Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Unless you've been living under a rock for the past 20 years, you probably have had some exposure to Halo. After the incredible success of the first video game way back on the original Xbox, we've seen an exhausting run of sequels, novels, toys, miniseries, energy drinks and animes to capitalise on the property. Over the years, endless amounts of Microsoft money has been thrown at the franchise to make it part of the cultural zeitgeist.

Their holy grail however has been to make a movie - after being first announced in early aughts, a Halo Movie has been in development hell for the better part of two decades and has had many infamous stories, such as Microsoft marching actors dressed up in Master Chief suits into Hollywood offices to spruuk their sure fire hit, only to be laughed out the room at the insistence they take a huge percentage of the earnings. At one point it almost happened, with Peter Jackson set to produce and Neil Blomkamp set to direct - but the plug was pulled whilst the film was heavy in pre-production. But we can thank it for indirectly giving us the excellent District 9 - which shares more with Halo film than you might realise.

Since then, even year or two we hear some rumour or another, a press release here and there - which eventually goes quiet.

Over the last decade and a bit, interest in Halo has waned. After the split from original developer Bungie to a dedicated Microsoft studio 343, a series of games that under performed to expectations (latest one excepted) and a industry that moved away from story driven first person shooters, Halo's star has fallen. Somewhat telling, perhaps the lack of discussion around this series here is a reminder that Halo is no longer the cultural touchstone it once was.

However now, as a marquee title for the Paramount Plus streaming service, Microsoft have finally delivered their big ticket live action Halo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KZ3MKraNKY

Only one episode has been aired at time of writing and impressions are in. So far they have nailed the look and aesthetics of Halo. The Spartans look suprisingly great in their hulking clunky armour and the Covenant aliens have impressive CG that faithfully mimics their game counterparts, but also come across as imposing, powerful and scary.

We open on a poor remote mining colony, complete with Expanse like Belter accents, who clearly paint the UNSC and Spartans as the oppressors. The otherwise unknown Alien covenant attack and our green clad hero appears to save the day. You can watch the rest.

Straight of the bat, it takes some creative liberties with the story - humanising the Chief and making the focus on him, his conflict and dealing with his past. The UNSC is portrayed as being particularly oppressive and the trailer reveals large changes to familiar series stalwarts, such as Cortana and aspects Covenant leadership. These changes of course, have the internet, divided, especially since the look and feel is otherwise remarkably faithful, and the litany of source material and world building that some fans are very passionate and protective about.

But, in my opinion, thus far these changes have been interesting and arguably necessary way of adapting a series who's main characters defining trait is 'silent badass' and at the very least, leave some room for surprises. You can't help but make comparisons to the Mandalorian in the challenge they had to make a real character out of a suit of armour.

I really enjoyed the first episode, much more than I anticipated, given all the series baggage and am curious to see how the rest of the season turns out. It could go either way at this point, but I remain cautiously optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
This show looks and feels like it came about a decade late. the VFX are honestly just inconsistent; some shots are great and others are laughable. I read the first three books in high school and used to be really into Halo but it got really bad after Bungie left and I checked out. The show feels authentic and whatever they've changed doesn't seem too far off from what I remember. Lmao at the 150-200 remaining hardcore Halo nerds online losing their poo poo that the tv show version of the protagonist shows human empathy.

I didn't hate it though, interested enough to watch the next episode anyway. Beware though if you're bothered by gore, I'd say the show is a good 30% more bloody than the games! I can get behind it since it made the Covenant actually seem scary but your mileage my vary.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Never read the books, only really played the first game because it was what all da kids were playin back then. Wasn't a fan, jamming the tank into a tiny cave on Bloodgulch is the only positive memory I have of it today.

I wonder how often they're going to use the FPS-camera perspective. Already used it more than I expected and it looked as bad as it has in any show or movie.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
The first episode felt like the season finale to a bunch of episodes that don't exist

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought the CG corrections to the character choreography, and particularly that one shot that replicated the gun tossing animation, were very crudely implemented. So much fan service.

