Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think they're planning on doing a console one at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

they should do another network test

feel like playing gundams today tbh

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

moistcritikal, who I don't think is a particularly huge gundam fan, just posted a video of him playing and was very positive in his impressions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azp9T7kwrJ0

hopefully this draws in players beyond just the gundam fanbase. it seems pretty cool and there's so, so many suits they could include

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I think they're planning on doing a console one at some point.

gently caress them

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Stairmaster posted:

they should do another network test

not an emptyquote

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

already miss whiffing my heat hawks

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Not the same thing at all but this is having a network test starting tomorrow:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1367080/MOBILE_SUIT_GUNDAM_BATTLE_OPERATION_2/

Looks really bad but I'm gonna try it!!!!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

yergacheffe posted:

Not the same thing at all but this is having a network test starting tomorrow:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1367080/MOBILE_SUIT_GUNDAM_BATTLE_OPERATION_2/

Looks really bad but I'm gonna try it!!!!

As a longtime GBO2 player, its actually kind of a cool team based game that doesn't really have a whole lot like it out there. It's been out on consoles for years so there's an absolute shitload of cool Mobile suits in it (i think at least 200 at this point, and all from the UC, so there's a lot of awesome obscure poo poo. There's probably 15 variants of the zaku II alone.) And given how this game works with each suit having unique weapons loadouts, stats, and passive skills, even similar suits can play completely differently. Its f2p so there's no harm in checking it out.

one thing thats gonna be weird and probably turn off a lot of pc players however is that turn speed is actually a function of your mobile suit's stats (i.e. snipers and other supports usually have a slower turning speed, whereas generals and particularly raids, the melee focused subtypes, turn faster) which feels fine with a controller but probably feels much stranger with KBM.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

free hubcaps posted:

As a longtime GBO2 player, its actually kind of a cool team based game that doesn't really have a whole lot like it out there. It's been out on consoles for years so there's an absolute shitload of cool Mobile suits in it (i think at least 200 at this point, and all from the UC, so there's a lot of awesome obscure poo poo. There's probably 15 variants of the zaku II alone.) And given how this game works with each suit having unique weapons loadouts, stats, and passive skills, even similar suits can play completely differently. Its f2p so there's no harm in checking it out.

one thing thats gonna be weird and probably turn off a lot of pc players however is that turn speed is actually a function of your mobile suit's stats (i.e. snipers and other supports usually have a slower turning speed, whereas generals and particularly raids, the melee focused subtypes, turn faster) which feels fine with a controller but probably feels much stranger with KBM.

GBO2 has gacha systems right? How heavy is it in GBO2?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Revitalized posted:

GBO2 has gacha systems right? How heavy is it in GBO2?

It's gatcha based and definitely not worth spending money on. When I first started playing I thought it was pretty terrible but now, compared to the poo poo you see in a lot of gatcha games, I don't think its that bad. If you play ~3 matches a day you'll get a free spin and at 8 minutes a match its not much of a time investment; also the game is fairly good about giving out free tokens on holidays and the like (right now there are free weekly ten spins for the spring festival). The thing that really sucks about the gatcha imo is that it contains both mobile suits and weapons (each mobile suit has a Main and melee weapon, which can often but not always be swapped out for a small selection of other weapons- for instance, zaku variants can often choose between various types of zeonic machine guns and bazookas as their main ranged weapon) as well as an array of subweapons (in the case of zakus, usually things like crackers, sturm fausts, etc., which are "fixed" on each suit). So you can do a ten spin and end up just getting a bunch of beam sabers for suits you don't have, which kinda sucks.

so if youre after a particular suit that's in the gatcha, especially at this point with so much available it can be a long wait. You can also buy suits for DP (the normal currency) and recycle tickets (which you get for receiving duplicates in the gatcha.) suits usually show up in the DP store a year or so after they are released on gatcha, and in the recycle ticket shop a bit before that iirc. Many suits in the DP shop are gated behind player rank, which further limits your initial options but also gives you some actual reason to look forward to being promoted. (Hitting corporal is especially important cuz thats when you can start doing custom colors on your MS, i.e. the most crucial part of the game.)

tl;dr if you are a new player looking to grab a specific suit you'll probably either have to grind out rank or get lucky in the gatcha. There are still a whole bunch of good suits available to new players though and the balance in game is generally pretty good.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Is this where we're going to talk about GBO's network test or is it going to get its own thread? It doesn't seem to be working quite yet, they've already mentioned the stuff that'll be available and I'm super stoked to try blue destiny if I can get in. I think they've already said the data's going to be wiped too in regards to the gacha.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Nuebot posted:

Is this where we're going to talk about GBO's network test or is it going to get its own thread? It doesn't seem to be working quite yet, they've already mentioned the stuff that'll be available and I'm super stoked to try blue destiny if I can get in. I think they've already said the data's going to be wiped too in regards to the gacha.

