Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Also Desperados 3 and Blood Meridian and Divinity Original Sin 2 and Hitman and Westworld a dozen other influences all smooshed together.

I'm tired of clogging up the Steam thread so here's the the wiki article plus some images and videos and reviews, now pay me WolfEye

quote:

Weird West is a top-down action role-playing game with elements of the immersive sim genre, with randomized elements through each playthrough. The game is based on the Weird West genre it borrows its title from, in which the player takes the role of heroes in the American frontier who encounter supernatural elements. The game features the stories of five bounty hunters. The world is designed to be interactive and responsive to the player's action. For instance, when the player shoots at an ammo box, it will explode. Actions done by the player in the game are permanent, meaning that they cannot be undone through respawning. The game also features a permadeath mode in which the player character and their companions will die permanently. Actual gameplay is similar to that of a twin-stick shooter, with the team describing it as "action-y version of Fallout 1 or 2".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uEqRyJTayw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NS3lzv0Nw4

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/weird-west-review RPS liked it, "Weird West review: a breathtakingly reactive spin on classic Fallout"

It's by some folks behind Dishonored and Prey who left Arkane and went on to create WolfEye Studios. I don't know why they left but it's great to see them branching out and trying their hand at other genres. Anyway WW is a lot of fun and probably worth the $40 but that will depend on how much you like quicksaving and quickloading, because while stealth is perfectly viable there's always a cart full of TNT right next to a lit lantern and a bale of hay that will surely cause a chain explosion killing dozens of cannibals and set the tobacco fields on fire and cause the man you're trying to kill to run out of his room so you can shoot him, and of course you have to try that to see if it works. Most of the time it doesn't but the chaos of the interacting systems is always awesome to watch. BUT JOKE'S ON YOU because quickloading completely changes AI behavior and also sometimes relights lanterns you've turned off and moves the TNT barrel traps you've spent the last five minutes meticulously setting up. I think that's a bug because it doesn't happen all the time. Or maybe it's a feature, whatever. The game does need a good patch though.

Anyway, it's not my GOTY or anything, and the combat sux at first (though it gets a lot better as you get more guns and powers and get used to the aiming scheme, and you can pull off some slick moves) but I'm having a lot of fun just loving around with it. The story is pleasantly gruesome and the writing has some good moments and memorable characters. I hope it sells well because I'd like to see what else Wolfeye can do with this sort of physics setup but in a different setting.

On combat:

The Lone Badger posted:

If you want to be fully sick make sure to bind 'tactical mode' to something. Mouse thumb-button is good.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I've decided that my game is a series of grindhouse shorts. That was Cannibal Flesheaters From The Deep. Up next: Pigman With A Shotgun.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
They should definitely introduce you to Tactical Mode early on in this game. I was really not feeling the combat for a while, since there's all this neat elemental stuff and barrels and traps but every fight boiled down to "backpeddle while shooting desperately" since the enemies are both fast and bizarre in their reactions. Once you get the slowmo power and/or engage Tactical Mode though, I felt like I was actually engaging with the game a lot more and having a much better time.

This game gives me a lot of mixed feelings. On one hand, it's the Dark Tower/Deadlands game I always hoped for. On the other, I feel like there's a lot of time spent wrestling with their weird camera and interface choices. Trying to pick up individual objects can be a nightmare and having your vision blocked by a barn roof/mine support/mysterious darkness/etc can get exceptionally frustrating at times.

That said even though I'm playing this on gamepass I'll probably buy a copy because I really want to keep these weirdos in business.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I finished the game today. Loved the story and setting, and the gameplay was engaging for the first 5-6 hours. Worthy first effort for WolfEye, but the seams really start to show by the time you're on your 3rd character. Ended up just rushing the main quest with characters 3-5.

The procedural stuff is really shallow, unfortunately. Once you've seen one generic farm/mine/town/temple, you've seen 'em all. No real interesting rewards or secrets to be found, either. I'd recommend not bothering to explore any of the random locations that pop up as you travel. The main quest will eventually send you anywhere that's interesting. Buy a horse ASAP on each character to preserve your sanity by skipping all the random combat encounters while traveling.

