Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Spartan I’s exist but they’re just normal soldiers with rudimentary physical enhancements. Sgt. Johnson, for example is a Spartan I. It was a proof of concept program done by Halsey to convince the UNSC and ONI to let her start the Spartan II program.

Oh yeah sorry, I meant more along the lines of, “What? No! Spartan I’s totally don’t exist. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Spartan I was the rebranding of Project ORION from the 23rd century. Halsey had nothing to do with ORION but the program was posthumously branded as Spartan I to acknowledge the program's existence and the breakthroughs they achieved that helped make SII possible.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Spartan IIIs were also the orphans from planets glassed by the Covenant, so their willingness to become suicidal super soldiers was deeply rooted.

There were a ton of S-IIIs compared to IIs and they weren't as expensive or useful so they were used on suicide missions a lot.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I watched like the first half of the first episode before leaving to work and I could practically predict everything that happens plot-wise, the aliens were like the default :effort: sci-fi enemies. I don't know anything about the game so I don't know if there is more behind all of it, should I keep watching? It seemed like "Mom I want the Expanse" "We have the Expanse at home" right down to the haircuts...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SpartanIvy posted:

Spartan IIIs were also the orphans from planets glassed by the Covenant, so their willingness to become suicidal super soldiers was deeply rooted.

There were a ton of S-IIIs compared to IIs and they weren't as expensive or useful so they were used on suicide missions a lot.

Alpha and Beta company SIIIs are nearly all dead. Noble Team members were pulled from A and B companies before their suicide missions, along with a few other SIIIs in the Headhunters program Beta 5 security details and Noble Team and other SPECWARCOM army ranger teams.

There's also Delta company SIIIs who are still active but there's no exact numbers for their survivors. They've got additional highly illegal augmentations to increase their aggressiveness in combat and numb their pain receptors. They need to take combat drugs called smoothers to keep from going on psychotic episodes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Anita Dickinme posted:

Oh yeah sorry, I meant more along the lines of, “What? No! Spartan I’s totally don’t exist. :ssh:

Ah, gotcha.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://twitter.com/mrstevenkane/status/1528825746361225216?s=20&t=YcwLg4fzyoBSUwWgFzH54A

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

This kind of wirework seems like (when it all goes perfectly and is completely safe) it's incredibly fun to do as a stunt actor.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Those… those were real people? :stare:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

OK they officially have too much money and will be cancelled for this but that looked like a lot of fun to film.

RIP to the actors having to wear those plastic body suits in the desert

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They got a season 2 already though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

This kind of wirework seems like (when it all goes perfectly and is completely safe) it's incredibly fun to do as a stunt actor.

Yeah I was thinking either that's super fun or super terrifying.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Arc Hammer posted:

Alpha and Beta company SIIIs are nearly all dead. Noble Team members were pulled from A and B companies before their suicide missions, along with a few other SIIIs in the Headhunters program Beta 5 security details and Noble Team and other SPECWARCOM army ranger teams.

There's also Delta company SIIIs who are still active but there's no exact numbers for their survivors. They've got additional highly illegal augmentations to increase their aggressiveness in combat and numb their pain receptors. They need to take combat drugs called smoothers to keep from going on psychotic episodes.

They were basically designed to be school shooters. Spartan IIIs as a program are hosed up, no matter how you cut it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So what type of Spartans are the ones we see in the show? II?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Zotix posted:

So what type of Spartans are the ones we see in the show? II?

Correct. They are the ‘godly’ Spartans. All of them chosen because of their genetic compatibility with the planned augmentations and indoctrinated from the age of six. The are the smartest, fastest, strongest and the most tall. Their like will never be seen again.

Spartan IIIs are created using a highly refined augmentation protocol that is less invasive and mostly injections. It also has a near 100% success rate, unlike the Spartan II protocol which had a massive attrition rate. As mentioned, they are also neurological altered for aggression and sociopathy. They are all war orphans and taken right off of the ships meant to take them from the war zone to a orphanage. They may ‘volunteer’, but none of them were going to leave that planet alive unless it was as a super soldier. They were just fire and forget weapons meant for suicide weapons. They didn’t even get power armor.

