Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 34 40.48%
No 50 59.52%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1511447601912160262?s=20&t=UTCFM90wEE8tVPBXoC1QWA

Hell yeah Irish Joe, gonna support M4A...no, okay, gonna do something about prescription drug prices...no, okay gonna do anything...oh this was you today...

https://twitter.com/OrganizingPow3r/status/1511443762475638788?s=20&t=UTCFM90wEE8tVPBXoC1QWA

Yeah, he keeps talking the talk but cannot walk the walk. And its transparent as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

Ah, I couldn't find anything regarding the context of this earlier:

https://twitter.com/NotJoshBlackman/status/1511841508370141184?t=rD3rnpFeBTw5FklwgtzEGA&s=19

Yet again, if postal inspectors are involved, you're hosed

Apparently the backstory is someone assaulted a postal worker, and then during the investigation, two guys lied about being DHS agents investigating 1/6.

And here we are.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

maffew buildings posted:

uhhhh covid is over china apparently didn't get the memo, nothing to worry about, literally never been an instance of what's happening there catching up here

This appears to be a result of the 'Zero Covid' stuff China pulled and it apparently backfired.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

That’s a good way to absolutely demolish your knees.

Military.txt

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Soylent Pudding posted:

Just saw on the news a judge struck down plane and train mask mandates?

A Federalist judge.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BUG JUG posted:

I was literally on a flight when the pilots announced it and there was a lot of cheering and mask removal. :/

Yeah I'm avoiding airlines like the plague.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
TSA still makes you take off your shoes, but a plague is just a passe thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

Turns out that is not a phrase that has any meaning.

Used to mean something, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That Works posted:

It's mostly this.

Getting into firearms a few years ago really opened my eyes to just how volatile guns and ammo markets are and 100% of it is driven by paranoia and herd behavior. It's amazingly easy to see coming. Really getting into grifting your average right winger has to be one of the lowest effort / highest reward things there is to do.

Yeah its been fun getting back into firearms because its practically a scam market at this point: Markups on ammo and firearms is crazy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

Come join us in the 3d printing thread. Decent resin printer set up is a few hundred to start, then you can print entire armies for less than a fancy dinner.

Edit: Tyranids only want you for your body.

Yeah 3D printing is the one tool I will never give up at this point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

They can be a real pain in the rear end to maintain but a 3D printer should be considered a must have for homeowners imo

I mainly just print functional stuff but I’ve been able to repair plastic bits that are sometimes impossible to buy

yup! I 3D printing functional replacements for legacy Audi parts and also make molds for them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

lmao the newest nuclear plant in the US took 43 years from groundbreaking to power generation, there's no way we'll see more nuclear here in our lifetimes.

We likely will. SMRs are huge right now, and if Votgle's lessons are carried forward, we can likely speed up.

Its not that we can't do it, we can.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i am slightly amused though that despite B&W (or various component parts of it that are now separate companies via some sorta complex corporate maneuvering) being involved in the aforementioned rapid reactor production program, they're also known for profoundly failing to sell their commercial SMR system to like, anyone, and are trying to jettison that part of the company like, well, nuclear waste

Because their SMRs are not innovating on anything. GE and others have massively innovated and are working on truly modular SMR designs.

Midjack posted:

The technology has never been what was stopping the United States from building more civilian nuclear power.

Trust me, I am aware. We're too busy pulling a Germany and screaming about our nuclear plants being dangerous while we double down on Fossil Fuel generation.

Elviscat posted:

Babcock & Wilcox's reactor designs have always sucked massive rear end anyways.

The AP1000 is such a great reactor design, passive cooling from 100% power to infinite grace? loving sign me up, build a million of them fuckers.

I've often lamented that there's over a dozen nuclear reactors within 20 miles of me at any given time, and none of them put electricity on the grid. 12 AP1000s could supply 1/3 of California's entire electric consumption.

12 AP1000s would likely exceed half of their total yearly demand, which is about ~260 TWh/yr. A single AP1000 does about 10TWhr/yr. 12 of them would be about 120 TWh/yr.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 21, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

How much fuel would that consume, and how long could that fuel be supplied vs proven ore reserves?

Depends. We can produce more fuel if we have breeders. That's practically inexhaustible with a Breeder. As it is, with just Uranium we have, we could easily do 250+ years. But we can always re-enrich and breed spent fuel and keep fueling reactors off that.

Plus sourcing Uranium from sea water, or Thorium reactors in the future.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah the Bankruptcy judge is probably going to be furious.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ASAPI posted:

The MTG testimony is wild. They ask her if she said/wrote something, she tries to dodge around, then they play a video or show the tweet. I also think the judge doesn't like her very much.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?519623-1/rep-marjorie-taylor-greene-testifies-administrative-hearing

Yeah they are playing back Newsmax interviews with her. She really didn't expect these Right Wing news shows to be used as evidence.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

It really won't amount to much, because the whole lawsuit's probably in the wrong place, and the slippery slope is made of KY Jelly because:

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1517570872306978816?t=Rw4aM7R0i8DYMOL3ogcDbQ&s=19

But still enjoy it as entertainment! :toot:

Edit: Incidentally, the same thing got tossed in Arizona:

https://twitter.com/stephen_richer/status/1517553671671754752

Oh yeah, I'm under no pretenses that anything will happen. Otherwise we'd have already done something.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

this is going to accelerate twitter's slide into irrelevance faster than @jack's continued leadership would've

3 months of being known for "that place [even more] full of nazis and abusers" and everybody who isn't a massive piece of poo poo will finally move on

i'm saying i'm going to hand it to elon and no i don't care about the dril tweet

Yeah a lot of my infosec friends are jumping ship, and its likely I will as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i'd like to point out elon posted pissing and moaning about possibly having to pay a little more tax and now is continuing to buy everything in sight

it's like the platonic ideal of a selfish rich person

Pissing and moaning so much he fled to Texas, in no way prompted by the racism lawsuits and OSHA findings, and is donating to GOP supporters.

Free speech, my rear end.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pantslesswithwolves posted:

There’s only one online community that’s tightly moderated and hasn’t been implicated in numerous terrorist plots or seditious activities, nor has it been weaponized by hostile foreign powers to undermine American society.

Return to my light, my children. You were always in my Top 8.

We were led astray!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

This popped out to me, and seems absolutely hilarious. Shouldn't they be pretty close in a properly working government?

They are probably close communication wise, but the entire point is to keep them separate for the most part for government continuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The Few. The Plague.