Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 34 40.48%
No 50 59.52%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Not legalizing allows Texas police to decide who they want to put charges on vs who they don't. I truly believe this is part of the reason many places keep these laws around.

Hell that dumb Kennedy kid in MA was arguing against legalization because it made weed smell not useful to police during stops to justify a search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

RFC2324 posted:

I just have to ask, was "that dumb Kennedy kid in MA" Justice Kennedy?

Joe Kennedy III

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/03/30/25976878/the-great-white-nope-joe-kennedy-iii-disqualifies-himself

Article quotes an interview with Ezra Klein, (bolding mine):

quote:

JOE KENNEDY III: So this one, um, this one’s a tough one for me. My views are not do not exactly line up with my own state and it’s something I’m struggling with. I think, look, there’s—when it comes to legalization of marijuana, if that’s something that society has decided that we want to do, fine. I think we’ve got to be really careful about what exactly that means and how we do it. So, we decriminalized it when I was in the court system, when I was trying cases, or shortly thereafter, if I remember the years right, in Massachusetts. When we decriminalized it it actually had a pretty big consequence for the way that Massachusetts prosecutors went about trying cases in terms of—because an odor of marijuana was, at last initially, because marijuana was an illegal substance, if you smelled it in a car, you could search a car. When it became decriminalized you couldn’t do that. So that was the way that we hadn’t—the base case that prosecutors used to search cars for under cover contraband, guns, knives, a whole bunch of other stuff, all of that got thrown out the window. That’s not to say that’s right or wrong, but that is to say that when that went through a public referendum, which is how that law was passed, I don't think anybody had much though to you’re actually gonna change one of the foundational principles for law enforcement that we use in our court system.

2 years later he reversed his position shortly before another election cycle and lost. His position change I believe was entirely due to polling.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Prison industries is my guess.

E: and everything the above post said

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/exxon-signals-record-quarterly-profit-oil-gas-prices-2022-04-04/?utm_source=reddit.com

quote:

HOUSTON, April 4 (Reuters) - Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM.N) on Monday said its first-quarter results could top a seven-year quarterly record, with operating profits from pumping oil and gas alone of up to $9.3 billion.

A snapshot of the largest U.S. oil company's quarter ended March 31 showed operating profits from oil and gas, its biggest unit, could jump by as much as $2.7 billion over the prior quarter's $6.6 billion.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/notcapnamerica/status/1511506929570521088?s=20&t=3ODUfR5Omb1FPDX01C7Gnw

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hahah geez

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Like I didn't mean to be That rear end in a top hat to correct you, as I saw that earlier in the day and was like HEY WAT

but the truth of the matter is just as funny - HOW do you botch that so loving bad? HOW DO YOU DO THAT

But Mandel is loving scum marching on the Pettis bridge and saying MLK WOULD LOVE ME so there's that

Oh yeah no worries, I wasn't too surprised to find out it wasn't what it seemed. And yeah, dudes a real POS.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cool https://twitter.com/SamTLevin/status/1512109658432888840?s=20&t=OBUFDFYyeIIHI-VEJrhWdQ

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I think I posted it before but if you can get your head around enjoying Michael Jackson's music then you can watch a video from Beau and get something out of it (if you want).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Midjack posted:

I could totally believe members of devgru were inside the Capitol building that day. Maybe not in an official capacity.

Participating one way or another

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

New Technical just dropped

https://twitter.com/PopularFront_/status/1514596580061589510?s=20&t=GhRDqnuF7LhUaW5uFST-Rg

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ok seriously what's the deal with the glowing dick thingy because that's a new one for me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jones is malicious, self centered, cunning and charasmatic. You don't need one iota of actual intelligence to be halfway successful if you have all of that together and are a straight white male who gives no fucks about consequences or repercussions. Our whole society is basically designed to cater to that at present.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Elviscat posted:

The ammo companies have figured out that they can keep production steady and fleece buyers every time a Dem gets elected too, rather than increasing production to meet demand, Winchester's profits quintupled to $120M last quarter, for example.

It's mostly this.

Getting into firearms a few years ago really opened my eyes to just how volatile guns and ammo markets are and 100% of it is driven by paranoia and herd behavior. It's amazingly easy to see coming. Really getting into grifting your average right winger has to be one of the lowest effort / highest reward things there is to do.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

lightpole posted:

It looked like his (ex?) Wife didn't want anything to do with him. Pretty sure she's not a spy and doesn't deserve to be tainted with that.

Didn't he meet a guy in Russia then introduced him to his wife not long after that?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wait you mean Fox and all the GOP talking heads calling trans allies groomers was going to have consequences?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kind of a neat thread imo on someone coming to grips with how bad social media is.

https://twitter.com/CSMFHT/status/1517821019666673664?s=20&t=wULO-Z7w6boYkDdfrk0mfw

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

lmao so the dems decided to not run someone so a Republican could run against another Republican?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

In 2018, a Democratic wave year, Romney won his seat 62-31. It's a PVI R+13 state, roughly equivalent to Tennessee and Alabama. Democrats aren't competing in that Senate race, even in a Democratic wave year, and 2022 ain't gonna be that with Biden in power. Republicans are running an incumbent, not the next coming of Roy Moore.

It's fine.

Hey yeah let the GOP know in advance to spend the money elsewhere I guess.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

He did it again

https://twitter.com/JoeBrunoWSOC9/status/1518999365574139904?s=20&t=cSj_RavnxHj75Hyqd-QzVQ

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dog god Monty for moderator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Verily, the most vile sight in the eyes of Allah are those who would pave Paradise and put up a parking lot