Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

Lol Eric Adams is rolling back vaxx mandates just in time to let Kyrie Irving play in the playoffs
it’ll be motherfuckin funny when he catches BA.2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Shear Modulus posted:

if joe biden's state of the union kills clarence thomas then I'll have to begrudgingly say biden did a good thing as president
It might also kill old Dem senators from GOP states, meaning they won’t be able to replace Breyer with a non-conservative. Which would be both :rubby: and terrible.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

alarumklok posted:

a storm of nuclear missiles flying over the oceans, air raid sirens ringing out across the nation. the last thing I hear before the planet's surface turns into a crater-pocked mockery of the moon is monica gandhi's head on TV stating skeptically: "but where are the deaths?"
”nukes, shmukes”

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lacrosse posted:

This is the worst timeline so this will absolutely happen
Bonus, they’d have to replace Thomas with a young and maybe even more insane conservative too.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Calibanibal posted:

You can tell me what Fandom you are in. I won't judge you unless its like Fate/Stay Night or something
breathing

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

...bucko.
I thought that Paul Offit didn’t suck and am displeased to learn that he does.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Good news: since the goal of vaccines is to prevent severe outcomes, no need to approve them for kids under 5 since they are already at low risk! Bing bong.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Greg Legg posted:

The schools in my district that did close during omicron did so because staff were out sick and it is impossible to get substitutes, so the principal just closed down. That article is something, holy poo poo.
Seems like the best solution would’ve been proper masking + ventilation + quarantining of positive cases, then?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

Hopefully China is just much better at catching the asymptomatics.
They actually test.

Also, aren’t quite a lot of asymptomatics really presymptomatic? That means an aggressive testing campaign will be able to catch lots of cases before symptoms show up, so the proportion of asymptomatics at test time will be higher.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Toaster Beef posted:

telling the job tomorrow of my intention to hit da bricks

new gig is fully remote and a 20% raise

impetus to look for it was asking to only work two days a week in the office instead of three (i'm a heart patient, any reduction in potential exposure is a good thing) and basically being told to gently caress off

so i'm loving off
:yeah:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

well that's a load of poo poo

The general thing you do is say "I can pay $30 a month" and just get on that forever, and it doesn't impact your credit score as long as you pay that thirty bucks a month
Someone should’ve told Lowtax

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I've got the ultra premium private health insurance as a condition of my visa and it's 120 AUD dollarydoos a month, or 90 freedom dollars.

In my Canadian province there's no private health care at all.
At least we’re free :911:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Jesus Christ.

At least two of those are Omicron, maybe all three.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Wonder if there’ll be another mild correction to the death toll before it’s officially declared to be 1 million

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Thoguh posted:

This is only because there was a recent tweet that blew up about people being required to remove their N95s and put on surgical for appointments and they were pissed about it. Everything this administration does is in response to being bullied on twitter.
They don’t want to be cancelled!!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

https://abcnews.go.com/US/school-cafeterias-brink-collapse-brace-end-covid-era/story?id=83601600

That one good thing the Trump administration did? Feeding kids no matter what during a pandemic? Yeah, the dems hosed that up.
Man, if you wanted to greatly exacerbate the wealth divide, you could hardly design something better than covid. :smith: A whole generation of kids not getting adequate nutrition is a really big deal.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Hmmm, China doesn’t have a plan to cause millions of its people to exit this mortal coil and cause many millions more to exit their status as people with functional bodies. Clearly this is a bad thing

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
His pinned tweet is pretty ace:

https://twitter.com/alexmeshkin/status/1365747325872709634

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I think they’ll regret it plenty when their strategy of “lie to everyone so they’ll vote for us” doesn’t work.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Thoguh posted:

Welp, my wife's grandma is headed to the hospital this morning with what sounds like either a bad flu or pnemonia which means there is at least even odds she has COVID for the second time. Her grandpa died last fall when he got COVID a second time so gonna be really awesome if COVID takes both of them.

Thoguh posted:

That's right mother fuckers. Zika. She's gotta get tested to see if she caught Zika in the Dominican.
I hope your wife’s grandma and that kiddo are okay. Zika is definitely still around; it just isn’t reported on as much.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Iron Crowned posted:

My work cares very much that 93,000 people died from drug overdoses in 2019, they care so much that they made me go to a presentation about it, and randomly make people piss in a cup to check for weed molecules.
Im glad they care about the pandemic of :420: overdoses.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ex post facho posted:

what's significant about ORF3a?
It’s related to the virus’ ability to gently caress with your body’s antivirus response. :shepface:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Don’t worry, I’m told that coronaviruses mutate slowly.

NeonPunk posted:

In short, ORF3a create a protein that helps the infected cells to push out viruses while it's busy generating new copies without killing off the host cells too quickly.

