Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 34 40.48%
No 50 59.52%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/apr/01/po-ferries-criminal-investigations-launched-after-staff-sackings

P&O Ferries fired like 800 crew in the UK last month and has done everything they can to compound on their evil corporation status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Coast Guard tried to go with follicle testing over urinalysis for the merchant marine and companies shut it down immediately. Mostly due to the cost of testing but not one of them isn't worried about labor.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
That made me get distracted learning about Lew Wallace

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

I just dislike when they name them after minor figures I don’t know or care about. Who the gently caress is Carl Vinson?

Vinson was anything but minor to the USN?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Davos is an irrelevant conference where the rich but irrelevant go to hob nob and pretend they are relevant. Its mandatory for CEOs if their company is circling the drain (see Carly Fiorina).

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Disband all service academies

All the engineering nerds were like that at the Cal State I was at just for the cars and chance to interview. Its funny how 99% of their interns hated it and they still drew wannabes.

More to the point, yes.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

As near as I can tell what he did was Illegally help people who were already in country find otherwise normal jobs in violation of their Visa status, to include giving them rides to and from their workplaces. The fact that some of those people were women meant that the charges read as HUMAN TRAFFICKING WOMEN.

Now, if that's an incorrect read, I'm open to evidence to the contrary, but the details of the charges against him had me shrugging and wondering what the big deal was.

He's not, it's just that some of the people he helped were Russian. To be specific, just about everything he's ever produced is strongly anti-Putin.

He was never charged with human trafficking as far as I can tell, just a bunch of people here making things up.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yeah honestly it’s a win win situation for Pakistan (no coup and institutions working) and the US.

The army and ISI still retain a large amount of control unless something has changed recently so in effect, nothing has really changed. Khan lost the support of the generals.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

I don’t think Chinese politics work that way.

Xi is changing how Chinese politics work so this is a trick question

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Does the major belong to the sergeant? Or is it sergeants' major being the major belongs to multiple sergeants?

lightpole fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 11, 2022

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I've heard it both ways and seen it written both ways. I think if it's broadly plural, it's sergeants. Singular or individual, sergeant.

The full title would be sergeant major so the plural would be sergeant majors. Putting the plural at sergeants would indicate the major is separate or theres a comma (sergeants, major or major sergeants) if it was spoken. At least in English it would be a little funny to break it up like that.

Or at least that's how I would read it but I'm basically illiterate.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Bold assumption that English has to make any sense whatsoever, or actually have any kind of internal logical consistency.

It's sergeants major, and I'm angry I still know that.

I hate this language

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

Blame the French

They are stupid too and have random silent s in their words.

I tried to fight the system in elementary school and make the language make sense but I got in trouble and gave up.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Pluralize the noun not the adjectives

The shrimps are jumbo-sized
The shrimp are not jumbos

Sergeants, Major type, 1 ea.

I loving love hate English

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

piL posted:

I travel the world for hollumi; everybody's looking for rubing.

Some of them want the fondue. Some of them want Remoudou.

Some of them want Brocciu.

Some of them want Trou du Cru

OoooOOOOOooooOooo

Get your Herve
(eat esrom)
Get your Herve
(eat esrom)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Absolute bullshit probe. Our IK has gouda do better!

Kesper North posted:

You can talk about the plight of the Kurdish people here though

shame on an IGA posted:

no fuckin whey

Here to celebrate this coagulation of casien.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Well he is a Republican. Nearly all the alt right dudes have questionable Russian wives. (cervonich, posobiec, matze, and spencer off the top of my head)

It looked like his (ex?) Wife didn't want anything to do with him. Pretty sure she's not a spy and doesn't deserve to be tainted with that.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

"accusation" is generous, here's Madison's own account of how they met:

Cristina Bayardelle is a born and raised American as far as I can tell? I don't understand the spy thing at all.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Gross. Why would you do this to yourself?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
How is one central valley shithole different from any other?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Flikken posted:

Anyone heard anything about the student loan freeze, isn't it almost up again??

Extended to 8/31. I think they are trying to make it a permanent extension at this point but its mostly about buying time while they figure out a way for forgiveness.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

They're going to extend it until republicans win without actually cancelling it, because cancelling it would help them actually win while making their donors angry and they don't want that.

