Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Welcome to a sequel to my attempt to have a forum version of Gnosia! This is very much an experiment and doesn't 100% match up to the actual game. It is meant more of an introduction to the source material than an attempt at a serious setup. Some things might be spoiled mechanically but there will be no story spoilers. If you have knowledge of the source material, please do not spoil the plot in the thread!!!

What is Gnosia?

Gnosia is a combination Visual Novel/Single Player Mafia/Werewolf variant currently available for the Nintendo Switch and Playstation Vita as well as Steam. Yes, you heard that right.

It's a single player mafia game and it honestly does the job really well. The other "players" have believable and unique personalities and it is legitimately fun as hell to play. So I figured, I might as well introduce the game to more people!

Basic information

Days will be 48-72 hours in length. Nights will be around 24 hours. These are flexible based on when I want to be up and doing things.
This is a role madness game is for 15 people.
We’ll be using Discord to manage everything, so please make sure you have access to it for the game. Discord link: https://discord.gg/hq8ug6V
Alignment changes are not part of this game.
No observer slots will be given out before the game is filled. Stop asking.

Special mechanic: Credentials

Each player will have a role. This role will be independent of alignment and is based on the character in the game. This means that your flavor is important and shouldn't necessarily be given out easily. Note that Flips do not include alignment or Credentials! Alignment information of dead players can only be acquired via the Doctor Credentials normally. Just like in the game, you should try to keep said roles alive even if you know one of them is a fakeclaim

But in addition to that, Credentials will be given out to a select number of players. These are essentially power roles on top of your existing role and work independently.

In keeping spirit with the source material, If an Engineer and/or Doctor claims day 1 with no counter claim, they and anyone they check and announce will be mod-confirmed as Human or Gnosia. (Town-Aligned Players may not lie about who they checked for this or the target will not be confirmed) This can be avoided by counter-claiming the Credential in question.

The list of possible Credentials (note that not all may appear in the game, these are copied from the source material):

Engineer: Checks Alignments of Living Players.
Doctor: Checks Alignment of Players in Cold Sleep (i.e. that were voted out).
Guard Duty: If both players with the Credential claim as such, they receive public mod confirmation as Human. If you do not have the credential, publicly claiming does nothing.
Guardian Angel: Prevents their target from dying to the Gnosia Night Kill.
AC Follower: A Traitor Human that wants the Gnosia to win. Gnosia-Aligned, but Cops as Human. Does not have an out-of-game chat with the Gnosia.
Gnosia: The scum equivalent of the game.
Bug: Survivor variant. If alive at endgame, wins in place of the Crew or Gnosia. Cannot be Night Killed, but dies immediately when investigated by an Engineer.

General Mafia Rules (That have been stolen from Natural 20 who stole them from Somberero)

1. Don't be poo poo to each other. This is a game, part of the game is having people react, but if you think you’re reacting badly, walk away, calm down, come back later.
2. If you post fewer than ten times across a game day that comes within 12 hours of finishing with no advance notice (such as RL problems), you will receive a warning. At a second offense, you will be mod killed.
3. Don't edit your posts.
4. Don't talk after you're dead. I'll send you a PM to an Obs doc if you want to chat poo poo.
5. Feel free to post after the hammer/during twilight about non-game stuff.
6. Flavour is flavour, you’re welcome to pursue arguments on it if you want. Additionally whilst I try to retain flavour justification for many abilities, they will not always match expectations.
7. No replacements after D2.
8. Don't directly quote any communication from me, including your role pm. If you have OOT communication with another player, the rule still applies.
9. Don't fake day actions.
10. If you are affected by a Day Action, you may continue posting. You may do your action like normal, even when targeted. Day actions essentially resolve just like night actions whenever possible.

A note about result language

1. A result that successfully targets will yield the result. "You successfully x your target"
2. A result that does not successfully target will yield the result. "Your action fails."
3. If a player name is ever mentioned as part of a result other than those that require it, this is a mod error.
4. A "successful" target is defined as an ability resolving on someone. This does not have to be the intended target, so a redirected result will yield the same language as a result that has not been redirected.
5. Some actions are publicly visible in the thread, some are not. Make sure to check your Role PM!

Lastly:

This is probably going to be a bit unbalanced. In case it wasn't obvious. Be aware of this if you sign up.

Signups:

1. AT-LOW
  2. b-minus1
  3. Deadmeat5150
  4. Ignatius M. Meen (he/him/whatever)
  5. Lotus Aura (they/their/them)
  6. Maerlyn (she/her)
  7. Nep-Nep (She/Her)
  8. NeverHelm
  9. PlasticAutomaton (He/Him/Whatever)
  10. Quackles
  11. Shellception (She/her)
  12. SporkChan
  13. Toalpaz (She/Her & They/Them)
  14. hambeet (he/him) (Replaced by Voodoofly)
  15. Voodoofly (He/Him/Whatever)
  16. Tobbs Gnawed

Graveyard:

Toalpaz, Remnan (Often Ignored) was sent to Cold Sleep Day 1.
Tobbs Gnawed SQ (Playful Charmer) disappeared Night 1.
After much debate, Maerlyn, Sha-Ming (Shameless Survivalist) was sent to Cold Sleep Day 2.
Nep-Nep, Kukrushka (Popular Support) disappeared Night 2.
AT-LOW, Jonas (Chaotic Cowboy) was sent to Cold Sleep Day 3.
Ignatius M. Meen, Otome (Literally a Beluga Whale) disappeared Night 3.
Lotus Aura, Gina (Hidden Talents) was sent to Cold Sleep Day 4.
Shellception, Comet (Intuitive Airhead) disappeared Night 4.
Quackles, Setsu (Looper) was sent to Cold Sleep Day 5.
Nobody disappeared Night 5.