So, it'll make even more viruses and it'll get a higher viral load.
It’s so cool that we allowed a virus that can withstand the bat immune system AND is massively contagious to run loose like this.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

NeonPunk posted:

This too in a way. ORF8 is the major gene that does that tho!
How much of this space have we explored with simulations? I remember when Omicron showed up, experts were going “gently caress, this has all the nasty spike mutations we found in silico plus a whole lot more.” I have no idea if we even know what might happen as all these other cellular-machinery proteins start leveling up.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I worry that those of us who still care are like the countries in Pacific Rim that were going to rely on their huge walls to keep the Kaiju out. Except of course that more and more Kaiju keep showing up, and they keep getting bigger and bigger. And we are constantly being told that Kaiju are normal and endemic, so it’s best to learn to love, laugh, and live with them.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Palladium posted:

i cant take any disaster movies seriously anymore
Disaster movies where people want to solve the issue are looking like crime-related shows where the cops are not only the good guys, but competent

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Here's a paragraph straight out of hell:

"InstaMed, a J. P. Morgan company, released the Trends in Healthcare Payments Twelfth Annual Report - highlighting trends from the major industry stakeholders, consumers, providers, and payers. The report delves into the financial toll that the covid-19 pandemic has had on the healthcare ecosystem. Those realities have shed light on the need for providers and payers to prioritize and accelerate improvements to their payment processes."
:staredog:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

empty whippet box posted:

if there's one thing we've learned from all this, it's that we have to figure out how to make sure we get more money from these dying people
Claim denied due to the pre-existing condition of having ACE2 receptors

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

The CDC is pushing that joke comorbidity chart as a way to say dying of covid is actually your fault and I wouldn't be surprised if the life insurance industry found a way to wrangle it into a way to deny covid claims.

"He was 55 years old, a former smoker, drank two beers a day, and was over 180 lbs. He committed suicide, sorry."
This thread’s pessimistic projections about the CDC have a depressingly strong track record, so,

We need a Poe’s Law equivalent for stuff the CDC says/does.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Coldrice posted:

I’ll add another anecdotal story.

I started feeling a little bit like a crazy person taking my covid safety measures so seriously. Everyone’s out and doing things and it just feels like you’re missing the world turning. Luckily this year I got the chance to feel like I was making the right moves.

In January i found out my precious work place, which seemed to have survived totally unscathed for a couple of years, has had rampant outbreaks over and over again. They just hid it, made staff quietly quarantine (or not at all) and didn’t tell their clients. Just villainous stuff.

In that same month I found out the die hard fitness places that stayed open, that I used to go to and miss dearly, have all had constant break outs with staff and clients. Gyms, martial arts studios, outdoor recreation… They just hid it.

If you ask any business they all will tell you they haven’t had a covid outbreak. Oh yeah they’re also mysteriously understaffed for some reason
Yeah uh. This is one of the things that’s really worrying me. As has been posted before, even prominent lawmakers are saying that they feel like they can’t really talk about what things are like for them with long covid. I really wish I knew a way to get this culture of silence to end, but the gaslighting and consent manufacturing are so loving relentless.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

silicone thrills posted:

lol i need to start my passport renewal process and i just had a whole rear end existential crisis about it because i cant see myself voluntary traveling much for a long time

but then i was like lmao might need to cross the border into canada if president dementia gets us into a real ground war.

passport book and card forms filled out >.> Now I gotta brave getting a picture taken.
:same:

At least once I move in a few weeks. I was worried about the photo bit but evidently you can take one yourself.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nocturtle posted:

Two more years for the CDC to get a handle on long COVID. No rush.

One thing to note is taking the CDC at their word means they don't think they'll have a robust dataset on long COVID that could be shared with the public for two years. However this isn't stopping them from producing community risk levels based on the explicit assumption that the only relevant COVID public health goal is to limit the severe disease rate to match hospital capacity.

Once again the most charitable interpretation is the CDC is really just not good at its job of preventing disease.
I gotta do a quote dump later from Michael Lewis’s The Premonition. He loving eviscerates the CDC in that book.

but yes, tl;dr: they are bad at their job and have been for quite some time

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Thoguh posted:

Do it with your heart instead.
Way ahead of you

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

blue squares posted:

I just bought the Michael Lewis book. I sure hope its not "Big bad Trump stopped our hero Dr. Fauci from saving everyone"
It is definitely not. Great book, I listened to the audio version and then bought a print copy so I could highlight stuff.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Stereotype posted:

I didn’t know there was a new thread and was confused why I hadn’t seen any covid news
it’s because covid is over

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Paradoxish posted:

I don't want to do the whole BUT WHERE ARE THE DEATHS routine again

Not again come on :cry:

alarumklok posted:

a storm of nuclear missiles flying over the oceans, air raid sirens ringing out across the nation. the last thing I hear before the planet's surface turns into a crater-pocked mockery of the moon is monica gandhi's head on TV stating skeptically: "but where are the deaths?"

fosborb posted:

funniest part of the CDC maps now, if you happen to be color blind

red and green read almost identically
Yeah, not putting red and green in the same plots if you can at all avoid it is data viz 101 poo poo. Red-green colorblindness is really common.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Steve Yun posted:

https://twitter.com/a__virologist/status/1507467028394881025?s=21

COVID is so adaptable, so quickly, that there’s no way it could just be natural evolution. This was designed, built to be more transmissible than anything in human history. it had to be aliens
https://youtu.be/2JlO_LQU37E

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

mdemone posted:

ah hell. I just kinda assumed it was by eyeball

so like, did wildtype really do that whole thing?
Alpha was just starting to roll into town in Jan 2021. There were basically no vaccines yet to protect against wildtype.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I'm honestly surprised that some places in Texas and Florida are still tracking wastewater. You'd think Abbott and DeSantis would've banned it by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

fosborb posted:

I didn't think communicable diseases were a thing at conventions. huh egg on my face

https://twitter.com/goobietrash/status/1507568712609456133?t=ArlM32hK0_dWTX2naJ3TUg&s=19
You can take your mask off at your booth but you have to wear it on the way there