Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"experts" weighing in on 4th shots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

coffee is a very cheap and extremely effective drug

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Greg Legg posted:

The schools in my district that did close during omicron did so because staff were out sick and it is impossible to get substitutes, so the principal just closed down. That article is something, holy poo poo.

were there any places in the US other than Chicago that actually closed schools prior to all the staff getting sick?

i think DC pushed back their start of classes for a couple days "due to weather" but they were up and running pretty quick. NYC didn't miss any days IIRC.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

FistEnergy posted:

probably not for much longer though :smith:

it'll be a lot healthier to drink coffee in the future since the people who dump milk and sugar into it to disguise the taste won't need to any more

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Gio posted:

so i know lol goon project, but ive thought a lot about what a cspam covid doc would be like.

i have zero knowledge of how to do this but my IDEA was that it would have zero narration, zero interviews, zero Expose type poo poo—just a collection of videos that highlight the contradictions of this bizarre reality, like videos of freezer truck morgues with people partying it up.

i mean thats all i got. basically two hours of morgues and packed ICUs juxtaposed with people partying. with IRONIC song choices like black eyed peas and poo poo.

[British accent narrator]

but then something happened that the CDC hadn’t planned

*static*

*footage of people banging pots from their balconies*

*footage of a child struggling to walk across a playground at school*

[Burial soundtrack begins playing]

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Gio posted:

i have never seen or heard of this movie but after reading the description i am highly intrigued

it is very good

the sequels less so

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Toaster Beef posted:

telling the job tomorrow of my intention to hit da bricks

new gig is fully remote and a 20% raise

impetus to look for it was asking to only work two days a week in the office instead of three (i'm a heart patient, any reduction in potential exposure is a good thing) and basically being told to gently caress off

so i'm loving off

grats on the new job

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-updates-sotrovimab-emergency-use-authorization

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
ah but this won't happen in america because, well, we don't want it to

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1507329507329548293

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Zerg Mans posted:

it won't happen in America because we won't test for it

iirc covid testing in the UK is over (much like Covid) today

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
one of the schools is actually bringing its mask mandate back because of this :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/vtdigger/status/1507431965045116929

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
how are peoples RAT hoards looking? I’m wondering if I should try to stock up for the summer since they’re easy to get now, but it’s hard to figure out the expiration date before you get them

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
just for the olds again

https://twitter.com/WTEN/status/1507712442998181888

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/_Eric_Reinhart/status/1507712696678072321

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mawarannahr posted:

get a rowing machine, concept2 is the good one + great resale and can find on fb marketplace or Craigslist usually

I got a concept2 as my Xmas gift to myself in 2019 and that’s been the one good thing about the last two years. would definitely recommend.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

stump collector posted:

anyone have experience with using expired rapid tests? my binaxnow expired about three weeks ago. does the reagent and or test strip break down and prevent them from delivering an accurate test?

google the lot number. the FDA set the expiration date at six months initially but then extended it to nine months so there’s a good chance that your “expired” RAT actually has another three months of shelf life.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
here's the extended expiration dates for Binax RATs. pretty much all the RATs got extended, so look these up before tossing them.

https://www.healthvermont.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pdf/COVID-19-BinaxNOW-Expiry-Extension.pdf

i mean, this all assumes you trust the RAT to give valid results in the first place. swab your throat, etc.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

stump collector posted:

which one-model d? is it time to scoop one

yup. it's been especially good for those winter days when there's no way i'd want to go outside. took about fifteen minutes to set up.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If you want to get a shot without your insurance being billed, you have maybe another couple weeks of that being a thing.

They are also going to give anyone 50+ a fourth shot. Given the uptake on third shots, they will probably expand that group after a bit when they have a bunch of leftover shots.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
a lot of governments just run on bureaucratic autopilot. the leaders get to add a little extra evil on the edges, as a treat.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Woodsy Owl posted:

What would be the problem with insurance being billed for another shot? Is insurance gonna flip poo poo if they see someone get a 2nd booster?

How are any of you all able to get multiple boosters in Washington state with their electronic tracking ?

i haven't booster banditted because i want my documentation (such as it is) all squared away because my employer mandates boosters so i couldn't be in a position where i'd just gotten one on the side a couple weeks ago and couldn't get another that would go on my card

that said, i think the strategy people here have used is to show up, give a fake name, and say they don't have insurance. that probably doesn't work in states like washington that did the sensible thing and created a vaccine database, but most states weren't sensible. since the government won't fund the shots any more, you won't be able to get them without insurance unless you pay out of pocket. nobody really knows what the cost of that will be since they've been free so far, but you can expect to pay $100-150 for the administration of the shot alone.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Thoguh posted:

I think every state, or at least most of them, have a vaccine database. Some are just easier for the public to access. My doctor's office has a record of my shots even though I got them via an unaffiliated pharmacy.

in VT the state has a database of you got the shot through one of the state run clinics but my doctor doesn’t have access to it and I would have to self report if I’d got the shot at a pharmacy. that’s the magic of america: 57 little kingdoms all run differently

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mdemone posted:

I have a lil bit of hypertension and I worry about doing tough cardio. my breathing is actually pretty good but my RHR is still too high. is this something I can do that will help without being too dangerous?

you should talk to your doctor and not cavers on a dead comedy forum but i've managed to cut my blood pressure down to 110-115 over 70 in the last year by cutting salt and doing twenty minutes a day of rowing, plus a morning walk.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
get to go in for my dentist appointment tomorrow. first time i'll be in a room without a mask with someone i'm not related to since, well, since my last dentist appointment

[joker laugh]

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

That's gonna be me next Monday. At least I got an appointment first thing in the morning.