Observers:

Bifauxnen
Sub Rosa

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I've been trusting you up until this point, and that's why I'm deciding to start suspecting you.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Sure, I'll join you for this experiment. I totally don't have any ulterior motives for joining this group, I swear

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I can't not sign up for the sequel to the game that brought me into this joint.

....may end up regretting it when I'm playing both this and All-Stars though. OH WELL :shrug:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I can't not sign up for the sequel to the game that brought me into this joint.

....may end up regretting it when I'm playing both this and All-Stars though. OH WELL :shrug:

I might burn myself out but yes.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I was gonna take a break but I need to be in a gnosia themed game, sign me up please

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Observer

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Yami Fenrir posted:

No observer slots will be given out before the game is filled. Stop asking.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I will never stop

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
......Yeah, okay. I'm in.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!
Demon Summoning Program, execute!

Let's ice some scum, shall we?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I’ll pkay

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Didn't play the first one so will probably gently caress up somehow but I'm in.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

b-minus1 posted:

I’ll pkay

Aight, sign me up too :).

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Hey

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

holy shiiiiiiit sign me up, please.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i am interested, just concerned about starting date

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

hambeet posted:

i am interested, just concerned about starting date

Starting date is whenever it fills.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Starting date is of no concern, was just curious.

Excited for another yami game.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Presign for Gnosia loop 117

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Like, Gnosi-nya. :3:

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!
Demon Summoning Program, execute!

Quackles posted:

Like, Gnosi-nya. :3:

Down, Chipie! You'll scare away the other applicants!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Ok fine I'm down

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
*Looking at player list*

Dammit somebody should bug Yami to play!

Oh wait

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
Boy glad I caught up with the NFT thread and someone linked this, was watching the New Games thread and there was no activity.

I'm in for my first mafia game! ...on these boards at least.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

SporkChan posted:

Boy glad I caught up with the NFT thread and someone linked this, was watching the New Games thread and there was no activity.

I'm in for my first mafia game! ...on these boards at least.

Yay a newbie (for us!)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

:siren: Sirens flare just as you were about to sit down for lunch. :siren:

Gnosia have been detected on Board. I repeat, Gnosia have been detected on board. Initiate Anti-Gnosia Protocols.

---

Day 1 begins.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Time to get this out of the way.

##claim guard duty

Gotta happen D1 because if sporkchan or I die N1 the other can't claim it later.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
There's probably a guardian angel so scum will have to WIFOM missing a kill due to protection. Hopefully we stay alive a little while.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

##claim guard duty

Gotta happen D1 because if sporkchan or I die N1 the other can't claim it later.

Oh, thank goodness.

I'm not claiming anything, or rather, I don't have anything to claim. This is not a sanctioned Gnosia move but I'm gonna reduce the pool of potential claimers.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Hahahahaha you will need to find a new tunnel target.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
All right, time to get this party started. Let's hope we don't get another Guard Duty debacle.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

There's probably a guardian angel so scum will have to WIFOM missing a kill due to protection. Hopefully we stay alive a little while.

We don't know that for sure. In fact, it's almost impossible to verify if one exists, as far as I know. I hope there is one though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Oh, started just in time for when I finished work. Pretty convenient that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

NeverHelm posted:

We don't know that for sure. In fact, it's almost impossible to verify if one exists, as far as I know. I hope there is one though.

Unless Yami's changed it, scum can't withhold NK here. If no-one dies in any given night, that's confirmation. If one person dies and they were copped by an Engi the same night with a town result, that suggests it but doesn't outright confirm it.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

##claim guard duty

Yeah. No point waiting on this one. Also removes the pool of people to get targeted by Engineers. Gotta start that bug-hunt.

##claim guard duty

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

SporkChan and Tobbs Gnawed have been confirmed as Guard Duty.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Hahahahaha you will need to find a new tunnel target.

And you will be free to be as scummy as you'd like, win-win!

(real winners are the players who won't need to read a zillon posts of me being an rear end to Todd)

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Lotus Aura posted:

Unless Yami's changed it, scum can't withhold NK here. If no-one dies in any given night, that's confirmation. If one person dies and they were copped by an Engi the same night with a town result, that suggests it but doesn't outright confirm it.

It doesn't confirm it, since the Gnosia could have aimed at the Bug, which is immune to the nightkill.

Also,

Yami Fenrir posted:

SporkChan and Tobbs Gnawed have been confirmed as Guard Duty.

Nice, those two can be trusted then.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

Shellception posted:

And you will be free to be as scummy as you'd like, win-win!

(real winners are the players who won't need to read a zillon posts of me being an rear end to Todd)

Why would you let a human confirmation stop you? Just cut it down to a few dozen posts and you're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I won't let mod-confirmed town stop me from doing a dumb turbo.

##vote: Tobbs

Also hi to my favorite mason buddy Bif, been a while since we've played together.