Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

deaths of "potentially thousands" of people. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Yeah, it really is. The pandemic has really been eye opening about who can be trusted, it's down to exactly two people: my wife, and her one friend who lives across the country who I've never even met. She's even more openly furious / disgusted about the situation than most of the thread, I should probably buy her an account.

Buy her the account. Gotta load up on the fire and brimstone for the next surge.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I've said it before in the last thread, but my last pre-covid theater film (and possibly last theater film ever?) was Color Out of Space and holy poo poo if that wasn't the perfect tonal prelude to what's happened for the last two years.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

[COVID]: Tragedy of the Commons Cold

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

havin' a nice sit in the back yard with my birds.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

That actually started to happen in a noticeable fashion last January and people just blamed it on Biden and lazy people not wanting to work. Never bet against people doubling down.

In fairness, it is true that the biden administration and congress-critters in general don't want to do any work and simply leech off government benefits.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

making california rolls at home is very doable, with a little practice. I really miss being able to get ahold of tobiko easily, though.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Maybe they should start organizing honeypot conventions. You show up, they snap your photo and hand you a court summons for reckless public endangerment.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Why Am I So Tired posted:

My wife's friend said they should offer people free flights to resort towns and then crash the planes into mountains. Really need to buy her an account.

those poor mountains. :smith:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho was a good president because he actually listened to the experts, even when they told him to pump water out of a toilet

Agreed. When faced with a serious problem he:
  • collected a panel of the smartest people in the world
  • maintained an open mind and heard people out
  • immediately sprung into action once a plan was proposed
  • acted against corporate interests for the sake of his constituents

I doubt any president in living memory would have done a better job in his shoes and/or monster truck.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

1, 2, 4, and 5 are all based on assuming the most optimistic possible outcome for the disease before any data was available, which is inexcusably irresponsible public policy. Even if 5 were true it's still a downright evil policy to leave the vulnerable to fend for themselves.

3 was clearly false despite not understanding the mechanism, since even from the beginning survivors showed signs of organ damage throughout their entire bodies, supporting the idea that they could have "long haul" symptoms.

6 is idiotic on its face.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

GXL posted:

After the fall of Duke Leto, Baron Harkonnen infects Thufir Hawat with covid and presses him into service with the promise of a weekly paxlovid dispensation

I think if I was covid positive I'd be more than willing to milk a cat to obtain paxlovid.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Tulip posted:

it's more something from falafels but it applies to at least black bean burgers -

how burglike your burg is will be a matter of the balance of flour and water. make your base - your beans, onions, garlic, maybe some sliced red peppers whatever spices. it won't stick together for poo poo. add some flour till it somewhat sticks together. if it gets too dry add a little water. the test i grew up on is to make a ball in the palm of your hand, cup your hand a bit, and turn your hand sideways so some of the ball is basically hanging over the air rather than directly above your hand. If the ball crumbles its too dry or too wet

In my own bean burg experiments I have found that using breadcrumbs or potato flakes is a bit easier than using flour. Eggs can also be used as an additional binder if you aren't aiming for vegan.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We're keeping them isolated for now until we make sure there's no territorial issues but the other rats are excited.

how difficult is it to introduce new rats to a group, generally?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

100% inheritance tax for anything north of, say, a million dollars, would be a start.

Attempts at evasion punishable by pillory and asset seizure.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

text editor posted:

I suppose my next step is try to get it reclassified as a religious exemption

"I am a secular humanist, and it it goes against my beliefs to take off my respirator and contribute to murdering my coworkers, family, and self."

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

I'm sure that these corrupt mechanisms, which made things worse for vulnerable people, can also be cleverly employed to make things better for them!

I'm sure of it!

The dual to that memo invalidating religious exemptions from vaccination on the basis of the use of several dozen over-the-counter drugs is that they just say your belief in humanism isn't sincerely held, because you clearly still participate in a society which is architected to immiserate and kill human beings. :smith:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I'd be willing to bet that even two years into the pandemic, the average American is not aware that there is any difference between surgical masks and N95 masks, and even if they do know there's some difference they could not articulate it meaningfully.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Dren posted:

I know what needs to be done. We need to take inspiration from the classic film, biodome. We put a bunch of blue checks into a biodome for 69 days but the catch is they must wear respirators except after entering airlocked rooms where they can eat. At the start, several are infected with covid but no one knows who. At the end, covid is extinct in the biodome, proving on a small scale what must be done.