The Spartan IVs are actual adult volunteers pulled from UNSC forces. Since they are post puberty, the augmentation process is technically more invasive since all their organs get scooped out and replaced with genetically engineered clone organs. Even their gut bacteria is optimized. They have to relearn how to walk, but the process is 100% effective. Arguably, the IVs are made just strong enough to safely utilize the Mjolnir armor. I forgot to mention that Mjolnir armor with pulverize anybody without ceramic laced bones.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

Correct. They are the ‘godly’ Spartans. All of them chosen because of their genetic compatibility with the planned augmentations and indoctrinated from the age of six. The are the smartest, fastest, strongest and the most tall. Their like will never be seen again.

Spartan IIIs are created using a highly refined augmentation protocol that is less invasive and mostly injections. It also has a near 100% success rate, unlike the Spartan II protocol which had a massive attrition rate. As mentioned, they are also neurological altered for aggression and sociopathy. They are all war orphans and taken right off of the ships meant to take them from the war zone to a orphanage. They may ‘volunteer’, but none of them were going to leave that planet alive unless it was as a super soldier. They were just fire and forget weapons meant for suicide weapons. They didn’t even get power armor.

The Spartan IVs are actual adult volunteers pulled from UNSC forces. Since they are post puberty, the augmentation process is technically more invasive since all their organs get scooped out and replaced with genetically engineered clone organs. Even their gut bacteria is optimized. They have to relearn how to walk, but the process is 100% effective. Arguably, the IVs are made just strong enough to safely utilize the Mjolnir armor. I forgot to mention that Mjolnir armor with pulverize anybody without ceramic laced bones.

Every new thing I learn about Spartans in Halo is like that Red Letter Media video where Mike and Rich read Darth Vader's Wookiepiedia page and just end up pissing themselves laughing in terms of "This awesome iconic stoic badass you enjoy seeing actually lives a life of unending physical and mental hell. You should wish for their death. It would be a mercy for them."

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Other Halo fans might not agree, but I hope they don't go down the route of introducing sudden new Spartan typeswith the show. Introducing them in Reach or whenever seemed like just an awkward way of retconning in a bunch of new characters and was confusing. There's alot of backstory they can mine out of the regular Spartans if they're sticking to a story about them.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Isometric Bacon posted:

Other Halo fans might not agree, but I hope they don't go down the route of introducing sudden new Spartan typeswith the show. Introducing them in Reach or whenever seemed like just an awkward way of retconning in a bunch of new characters and was confusing. There's alot of backstory they can mine out of the regular Spartans if they're sticking to a story about them.

I’m not hoping for much. This show is about John Halo but wouldn’t mind at all an episode with Noble Team backing up silver team or something.

Or like I said earlier in the thread just an acknowledgment to Jorge for destroying covvie corvette and celebration going off in the command room for a few moments before the armada jumps into the atmosphere.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Its interesting how the show seemed to veer back and forth on how much Kai and then the other two Spartans come to the forefront. The show is mostly John, but it felt like they were keeping the option open of transitioning into something more of an ensemble story of Silver team's adventures fighting the Covenant.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know if this is where they are going with it, but was this whole season really just a setup for why Chief starts out as a mostly personality-less robotic soldier when the first game opens? There are enough deviations to where I can't really tell if that's what they're trying to convey or what.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

No

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Every new thing I learn about Spartans in Halo is like that Red Letter Media video where Mike and Rich read Darth Vader's Wookiepiedia page and just end up pissing themselves laughing in terms of "This awesome iconic stoic badass you enjoy seeing actually lives a life of unending physical and mental hell. You should wish for their death. It would be a mercy for them."

haha what video i wanna see the wookiepedia review.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

nine-gear crow posted:

Vader was a mistake and every piece of Star Wars media that lessens his supposed coolness is doing a vital service.

Spartans similarly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Khanstant posted:

haha what video i wanna see the wookiepedia review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo

Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center.

On the topic of Spartans being nightmare agony fuel, the weirdest part is how the Eric Nylund books (that are the most in-depth look at the SII and SIII training programs) play them completely straight and have basically zero characters question the ethics of child soldiers. You really don't get people pointing out just how hosed up Spartans are until you get to Karen Traviss's Kilo-5 novels, which most people didn't read because it's Karen "Talifans" Traviss.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 24, 2022

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo

Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center.