Pretty keen to see the further adventures of the lady who decided to cosplay as a sarcophagus.

Horizon Burning posted:

The first episode felt like the season finale to a bunch of episodes that don't exist

Fr? I thought it was pretty typical as far as openings go. Doomed hometown, soldier goes rogue inspired by magic object... shift some of the character ages around and you've got a 90's JRPG.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
I'll never understand why they choose people behind stupid schlock and 3rd rate material to be creative leads on big productions like this. But the studio got what they paid for, an absolutely mediocre and unimpressive first episode. Congratz to them I guess.

Khanstant posted:

I wonder how often they're going to use the FPS-camera perspective. Already used it more than I expected and it looked as bad as it has in any show or movie.

If it shows up again I'm done. gently caress that stupid gimmick to hell

Trump fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 30, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Trump posted:

I'll never understand why they choose people behind stupid schlock and 3rd rate material to be creative leads on big productions like this. But the studio got what they paid for, an absolutely mediocre and unimpressive first episode. Congratz to them I guess.

They're controllable, have no definable "brand" and can make easy scapegoats for committee design. And this thing was 100% designed via committee.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
I still dream about Neill Blomkamps take. Could atleast have hired a proper director to do the first 2 episodes to have an interesting guide for the rest of the series.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I thought the CG corrections to the character choreography, and particularly that one shot that replicated the gun tossing animation, were very crudely implemented. So much fan service.

I was mostly impressed by the depictions of the Covenenant, and just how much they were onscreen - particularly for a made for TV budget.

Agree about some do the choreography - Those shots of the Chief running and jumping airborne were very strange looking.

Khanstant posted:

Yeah. That was pretty painful to see more than once. Let's hope they got it out of their system.

And this thing was 100% designed via committee.

Judging by the stories around all the politics that prevented each of the 1200 earlier Halo movie attempts from being made, it wouldn't surprise me.

I still remain cautiously optimistic. Though I may eat those words.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 30, 2022

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Fr? I thought it was pretty typical as far as openings go. Doomed hometown, soldier goes rogue inspired by magic object... shift some of the character ages around and you've got a 90's JRPG.

Excluding for the moment the idea that Halo would be best served by a 90s JRPG style opening, I think it's pretty easy to see how this episode feels like, as Horizon put it, a season finale or even just a third or fourth episode. If I was to sum it up it's that very little of the episode feels sensible and even less of it feels earned, narratively speaking. The reason for this is really just because the writers figured they didn't need to build up to anything or need to provide any context and so events, some of them that feel quite big, just happen and the reasoning is filled in immediately prior or immediately after.

Think of it this way, a lot of this episode isn't really clear unless you know the Halo lore. But this is immediately a complication because this series is disregarding it and doing its own thing, for better or worse. I don't really care much about the lore, but I have played all but Halo 5 and read three of the novels, so, I've got something of an idea -- which only makes it all the weirder that the series isn't setting anything up. I watched the first episode with some people who know nothing about Halo and they had a lot of questions.

Take John 'Master Chief' Halo himself, for instance. What's his deal? He's some kind of inhuman killing machine seemingly controlled by Doctor Halsey and the wider UNSC. Him taking off his helmet is presented as big moment, but it's a moment that only really has meaning to the audience. Like, what does the famous Master Chief look like? Here he is! Had that come after maybe 2-3 episodes of him never ever taking the helmet off, it might do something to make it clear that he's just a man under there and make it a moment of vulnerability and empathy.

Or Kwan. It's actually really interesting that she tells us that Master Chief killed her mother. But why didn't we see this? It means very little to have that information told to us when we don't really know Kwan or the Master Chief or how the Insurrectionists relate to the UNSC and how the UNSC operates. But imagine it as part of an earlier episode where we see what happened from Kwan's perspective. Present the SPARTANs as these terrifying killing machines who do the morally dubious bidding of the UNSC, which would also bolster the big moment where Chief goes rogue and flies off into the unknown.

