Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

quote:

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Should have called it Scorpion because it has a habit of tearing into peoples' ribcages

"Get over, hear?"

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Greg Legg posted:

There's that one the army is developing that is supposed to do this. It's going to be a few years though.

Unfortunately, it's not. There's nothing about the Army one that makes it sterilizing, or any more effective than the ones already on the market against any particular strain. The distinguishing factor for it is that it has the ability to express a whole bunch of different covid spikes simultaneously, which would potentially allow it to induce a broad spectrum of immune response against multiple variants.

It doesn't address the rapid waning of the immune response or the fact that vaccination doesn't result in sterilizing protection.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Whoolighams posted:

Kinda getting to the point where if nothing is going to get better, why not give up and go about things like normal tbh

Things might at some point get better if we get another medical miracle (mRNA vaccines already being one medical miracle). A vaccine that provides lifelong protection, or at least protection measured in years rather than months, that would qualify. Some kind of prophylactic drug that was readily available and safe to take on a chronic basis, that would also work.

But if you're waiting for that, be prepared to wait for years, with no guarantee your savior will ever arrive. Those things may never happen.

The option I'm going with is to adapt my life and live as best I can while maintaining protection against covid. I am not a bunker hermit - I work in person, I visit friends and family, I go to the gym, I do in-person shopping, all that kind of thing. But I wear a P100 rated respirator religiously. It does not come off when I'm sharing air with people, period. I have not breathed one single breath of unfiltered shared air in about four months, not since Thanksgiving.

Barring a miracle as I described above, I'll never swim again, or eat inside a restaurant, or drink water when I'm in the gym or at my workplace. With these restrictions in mind, I live my life. You will stand out. You have to be okay with that. The only alternatives are to bunker down indefinitely or to risk catching covid.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

Gives people time to customize their respirators into cyberpunk perma-helms that make boomers mad

Someone give me a link to a place where I can buy little LEDs and I'll mount them to the back of my Secureclick hardshell filters. Give my ears some underbody lighting.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

Didn’t someone poo poo all over me for pointing this out last week?

You got justifiably poo poo on for presenting the data in the most incomprehensible way imaginable.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

gonna be honest my rat horde with at best 65% sensitivity feels worse than useless and I am a bit upset they exist at all. Just device that tricks people into thinking they don't have covid

I'd never pay money for a rapid test. I got the free ones because, why not, and so far I've given out one to a friend and the rest are sitting on a shelf. I expect eventually I'll give the rest out to friends who are concerned they've been infected.

Of all the things to hoard, and I'm hoarding a lot of things, rapid tests are not on the list.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Also it is a matter of time until the elites realize that oops, paxlovid only shields against death and may not actually do anything about brain damage or other long covid.

This is a giant "maybe." There's literally no evidence to suggest anything either way that I've seen. Paxlovid may in fact be the magic bullet that will keep the elites free of all consequences forever. Or it may not.

If you have read anything about paxlovid and outcomes other than serious illness and death, I'd like to see them.

Kylaer has issued a correction as of 14:40 on Mar 26, 2022

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Stoop Kid posted:

what else do you hoard

:freep: Yes, let me just list everything on a public forum. Shelf-stable goods and durable goods that are either essential or highly useful and vulnerable to supply chain disruptions. Most recently I bought a rowing machine, just got that assembled today.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

2. Paxlovid being able to prevent long COVID would be wonderful news. We can't have good news.

It prevents long covid and you can't have any :nsa:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

CPU Abuser posted:

It's killing 1500 Americans every freaking day, at the bottom of the trough between two waves.

:wrong:

BNO's 7-day average death count stood at 826 as of yesterday's report. Covid is bad enough as is, you don't need to get hyperbolic and claim it's something it isn't. Per OurWorldInData, the U.S. dropped below 1500 daily deaths on March 4th and hasn't been above it since.