Inventory management is also quite bad with the juggling you have to do between your character/posse/horse/bank. Sidestep that poo poo, don't bother gathering all the useless junk to sell, just steal from stores instead. Stealing pro-tip for what is essentially infinite money: Make sure to collect any nimp heads you find. You can sell nimp heads at clinics for 50 bucks each. Once they're sold, loiter to make it night, sneak in through a window and steal them back from the clinic's cabinet. Repeat as much as you want, takes maybe 20 seconds per cycle. I used the Grackle clinic, but I presume any would work.

Another tip that is a very minor mechanical spoiler: store inventories are preserved from character to character. So be careful about buying out stores too early. While you can get inventory items back by recruiting the previous character, ammo does not transfer over. So don't make the mistake I did, don't deplete a bunch of stores of their ammo because that ammo will be gone forever once you go to the next character and you'll have to trek to some godforsaken town on the edge of the map to find some arrows.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ammo seems to restock on a fairly short timer
I routinely buy all 50 rifle bullets that Grackle stocks.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Game is good, some babbies are waiting for a patch but I say dive right into and blow some outlaws up.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Ojetor posted:

Inventory management is also quite bad with the juggling you have to do between your character/posse/horse/bank. Sidestep that poo poo, don't bother gathering all the useless junk to sell, just steal from stores instead. Stealing pro-tip for what is essentially infinite money: Make sure to collect any nimp heads you find. You can sell nimp heads at clinics for 50 bucks each. Once they're sold, loiter to make it night, sneak in through a window and steal them back from the clinic's cabinet. Repeat as much as you want, takes maybe 20 seconds per cycle. I used the Grackle clinic, but I presume any would work.

I recommend doing this at the tailor's as they're easy to get into and you're likely to be sitting on a lot of bows and vests. By selling and stealing them back I was making a thousand dollars a pop by the end of chapter 1.

If it's a town with a lot of foot traffic at night, remember you can pop a rope down the chimney and get in undetected that way.

And yeah, gently caress the inventory management. Just let everything stack infinitely, you dev fucks!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

One disappointing thing is the dire lack of weapon variety. There are precisely two revolvers (one with more damage, one faster firing/more ammo), two rifles (same), two shotguns (same) and two bows (do you see the pattern yet).

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Will buy when the GOG version is available. I want to see more games from Raphaël Colantonio as long as he feels like making any.

Edit: Even if it's not a 10/10. Arx Fatalis wasn't either.

itry fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 6, 2022

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Aware posted:

Game is good, some babbies are waiting for a patch but I say dive right into and blow some outlaws up.

:yeah:

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
You know that kinda janky game that made simple things a little bit hard but it was just so drat addictive and rewarding anyway well this isn't that game but it's close.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

itry posted:

Edit: Even if it's not a 10/10. Arx Fatalis wasn't either.

You take that back!

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Man this game sucked. First two characters started off fun and ended okay but by the third I was very done.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

They need to boost shotgun range a lot imo, they seem useless.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

They need to boost shotgun range a lot imo, they seem useless.

Shotgun is a weapon to whip out when your revolver/rifle is out of ammo and someone gets in your face - switching is faster than reloading.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Aware posted:

You know that kinda janky game that made simple things a little bit hard but it was just so drat addictive and rewarding anyway well this isn't that game but it's close.

This review was playing with my hopes!

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

The Lone Badger posted:

Shotgun is a weapon to whip out when your revolver/rifle is out of ammo and someone gets in your face - switching is faster than reloading.

yep, it also has a serious knock back at point blank

the dodge move that all characters have that slows down time also just lets you shoot all your ammo without needing to actually reload so it make shotguns kind of amazing if you use it to jump toward enemies

I beat the game, really enjoyed it but I agree with everything Ojetor said (don't explore, just do the main quest, steal guns)

once the combat clicks I think it's a lot of fun even if it doesn't have mucb variety

could be more variety if all the moves didn't cost a quarter of your ap bar but I always had heaps of ap poys so maybe that's on me

I thought the story was good, the world was good, things were explained and the mysteries paid off nicely

that's pretty rare in games so this one gets a big tick from me

fun to play, good story, sticks the landing

I might even buy it and play it again

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Game is cool and good. But I am one of those babies waiting for the patch to drop before I get back into it. I think 1.1 should be out in about a week or so.

