Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I would say the first season is perfectly fine as a self contained story yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

itry posted:

Edit: Do TV shows like Awake

Awake is so good, I love it very much

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Open Source Idiom posted:

Mostly yes. The second season shifts to a different structure and conflict, but in the same setting with a lot of the same backstory. I don't mind it though, it's a perfectly fine season of television.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I would say the first season is perfectly fine as a self contained story yeah.

Sweet, I'll check it out.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I started watching The Rig, and while it's got a spooky atmosphere at times and a really good British cast, the writing seems to be on almost parody of spooky shows level, at least after the first two episodes. It's also got the opposite problem to many of these shows, where instead of being dense and not being able to figure anything out, these guys are turbo geniuses who immediately make massive deductions based on practically nothing.

:siren: Spoilers for The Rig :siren:

Like in episode two they find dental fillings in a guy's sink, and the company representative who isn't Sherlock Holmes or some kind of amazing super scientist, immediately goes "their bodies are rejecting synthetic materials". Slightly later she looks at a sample of some ash under a microscope, decides to drop a blood of her own blood on it, and sees some wriggling things in the scope attaching themselves to the blood, and then goes "it's a parasite that attaches itself to the host organism and starts fixing imperfections and problems".

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think if you've watched enough mysteries and sci-fi you might jump to those kinds of fantastic conclusions.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I started watching The Rig, and while it's got a spooky atmosphere at times and a really good British cast, the writing seems to be on almost parody of spooky shows level, at least after the first two episodes. It's also got the opposite problem to many of these shows, where instead of being dense and not being able to figure anything out, these guys are turbo geniuses who immediately make massive deductions based on practically nothing.

:siren: Spoilers for The Rig :siren:

Like in episode two they find dental fillings in a guy's sink, and the company representative who isn't Sherlock Holmes or some kind of amazing super scientist, immediately goes "their bodies are rejecting synthetic materials". Slightly later she looks at a sample of some ash under a microscope, decides to drop a blood of her own blood on it, and sees some wriggling things in the scope attaching themselves to the blood, and then goes "it's a parasite that attaches itself to the host organism and starts fixing imperfections and problems".

Didn't bother me. What is really starting to annoy me though:

:siren: Spoilers for The Rig, specifically episode 6 but also the entire series :siren:

How they keep leaving people who are not to be trusted unguarded in positions where they can do massive damage. Like how the hell do you leave Coake alone in the control room after he's already killed 3/4 of the Charlie rig and several people on the Delta? Why did they keep Hutton running around so he could basically stage a mutiny?

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Just caught up, here are some observations that probably aren’t interesting anymore.

- The little yellow car parked in town is most likely Fatima’s as Ellis mentions she drove up in a Beetle (it’s one of the Y2K era New Beetles).

- I saw the light fixture situation and went ‘well that defies the basic laws of physics so this can’t be real’ in a way the space itself wrapping in on itself like a pretzel didn’t. For some reason I can accept a wizard violating the laws of space time to create Escher village but wireless power delivery is a step too far.

- What was Tabitha digging for? If they were real cords following them to some sort of hidden power plant would make sense but if you’ve already established they’re just for show obviously they simply end somewhere.

- Part of the appeal of this sort of show for me is to confront that I’d be completely okay with making sure a guy like Randall would have a little accident before he became a problem. Father Khatri knows what’s up.

- Tape a phone to that drone and just send it up high while shooting video you idiots.

- Definitely don’t collapse the entrance to monstar cave or anything. I know they can’t for plot reasons and I’m veering into ANGY MEDIA REVIEW territory but wow really you know where these things come from and you’re not even going to try?

- Jim and Jade will eventually wake up in the hospital as Japanese men in 1986 and start From Software.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Snackula posted:

Just caught up, here are some observations that probably aren’t interesting anymore.

I can forgive the "stuck in a weird hellscape and need a task to focus on but going crazy with it" thing, but everything about these characters is beyond frustrating.

Boyd - "Oh I can't possbly try to explain what happened to me out there because it doesn't make sense, so I'll just dismiss it and be vague while telling everyone else that the slightest detail might help us figure things out. No need to mention anything we saw out there"

And Tabitha? We're living in a hell town where terrifying monsters literally tear you apart if you're out after dark. You're stuck underground, lost and Victor turns up to help you.