President doesn't have power to cancel but they have been working on increasing forgiveness as much as possible, as well as using the extensions. Canceling is with the legiature and Dems barely control the senate.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

They've been trying to cancel them but there is debate about the president having the ability to do so. In the meantime they have been using the extensions and expanding forgiveness a bunch. My preference is to expand schooling to 16 years with 13-16 in college or tech school. Just canceling them is good but what about the people that come after?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

drat if they forgive student loan debt this is going to be so unfair to everyone who paid theirs off such as boomers who got masters degrees when they cost $473 and you could still smoke around babies indoors in public

Already heard this multiple times. Also thats the anti intellectualism party so its not like they see fewer college grads and poorer education overall as a bad thing.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

This has always been my fear. Actually addressing the root of the problem seems to go completely unmentioned for sake of trumpeting the sexier debt cancellation, understandably, but, if debt cancellation goes forward on its own, I don't see the more foundational fix having any political legs until the next batch of debt-burdened students grows to sufficient size to be politically worth rescuing. College prices will continue to go wild because we'll keep shoveling money into a system that knows it can keep asking more.

I'm not making an argument against cancellation, just one for coupling it to a proper fix. And if no fix is possible, sure, let's get something rather than nothing.

This is where I'm at. So cancel debt but figure out a way to ensure at least two more years of schooling with preferably 4.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Irish Joe still owes me $600

If you qualified for every relief check you also got a note on the final one saying the initial $600 + the $1400 was the $2000.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

We can’t even cancel the student debt we have and you want to throw more hurdles in the way?

“We already paid so don’t cancel it” is now “they will have to pay so don’t cancel it”

I know this isn’t exactly what you’re saying but it’s still an lol-worthy pendulum swing.

Two sides of the same stupid coin.

Don’t couple it with poo poo. Just get it done ffs.

I mean you could actually discuss it but instead we get to

Proud Christian Mom posted:

They don't actually want to cancel student debt or address any of the other stuff they're pearl clutching over

So instead of considering it critically we just decide to put words in someone's mouth. This is a temporary bandaid that lasts until the next term and then what? Cancel the debt and then come up with free schooling.

This doesn't even address the "do anything at all because they haven't done anything" people that want to ignore everything because it didn't happen today. The deferments alone are worth ~$5500 on average so far.

Edit:

NM its pointless we are just going to argue about $600 forever cause Dems have lovely messaging.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Noone wants to forgo the tourniquet but it lasts until the next semester and then the cycle starts all over. Instead we have "do anything" and are upset when anything is done cause it wasn't enough.

bird food bathtub posted:

While their messaging is lovely compared to the right wing hatred propaganda machine, they aren't making it any easier on themselves when the foundation of their messaging is "better things aren't possible". Maybe if they spent an election or two saying "We fixed <thing> for you. Vote for us and we'll do more of that." they would have a much stronger, more resonant message.

If you don't like the better things aren't possible message then why wouldn't you support increased schooling for everyone with debt cancellation? The logic is baffling.

Cancellation benefits the rich to the greatest degree. Poor and minorities will struggle to get 2 years of extra education and borrow less while the debt will impact them more.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 27, 2022

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

I've been saying this for years glad Mittens agrees

Youre trolling right, this isn't real? The middle carries around $25k/family in debt, the bottom 0, the top ~$300K. While you give more to the bottom like this, you aren't necessarily improving their condition or wealth inequality, youre just giving money to the rich under the guise of populist policy. If you actually gave a poo poo about fairness or equality it would be better to give direct payments of some form.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I'll go with the general opinion of you and the thread and give 0 to the bottom and 300k to the top this is great.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I didn't care much about folk until the last 5-10 years or so, and I wound up there from listening to "alt-country" for over a decade prior. Drive-by Truckers are a gateway band.

I get bored with power chords and drum solos very easily. If I can hear something else in a song, an instrument that stands out from standard radio fare, I'll probably enjoy it more. Banjos are nice but a brass section is better, or the occasional woodwind, maybe a mandolin. I was listening to something the other day that had a flute solo (not folk, it was Anderson East's Drugs).

I was a band kid though, and loved when a show came backed with an orchestra. There's so much more detail and depth to the sound. Honestly, I encourage y'all to go see your local orchestra, preferably an outdoor show for now, somewhere you can just roll up in jeans and a t-shirt, and take it in. Close your eyes and just take it in.

Maybe take some shrooms or weed edibles if you're really anticipating boredom.

Banda is where its at.