Looks like an old GBO thread surfaced here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901276

free hubcaps posted:

Lots of words

Thanks for the impressions! I'll be trying it out cause I'm jonesing for more guntanking.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://gundamevolution.com/news/40

Console Network Test forthcoming. No date yet. Will not have any balance adjustments.

For some reason, at the end, they encourage people to watch IBO (which is free online) to become more familiar with Barbatos.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Revitalized posted:

For some reason, at the end, they encourage people to watch IBO (which is free online) to become more familiar with Barbatos.

Lol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Advance warning that Barbatos will brutally murder you.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Dev Blog Update vol.3
https://gundamevolution.com/news/42

Dev talks about some of their observations regarding mobile suit balancing from the network test.

The dev addresses Barbatos, Turn A, Marasai, and GM Sniper II

Top 3 win rates were
1. Barbatos
2. Sazabi
3. Pale Rider

Turn A and Marasai were intended by the dev team to be counters- Turn A's Judo throw and Marasai's stun whip were both supposed to counter melee attackers.

The blogpost mentions briefly what they intend to change based on current data, but it sounds like they want to see the console data first before making any decisions.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

They're hitting all the things that I felt were issues, and the Barbatos section reads like they're going to light touch it at most. Feeling good that they know what they're doing.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Revitalized posted:

Dev Blog Update vol.3
https://gundamevolution.com/news/42

Dev talks about some of their observations regarding mobile suit balancing from the network test.

The dev addresses Barbatos, Turn A, Marasai, and GM Sniper II

Top 3 win rates were
1. Barbatos
2. Sazabi
3. Pale Rider

Turn A and Marasai were intended by the dev team to be counters- Turn A's Judo throw and Marasai's stun whip were both supposed to counter melee attackers.

The blogpost mentions briefly what they intend to change based on current data, but it sounds like they want to see the console data first before making any decisions.

The Turn A was supposed to counter Barbatos?! Did they actually watch anyone playing the game at any point?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Vizuyos posted:

The Turn A was supposed to counter Barbatos?! Did they actually watch anyone playing the game at any point?

you'll never guess what the point of a playtest is

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The Marasai ability activation speed was definitely one of the things that (to me) didn't feel good. I also feel the same way about RX-78's hammer to a lesser degree, except the RX-78 isn't useless if he whiffs.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

free hubcaps posted:

you'll never guess what the point of a playtest is

yeah, so it's a bit weird that their takeaway is that people just didn't realize what they were supposed to use the judo throw for

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, their takeaway is that they as the developers failed to get across that they were intended to be counters because they felt bad in general to use so players did not use them very often and did not get a sense of their purpose.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think their apparent hesitance to buff Marasai's rifle is a bit lame, since even with the hook improvement it's still a more niche version of Gundam. It doesn't need a worse rifle as well.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

I mean they do have to be careful with Marasai's damage since landing a hook is already a kill on anyone 1000 HP or less. Though since the Turn A is the only 1100 unit maybe that's an acceptable sacrifice.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Vizuyos posted:

yeah, so it's a bit weird that their takeaway is that people just didn't realize what they were supposed to use the judo throw for

which is why theyre buffing every single part of the ability, so that its actually fit for purpose. playtests are where 'developer design' meets 'actual player use'. resolving these things is the point

it was pretty obviously intended to be a counter for melee stuff, since it was a melee stun, and stuns tended to completely shut down barbatos. it was just poo poo at doing that because it came out so slow, and the whiff penalty was lethal

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Those notes don't fill me with confidence because they don't actually seem to grasp why the Barbatos is so overwhelming if they think that it's a matter of "oh the counter suits just need to have their counters tweaked slightly". It doesn't have to commit to anything because its kill combo is so fast and it has such insane mobility that no one has *time* to deploy countermeasures against it.