A lot of opinions about how game can get pretty repetitive, especially towards the end. Seems like sticking to the main path is good advice.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Does the story get better? I just finished chapter 1 and honestly a lot of the writing feels very broad and your quests and interactions with other characters rather shallow. Maybe I just need to play more to get a feel for the ramifications of my earlier choices for it to click?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Anyone tried it on console? For PC gamers, which feels better, KBM or controller?

This game has piqued my interest, especially that it’s by the devs behind Dishonored.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

PerilPastry posted:

Does the story get better? I just finished chapter 1 and honestly a lot of the writing feels very broad and your quests and interactions with other characters rather shallow. Maybe I just need to play more to get a feel for the ramifications of my earlier choices for it to click?

Nope

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

PerilPastry posted:

There's some reactivity, all characters get to make a big choice at the end of their storyline which then may change the state of the world for later characters. They're not huge differences, don't expect Witcher 2 branching paths or anything, but people will comment on what happened and some locations might change based on what you decided.

Anti-Hero posted:

Anyone tried it on console? For PC gamers, which feels better, KBM or controller?

KBM for sure. You can't toggle tactical mode with a controller and the game feels too fast for controller aiming to me. I might just be old and slow, tho :corsair:

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

I disagree. I wasn't feeling the story at the end of char 1 / start of char 2 but I enjoyed it by the end.

There's not heaps of reactivity but it certainly is there and there are choices that matter.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Ojetor posted:

KBM for sure. You can't toggle tactical mode with a controller and the game feels too fast for controller aiming to me. I might just be old and slow, tho :corsair:

Tactical mode is 100% awesome. It's slows everything down Fallout 4-VATS style and gives you time to pull off cool poo poo, like shooting dynamite out of the air.

in the way of things about the game NOT awesome, I really wish there was a notice that you were about to start the mission that ends your character's act. I finished up the final mission in the first act and didn't realize it, and I had to go back and load a game from before the mission to wrap up things I didn't finish. It wasn't a bad mission and I don't mind doing it twice, but a notice would have been nice.

best new bug: my horse keeps shouting PRAISE YEB

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 7, 2022

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

The Yeb praising horse thing isn't a bug. You interacted with an altar of Yeb at an Absolutist church and now your horse, as well as every other horse, has gone all weird west on you.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I don't remember doing that specifically, but that makes sense and if so, lol

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is the 'talk to ghosts' only for the rest of this character, or is it now permanently unlocked?

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

The Lone Badger posted:

Is the 'talk to ghosts' only for the rest of this character, or is it now permanently unlocked?

pretty sure it's a passenger thing, I definitely spoke to a random ghost on a later character

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I wish there was an option for turn-based combat.

Every part of the gameplay works for me until I'm fighting two or more people. There's just something awkward going on, partially due to the lack of visual feedback when you shoot, partially due to the fact that everything breaks down into chaos. Not the fun kind of chaos that introduces opportunites to do wild stuff in a way that plays off your toolkit. Just the bland "everyone is shooting and running straight at me and I'm not sure if my reload animation is finished or not" clusterfuck.