:same: i'm not thrilled about getting my gums scraped at 7:30am, but i'm kind of glad for it too

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Trixie Hardcore posted:

ooh reducing salt? Not a bad idea! Hmm, a Fitbit?

i have to do a rather extreme version of salt reduction (<= 1500mg a day) but it's surprisingly easy once you start tracking it and cut out the worst offenders. you miss it a lot the first couple months and then your palate adjusts. there are a lot more low/no salt products on the market now too.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

WampaLord posted:

funny, my mom has the opposite problem. hates salt, can't stand the taste, got told by the doctor that she needs more salt in her diet.

pretty easy to do just by eating bread. or lunch meats and cheese. have a ham sandwich and you're more than set for salt in a day.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I suppose most low-salt foods are ok but low-sodium soup tastes like a bowl of dirty dishwater

the canned stuff is awful but you can make your own pretty easy with low salt stock and it’ll taste fine

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

It was now midnight, and my task was drawing to a close. I had completed the eighth, the ninth, and the tenth tier. I had finished a portion of the last and the eleventh; there remained but a single stone to be fitted and plastered in. I struggled with its weight; I placed it partially in its destined position. But now there came from out the niche a low laugh that erected the hairs upon my head. It was succeeded by a sad voice, which I had difficulty in recognising as that of the noble Fortunato. The voice said —

“Ha! ha! ha! — he! he! he! — a very good joke, indeed — an excellent jest. We will have many a rich laugh about it at the palazzo — he! he! he! — over our wine — he! he! he!”

“The Omicron!” I said.

“He! he! he! — he! he! he! — yes, the Omicron. But is it not getting late? Will not they be awaiting us at the palazzo — the Lady Fortunato and the rest? Let us be gone.”

“Yes,” I said, “let us be gone.”

“For the love of God, Montresor!”

“Yes,” I said, “for the love of God!”

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

after getting biden and congress (who all read david) to drop funding for all this stuff, suddenly david thinks we should have it all!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
we literally can't do any of the things in that article and he is a large part of the reason why!!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Leana Wen, ladies and gentlemen :golfclap:

[jokerfication intensifies]

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
what if they just made the whole plane out of the N95? :rimshot:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
guy in a meeting today was so happy that we took the "what we're doing about covid" link off the webpage last week

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
ahahahahahahaha Elon has covid again

I hope it’s the type that makes your hair (plugs) fall out

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1285937660490637313

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Thoguh posted:

This second booster authorization is not super encouraging because it seems hellbent on gatekeeping boosters and limiting to people who need(tm) one is not super encouraging for getting the infant EUA authorized in a timely fashion and not as they scramble to change course and approve it during the next wave.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1508822500024717321?s=20&t=wxq7Ds95TuypfMABFuoyTQ

complete bullshit. there is no reason to gatekeep to 50+. if anything, kids should be getting this first.

but they don't have enough money to pay for it, so the rest of us have to wait a few months for them to try to get rid of the extra doses when there isn't enough uptake on the shots.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
tfw you get kicked out of the eyes wide shut moloch masquerade for dicknosing

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1508820539573522441

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Acelerion posted:

When all this poo poo popped off literally everyone in the world understood "Its a coronavirus and you get reinfected by them all the time. The only question is how long you have and if the reinfections are less severe" Then we all waited with bated breath until the first stories of reinfections started to come out ~4 months later. And then it turned out reinfections are about as severe as your first (roll of the dice wise) once more data came in.

People understood the vaccines were going to be leaky. We understood that the primary endpoint was reduction of severity and that infections were not even being tracked in the studies. We knew protection wouldent last and we would probably need boosters. In the end the vaccines were wildly more effective than we dared to hope for and even that isnt enough.

The human collective accepts this stuff as default true for things like influenza so its not as if they are incapable of understanding it. The problem I guess is two things - the very uncomfortable conclusions you have to draw if you accept all that, and the number of people peddling lies for ulterior motives that reinforces the first thing. But the truth of it has always been there.

In the summer of 2020 you would hear from people "when do you think all this will be over". Like it has to at some point be over. But with the above set of realities where is the force to end covid? What mechanism eliminates this horrible thing from our reality. I would tell people not less than a year, which was met with shock and disbelief. Forever is hard to swallow even with a clear eyed view of the facts. So lets just not believe it. Ignorance is bliss.

i don't know exactly when it was that the anti-vax "natural immunity" lie gained wide acceptance out of desperation, but that's what happened and there has been a shift in attitudes over the last year toward this with otherwise intelligent people being willfully misinformed on the topic.