Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
got my honeywell full face in last night. felt invincible when i tried it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gio posted:

so i know lol goon project, but ive thought a lot about what a cspam covid doc would be like.

i have zero knowledge of how to do this but my IDEA was that it would have zero narration, zero interviews, zero Expose type poo poo—just a collection of videos that highlight the contradictions of this bizarre reality, like videos of freezer truck morgues with people partying it up.

i mean thats all i got. basically two hours of morgues and packed ICUs juxtaposed with people partying. with IRONIC song choices like black eyed peas and poo poo.

this was in my covid science bookmarks and i dont remember who made it, but it wasn't me: https://vimeo.com/585640069

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Yaupon is so good.

It’s sad that hardly anyone knows about it outside of the South, and even there, it’s disrespected as an ornamental or even as a weed.

ive never heard of yaupon before and im fixing to order some. if it works for me i'll get my own plant wooooo

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thoguh posted:

That's right mother fuckers. Zika. She's gotta get tested to see if she caught Zika in the Dominican.

we still have zika educational signs up in galveston county because we have mosquitos year round and people that catch zika on on vacation can spread it here easier than other parts of the country with a short mosquito season.

she might have killed her baby. jfc

Zugzwang posted:

Zika is definitely still around; it just isn’t reported on as much.

That's because zika is endemic to poorer nations currently. It’s not a US problem. Basically what the cdc et al are trying to do to covid

anyway if the person in the op actually has zika they might have to quarantine if yall are in a mosquito prone region

edit: i take no pleasure in talking about zika or its effects on fetuses. i saw zika roll over my community and probably caught it myself. i wasn't directly affected because i am not/was not pregnant at the time. it was not fun knowing that if i forgot my mosquito spray i could effectively sentance someone else's fetus to death and i still find stashed bug spray

very similar to what's going on now, see the 2026 surgical mask tiktok but sub bug spray

call_of_qthulhu has issued a correction as of 17:33 on Mar 25, 2022

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
just remember to make sure your mask/respirator is bagged up before you spray yourself with mosquito repellant because I'm sure that poo poo will wreck your filters

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Louisgod posted:

I legit have had horrid allergies since last Monday when while mowing my lawn my kids decided it'd be fun to take a bunch of the grass clippings and douse me in them, which I of course had to do to them, which led to all of us having stuffy noses and coughs. took three separate Biden Tests, including swabbing my throat, and each one came back very negative. I'm feeling much better today and have that post-allergy clear nose but with productive coughing.

allergies right now are very real but so is covid so ymmv.

build a corsi cube. I should be getting wrecked right now but I'm not and the only difference this year is that I have a corsi cube going in my home and office when I'm there.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

blue squares posted:

if I make a corsi cube it’s gotta be quiet enough to go in my cubicle, and it feels
pointless since I sit in a giant room anyway

iirc even a little one next to you can be helpful, maybe not like a full size one in a closed room but it's something

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cloks posted:

hey, i'm looking for a very specific mask recommendation

my wife is a speech pathologist and spends all day working with kids on communication, so she's constantly talking

she's been wearing the 3M 9211+ respirators for months but she's sick of them, is there something she can wear under these conditions that would be more comfortable?

The envo mask is great (envomask.com). I spend a lot of my day speaking either on the phone or face to face and the only time I've had a complaint was when both parties were on speakerphone and I was 4 feet from the phone mic. So, normal speaking.

Iirc they are running a 40% off sale for March, super worth it. Get a big box of filters.

My only complaint is the condensation but my office is very cold all the time.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

text editor posted:

banned for saying the cope furry had blood on her paws lol

i just realized its been months since ive seen one of her tweets

i wish i could go back

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

dragon_pamcake posted:

I showed my 21 year-old coworker a T-shirt with a 90s cartoon design. No reaction. Gonna crawl right into my pine box if another child goes :confused: at my clever references.

36 is young by goon standards though, right? Right?????

i turned 37 today and woke up with a pulled muscle so i am not sure lmao

also my 39 year old boyfriend didn't remember the Bart Simpson trolling Saddam proto-memes from the 90s and I felt ancient

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

New valveless EHMR was approved, the ElastoMaskPro.

NIOSH approval number is 9388

The only filter option is N95, though.

The straps don’t look comfortable, but they’re supposedly durable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnVOpp5nxHw

Mesmerizing.

this honestly looks awesome because it's a blank canvas. i used to love the cloth masks back before i came back to the forums because i could either decorate them or use fabric that i love for the front panels, coordinate colors and all that.

i don't have the $80 right now but it's bookmarked for later. i had a highdea about a totally tacky bedazzled, blind people if the sun hits it wrong respirator and this one looks like a candidate

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

Also breathing exercises! Great for stress and lowering rhr, big thanks to the goon who recommended them in the last thread.