BA1 also did not result in a single true daily 9/11 as measured by the 7-day average. The individual day reports did show some, but they're so skewed by unequal state reporting and backlogs as to be worthless, the average is the only thing worth looking at. Per OurWorldInData, the high water mark for BA1 was 2595, set on February 10th. Well below the record of 3402 set on Jan 13th of 2021.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

Quoting for the next wave followed by a summer long hump burn, like last year.

That's entirely possible. Mid/late summer would be about the time I'd expect the people who got BA1 to have lost significant amounts of their immune memory and be prime targets for another death wave to come scything through. Maybe BA2 will prove sufficiently able to evade BA1 immune response that we'll get a big wave sooner than that, but I'd guess no later than August for another big wave.

Louisgod posted:

rude, perhaps you should let them continue to gaslight people into thinking others dying is fine and good and normalizing 800 to 1,000 daily deaths in the name of Actually, You Need To Stop Being Afraid is fine too. stop being afraid, live your life, blue lives matter,

A fine strawman. I haven't shared unfiltered air with anyone in four months, and I will continue doing so indefinitely, because the potential consequences of catching covid are worrying. That doesn't mean I'm not going to call someone out for claiming a statistic that is simply false.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

BNO's numbers are only as accurate as the states that report.

Right, and that's why the 7-day average is the only thing worth looking at. Weekend backlogs have been a thing from the very beginning.

ram dass in hell posted:

hey aids-brain you do realize that literally every single case count and death count number gets magically "adjusted" upward weeks later because that way they can avoid scaring people because nobody pays attention to the updates right

Thanks for using AIDS as an insult, that's great.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Louisgod posted:

yes because as you know, the death stats being released definitely don’t get undercounted, reflect all 50 states reporting and are never retroactively increased once data is released later.

are you new to this or something

If you're going to take the position that none of the data can be trusted, then just make up whatever numbers you want I guess. I'm working from what is available, CPU Abuser was pulling numbers out of thin air. Maybe we're still having daily 9/11s right now and it's all being covered up, why not claim that :tinfoil:

mawarannahr posted:

nice. concept2 ?

It's the one from Costco, I haven't really put it to use yet. Too busy arguing on the internet.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Louisgod posted:

those 826 average people who died across the last week? Huge pussies, absolute pieces of poo poo. just garbage. imo they deserved to die for not being on board with open biden, and tens of thousands of people still popping positive a day? it’s good.

Keep bashing that strawman, you're really tearing it apart. Strong work.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Platystemon posted:

This is a weird claim because to meet that a day would have to place a mere fifteen percent higher than that average.

That would be pretty easy to do from a combination of the overall trend plus noise, not to mention undercounting. We’ll never know, but it very likely happened.

Quite possibly, but the stats don't show it, and they do show it as definitely happening last year. There was undercounting last year too, that's indisputable. Is it exactly the same degree of undercounting? Now we're getting into tea-leaf reading and I'm not going to go there.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

They aren't talking about weekend backlogs. Half the states date your death back to the day you tested positive which ensure that recent numbers always show a huge improvement while number from 3-4 weeks back keep increasing day after day.

example:

"Florida changed its COVID-19 data, creating an ‘artificial decline’ in recent deaths"
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article253796898.html

I remember this being discussed before and I'm almost certain that BNO records deaths on the day they are reported and does not backdate them. So regardless of whether a death actually happened yesterday or two weeks ago, if it gets reported today BNO will record it as a death from today. Other trackers (Worldometer, I'm pretty sure; don't know about OWID) do backdate them, which means their most current numbers diverge from BNO. That's why I like looking at BNO for the "now" data and other sources for past data. The area under the curve should be identical for both but the exact shape of the curve will differ a bit.

If I'm wrong about this, welp :rolleye:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

Kylaer,

Per BNO's own reporting,

We hit a 9/11 of deaths on 22 of the last 94 days.

As I have said many times, I only pay attention to the 7-day average. The daily number is so skewed by uneven reporting as to be useless. The 7-day average has not reached 9/11 levels since last year by any tracker you look at. Not OWID, not Worldometer, not Newsnodes (which is BNO's).