Do you really think watching all the blue checks die of their inability to follow simple instructions will change that many minds, though? The way things have gone so far the most plausible outcome is a blanket ban on empirical studies.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Bought my parents each a respirator a few weeks ago and my mom texted me recently that she wore it grocery shopping and loved that her glasses didn't fog up like with N95s.

Today, I had a nice sit with my hens in the shed while it rained outside.

https://i.imgur.com/DFwUUpy.mp4

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

toggle posted:

can you include some audio next time please? i need to hear those sweet clucks :shobon:

They were being very quiet this time, but I dug into my archive. Here are both of my girls happily beeping and eating a piece of pumpkin I baked for them:

https://i.imgur.com/3BJsBcg.mp4

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

There was a thing about how Steve Wozniak likes prism glasses so he can lay on his back and watch a movie without raising his head and I've never hated anyone quite so much as I hated him then.

apparently one of his favorite "pranks" was to purchase sheets of uncut $20 bills from the treasury and pay for things by cutting an uneven polygon out of the sheet which contained the correct number of bills in front of the sales clerk

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I suspect that the treasury would let you do that in the 80s and don't anymore, in no small part thanks to woz

he also said that the sheets cost extra, above face value, to buy uncut

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

be the woz you wish to see in the world

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

what happens if you cut the money unevenly and you end up with an irregularly sized bill that anyone who sees it will think it's counterfeit

the technical term is "economic inequality"

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

The sheer number of times the US death toll has reached 1 million is getting quite concerning.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I enjoyed the brief period in 2020 when all the rich people were scared of covid, sheltering at home like most of the rest of us, and celebrities were losing their minds on twitter from not getting enough attention.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Having a quality respirator and not using it is the IRL equivalent of people who spend the entire RPG, including the final boss battles, hoarding items "in case I need it more later".

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Tzen posted:

new Avatar movie promoting full face respirators, you love to see it

Is the premise of the movie that a bunch of humans decided to live with aliens who are at a stone-knives-and-bearskins technology level while still being totally dependent on high-tech respirators to breathe? Sounds like suicide with extra steps.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Today I found a large snail while working in my garden, and my hens ended up spending about 15 minutes chasing each other around the back yard stealing it from each other. Would recommend therapy birds.

https://i.imgur.com/m9MGp0V.mp4

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Just go with it. Look at some birds.

for example,

https://i.imgur.com/x7s5hVo.mp4

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Woodsy Owl posted:

I'm Chicken Ecstasy

remarkably inexpensive by the pound compared to human ecstasy.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

HoAssHo posted:

I'm having a hard time putting into words why this lib poo poo is making me roll my eyes so hard.

for one thing, it's based on the idea that some people suck, so they deserve covid, so it's good if those people get infected. as usual this pretends that there's some way a virus can spread like wildfire among (presumably) republicans without producing collateral damage or advancing the clock on the next variant.

for another thing he's clearly not wearing an n95 or better*, so even in this crafted scenario our protagonist is barely more protected than the people who suck.

*(earloops, no visible nose band)

Internet Janitor has issued a correction as of 02:30 on May 15, 2022

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

The rest of the illustration is perfect.

Whiny expression, impotent gestures, ineffective use of a mask, no actual restriction of movement.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I'm digging the wasteland trader joe's vibes.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

platzapS posted:

i was just trying to be friendly :'(

if you're on these forums you know better than to threaten other goons with even mild social interaction. shameful.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Dick Valentine posted:

Refused to wear a mask, now forced to wear a diaper.

man walks into a grocery store leaving a trail of urine and excrement:

"I KNOW MY RIGHTS, YOU CAN'T MAKE ME WEAR A BUTT-MASK, FASCISTS"

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

hot witch divorcee posted:

ok I got the Spectacle Kit FF-200-20 and can finally confirm some details, it is indeed a kit that includes some birth control rear end glasses frames:

i suppose i need to get lenses fitted into it, wonder if i can just pop over to a lenscrafters or something

e: looks like you can order them from https://completeeyesafety.com/product/replacement-lens-for-spectacle-kits/ maybe i'll do this? though i gotta find my rx, ugh

for whatever it's worth, I'm very interested in continuing to hear how this adventure goes; I might need to go through a similar process myself.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

the city of new york will use taxpayer dollars to install personal subway cars for local billionaires with right-of-way on all rail tracks to encourage them to use the subway. several infrequently used stations, like grand central, will also be reserved for their exclusive use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Maybe we could workshop an alternative name for monkeypox that gives it a bit more gravitas and thus encourages people to take it more seriously.

bonobo blisters

primate pox

pox prime