Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
If you liked :lost:, From is for you.

quote:

Unravel the mystery of a nightmarish town that traps all those who enter. As the unwilling residents search for a way out, they must also survive the threats of the forest including the terrifying creatures that come out at night.

Trailer - TheTVDB - TVMaze - IMDb

Keeping this OP pretty bare-bones for now, but can add in additional information as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I heard in a thread that this was good, but couldn't remember where I read it so I tried to search for it and lemme tell you how good of results searching "From" gives you.

Ended up binging it last weekend, I'm enjoying it but can't do a 5 season mystery in a small town...hopefully it's fairly limited.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I appreciate that they're making at least a token effort at attempting to understand the situation. But I want more. Sync vehicle odometers and leave town in different directions!

My hunch is that everything revolves around Victor because the town itself is very much conceptualized as a small child would view things. The rudimentary plugs work because any five year old knows that how plugs work. Pigs and cows spawn because a kid doesn't think that deep about food chains. Etc.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I appreciate that they're making at least a token effort at attempting to understand the situation. But I want more. Sync vehicle odometers and leave town in different directions!

My hunch is that everything revolves around Victor because the town itself is very much conceptualized as a small child would view things. The rudimentary plugs work because any five year old knows that how plugs work. Pigs and cows spawn because a kid doesn't think that deep about food chains. Etc.

exactly, but there literally is a mystery little kid character already

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I know he's a techbro but I'm rooting for that rear end in a top hat guy to solve the mystery because it's always baffled me how these shows don't have characters try to figure this poo poo out at all. I like that there's two of them trying to do so in this one! I just hope that arc doesn't end with "magic, it's beyond using science to figure it out".

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It's actually kinda great that the big bad monster is totally defeated by just not going outside. With fresh food spawning by science or magicks it's a very survivable problem, so long as you aren't stupid or horny.

If Waaaaaaaaaaaalt and Fatima survive in the vestibule then literally any enclosed room with a talisman is a building for ghoulie avoidance purposes. Let's get to chopping that forest down and build to suit.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Let's get to chopping that forest down and build to suit.

Or build A suit. Bubble Boy style night outfits here we come!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I didn't like Lost and this is keeping me engaged for now :v:

This show is hosed up. Just casually killing off named/main characters almost every episode.

Medullah posted:

I heard in a thread that this was good, but couldn't remember where I read it so I tried to search for it and lemme tell you how good of results searching "From" gives you.
Yup. Terrible, terrible name for a show if you want anyone to be able to look it up or talk about it online.

It's actually kinda great that the big bad monster is totally defeated by just not going outside. With fresh food spawning by science or magicks it's a very survivable problem, so long as you aren't stupid or horny.

If Waaaaaaaaaaaalt and Fatima survive in the vestibule then literally any enclosed room with a talisman is a building for ghoulie avoidance purposes. Let's get to chopping that forest down and build to suit.
Yeah they could be doing a lot more. At least put up shacks everywhere with talismans just in case. Get that caravan out of that ditch and use it as a forward base.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

exactly, but there literally is a mystery little kid character already
One of my questions are... was Victor in the original town before all of it slid into Silent Hill wherever it is they are now? Was there ever an actual town there? Maybe Victor was born there to an earlier group of survivors and all their "institutional memory" was lost.

The town itself seems to have its own memory of how things should be. What with the electricity and the songs. Or maybe that's just the kid in white too.

Edit: poo poo, maybe that's why people find themselves in there. Because a town needs people. But what are the monsters?

Argue posted:

Or build A suit. Bubble Boy style night outfits here we come!
Just walk around inside a big post box. What are the requirements? It's not roof and walls, unless metal boxes (caravans) count. Maybe a box would be enough.

itry fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 28, 2022

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
On the one hand, the idea of nobody really working to solve their collective problem is an infuriating plot hole. But on the other hand, after more than 2 years of COVID where nobody is actively working to solve our collective problem, I'm sympathetic. Especially since the survive-the-day/hunker-down-at-night dichotomy puts even more emotional pressure on people. Executive Dysfunction has got to be a 0.01%.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Man of Faith, Incredibly Abrasive rear end in a top hat of Science

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

itry posted:

Yeah they could be doing a lot more. At least put up shacks everywhere with talismans just in case. Get that caravan out of that ditch and use it as a forward base.

