel like if I knew there'd be updates coming I wouldn't have completely cleaned out Star Allies over the weekend.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The direct for Star Allies made it clear there was going to be post-launch support, and it tied into the fact you had all sorts of allies as the main mechanic and that's what post launch support would center around. I don't see anything like that dropping for Forgotten Land to be honest.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Araxxor posted:

The direct for Star Allies made it clear there was going to be post-launch support, and it tied into the fact you had all sorts of allies as the main mechanic and that's what post launch support would center around. I don't see anything like that dropping for Forgotten Land to be honest.

Plus between the town and the upgraded moves it's possible that Forgotten Land is just a meatier game than what Star Allies was at launch.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I still want a Kirby JRPG and a Kirby Musou.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

A Kirby RPG in the vein of Super Mario RPG seems like such a no-brainer.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

A Kirby RPG in the vein of Super Mario RPG seems like such a no-brainer.

Final Fantasy job system but it's different Kirby copy abilities

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Chieves posted:

Final Fantasy job system but it's different Kirby copy abilities

gently caress this is too good now I have to cry myself to sleep since it will only exist in dreams.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Twelve by Pies posted:

gently caress this is too good now I have to cry myself to sleep since it will only exist in dreams.

Welcome to my life since playing the Great Cave Offensive.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

In hindsight I don't think that cave was really as offensive as they made it out to be.

Maybe the castle part.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Araxxor posted:

Squeak Squad is probably what I would consider to be the most "nothing" mainline Kirby game. A lot of aesthetics are disjointed and the level design is just weirdly everywhere. You have like levels that last for the normal Kirby length. And some that just last for a few screens and it's done. :psyduck:

Also I thought the cake was just one of those things it's just one moment people really latched onto, but no. The game's narration constantly hammers that in your head in cutscenes. No wonder that's like the one thing people remember about the game.

The weirder part is that it is (or was, Star Allies might've overtaken it) the most successful Kirby game since the very first one on Game Boy, purely due to being in the right place at the right time (ie the DS right as that and NSMB were heating up),

Star Allies was like the second coming of Squeak Squad in that it was also hugely successful without actually being very good, but all the updates did at least make the post-game fun.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

SkeletonHero posted:

Is Kirby's new best friend Elfilin a horrible monster in disguise? (Yes)

I've been convinced for weeks that Elfilin is going to turn out to be some Rat Fink gently caress, but I threw that theory out today when I had a mad thought that clicked everything together so perfectly that I'm now 98% certain I've figured out the story of Forgotten Land.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

LuckyCat posted:

Kirby Canvas Curse is my fav Kirby game but I don’t think a port or sequel would be possible on the Switch unless they sold it with some kind of stylus accessory.

What is Kirby? Is he a Kirby? A Pokémon? Are there others?

Oxxidation posted:

he is a primordial being of raw chaos who decided he likes hugs and food more than destroying the universe

this is not a joke

Larryb posted:

That’s the explanation the anime gave at least but I don’t recall if Kirby was ever given a proper origin in the games themselves

Canvas Curse already had a sequel on the Wii U

As for the second part, Meta Knight is apparently also a member of Kirby’s species

Oxxidation posted:

it's in star allies. void termina's core is just kirby. the lore entries for it say that despite its omnicidal tendencies it's basically a neutral being and could become much friendlier with positive influence

Larryb posted:

Neat, somehow never realized that (though it doesn’t explain why Meta Knight is literally a blue Kirby underneath his mask though).

As I mentioned, the Kirby anime did something similar years earlier by implying that Kirby was a failed creation of Nightmare that rebelled against him

Bleck posted:

So is Galacta Knight, probably.

Although my secret headcanon is that Galacta Knight is time-traveling future Kirby.

Triskelli posted:

Maybe Metaknight isn’t the same thing as Kirby, but the positive influence? We see Void shift back and forth from a Dark Matter look to a Kirby/Metaknight look

Also there’s a Kirby mega thread that’s been demanding lore experts

I’d always taken the old Anime lore that Kirby & Meta Knight were “Star Warriors” and that those were a group of people, but with the implication that Kirby is something of a empathetic font of all-consuming power, maybe he just decided to look like Meta Knight since our introduction to the character was throwing Kirby some candy?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The anime is a separate continuity from the games. It's pretty much its own thing unless the games directly take from it, which they do sometimes. The star warriors backstory does not apply at all to the games, namely cause it revolved around Nightmare being the mastermind in the anime. Where in the games he just tried to take over Popstar's dreams, got sealed in the Fountain by King Dedede, and got killed by Kirby, all in the same game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I think in the games it’s just implied that Kirby was always a resident of Popstar (though the theory that he was born from a Void Termina that happened to choose Meta Knight as its base sort of makes sense and would explain why he has similar powers).