If you take the daily numbers at face value you would also have to believe that death doesn't work on the weekend, which I assure you is not true.

Louisgod posted:

What exactly are you trying to prove here? Taking you seriously for a moment, do you think COVID is in retreat and that we're on track for a return to "normal"? What irks me about chatter like this is that even in what's seen as an odd lull we're still witnessing well over 800 people dying a day, and posters like you come out of the woodwork to try and normalize this number and push back when others point out these stats are more than likely being undercounted (which has been proven to be the case many times in the past). Even taking death out of the equation, we're still seeing tens of thousands of people infected daily (BNO has the average as 28k), which will absolutely have long-term effects on our healthcare system given how numerous reinfections can lead, months later, to more serious complications. Couple those complications with surges and we're right back to overwhelmed hospitals and thousands dead.

Is it okay to be cautiously optimistic? Sure, but to outright deny the very real deaths by trying to mitigate the seriousness of over 800 dead daily while in what's seen as a lull? Pretty hosed up. If Europe is any indication as to what the future will look like in the US (and it's been pretty drat accurate so far), we're in for a wild ride in a month or two. Will you be happy when we inevitably see 9/11 numbers again?

I just want people to look at the statistics instead of making them up. No, I do not think we are on track for a return to "normal" as defined by the pre-pandemic definition. The world we knew in 2019 is gone and will never return barring another medical miracle such as an actual sterilizing vaccine. And I've been posting since omicron started, after lurking literally since March 2020, I'm not a fair-weather poster who only shows up during case lulls. I'm not normalizing the current levels of deaths, except insofar as covid being a top-three cause of death nationwide is the new normal, which it is. I'm not minimizing the deaths. I'm not being optimistic. You're still fixated on the strawman. Nothing I've said has in any way implied that covid is ending.

I think you've confused me with MadJackal. We are not the same. We don't even have the same fridge.

Kylaer has issued a correction as of 16:42 on Mar 26, 2022

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

I think you may be wrong

Worldometer is showing 11,145 deaths since March 12th
BNO is showing 14,802.

They had the same death number on March 15th, but they wildly diverge on other days.

Those numbers would make sense if BNO is not backdated and Worldometer is. Those 3657 divergent deaths presumably happened before the 12th but were reported after the 12th, so Worldometer backdated them (and thus they don't appear in the past two weeks of data).

You could contact BNO and ask, I suppose, I know you've spoken with them in the past.

If Worldometer isn't backdated then I have no explanation.

Kylaer has issued a correction as of 17:03 on Mar 26, 2022

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Louisgod posted:

So, yeah, that's all.. it just seems weird to get caught up on the difference between 826 vs. 1,200 or whatever when 9 states aren't reporting statistics and those that do are likely undercounting.

The claimed number was 1500. That's a pretty significant difference from 826, at least in my eyes. If the claim had been 1,000 then, sure, whatever, a couple hundred being swept under the rug is completely believable.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Tulip posted:

Kylaer just cares about the sanctity of numbers. Some people are like that. TBH sometimes I get like that but mostly about labor stats and mostly because people frequently use misleading or flat out wrong stuff from labor stats to push politics I find objectionable.

I mean I get that sometimes its fun to argue with people about this poo poo but mostly it's best to just go "alright, cool." I sure as gently caress don't have any special insight into the COVID stats, I'll say "yeah we're having bout a 9/11 a day during the peak of omicron" but I'll openly acknowledge that it's a fuzzy number and I'm rounding and if somebody wants to nitpick it I don't have the will or expertise to fight them on it.

It's not just numbers for their own sake. A lot of people put their trust in this thread to bring them information that can help protect their lives. If we allow a "thread canon" to develop that diverges wildly from the real world, we are not serving that purpose. We have to stay grounded in reality in order to accomplish anything of value.

Some people are just here to shitpost, that's okay too, not every post has to be full of concrete information. But when something is presented as concrete information, it needs to be as accurate as we can manage under the circumstances.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Platystemon posted:

:yeah:

Which why I had to set the record straight on ærosol penetration of respirators last month.