2nd breathing exercises, for all of the above reasons and helping keep your lung capacity somewhat decent post covid infection.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

I just got this spam fax at work and lmao

Dedicated To The First Responders And The Victims Of The Covid-19 And The War In Ukraine

Also: I am not a doctor but it's very amusing to see all the spam tailored to them. "HELLO DR BEAUTIFUL GENIUS, YOU AM THE BIGGEST BRAIN OF ALL. please make check out to cash, to benefit the less awesome"

oh poo poo we get those except it's like a who's who of Texas or a who's who of (local town). It's a total scam and always hilarious

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dog Case posted:

I've been worried that I've had COVID at some point and just didn't know it because I've been having dumb brain memory problems. I originally thought it was just state of the world sad brains problems but all the evidence for COVID loving up your brain keeps mounting so

My girlfriend suggested that it could be from quitting my job and having to use my brain more now that i don't spend most of my day doing scheduled job routine bullshit, and I'm not sure if she's suggesting that I was just too busy to notice that I've always been dumb or my new brain is struggling to be reborn in the time of monsters

how's your indoor air quality?

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Vinja Ninja posted:

My niece died last night probably from covid, RIP

goddamn i am so sorry

gently caress this stupid country

edit: gently caress this snipe too, i hate the fact that i'm posting rn and i'm terrified of the dentist appointment i have in like 2 hours everything sucks

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

loading... posted:

would it be worth it to think about bringing a portable air purifier to a dental appointment i have in like 2 weeks? (that is if i keep it - i'm in the US) would it even make a difference? i have a corsi cube i'm putting together this weekend but i dunno if it's also worth having a portable solution for instances like the dentist.

It would be worth calling ahead to ask. My new dentist's office had air purifiers in the exam room so I felt pretty good about it.

Granted there wasn't one in the waiting area but I am in texas :/

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Insanite posted:

also, think about positioning even if they have purifiers.

the dentist is our #1 suspect for how covid hit my family. they did have portable purifiers, but they were positioned in such a way that your head is pretty much in between the filter and everything it is drawing in.

drat that's brutal. the one i saw was in a corner, like positioned to spray fresh air at where the dentist and you are?

they also had signs up everywhere that was trumpeting how dentists know infectious disease better than most general practitioners. that was pretty neat. everyone was in n95+green medical surgicals.

leaps and bounds better than my sovcit brainwormed former dentists office that felt it was perfectly professional to allow a hygienist to assault me for where i worked and my generational cohort, the dentist herself joined in later during the exam but didn't hurt me physically.

i had to look them up for the first time since 2017 and one of the recent reviews was like "they do good work but i hate hearing that lady go off about vaccines". like goddamn they're still operating and still like that. jfc.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

Dentists never dealt with the bullshit about "wear a mask to protect others" and had to immediately address how to protect themselves from covid particles being exhaled from 6 inches in front of them. They probably did have the best in person industry standards due to that. Mine wouldn't take a patient from another household for 15 minutes after a prior patient so that the air had time to cycle through the purifiers, and would only do one patient at a time for the same reason.

covid made me realize that the best thing i could see in the world is others protecting themselves, because that means they're not loving insane.

side note: today's YLE newsletter highlights ventilation and even mentions improving ventilation and masking up when in close proximity to others. she doesn't normally stray far from the democrat party line so hopefully this means there's a sea change happening

call_of_qthulhu has issued a correction as of 13:47 on Mar 30, 2022

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Phigs posted:

I wonder what that even does now. Can you really go masks on masks off masks on? It's gotta be breaking to people's minds to see their leaders whiplash advice like that.

I hope that it is breaking people's minds towards self defense.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

yeah it was like 5 or 6 pages ago but it's universally hated iirc

thanks for making something that sprays your spit everywhere, dyson

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TexasDSHS/status/1509260624689348611?t=5pzy9c5bjwIgIl1Cg-qvxA&s=19

covid is here to stay, yall.

https://twitter.com/TexasDSHS/status/1509260631307956226?t=xZ3wv1xIRTkn5zpE-GjX0A&s=19

focus on losing weight instead of wearing a mask!

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

Yeah it's really a shame Covid has become so unpredictable due to the reduced testing and irregular reporting. If only there was something that could be done...

just lose a couple pounds and keep going to Applebee's every day for lunch so the shareholders stay happy!

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
my partner is worried that his job is going to force him to take his mask off. i asked him to quit if they did that and find a plumber apprentice gig or something. we ended up getting in a fight about it because he doesn't want to start over somewhere else but jfc what else is there to do? we live in the chudlands and poo poo is not going to get better

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Greg Legg posted:

Where are you and what does he do?

texas and he's in big rig parts sales. he's been in that field for 7 or 8 years now but I've been asking him on and off for a while now to get out because of automation and his chud coworkers

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tempora Mutantur posted:

extremely tempted to blow some cash on Facebook ads targeting the mectin crowd that calmly explain to increase mectin efficacy vs COVID variants that attack the stomach, you need to use a turkey baster for DIY mectin suppositories

do it

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

i am harry posted:

he could always get Covid and become disabled, losing his job forever immediately and also the rest of the good years of his life :shrug:

e: but I guess it’s alright…at least he’ll be able to say proudly that he did it working, and not something stupid like watching a Spider-Man movie

yeah cool we can't exactly afford to lose half our income right now. he's not a computer toucher so most remote work is out the window.

