Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

covid is over, close thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Excited to post through the final wave of COVID-19.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Real Mean Queen posted:

I bet things are gonna be pretty bad by the time we get another five thousand pages into this one

Won't reach 5,000 because we'll all be dead.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Platystemon posted:

It would take a hearty bean‐fueled dump all over the average KN95.

There’s nothing preventing KN95s from being good, it’s just that there’s also nothing stopping them from being bad and :capitalism:.

what about an N95 without a valve vs. with a valve? for example this one vs. the Aura with no valve. i typically see the auras without valves being recommended

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m calling it “Platystemon’s Purifying Prism” because that makes it sound like a D&D artefact and also so that I can use the word “prism” throughout the build instructions.

Its flow rate is comparable to box fans on low, through the same MERV 13 filters, but much quieter, with about half the footprint and a fraction of the electricity use. Downsides are that these fans cost fifteen or twenty dollars more, they can’t be turned up to hurricane speeds, and the prism takes longer to construct.

The project started when I saw @robwiss and @Mw_ottawa experimenting with computer fans for DIY air purifiers. They’ve been using IKEA Starkvind and type-R HEPA media.

Four of those filters cost at least sixty dollars, so before committing, I ordered the fans to see how loud they were and how much air they moved.

I made a mockup out of MERV 13 filters I already had, and it worked out so well that rather than following a Starkvind/HEPA build, I refined mine. Those other filters have advantages, but they also add at least fifty percent to the materials cost and require building support frames. Besides, I get some of the performance back by taking advantage of the fifth fan and through having less restrictive filter media and more of it.

My estimate of of clean air delivery rate is one hundred and sixty cubic feet per minute, based on Rob Wiss’s performance with the same model of fans with more restrictive filter media, plus twenty‐five percent for my fifth fan, then all halved for worst‐case performance of MERV 13 filters on fine particles. This yields 6 eACH in a room with eight‐foot ceilings that is fourteen feet square.

Materials
  • Five pack of Arctic P14 PWM PST fans. Must be PWM PST.
  • 12 V power supply and appropriate connection for PC fans. There are purpose‐built supplies that come with the proper connector on the end, but you could instead use a 2.1mm barrel plug adapter and gain flexibility to run it off a battery.
  • (Optional) Noctua NA-FC1 fan controller.
  • Cardboard, two squares approximately 420×420 mm
  • Tape. Painter’s tape is plenty strong enough and comes off cleanly. Two inches wide (50 mm) is good. Gaffer tape is also a strong choice.
  • 2 furnace filters, MERV 13 or better, thirty inches long, one inch thick, any width. More on those below.
  • (Optional) Contact paper
  • (Optional) Fan grills, especially if you have curious pets or kids
  • (Optional) 20 washers, internal diameter 5 mm or 7⁄32″. 3⁄16″ would probably also fit.
  • (Optional) Prefilter

Amazon is overcharging for the fans now. Arctic’s store on eBay has them for ten dollars less.

Total cost is under one hundred dollars.

For the filters, their width determines the height of the purifier. I used 20×30 because it was same price as smaller sizes, but P14 fans can handle the greater resistance of smaller filters. Pleats parallel to the short axis is ideal, but you can make the others work. Cardboard frames will be easiest to work with. They must be thirty inches long, because we’re going going to fold them down the middle to make two sides of the prism with one filter.

If you want the fans running full blast at all times, you can skip the controller. Even at full power, five of these fans is much quieter than a box fan on low, so it’s a reasonable choice.

You could then use cheaper P14 fans with no PWM control, except that the cheaper model lacks the connectors for chaining. You’d have to buy a separate splitter or two and that almost brings them up to the same price. Just get the PWM PST model even if you don’t initially buy the speed controller.

Tools
  • Pencil
  • Knife. Boxcutter works fine. X-Acto style makes cutting circles easier.
  • № 2 Philips screwdriver
  • Ruler
  • Needle, skewer, ice pick, or some other straight implement with a diameter of less than 4.5 mm that is sharpish. We’re just poking holes in cardboard.
  • (Optional) Drawing compass. Failing that, a piece of string helps.
  • (Optional) Tape measure or metre/yard stick

Start with some cardboard. The stuff I used is dual‐layer corrugated and about five millimetres thick. A quarter of an inch would be good. Most shipping box cardboard is fine, it just wouldn’t be ideal to lay out and cut all the holes and only then find that it doesn’t hold up. You only need good cardboard for the top of the prism with the fans. The bottom of the prism can be almost anything.

Measure the thickness of your filter’s frames. The cardboard square you cut will be this width, times two, plus three hundred and eighty millimetres. In my case, this works out to be 420 mm.

If you are using different sorts of filters, .e.g. four filters each sixteen inches wide, use the dimensions of the box they make instead. You’ll just have a larger prism and an empty margin between the fans and the filters.