I think they have a limited amount of talismans, and no way to make more.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Maybe. But unless they're Dishonored-style whalebones, they just look like pieces of wood with some kind of mark on them in black ink.

Edit: I wonder how Boyd found out about them. They made it sound like it happened in the last couple of years at most. Unless this is all talked about in the latest episode (I still haven't watched it).

itry fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 28, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They're all different, and I don't think reproducible.

If they did try to reproduce a talisman, they'd have to test the process. That would be dangerous twice over -- a pos negative would result in at least one death, and the creatures could generate false positive results by choosing not to attack, even though they could easily cross the threshold and murder the test subject.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, watched the episode. They all seem different.

A test that will work is putting a test talisman near a main door, while putting another one inside a closed hallway. They can't seem to feel/see the talismans until they're right on top of them, so if they get in the house you know the test one didn't work, but you'll still be safe in the hallway.

And speaking of thresholds... (Ep.8) not sure why it matters if the windows are open or not. Boyd was in a cave with some shrubs for a door and he was fine. Also if a closed room is good enough, then how did they (Ep.7) manage to get through that bathroom with its closed door into the rest of the house? What's the difference?

Edit: Also still weirded out how they (Ep.7) just casually, almost lazily, took out Khatri from the show. Almost offscreen even.

itry fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 28, 2022

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Episode 8 was fantastic.

Man of Faith, Incredibly Abrasive rear end in a top hat of Science

:lost:

itry posted:

I didn't like Lost and this is keeping me engaged for now :v:

This show is hosed up. Just casually killing off named/main characters almost every episode.

This is a really refreshing change to see, and the premise allows characters to be interchanged fairly often. A good solve to LOST's problem of dwindling survivors.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The forest contains existence altering treasure, and they had like 100 days of peace before the Grumpysons +1 arrived. Absolutely criminal that miles and miles of forest haven't been divided into navigable grid squares and methodically searched.

One thing Lost did better was have characters hammer in people's names. I will never be able to forget CHA-ley but gun to my head I could name three or four characters' names. It's not goon face blindness at play, I'm not confusing people, just my addled brain critically failing putting names to people.

Sheriff: Boyd
Deputy: Ricky?
Medic: Julie
New Dad: Jim
New Mom: Tabitha?
New teen girl: Also Julie
New little boy: Everett?
Tech bro: Jade (memorably dumb)
Walt: Ellis
Walt's girlfriend: Fatima
Big Momma's Colony House: Donna?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I'll remember them when an episode starts and then promptly forget them again when it ends. Except Fatima. She's cool. Edit: Also Victor.

Webbeh posted:

Episode 8 was fantastic.

:lost:

This is a really refreshing change to see, and the premise allows characters to be interchanged fairly often. A good solve to LOST's problem of dwindling survivors.

Oh, yeah, good point. No need to worry on the front I guess. There's still the question of what exactly they're planning for the future (if they get another season), since...

The forest contains existence altering treasure, and they had like 100 days of peace before the Grumpysons +1 arrived. Absolutely criminal that miles and miles of forest haven't been divided into navigable grid squares and methodically searched.
... there's a limit to the amount of time the survivors can believably sit around doing nothing. (Ep.8) Yeah I know, it looks like they're doing something, but no one besides Boyd is exploring.

But to be fair, they did establish party house in that time. And got a diner going. And started growing livestock. So most of them were probably busy.

itry fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 28, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Thanks for making the thread, I binged the available episodes just now and there's two more on the way? :argh:

Although I realize that :lost: shows won't solve the mystery boxes anytime soon, but still. :catdrugs:

itry posted:

One of my questions are... was Victor in the original town before all of it slid into Silent Hill wherever it is they are now? Was there ever an actual town there? Maybe Victor was born there to an earlier group of survivors and all their "institutional memory" was lost.

The town itself seems to have its own memory of how things should be. What with the electricity and the songs. Or maybe that's just the kid in white too.

Edit: poo poo, maybe that's why people find themselves in there. Because a town needs people. But what are the monsters?

I got the impression that Victor may have been an original townsperson, his lunchbox and the... Decor of the town's remains fit a 70's vibe, sort of*, and that'd match Victor's age, assuming we're roughly living "today" in the show. Which the rear end in a top hat sort of hinted at with his "quantum computing app" brag.

*disclaimer: I'm not an American, so my ideas of Americana through the decades may not be all that accurate :ohdear:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm sad Colony House was done in by a lonely nerd and not some thrillseeking nihilist loving with the ghosts.