On the topic of Spartans being nightmare agony fuel, the weirdest part is how the Eric Nylund books (that are the most in-depth look at the SII and SIII training programs) play them completely straight and have basically zero characters question the ethics of child soldiers. You really don't get people pointing out just how hosed up Spartans are until you get to Karen Traviss's Kilo-5 novels, which most people didn't read because it's Karen "Talifans" Traviss.

I have no idea what else Karen Travis has written or done but the Kilo5 novels are really good. If anyone out there cares about the Halo universe and hasn't read them, they're doing themselves a disservice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SpartanIvy posted:

I have no idea what else Karen Travis has written or done but the Kilo5 novels are really good. If anyone out there cares about the Halo universe and hasn't read them, they're doing themselves a disservice.

Karen Traviss wrote the tie-in novels for Star Wars: Republic Commando, as well as the Gears of War novels and the script for Gears of War 3. People don't like her for writing Jedi as fascist baby snatchers and for introducing breeding camps into Gears of War so humanity could try to repopulate during and following the genocidal Locust War.

She's also got a hyper fixation on soldier societies and most of her books feature characters who feel that soldiers and warriors should control their own fates rather than be subservient to any authority that demands they fight die for a political cause. She got very aggressive in online debates with her detractors during her tenure writing for Star Wars and ended up having a published slap fight with another Star Wars author, Troy Denning, where they kept trying to sabotage each other's books and kill off their pet characters.

Denning now also writes Halo novels.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 24, 2022

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TheKirbs posted:

Vader was a mistake and every piece of Star Wars media that lessens his supposed coolness is doing a vital service.

Spartans similarly.

Wrong

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Only the games are canon and as a result Chief dies falling off that slim bridge almost immediately after landing on halo

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

oh man remember when chief pushed a warthog full of marines right off a cliff? all he had to do was punch the warthog a few times and weeeee, off those poor men went into the blue void.

pretty hosed up.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Let's be honest for what he did* John Halo deserves to get his dick sucked every day.

*exterminating kwan's family

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
ITS FUNNY HES CALLED THE MASTER CHEIEF BECAUSE ACTUALLY HE IS A SLAVE

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

born on a colony
wakened in a cave
fightin and fuckin is all he craves

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

This stuff looks cooler than the Unreal Tournament map that Master Chief was fighting in

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I wonder if they'll have things smoothed out enough by season 2 to depict something like the fall of reach without it looking hokey and small.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Tom Guycot posted:

I wonder if they'll have things smoothed out enough by season 2 to depict something like the fall of reach without it looking hokey and small.

Do bear in mind this show is based on a game that had 5 people in attendance at a ceremony to mark the end of a decades long space war.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Arc Hammer posted:

On the topic of Spartans being nightmare agony fuel, the weirdest part is how the Eric Nylund books (that are the most in-depth look at the SII and SIII training programs) play them completely straight and have basically zero characters question the ethics of child soldiers.

I am convinced Eric was writing to vent off from his 9/11 angers, and apparently he thinks literal child soldiers to kill brown people-sorry, aliens-is not objectionable or bad at all. Why? Because amerikkka is a hell of a drug.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The backstory of the Halo universe is exactly the future history you'd expect an affluent white kid whose entire conception of global politics is "murica good, everyone else bad" to come up with in the late 90s and early 00s

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
where's my Mass Effect movie

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Yeah, it's not like until 3 or 4 books in that some writers are like "wait...the Spartans were created to crush colonial rebellions, but we let it slide because they are super good at killing the genocidal aliens?" Retroactive justification is carrying a lot of water for war criminals in the Halo-verse.

Chief Mendez, the lead drill instructor of the Spartan IIs from day one, is often described as this tough but lovable old soldier that really cared for the child soldiers and was only hard on them so they would survive. The first time we meet him he literally zaps a six year old with a cattle prod. Come to think of it, when the lil' Spartans do their first wilderness survival field training, the instructors guarding the Pelican they have to capture are openly chatting about how they enjoy shooting children with rubber bullets and poo poo. I think Nylund's decision there was to make the reader not feel bad for these guys getting they utter poo poo kicked out of them, but he just kinda confirmed that the UNSC was selecting sociopaths at Spartan instructors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mister Speaker posted:

where's my Mass Effect movie

Don't worry Amazon is making a show.