but i guess i should have expected this kind of a response oh well

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

fosborb posted:

yeah, but honestly its really loving easy to learn. most of the problem is really poorly written scripts that require, like, manually updating every month to produce that production report that someone requested 30 years ago and still gets emailed to a distro that returns 97% email account not found responses. it could easily be automated, but what boomer is going to automate their own job?

but Betsy has been running it for 35 years and the Infosys contractors can't make heads or tails of it so its clearly iMpOrTanT and CriTiCaL

this is from a few pages ago but the betsy i trained under was not okay with handing their job over to a contractor and fought hard to get our org to hire someone to replace them.

i have a feeling there's a lot of Betsy's out there that don't have that option for a variety of reasons and they're all lovely

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

welp this looks bad

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

real life wang commander whose blood is now 100% spike proteins

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
idk how many of yall might be involved in real estate transactions but MAKE SURE ALL YOUR DEEDS ARE CORRECT BEFORE SIGNING ANYTHING

TRIPLE CHECK

three of the deeds i've had come across my desk this morning have had major defects that required me to call the loving title company or to find out what the gently caress they were trying to do

been doing this for 7 years now and mistakes happen, but never at this pace and never have i had a title agent swear up and down the deeds they filed were correct when they conveyed 100% interest in the same exact property to completely different parties, or duplicated metes and bounds descriptions when they had different surveys attached, weird poo poo

title companies are notoriously full of chuds and they are 100% all in office and have been this whole time. they're super proud of not calling out ever too.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have to go to the dentist later to get a crown glued into my head. hell yeah

sup dentist buddy

getting an old crown removed today, replacement in a few weeks yay

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Foo Diddley posted:

i'm gonna leave for the dentist in about 20 minutes here

it's just dentist day in the covid thread

covid might actually be low in my locale? and dentists know infectious disease pretty well so i feel pretty safe going to get my teeth worked on.

versus going to a GP or whatever where they're just spitting in each other's mouths for fun

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
does anyone know of an android app that will just play live sound from a microphone?

i got a cheap lav mic and before i sacrifice one of the 3m 6500s i have i wanted to test the microphone's playback first. all i can find are apps that record.

just trying to figure out other options for speaking through an elastomeric especially if the stock of secure clicks or msa 900s evaporates.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

GXL posted:

You are going in the wrong direction with the lav mic. Getting it to put out sound at a decent level is going to require a preamp, not to mention the problem with positioning the mic to pick up speech through a half mask. Just bite the bullet and get a throat mic.

oh well guess i'll just buy a couple back up respirators, throat mic set ups seem to be way more expensive than another respirator

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

U-DO Burger posted:

e: he published a book in 2020 unironically arguing that the united states should try to triple its population to reach 1 billion citizens

this dude is very much tell me you want to own slaves without saying you want to own slaves

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thoguh posted:

drat it my wife is starting a new job and has to go to a weeklong out of town training at the end of the month and I wasn't thrilled but you gotta do what you gotta do but then last night I was talking to her about maybe looking ahead on google maps so we can find places that she can get takeout from and she says she thinks if she doesn't go out to eat with her new coworkers they'll think she's weird so she needs to do that. Not even a stupid but marginally understandable "I'm gonna go to eat with them one time" even, but the whole week.

We haven't been inside of a restaurant in over two years and she's just casually dropping that she's planning on ending that for an entire week while in chud country and not being willing to discuss the topic. Mother fucker, add me to the spreadsheet if she gets COVID and brings it home to our kid.

if yall have a yard, ask her to quarantine camp outside for a couple weeks when she gets back.

if not, ask he if she'd be willing to mask completely and quarantine in a room away from you and yalls kid.

it might work if she's willing to quarantine. I know theres been at least 1 goon itt that survived a positive roommate/spouse like that

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

iirc there were nurses at the beginning of covid that did this too.

idk if i had a yard we probably wouldn't have caught covid in 2020 because my rear end put have been backyard camping when my partner told me he got coughed on at work

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

tenderjerk posted:

A heads up for envo masks, get the ear hook clips if you can. The real sealing power on this comes from the drawstring at the bottom, and with the ear hooks you can clasp in behind your head instead of your ears

The standard strap is great but it doesn't mess around and will wreck your hair, if you care about that kind of stuff

if you can get away with wearing a wide headband that mitigates the hair wrecking with the standard straps. I also stretch the top halo band to where the bottom of it is under my ponytail, which helps some. My office doesn't have the strictest of dress codes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

gently caress

hey that's me right now

my coworkers were just in my office (unmasked, me in an envo) asking me about my corsi cube (loudly)

when they left i put the fan on 3 and shut the door

i think they're sold on it though, especially when i told them my seasonal allergies were pretty much gone.