"What up Milkman Dan?"

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Started this last night and my wife and I are hooked after two episodes. Is the season over or still ongoing?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Kingtheninja posted:

Started this last night and my wife and I are hooked after two episodes. Is the season over or still ongoing?

There are two episodes left of this season.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Oasx posted:

There are two episodes left of this season.

I'm up for w/e crazy poo poo the monsters will pull :suspense:

(Ep.7):catstare:
"Your hands are so warm" :v:
"Did you think they would be cold?" :wink:

Rappaport posted:

Thanks for making the thread, I binged the available episodes just now and there's two more on the way? :argh:

Although I realize that :lost: shows won't solve the mystery boxes anytime soon, but still. :catdrugs:

I got the impression that Victor may have been an original townsperson, his lunchbox and the... Decor of the town's remains fit a 70's vibe, sort of*, and that'd match Victor's age, assuming we're roughly living "today" in the show. Which the rear end in a top hat sort of hinted at with his "quantum computing app" brag.

*disclaimer: I'm not an American, so my ideas of Americana through the decades may not be all that accurate :ohdear:

There doesn't seem to be any time travel involved, no. They all seem to be from the same present.
The town certainly looked cleaner/newer in the flashbacks, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was "normal" back then.

itry fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 29, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

itry posted:

There doesn't seem to be any time travel involved, no. They all seem to be from the same present.
The town certainly looked cleaner/newer in the flashbacks, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was "normal" back then.

I'm just going to theorycraft for a bit since that's what :lost: shows are for, right? :haw: If Victor's first (?) encounter with the kid in white was a total massacre of the entire town, as the flash-back could be interpreted, the town could "reset" every now and then, and since the electricity and animals seem to be magic of some sort, the town could also update its looks to be more era-appropriate. The jukeboxes (radios?) in the diner, the teevee and the wallpapers in the houses seem old-ish for the Age of Smart Phones, but it's not like they're trapped in a town from the 1600's either. But then there's one of the monster creatures who is clearly a milk-man, and that profession ended around WW2 or something, right?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

wikipedia posted:

In 1963, nearly 29.7 percent of consumers in the US had milk delivered, but by 1975, the number had dropped to 6.9 percent of total sales.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

^nice

Rappaport posted:

I'm just going to theorycraft for a bit since that's what :lost: shows are for, right? :haw: If Victor's first (?) encounter with the kid in white was a total massacre of the entire town, as the flash-back could be interpreted, the town could "reset" every now and then, and since the electricity and animals seem to be magic of some sort, the town could also update its looks to be more era-appropriate. The jukeboxes (radios?) in the diner, the teevee and the wallpapers in the houses seem old-ish for the Age of Smart Phones, but it's not like they're trapped in a town from the 1600's either. But then there's one of the monster creatures who is clearly a milk-man, and that profession ended around WW2 or something, right?

Well if that's true then the town is in a real need for a refresh because everything is full of rust :v:

I think I also saw a golden age science fiction astronaut in there, and those were never real, so who knows why those things look the way they look.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That's why it is theorycrafting, we have way too little information to know anything :haw: But I swear if this turns out to be some kind of "nuclear test gone wrong" long con, they're just ripping off Twin Peaks and I will not stand for it, sirs.

Will. Not. Stand. For it. :argh:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Will not stand for it! (because I watch tv sitting down)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This show is really good so far, but so much is going to depend on how well it ends. A dumb or half-arsed ending could ruin the whole thing.

Well, also the monsters have some kind of mesmerism. It was stated to be stronger if you can see them (which is why they cover the windows) but unless you can block out their voices you're always going to be somewhat susceptible.

itry posted:

And speaking of thresholds... (Ep.8) not sure why it matters if the windows are open or not. Boyd was in a cave with some shrubs for a door and he was fine. Also if a closed room is good enough, then how did they (Ep.7) manage to get through that bathroom with its closed door into the rest of the house? What's the difference?
Wasn't that the cave that was full of talismans? Probably a magic cave. As for the bathroom, the talisman has to be on an external wall, ie. separating you from them. If there'd been a talisman on the other side of the bathroom wall then it would have worked, but the talisman was on the wall at the front of the house. The monsters were already past it. Here's an illustration: Red is an open portal, yellow is closed but compromised, green is closed and safe. Pink circles are talismans.