Why 380? We’re fitting the fans in like below. The size of the bounding box is (2 + √2∕2) × the side length of the internal squares, here our 140 mm fans.

Mark out a square of the dimensions you calculated on the cardboard. Draw lines between opposing corners. Verify that the lengths of the diagonals match so that the piece is square.

You can cut it out now if you want. I’m going to continue to draw on it.

The diameter of the fan is about 133 mm, so use your compass to mark a circle of radius 66 mm in the center of the square of cardboard. As seen in the photo below, I rounded up, but if I were doing it again, I would round down.

If you don’t have a compass, you can poke a hole in the center, feed a loop of string through the hole from the bottom of the cardboard, and knot or tape the string on far side, so that when you put the tip of a pencil in the loop and pull it tight, it’s at the correct radius. If you don‘t have a compass to trivialize the drawing of circles, you may want to mark the circles on the other side of the cardboard, the exterior, because marking that side will help you make cleaner cuts.

Mark the centers of the four other fans. This works out to be 169 mm from the center of the cardboard, along the diagonal.

Why? The fans are 140 mm squares, so from the center to the middle of the edge of the central fan is 70 mm, and from the corner of the other fans to their own centres is √2∕2 × 140 mm ≈ 99 mm. I rounded up, and we’ll get a little leeway from the bevelled corners.

Finish drawing all the circles.

Now we need to establish the positions of the four corner fans. The distance from the center of each fan to the corner of its housing is about 99 mm. Measure along the marked diagonals and make a mark 99 mm from each fan center. Compass is fastest if you have one; otherwise use a ruler. Don’t try to mark corners for the central fan yet.

Place a fan down and align its corners with the diagonal. Because the corners of the fan housings are beveled but we marked the distance as if they were sharp, there will be a small gap between the marks and the housing. Center the fan so that this gap is equal at both corners.

Holding the fan down with one hand, trace around it with the pencil. Poke through the cardboard at each mounting hole. I used a bamboo skewer for this. Just barely get it through, then come in from the other side to finish. This will make a cleaner hole that is easier to get the screws in later. Don’t make the holes overly large or the heads of the screws will pull through.

Repeat for each fan. For the central fan, turn it forty‐five degrees to the others and center it between the outlines of the others.

This is the point where I cut out the whole square and applied contact paper to the unmarked side of it. Taping a straightedge down helps make clean cuts.

It’s time to cut out the circles. To do this cleanly, I poked holes through the fan centers, then used the compass to draw circles again, this time on the side with the contact paper, so that I could plunge the knife in from that side.

It helps to cut the circles in two passes rather than trying to force the knife through the whole depth. Also at this stage, I poked holes through the contact paper for the screws.

Mount the fans. I would recommend orienting them all so that the wire exits the fan’s housing near a common center of the whole assembly so that you have maximum slack to work with. I tried to get clever with turning the fan housings to take up excess wire, and it just made more work for me.

Use the skewer or similar tool to hold the fan in place on one corner while you put a screw in the corner opposite. This is where you would use the optional washers.

The fans will hang inside the prism, blowing out.

A word on wiring: I ended up using the splitter and the extension cord from the Noctua NA-FC1, though they’re not strictly necessary. The fans each have one plug and one socket to chain them together.

The fan controller has a socket that receives the plug of the extension cord. The extension cord’s socket accepts the single plug from the splitter. The three sockets of the splitter go to two chains of two fans and to a one lone fan (central, obviously, for symmetry).

All the fans can make one unbranched chain, but I wanted the extra length to relocate the controller halfway down the side of the prism.

In the photo below, you can see the splitter at the bottom. The extension cord is squeezed between the fan and the filter frame. More on that later.

Set the fans and cardboard aside and start work on the filters. Measure and find the midpoint of the filters. Identify which face has a pleat “valley” at the midpoint. Cut the frame and supporting lattice all along that face, continuing around the short sides of the frame. Leave the other face intact and do not cut the filter media.

The “air direction” marking, if present, doesn’t matter; these filters will never be subjected to pressures that could collapse them.

Do the same to the other filter.

Bend the filter back on itself ninety degrees at the cut area.

Tape the two filters together at one end, with the bends both curling inward. You may need to lift and replace this tape in a moment to get more slack if your filters are a little too short or your fans are a little too widely spaced. For me, they were a perfect fit.

The little box in the center is the box that the five pack of fans comes in. Theoretically, its presence as a baffle reduces noise by breaking up the turbulent airflow from all the fans spinning in the same direction. All you have to do is cut off the flaps at the top and bottom and slide it onto the center fan, taping down if necessary.

Make sure that any wires along the outside edges are in place and that the plug to the controller exit the corner you want it to. It’s easier to slip it through one of the bent filter media corners, but I ran it out one of the corners where the frame edges meet because I wanted to mount the controller to the cardboard there.

Complete the encirclement and tape together the other edge. If the fit is tight, a temporary strip of tape or two may be needed to hold things together while you put the finishing tape on.