Right, and as a result I now say ~0% instead of 0% :hmmrona:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

i really don't understand your red text at all

someone thinks respirators are dangerous?

how did they feel about wannabe hardcore punk kids who wore gas masks through their x86 asm classes in community college? I ask cuz I was one of them

Somebody apparently got big mad because I advocate wearing an elastomeric respirator and, while wearing it, engaging in the activities that you enjoy that can be done without taking it off. Visiting family and friends, in-person shopping, exercising in the gym, going to museums, all of these things can be done with negligible risk as long as you're wearing a P100 elastomeric respirator and don't ever take it off.

Yes, you'll stick out. Yes, it's a hassle. Yes, there are activities that you simply cannot do any more, such as swimming. No, it's not as good as living 2019-style was. But it's safe, and it's effective, and for me it's far preferable to avoiding all social contact, especially since my job is explicitly hands-on work, and sometimes that hands-on work consists of intubating dying covid patients.

Whoever bought me this went beyond "Only trust your respirator" to "Don't even trust your respirator," which is unfortunate for them.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

It'll go together just a touch easier if you overlap one corner of each filter instead of two corners. Like a spiral sort of. Here's someone else's picture, I did not take this:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

mdemone posted:

well it ain't the prettiest thing I ever built but it works like gangbusters and it took me less than an hour to build, total cost $80

Enough duct tape solves many ills :blessed:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RajlabN/status/1507751923151216658

I'm getting a bit overwhelmed just keeping track of which is which.

Good thing we're dropping all cautions and letting it spread and replicate to their hearts consent!

S-Scorpio? Is that you?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Thoguh posted:

I’d be interested to know what percentage of people still give a gently caress about COVID. I know we joke about only posters ITT care but there’s a bunch of huge Facebook groups out there that make this thread look fairly open Biden and also a bunch of still cautious people on twitter so it’s gotta be at least 5-10% of people if not a little more.

I think you'd have to split it down into several categories. Like, some people don't dine in at restaurants and might wear a low-quality mask to go shopping, but don't hesitate to eat lunch in their workplace break room or invite friends over to their home without any precautions. These people care at least somewhat, and take some measures to reduce their highest-risk activities, but aren't seriously warding themselves against covid. I'm sure the partial-measures group vastly outnumbers the people who are consistently taking solid defensive measures.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Fenarisk posted:

Maybe I haven't crack pinged hard enough, but there's some glimmer of hope on the effects of BA.2 in my mind, as the two largest hospitals serving the area I work (a real big area north of Chicago/Cook County) have a grand total of 3 covid positive patients and that's it, compared to triple digits during the omicron peak. I guess we'll see in 4-6 weeks.

It's possible that BA2 hits like an aftershock, causing a lower peak in the U.S. than BA1. It's all a question of how quickly BA1 immune memory wanes and how much immune response crossover there is between BA2 and BA1. Unfortunately I haven't seen anything in terms of solid data about either of these factors. As you said, there's nothing to do but wait and continue to take protective measures. My pure wild guess is that the U.S. will be primed for another death wave midyear or so, certainly by August, but if BA2 really does escape BA1 immunity then that could happen much sooner.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Given what we know about how long COVID can linger in various parts of the body - even in corpses - could it be that wastewater has become a lagging rather than leading indicator? Like the COVID in the poop we are seeing is just because Omicron likes to live in the gut more than prior variants did?

I'm legitimately asking as someone ignorant of why this could or could not be the case. It just seems from what I'm gathering here that from what we've seen WRT wastewater in prior waves, that seems should be popping off more than they are now even given the CDC's deliberate ofuscation of the data.