"We need to be quiet"
"WHERE ARE WE?!?!?!"
"Please... this is where they live... be quiet"
"BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAAAAAAAAND?!?!?"
"ssshhhh"
"ARE WE IN DAAAAANGER?!?!"
"lady will you shut the everloving gently caress up?"
"BUT WHERE AAAAAAARE WE??!?!?!"

And speaking of Victor... will someone please just hold him down and keep punching him until he stops talking in riddles and gives some straight answers. Don't get me wrong, it was EXCITING TV to watch him lead the one character trying to figure something out to some old cars to sit on a roof and listen to violin for what felt like half the runtime of the episode to go exactly nowhere.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You really think a collapsed cave entrance is really going to do anything, also do you know of a safe way for unskilled randos to do that. I know I'm absolutely loving lately not trying to collapse a cave anywhere near me ever. I know about rocks and gravity gently caress that. Also seems like they have more than one place to get around from but who knows.

I also get why she dug to see where the wires go, the fact they aren't obeying the laws of science would only make me more curious to go see wtf is up, where do they go if anywhere. At that point it's just as likely the wires are connected directly to an underground Snicklebeast as it is they are just arbitrarily buried a certain depth.

And turns out her instincts there did uncover something strange they wouldn't have otherwise. Collapsing house ends up being a lot of trouble though.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I binge watched this show and enjoyed it. I like the mystery box they've set up, but I'll echo the sentiments in this thread of people just doing the dumbest poo poo.

"hey there's monsters sleeping here please be quiet so we dont wake them up I know I only speak in riddles but this is the only time I'll be straight with you, that's how serious this is"
"WHERE ARE WE WHERE'S MY BABY WHAT'S THAT WHAT'S GOING ON"

"hey I'm in a nightmare town with creatures that mimic the human form and voices, and they seem to know everything about us. I just heard a guy on the radio talk to me, it must be THE GUMMINT! Time to team up with the Q-Anon Shaman who's violently unstable to figure this out"

"hey I know I like, killed your dad and some other innocent people on some extremely flimsy pretenses, but I'm just going to pester you until you forgive me or murder me brutally"

"we had to handcuff this dumbass cuz he's been causing problems from minute one, and he just threatened to gut Donna like a pig. let's give him our only gun to test my silver bullets theory"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The bullets with random monster guts rubbed on it was the dumbest thing they've done imo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Khanstant posted:

The bullets with random monster guts rubbed on it was the dumbest thing they've done imo

Handled differently, I could see it being thematically interesting as like a driver of despair for the characters or an indication that their empirical/positivist strategy for figuring out the way Fromville works is not suitable. As presented, it seems like a distraction and something nobody really cares about.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

Handled differently, I could see it being thematically interesting as like a driver of despair for the characters or an indication that their empirical/positivist strategy for figuring out the way Fromville works is not suitable. As presented, it seems like a distraction and something nobody really cares about.

Yeah, I don't hate the idea of trying to make a weapon or tool or medicine or magic trinket... Like, just everything they actually did do was the baffling route. Even the leap from "I wanna make blood bullets" to "aw gently caress it he's dry, just dip it in the only wet thing we can find." That's like a morbid Futurama gag or something.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I wasn't totally clear on how they figured out the blood worms weren't spread, but transferred. They come and go as far as visibility and prisoner dude died pretty much immediately after.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Khanstant posted:

Yeah, and when they just pivoted to using any liquid it got a little silly.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
As annoying as Sara currently is there's enough allusions to her being in some sort of bad situation prior to the drive that dumped her and her brother in Fromsville that I expect a twist there. Vibes between her and bro were kinda off sometimes as well, like maybe she just spent 10 months in a psych ward for abducting someone and raving about how it was the only way to get everyone home and there was a 'you're still my sister but I don't trust or fully understand you anymore' type of tension between them. I want to believe she's not this lame.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
She's been through a couple of towns like this and just likes kicking the beehives because she's getting bored and overconfident. Turns out she was the man in black all along.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The queen in yellow, surely. Though this show doesn't have nearly enough tentacles to be a teevee adaptation of Lovecraft, I guess.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The cgi budget is like non existent so it would be hard. All you’re gonna get is some arm worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
had a dream last night that was basically the creepy night people from the show, where they'd show up outside your house and try to convince you to let them in and if you did they'd kill you gruesomely...

... except they were all, every single one, dressed in that one shark costume that got memed a lot a few years ago