Tape the cardboard holding the fans onto the filter frames, or, if you used contact paper like I did, fold it over and stick it to the frames.

Turn the assembly upright and trace its outline onto a piece of cardboard. Cut this out to get the bottom face of the prism.

Turn the prism upside down and tape on its final face.

I ran the extension cord out at a cardboard frame edge and positioned the controller about halfway down it. I should have taken more photos of this part, but I didn’t know that it would be the final configuration. I cut a strip of cardboard 1.4× the width of my filter frames to cover the cord and bevel the edge of the prism. I split the strip, one piece above the controller and the other is below. They’re under black tape in this photo. The controller is held on with more tape.

Cover anything you want with contact paper or decorative duct tape, perhaps add a handle, and you’re done.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 03:27 on May 29, 2022

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I predict that I will be infected with the roni before this thread is closed

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Page BA.2

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Glad to see not-a-medical-Dr. John Cancelled purged from the OP for his many vlogging crimes. :rip: stuffed dog.

Anything of note in the last 2,000 posts, besides the U.S. milestone? Totally burnt out from too many concurrent megacrises and family illness, couldn't keep up even if I wanted to.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
We did it everyone, Covid is over!

Hmmm what's this email from my company...

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Posting on the ground floor of the day COVID was over’d

:patriot:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Not a very good OP (nothing personal) so if anybody has any COVID questions they need answered I'm available generally

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1373408809671143428/pu/vid/720x896/Mlo1EUEt33kb2Vuo.mp4

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
post covid life is amazing. I'm elated.

thank you everyone, for defeating covid

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 14:35 on Mar 4, 2023

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SplitSoul posted:

Glad to see not-a-medical-Dr. John Cancelled purged from the OP for his many vlogging crimes. :rip: stuffed dog.

Anything of note in the last 2,000 posts, besides the U.S. milestone? Totally burnt out from too many concurrent megacrises and family illness, couldn't keep up even if I wanted to.

Obama, Hillary, Psaki, and maybe Clarence Thomas have covid.

New York lifted the vaccine mandate for athletes after the owner of the Mets paid the mayor $1.5 million.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

covid is over, ops op is an op

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 14:35 on Mar 4, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

actionjackson posted:

what about an N95 without a valve vs. with a valve? for example this one vs. the Aura with no valve

The valve doesn’t lower the protection to the wearer.

It does lower the efficacy for source control, i.e. preventing an infected wearer from spreading the virus, but not to the point where valved respirators are worse than cloth or surgical masks.

I personally don’t love valved N95s because they don’t do much to increase my comfort and they make seal checks harder, but the Aura series fits me so that’s not a dealbreaker.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Its ok to go outside

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Getting in on the ground floor to say that my posting in this thread does not constitute endorsement of other poster's activities or behavior around animals.

Besides, why do we need a new thread if covid is over?

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Real Mean Queen posted:

I bet things are gonna be pretty bad by the time we get another five thousand pages into this one

with them running out of money - we're probably going to be divining things from entrails soon. might make us post more, reach 5k early.

Also:

Shifty Nipples posted:

That's a good op op

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

SplitSoul posted:

BA.2 is about to loving smash America like a tsnumani wave rushing in but at this point we're punch-drunk.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

NeonPunk posted:

Hillary Clinton has Covid lmao

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

DesertIslandHermit posted:

BA.2 is about to loving smash America like a tsnumani wave rushing in but at this point we're punch-drunk.

we deserve it

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

goochtit posted:

covid is over

all over!

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeHm-tp_E0c

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Wtf I can't believe the mods closed this thread but did nothing about the Greenwald nazi nest.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Asproigerosis posted:

Wtf I can't believe the mods closed this thread but did nothing about the Greenwald nazi nest.

Other COVID thread closed from being too good. Maybe that says a lot of the GG thread.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

lmao

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Terminal autist posted:

Its ok to go outside

id like to know more

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
hell yes, we beat COVID and everything is definitely in the rear view mirror now. thank u mr presodent

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cloks posted:

Getting in on the ground floor to say that my posting in this thread does not constitute endorsement of other poster's activities or behavior around animals.

Besides, why do we need a new thread if covid is over?

~7500 Americans died 3/15 - 3/22 from the disease that is over.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

You close that and they'll fester elsewhere. Are you sure you want that?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Louisgod posted:

it's the applebees theme you idiot

i've brought shame on to my family

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
1mm dead! WE DID IT.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

COVID’s over

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

covid is putting a lot of selection pressure on the human species rn

believing garbage you read online is finally becoming an evolutionary disadvantage

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
lets get to 2m by fall

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

mags posted:

lets get to 2m by fall

first successful goon project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

tenderjerk posted:

You close that and they'll fester elsewhere. Are you sure you want that?

At least just move that disgusting hive of libs to dnd where it belongs.