If the second (top-right) talisman were on the other side of the wall it's on now, only that one room in the top-right corner would be compromised because the only door to the rest of the house would be safe.

Edit: Actually, nope, that bit I crossed out is wrong because all the other exterior portals would still be compromised. An interior talisman can only ever protect one room.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 30, 2022

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Tiggum posted:

This show is really good so far, but so much is going to depend on how well it ends. A dumb or half-arsed ending could ruin the whole thing.

Well, also the monsters have some kind of mesmerism. It was stated to be stronger if you can see them (which is why they cover the windows) but unless you can block out their voices you're always going to be somewhat susceptible.

Wasn't that the cave that was full of talismans? Probably a magic cave. As for the bathroom, the talisman has to be on an external wall, ie. separating you from them. If there'd been a talisman on the other side of the bathroom wall then it would have worked, but the talisman was on the wall at the front of the house. The monsters were already past it. Here's an illustration: Red is an open portal, yellow is closed but compromised, green is closed and safe. Pink circles are talismans.

If the second (top-right) talisman were on the other side of the wall it's on now, only that one room in the top-right corner would be compromised because the only door to the rest of the house would be safe.

Edit: Actually, nope, that bit I crossed out is wrong because all the other exterior portals would still be compromised. An interior talisman can only ever protect one room.

I appreciate the effort. They were already inside (past it) anyway when Fatima used her talisman, so the situation at the start and at the end of the scenario seems the same to me, just with a smaller section of the house being protected. Fake-edit: I guess your edit could be the conclusion? But that means they'd be protected whether Fatima closed the doors or not (like the cave).

So anyway... I hope there's some consistency to this made-up stuff, because I like consistent internal logic in my fiction.

itry fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 30, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

itry posted:

I appreciate the effort. They were already inside (past it) anyway when Fatima used her talisman, so the situation at the start and at the end of the scenario seems the same to me, just with a smaller section of the house being protected. Fake-edit: I guess your edit could be the conclusion? But that means they'd be protected whether Fatima closed the doors or not (like the cave).
No, they were protected in that room because it had a talisman on the wall and no open portals. No monsters were inside that room, which itself was fully enclosed. They've shown more than once that the doors have to be closed. Opening a door or window breaks the protection. It seems like you probably also have to make sure all the doors and windows are shut before you put the talisman up, and that "sealed box" defines the borders of the protected area, whether that's a room, a house, a vehicle, etc. The cave seems to be a special case, probably because it's where the magic originates.

The only thing that's not clear is whether an open portal provides a single point of entry or whether it invalidates the protection entirely. I think all the monsters came in through the one window the dumb guy opened? Maybe they had to, or maybe they could have come in anywhere but they chose to all come in that way.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tiggum posted:

The cave seems to be a special case, probably because it's where the magic originates.

The cave mouth had a curtain of ivy, which probably works on the same basis that a mesh fence or a wooden wall would -- i.e. there are gaps, but it's still considered obstructed enough to prevent a creature from entering without permission.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The cave had all of the talismans, so that's a good explanation as any.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Slamhound posted:

The cave had all of the talismans, so that's a good explanation as any.

The moment he started pulling them off the walls, during the middle of the attack, I was shouting at my television.

Completely understand the reaction, but so so thoughtless.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Tiggum posted:

No, they were protected in that room because it had a talisman on the wall and no open portals.

That was true for the entire house sans the bathroom (even the same talisman on the same wall), that's my only problem with the scenario. Maybe the direction of the talisman matters (I think Fatima flipped it around)? But it's TV magic so w/e.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

The moment he started pulling them off the walls, during the middle of the attack, I was shouting at my television.

Completely understand the reaction, but so so thoughtless.

I'da stuffed em down my pants.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I dunno where I even first saw a recommendation for this show, and it has literally the worst name in TV show history, but the first two episodes were insanely strong. So far it's been just, wildly good about intertwining the character development, mystery, and horror, and I hope it can keep that up. Skimming over the last several comments, I think I'll skip any further comments until I'm caught up but I don't think that'll take me too long.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think episode 3 was a dude but it's been firing on all cylinders since. Really glad u gave this a try, it's moved way up on my watch list.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I kept waiting for the spelunkers to dig into the tent, but alas :(

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Who is looking at Team Science and investing hope lmao. poo poo's going to fail until it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Time is a flat circle. Jim is going to try and get the transmitter working at the house, and he'll be hit in the back of the head with a 2x4 just as he gets a signal.