You can sort of tell this is a problem because so much of this episode is just characters expositing things to each other. Oh, the SPARTANs are scary and bullet proof. Oh, Halsey and the Admiral don't like each other. Oh, John killed Kwan's mother. Oh, Keyes has drama with his daughter about killing a child. And so on and so forth. Characters have to quickly fill in all the important stuff in order to make the drama, well, dramatic. But it'd be so much better if they'd given us some time to actually see these things and the tension that results and therefore anticipate, say, the trainwreck that'll result from the conflicted super child soldier John being in a tight space with vengeful rebel Kwan against a backdrop of authoritarian militarist intrigue.

I think it's very easy to imagine a half season or so where we really get to know the Insurrectionists and get to see John and Halsey's perspective on the halls of power -- and then, bam, the Covenant come out of nowhere and murder all the fun people we've come to know and John and Kwan crossing paths prompt the super soldier to go rogue. Instead, it comes across as, like, he touches a particularly spicy rock and now it's party time. On one hand, it feels like the show really expects you to know Halo so, like, you know why the UNSC brass doesn't like Halsey much and who the girl in the little bubble might be and how it relates to cloning and the so-called Cortana project. But on the other, they're just openly reimagining certain bits of the story, like John drawing the spicy rock when he was a kid and inventing a human within the Covenant power structure.

The whole series just feels weirdly unimaginative to me. It's that by committee thing people have mentioned. It's like the opening credits with the artsy armoring sequence. If you were workshopping Halo opening ideas, I'm sure 'artsy armoring sequence' would be near the top which just makes it feel rather bland and unimaginative when that's what they go with. But the writing feels like someone was in a rush to hit 'the good bits' from something like the Mandalorian -- there's a sidekick who helps him be human, we see his face, etc. etc.

I'll watch a few more episodes, I think, because there's stuff that's fun and somehow the first episode is, like, a fun 7/10 but the writing feels pretty flimsy despite having such a wealth of material to draw on, even if just for their own concept! "A young woman is forced to team up with the conflicted super soldier who killed her mother" is a solid idea. But the first episode feels like it's really suffering from the writing problem of starting "too late" in the story. Like, you'd think a story like that would begin with the moment where the young woman sees her mother get murdered in cold blood, even if we leap forward a few years... Instead, we start too late and so the show has to tell us all the backstory.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 30, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked the first episode more than I thought I would, though yeah the CGI is very uneven. I think I would be fine if they just did less CGI spartan shots and kept it to the aliens - they're dumb video game monsters anyway so they don't need to look realistic per se, but when you see shots of things that clearly just could've/should've been done practically it's very off-putting. Like that one shot of the assault rifle landing on the ground. Why was that in the show?

Pilot has a lot of issues in general, but I do like the sentiment behind it I guess. They're trying to make a hero narrative but also aren't afraid to confront the fact that spartans are intergalactic union busters, or that the UNSC is massively corrupt and Halsey is doing incredible crimes against humanity. I admit I have no idea how any of this is going to play out based on the first episode, but hopefully it remains interesting.

A few things:
-gently caress OFF chickening out on using the actual music from the games outside of the opening chant. If you can say nothing else about Halo, it's that the soundtracks are truly defining in the video game space, and the show evoking the Halo theme but then shifting into other generic orchestral stuff is by far the worst part about it. Absolute cowardice.
-I do like that the show tries to give the covenant their own perspective, though doing it through this weird human lady is not a great choice so far. Really they should be setting up the Arbiter, though they're probably not gonna get Keith David.
-Let Chief take off his helmet. There's no reason for him not to when he's not in combat. Treating the character like he's a sacred icon was always dumb when he is essentially just the soldier who ended up surviving. They could even do more narratively interesting things with this concept when he gets Cortana and then starts refusing to take it off.
-The Spartan suits look really loving good, honestly. The other Spartans too. Which is why it's disappointing when they suddenly turn into CGI action figures between shots, but oh well. I wonder how much they blew their load on that opening battle and if we'll even see more fights before the finale.