I'm not actually sure how either of those suits, even in their buffed forms, are intended to provide counterplay to Barbatos. At no point is a semi-canny Barbatos player ever going to approach either of those suits in a way that they can deploy short ranged stun abilities against it. It's going to ambush from around a corner, from behind, or from above with a fully charged stun and instantly kill combo them, and if it whiffs the stun it's going to instantly loving fly away at ten thousand miles per hour with its super jump.

Those buffs to the Turn A grab are going to be much more powerful against suits like Sazabi and GM then against Barbatos.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 28, 2022

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Unhappy Meal posted:

I mean they do have to be careful with Marasai's damage since landing a hook is already a kill on anyone 1000 HP or less. Though since the Turn A is the only 1100 unit maybe that's an acceptable sacrifice.

Yeah, I initially thought I'd see much more Marasai combos than I did. I whiffed a lot with it though so I suppose that made sense.

Kanos posted:

I'm not actually sure how either of those suits, even in their buffed forms, are intended to provide counterplay to Barbatos. At no point is a semi-canny Barbatos player ever going to approach either of those suits in a way that they can deploy short ranged stun abilities against it. It's going to ambush from around a corner, from behind, or from above with a fully charged stun and instantly kill combo them, and if it whiffs the stun it's going to instantly loving fly away at ten thousand miles per hour with its super jump.

They did mention reducing it's dash speed possibly, but I don't think that's going to change much. I'm not sure how you would actually offer counterplay to Barbatos.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Revitalized posted:

Yeah, I initially thought I'd see much more Marasai combos than I did. I whiffed a lot with it though so I suppose that made sense.

They did mention reducing it's dash speed possibly, but I don't think that's going to change much. I'm not sure how you would actually offer counterplay to Barbatos.

I spent a little time with Marasai because I was hoping for robot-Roadhog, but Marasai's hook takes ages to actually fire and travels relatively slowly, so it's really difficult to make a mid-range pick on anyone even slightly aware you're looking at them, and anyone up in your face is probably just going to kill you first before you can begin the hook-melee combo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I want to play more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/shinimomi/status/1519757392224813056?t=WzLuDwBS657GBQtjx96N3g&s=19

Quote tweet is the analytics of units and such

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

Quote tweet is the analytics of units and such

> “It seems unfair that Gundam Barbatos can be defeated using a single combo.”

what

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

quote:

”It seems unfair that Gundam Barbatos can be defeated using a single combo.”

What

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That has to be like a mistranslation of "It's unfair that the Barbatos can defeat you in a single combo"

Right?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I felt Barbatos was mostly fine and the data seems to support that. He's a unit that you have to focus down and punishes you if you don't hunt him down which to some can feel like a unit shouldn't warp how you play but to me its not different than making sure you shield break Sazabi or don't peak a Sniper to me.

By the end of the beta almost matches had people pinging out Sniper, Sazabi, Exia and Barbatos.

Kild fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 28, 2022

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ehh it feels worse than GM Sniper or needing a stunner for Sazabi, because you just get stunned and die helplessly and there's no decision making involved for the Barbatos's target. Like, you generally know what sightlines a Sniper is going to be covering, so if you decide to push that sightline anyway you're betting you can use your abilities and movement to counteract the Sniper's aim. If you get on top of a Sniper and he point blank flicks and kills you, it feels bad, but it's pretty difficult to hit a shot like that so it doesn't feel unfair.

With Barbatos, literally any corner can just have some dude sitting there waiting to dash into you and stunlock you, so it feels really bad in comparison - if someone on the other team is playing Barbatos you just have to stick with your team so that when the Barbatos inevitably kills one of you, your teammate gets the trade. Beyond the dashing charged right click there really isn't any aim involved in playing Barbatos either, if it gets close to you, which it is going to do, you just die. Exia doesn't feel nearly as unfair because at least the charge attack asks the Exia player to aim.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

As a self proclaimed Pale Rider main, 3rd surprises me, but tracks.

I think Barbados is strong, but he's not as bad as most make him out to be. Once I settled into the habit of not going where he might be unless I had at least one dash ready, the times I was caught were far, far more winnable than simply getting knocked down and beaten to death. I remember feeling like it was possible to 1v1 him if only I could hit every single headshot, but once my evasion became consistent I was happy to discover you only need a couple

E: I missed this game so much that I went back and rewatched my relive recordings instead of trying to get excited about overwatch 2

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

if gm sniper ii so good why no gm sniper iii

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

if gm sniper ii so good why no gm sniper iii

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Looks like a cop, no bueno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well why not gm sniper iiii