The controls also leave me cold. I like moving my character around with a controller, but aiming is sloppy. I can aim better with the mouse, but then character movement feels sloppy. Tactical mode is nice in theory, but even when the game is slowed down all the issues persist. My chances of survival go up but it still just feels like a mess.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'd like it if there was an option to lock the camera behind your character when aiming, spinning the camera when you move aim :(

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Finally got to the end of the bounty hunter and I wish there were more differences in the abilities of each character. I'm not seeing a lot to convince me to not just go stealth rifle again and nothing else.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

First patch hit. Mostly QoL stuff.

quote:

1.01 Changelog
* Your Horse now stops if it was moving while if you attempt to search their Saddlebags (and Saddlebags wont auto close if they restart moving for whatever reasons, but will still auto close if you move away from your Horse)
* You can now access your Companions and Horse inventory directly from the Shop UI to resell items directly from their inventory
* Wanderers now also buy Junk Items to give more opportunities to resell such items while on the road
* The game now cycle through 5 x Auto Save Slots instead of 3, so you can more easily backtrack through save files if needed
* Game Pass PC Build now uses 10 Manual Save Slots like on Xbox (up from 5) so it matches for Save Roaming between both platforms
* The Protector Journey Hero recruited as a Companion will no longer wrongly quit your Posse when receiving friendly fire
* Bolt-Action Forester Rifles now have their correct icon in the Weapon Wheel
* Fixed opening of the Shop UI sometimes wrongly auto selling a random item from Player inventory, if you pressed USE for too long when validating the choice "Browse Goods"
* Fixed crafting of items not dropping crafted item at Player's Feet if player's inventory was full
* Improved throwable weapons (eg dynamites etc) throw arc and speed so they are easier to use in combat and can easily be sent through door frames etc
* Decreased HOLD time on Scrap Weapon interaction to be standard HOLD interact time to make it less annoying to scrap multiple weapons in a row
* Added an option so that player can transfer at once all junk items from their inventory to a companion, horse or container inventory
* Fixed an issue with Keyboard+Mouse where you could not navigate the "Abilities" and "Perks" TAB of the Journal if you had used LMB on any of the Abilities or Perks
* Fixed one of the Heathen Travel Encounter not triggering on a specific story path
* Fixed Canker and Fighting Pit Sigil being wrongly destroyed when using a generic Sigil to access a secondary Temple (the fix is retroactive and if the bug happened already to you, you will re receive the missing Sigil upon entering the Fighting Pit/Canker or upon reloading a save in those locations)
* Made all Bounty Targets Intro Line non blocking so that player doesnt get derailed by a blocking conversation while fighting or sneaking on their target
* Made it so that if you return a handcuffed Bounty Target, they only have a low chance of later jail breaking and starting a vendetta against you (was previously 100% when it should have been 15%)
* Companions now auto use bandages they have in their inventory when their health drops below 40% (instead of the threshold being at 25%)
* Tuned distraction noise made by throwing props around so AIs will react to it from further away, allowing player more control over this system
* Fixed issue with abandoned mine sometimes not being correctly populated with Sirens when using Sirens Scenario
* Fixed Foliage/Bushes areas in Canyon Location to have less "holes" in them so player does not get surprised detected while walking hidden in the middle of a bush patch
* Fixed Weapon Shops Guards being pulled to guard banks in Town instead of staying inside the Weapon Shop (also solves Deputies being inside the locked ransacked Bank at beginning of the game)
* Added Loading Hint about Companions not requiring Ammo to use ranged weapons
* Fixed Easy Prey/Terror on the Trail side quests having their quest item disappearing if you entered the abandoned wagon location and re entered it prior to finding the item
* Fixed losing reputation when killing Ravenous at Galen's Crossing
* You can drop items from your inventory when browsing containers/NPCs inventory and opening your inventory side panel
* Fixed being able to bury companions in Olvidado's lair, resulting in not being able to access their corpse during the last Journey
* Fixed finding husband in Bounty Hunter Journey, without freeing him and then returning to Galen's Crossing and completing local objectives prematurely and wrongly completing the Journey
* Fixed issue where in rare cases, Essex Mast in Quickbend does not follow up with his blocking conversation when you free him, resulting in an objective blocker
* Fixed Tanning Racks in Trapper Camps having nav mesh beneath them which could result in side quest NPCs spawning inside tanning racks and blocking side quest progression
* Fixed Rope being removed from player inventory everytime you reloaded into a location where you had attached the rope to a skylight
* Fixed Documents, Relics, Keys, Golden Ace not transferring from 4th to 5th Hero
* Fixed Oneirist leaving location while talking with her about the cursed statuette during the Ritual travel encounter
* Fixed hole in bush area at starting point of Greenwood Run resulting in player getting unfairly detected
* Made it clearer on the Crafting UI which is the item you produce and which are the items needed
* Fixed the Reputation Notification sometimes displaying a placeholder text
* Fixed Ability Wheel not showing weapon abilities when having set AIMING to TOGGLE MODE and aiming with your weapon
* Fixed Sheriff wrongly going hostile during the side quest where they open the cell after being bribed
* Fixed rare blocker bug where Pigman Hero would not go to destination during a specific Objective in last Journey