tl;dr: I thought it was fine, but uneven, but I appreciate most of the creative choices they made, and I hope they iron out some of the issues as the series progresses. I didn't realize this was 9 whole episodes, which is a lot for this kind of budget, so we'll see!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Agree about some do the choreography - Those shots of the Chief running and jumping airborne were very strange looking.

There was a little more than that though too.

There were times the other Spartans moved about in general where there was either this little wiggle of the armour as if it didn't fit right or they were trying so hard to do some kind of "stiff soldier robot movement" that it caused them to look, I dunno, like tryhards (that might just be how it was filmed though).

Actually that's the bit that that kinda put me off them.

There's this unearned gravitas about the Spartans, walking around with this posture of superiority like army wannabe airsoft dorks.

I know it's got its own thing going vs the games but it feels like we needed a lot more "these are long serving serious soldiers" from their depiction.

Especially if they've supposedly been engaging the covenant for a while already.

Like, say what you want about helmet or no helmet, but show don't tell is an important story telling technique, and while the games hardly have MC talk, that coveys a sense of stoicism that comes with having seen too much (intentional or not).

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The production design is pretty good, apart from a few minor CGI things here and there.

I don't really care about the changes from the games, some nerds are getting very angry because the show is 'woke' with character changes and such. There are some dumb bits here and there but overall I'm looking forward to the rest of this season and season 2 (I assume discovering the halo will be the cliffhanger ending for s1)

The suits or armour and the aliens look really good though, although I assume we won't see too many covenant in season 1 while they try to keep the budget inline, season 2 should have a lot more battles as they've already got all the props, costumes and a ot of digital assets created already.

Although its a shame the elites are chubby, I believe this is because onset someone is standing on stilts in a rubber suit which is then replaced digitally, so the design has to be a bit wider/bulkier to hide the real person on set. They look more like Brutes rather than Elites.

And the Prophet looked amazing on screen, apparently the body is a puppet with a CGI face, worked well.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 30, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

drunkill posted:

nerds are getting very angry

A sadly evergreen quote. For someone who hasn’t watched it and probably never will watch it, how exactly is the show “woke”? Are chuds mad that they put clothes on Cortana or something?

I haven’t been able to muster the energy to care about Halo since I beat Reach like a decade ago. They should have just stopped there. Bungie sure as hell did :v:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I kinda wish the Shuckle from Pokemon had been a full puppet tbh. Puppets rock.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Baby Yoda never pulled a gun on Mando.
That's the better halo show imo

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

nine-gear crow posted:

A sadly evergreen quote. For someone who hasn’t watched it and probably never will watch it, how exactly is the show “woke”? Are chuds mad that they put clothes on Cortana or something?

I haven’t been able to muster the energy to care about Halo since I beat Reach like a decade ago. They should have just stopped there. Bungie sure as hell did :v:

She hasn't shown up yet but has been seen in trailers, she's not blue enough nor hologrammy, plus yeah wearing clothes.

Keyes is now a black man so that got everyone riled up.

The main supporting role (a refugee/orphaned girl) is korean so they hate that too, also the fact that John Halo took off his helmet for her to humanise him in her eyes after she said he killed her mum a while back when he was putting down insurrectionists for the fashy-military world government.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

Probably makes the keyes black and having the brown lady admiral. What's funny is they also make them narratively sinister at the same time

It's like being mad the first order is much more diverse than the empire. If it's trying to be woke the subtext makes things a bit wongo

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bets on Unggoy ever even appearing in this show

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BiggestBatman posted:

Probably makes the keyes black and having the brown lady admiral. What's funny is they also make them narratively sinister at the same time