The anime also implies that Kirby was a failed creation of Nightmare’s that rebelled but doesn’t really do anything with the concept as far as I recall

Speaking of, the Kirby anime was fun albeit very episodic (they should make another one one day)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 24, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Kirby star Stacker was such a good game that never got modern followups despite being a solid lil puzzle formula.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, the Kirby anime was fun albeit very episodic (they should make another one one day)

Only if they bring back the best one-off villain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhy_pF0QbLc

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, was there ever a Kirby manga of some kind?

Also crossposting this from the Switch thread:

The Kins posted:

Iwata A--(sigh) Ask the Developers for the new Kirby is up, and has some interesting discussion of the challenges faced in maintaining Kirby's traditionally easy, easy-to-play gameplay in a 3D setting without ending up with empty, boring levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtzWUwTh2ZM

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 24, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I picture Kirby lore like a deceptively deep puddle. You think you'll be fine, stepping in it a bit, and before you know it, you're neck deep in it.

I haven't plunged the depths of it all just yet, but maybe someday soon.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejmTWTv75oc

It takes 4 hours to talk about everything Kirby related

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Where's Block Ball 2 and a true sequel to Super Star?

Forgotten Land looks fun, I'll definitely grab it eventually.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Good to know that Kirby games aren't easy for the sake of the players.

quote:

Ninomiya:
On the Nintendo side, we play through completed sections of the game as development progresses, then provide our feedback. We kept suggesting that HAL Laboratory increase the number and placement of enemies, but new stages would still arrive with noticeable gaps in terms of enemy encounters. I made a point to ask them directly, "Why aren't the stages more densely populated?"

Their response was that it wouldn't be fair to poor Kirby to surround him with an overwhelming number of opponents!

"Poor Kirby"?

Kumazaki:
They weren't joking! Everyone on our development staff really loves Kirby, so no one wanted to torment him with an unfair situation.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, was there ever a Kirby manga of some kind?

Several, and Viz recently started bringing over best-of books from the most long-running manga in English (I think they called it Kirby Manga Mania?)

Archie Comics pitched for a Kirby comic a few years ago, too, but that obviously didn't happen.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

But Kirby's one of the most overpowered video game characters ever.

For a few years now I've kinda held the belief that a lot of the modern Kirby games (Return To Dreamland and beyond) have been a bit samey. Epic Yarn was an interesting a breath of fresh air but I'm baffled by its 3DS version.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Several, and Viz recently started bringing over best-of books from the most long-running manga in English (I think they called it Kirby Manga Mania?)

Archie Comics pitched for a Kirby comic a few years ago, too, but that obviously didn't happen.

Is the manga any good out of curiosity (and does it have stories or is it more of a gag manga)?

Zuzie posted:

But Kirby's one of the most overpowered video game characters ever.

For a few years now I've kinda held the belief that a lot of the modern Kirby games (Return To Dreamland and beyond) have been a bit samey. Epic Yarn was an interesting a breath of fresh air but I'm baffled by its 3DS version.

It’s Epic Yarn only with Copy Abilities. I didn’t think it was that bad a remake personally but ironically enough I think it’s one of the few 3DS games that could have benefitted from the addition of gyro controls (some of the vehicle sections are kind of awkward to play with the control stick)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 24, 2022

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Larryb posted:

Is the manga any good out of curiosity (and does it have stories or is it more of a gag manga)?

“Kirby Manga Mania” is mostly gags/short stories with a really loose art style. There’s also 4koma comic books of the more recent games with comic strip style jokes

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Lore wise it is my theory that Dedede secretly gets stronger every time he is corrupted/mind controlled/etc. and he is eventually going to surpass all the spherical fighters as the strongest warrior in the galaxy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/R4FMAN/status/1506785877590044672

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

now more than ever stealing the target Orbs is imperative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So do we call the Kirby dance the Kirby Krump? :v:

A couple of interesting things from that dev interview posted earlier:

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1506883854636036098?s=20&t=0izbXn5h9W2hNV3Mx1QLJQ

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1506887122720272388?s=20&t=0izbXn5h9W2hNV3Mx1QLJQ