I wouldn't suspect wastewater becoming a lagging indicator versus a leading one, but I do think it's completely plausible that different strains result in different amounts of GI tract viral shed, so that the absolute amount of virus in wastewater does not correlate to the number of cases in any consistent way. So an uptick in wastewater testing would still warn of a rising wave, but you can't determine anything about the size of the wave just by looking at the wastewater numbers.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

nigel thornberry posted:

my 90 year old obese Italian grandma was euthanized via morphine in a hospital in New Jersey in March 2020 because they weren’t putting ppl like that on ventilators at the time. my boomer aunt gave it to her while visiting

sometimes I think about what her last moments must have been like but for the most part I force myself to not think about it.

Sorry about your grandmother, but if it is any consolation, I can assure you she wouldn't have suffered. Getting euthanized with morphine is probably one of the most pleasant ways to go, honestly. In layman's terms, you get incredibly high and forget to breathe. She would not have spent her last moments gasping and struggling for air.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Rutibex posted:

how could anyone know what it's like to be euthanized

Lots of people know what it's like to experience a near-fatal opioid overdose. It's no different with morphine than heroin or fentanyl.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Why Am I So Tired posted:

That's good to know that they eventually caved, maybe I can make this work. Realizing now I should use the same approach that we use for getting prescriptions delivered without a signature (telling them we actively have COVID).

You really are another AceOfFlames. Or else a very dedicated troll.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

I'm not understanding what your problem with their post is

They've been coming to this thread asking for reassurance, encouragement, and advice for ages, and it's never enough. They're just as terrified as they were day one. They will never trust their respirator. Not even to step outside their own front door and sign for a package. And yet they keep complaining about it. If they said, okay, my life consists of the inside of my apartment now and I will never leave, so be it, that's their choice to make. But to keep bringing it up and asking for help and then ignoring it is wasting everyone's time. I replied sincerely to them multiple times in the past, encouraging them, and my time was wasted. I accomplished nothing, for me or for them. I will not waste any more time on them.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Someone please photoshop Smaug wearing a respirator on top of a pile of RATs and disposable n95s tia

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

What does this measure

It's a caliper. For skulls. :hmmyes:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Griz posted:

the army is working on one that's supposed to be effective against all variants, it's still in trials

Unfortunately this has some caveats. They're developing a vaccine that consists of a carrier molecule that can hold up to 24 different spike proteins which theoretically allows you to immunize someone against 24 strains of covid with a single injection. It's interesting and potentially quite useful. The problem is that you still have to know what the spike is shaped like in order to build it onto the carrier molecule, so you're limited to building spikes based on viruses that already exist; building a vaccine that carries the spikes of original covid, alpha, beta, and delta still plausibly leaves you vulnerable to omicron coming through with an immune-evasive new spike configuration.

You could have lab scientists try to predict new configurations of the covid spike that don't exist yet and stick them on the molecule, but that's really getting into the unknown.

This also doesn't seem to have any impact on the bigger problem with covid vaccination, which is the waning of immune memory over a relatively short span of time.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

dew worm posted:

what variant/wave is this now?

Honestly it doesn’t seem to have ever slowed in NY from the omicron wave starting in Christmas.

Nationally it's the sixth wave, or maybe seventh.

First wave in March/April '20, second wave was mostly in July '20, third was the '20-'21 winter wave, fourth was the late summer '21 delta wave, fifth was the first omicron wave, and the current is the omicron successor variant wave.

There's that little blip in April of '21 that you might call the fourth case wave, but it doesn't really have its own distinct death wave, the deaths it caused get masked in the tail of the massive winter death wave.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

is howling with uncontrollable crazed laughter a covid symptom, or a monkeypox symptom?

:thunk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howler_monkey

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

a.lo posted:

heard only gay guys are getting this? what’s up wit that?

I would very strongly suspect that it's just a founder-effect thing and the very small number of total cases (so far) makes it look bigger. Patient zero arrives in town and goes to a gay bar, first wave of infections are people who were at that bar - give it a few infectious generations to ripple out into the community and that association will likely vanish. If patient zero had gone to a gym instead, the first wave of infections would have been acquired at the gym, but that doesn't mean most cases will be gym-acquired once it starts spreading in the community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007