Well there are sympathetic people of colour too. I don't think that argument holds water. Not that I think you were arguing it seriously.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Hakkesshu posted:

Bets on Unggoy ever even appearing in this show

According to the John Halo actor, they appear, Brutes appear, and we've seen a frame or two of Jackals in the trailers along with Lekgolo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Keyes being a dick and toe-the-line military dude is par the character and tracks with the game. He’s fine (so far) but to be honest he’s not outright evil in the game and having the UNSC’s focus on curbing rebels and killing kids feels kinda hosed up. Miranda on the other hand I have no idea what they’re doing with. Her scene where she talks with the survivor made her look clumsy and inexperienced and stumbling with talking to a kid while she’s awfully confident and cool and good throughout the game from the start. Maybe they want to start her here and have her grow into a more confident individual but it wasn’t great.

Dismissing the show’s fault as “nerds getting angry” kinda plays into the whole “who the gently caress is this show for” if it isn’t for or counting on the people that actually play the games / know about Halo.

My guess is the show is going to introduce the existence of Halo early as a mcguffin John and the UNSC focus on finding as the covenant begin their invasion proper. Them reaching/finding Halo would make a good endpoint to the season with the fall of Reach being the climatic set piece as it all falls apart. Have the flood be the post-credit stinger or something.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 30, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I'm no chemistry major buy something did rankle me about plajet Madrigal. They called it one of the largest exporters of Deuterium in human space. And the planet is a desert.

Doesn't Deuterium, you know, need water in order to show up in any significant amount? It's hydrogen based.

And for anyone who wondered what a Neil Blomkamp Halo might have looked like, he did do the Landfall short film for Halo 3's marketing campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyOAdrxlPVs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No it's heavy water, so heavy that it sinks beneath the sands

I'm not married to Halo lore so I'm fine if they tell a good story outside of that canon, but we'll see if they can. I don't think it's hopeless, I think the back half of the premiere was somewhat better than the first.

Also I am begging film and tv people to stop doing the first-person view in media based on fps shooters.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 30, 2022

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

But the first episode feels like it's really suffering from the writing problem of starting "too late" in the story.

Agree that with what was presented it would be nice to have alot of the worldbuilding built up over a few episodes - delaying the Covenant reveal would have emphasised their real threat and progressively building up, then tearing down the image of UNSC would have made Chiefs allegiance switch all the more impactful.

One possibility is they're rushing the story to establish the 'Halo' part of Halo, so they can pick up where the games started. Personally I think it would be better if they hold that off for the finale or stinger leading to a second season. There's plenty of worldbuilding that is boring in a videogame, but translates well to a serialised drama that can be done in the meantime which would make the left hand turn into floods and relics and ancient AIs all the more meaningful.

That stuff worked great as a mystery box in the first game as they discovered the ring world, but if you asked me to explain what happens in any of the games afterwards I couldn't tell you. It all got a bit samey after that. But in contrast I fondly remember most of the original Fall of Reach novel prequel for how well it established a world and a background for the Spartans.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Miranda on the other hand I have no idea what they’re doing with. Her scene where she talks with the survivor made her look clumsy and inexperienced and stumbling with talking to a kid while she’s awfully confident and cool and good throughout the game from the start. Maybe they want to start her here and have her grow into a more confident individual but it wasn’t great.

I thought at first they were retconning her as a scientist, since the head honcho said something about alien artifacts being her area, not Halseys. But then I was confused because she appears in the same UNSC uniform as everyone else. She certainly didn't seem like a military leader yet.

I always thought the videogame character was always a bit weird though. It felt like they wanted the same character / role Keyes had in the first game, but he's dead, so let's just swap in his daughter.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I’ve never played a halo or read a halo book, so I’m absolutely not the audience they probably expect to watch.

Its a super mixed bag. Sometimes the CGI looks awesome, other times it’s total poo poo. Then there are the inconsistencies like a minigun being worthless against covenant shields unless a spartan is carrying it.

I’m betting they blew a lot of money on that 1 episode mini movie, and the rest of the show is going to fail to deliver.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Kin posted:

There was a little more than that though too.

There were times the other Spartans moved about in general where there was either this little wiggle of the armour as if it didn't fit right or they were trying so hard to do some kind of "stiff soldier robot movement" that it caused them to look, I dunno, like tryhards (that might just be how it was filmed though).

I think it's this plus the fact that due to the armor the actors can't hold long guns like rifles correctly. The Chief holds his AR at a very strange angle when firing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sammus posted:

Its a super mixed bag. Sometimes the CGI looks awesome, other times it’s total poo poo. Then there are the inconsistencies like a minigun being worthless against covenant shields unless a spartan is carrying it.

I couldn't figure that out at all either. I'm just like "why are the guns working all of a sudden?"

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Darko posted:

I couldn't figure that out at all either. I'm just like "why are the guns working all of a sudden?"

Because of bad writers/director.

The whole trope of bad guys slaughtering good guys while barely taking a scratch is so lazy. It just makes the losing side (that we do not give a gently caress about because the show is 5 minutes old at this point) seem incompetent.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Darko posted:

I just took it to mean the Spartan AR and other weapons were more powerful than the makeshift rifles the insurgents were using. Doesn’t explain the mini gun though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

shootforit posted:

I just took it to mean the Spartan AR and other weapons were more powerful than the makeshift rifles the insurgents were using. Doesn’t explain the mini gun though.

Yeah, I thought that at first but the Spartans used the minigun and another weapon someone else had, I think and I was just super confused.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
UNSC guns are up-calibered a bit in cannon but not to the point that standard 5.56 and 7.62x39 wouldn't work after a few more shots. Iirc the MA5B fires modern 308 ~somehow~. I think it's just sloppy writing/directing on the shows part. They should have shown the Innies doing some damage to the Elites. Spartans strength isn't in their firepower, it's in their training, armor, and well... strength.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
It's because he ripped it off its mount and used it badass style. Duh.

I did like how they portrayed the covenant as absolutely ruthless. The colony didn't stand a chance. I can suspend my disbelief enough that the Spartans armour and tech puts then at equal footing with the covenant - but I agree they overplayed their superpowers a bit when a plasma bolt implodes a human and just bounces off Chiefs shield.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

UNSC guns are up-calibered a bit in cannon but not to the point that standard 5.56 and 7.62x39 wouldn't work after a few more shots. Iirc the MA5B fires modern 308 ~somehow~. I think it's just sloppy writing/directing on the shows part. They should have shown the Innies doing some damage to the Elites. Spartans strength isn't in their firepower, it's in their training, armor, and well... strength.

Next you’re going to tell me that the pistols that one Spartan was using with extreme effectiveness are just your standard .45 acp.

That’s some super sloppy writing, and doesn’t bode well for the future.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
They were using the Halo CE pistol, everybody knows it is overpowered

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tighclops posted:

They were using the Halo CE pistol, everybody knows it is overpowered

:hmmyes:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The main difference with UNSC ammunition is that they widely adopted FMJ rounds for better armour penetration against shields. Doesn't explain the minigun.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Darko posted:

Well the colonists were using AKs, which are literally 400 years old in this setting.

I also thought the genre-aware minigun was hilarious.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I sort of fell off the Halo games after Halo 2; was there ever a human female collaborator with the Covenant in the games? I don’t remember that at all. For the sake of artistic license and not syncing up totlaly with the game lore, i’m fascinated to see where they go with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gonz posted:

I sort of fell off the Halo games after Halo 2; was there ever a human female collaborator with the Covenant in the games? I don’t remember that at all. For the sake of artistic license and not syncing up totlaly with the game lore, i’m fascinated to see where they go with that.

No, she's a new invention. I don't know what the point of her is and she just looks goofy as hell.