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

That looks all great so... I guess it's time to wait for gamepass to update.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Finished the game now. As people have said, it definitely starts feeling shallow after a while.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I was super hyped for this game being not-Arkane folks and even initially pre-ordered it on Steam before refunding it to play it for FREE* on game pass.

The first ~4 hours were really good, had a blast, and showed a lot of promise, but then halfway into second vignette I was getting really sick of it and by the last two vignettes I was just beelining between the main areas. Bounties never amounted to anything, Your Choices Matter did not seem to do much other than occasionally some NPCs would turn up as bounties and you could capture and turn them in but never seemed to do much other than 'oh hey that person'. Reputation was a big lol fart; hell I have no idea why it was even in the game. Money seems bonkers broken and was annoying having to scrounge up to rebuy the horse to pickup your inventory of Good poo poo that you had to leave on it before packing in the end of a vignette and other than that it never mattered.

Combat was probably overall most disappointing aspect and devolved into backpedal+spam M1/dodge-slowmo and with only three enemies it lost it's luster really fast. It's otherwise just too chaotic to do much else and that strategy works well enough. I think if this was actually a TBS/tactical game it would have been a lot better because as it is I never could bother using grenades or consumables or trying to setup elaborate barrel traps. the overworld was really barren and felt like it was the exact same town, farm, underground, and mine template pasted a dozen times without any real change. Once you've seen a level once, you've pretty much seen it for the next three dozen times it comes back up with a different name.

Loot tended to be pretty bad and messy, especially with really only 1-2 weapon types that are more or less about the same, and best way just being to loot the weapon store to get them anyways. I'm not even sure why there had to be color-coded Tiered loot when it's so poorly integrated with the game. Abilities seemed really negligible overall except silent rifle and the supposed unique class abilities weren't all that great or even needed. I wasn't really thrilled with how they handled six different vignettes which all ended up playing the same way. I think if they had leaned into each vignette playing a certain way with a different shakeup (bow guy, werewolf guy, etc) it might have been more interesting. The way things transfer* (or don't) between vignettes felt pretty lame and kinda ruined a good portion of exploration (not that there's much to find that you didn't find in the first hour).

Writing-wise I'd say it's decently above-average: I did enjoy the Heathen Witch interactions, brothel, a couple ghost side quests, and a few others like the plantation owner. But the way quests and writing interfaced with the overarching game structure really put a damper on most of the writing and limited actual NPCs and sidequests that never matter. Most of the lore books you can find is like a half-broken sentence at most and never amounted to much interesting though.

At least I feel it nailed a pretty satisfying conclusion to the story, which is more than you can say for most games out there, so props to not-arkane for that. Although its their first game, I would also expect a bunch of arkane vets to have done a better job, especially since it was delayed a good 9 months since it's initial date. I wish I could say another 9 months in the oven might have helped it, but I'm not certain it would have.

Mostly my own fault for getting a little overhyped for it, it's Fine, and for playing it for FREE* I can't complain too much.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I'm a couple hours in and am for the most part enjoying it. I just can't understand why I have to either short press or long-press buttons. No I don't want to bury the corpse, I want to loot it then take everything.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I just got a tutorial telling me I can set up camp on the world map. It's the C key by default on PC. I still don't like the combat, but it is at least better now that I can use my abilities more frequently. I really wish I'd gotten this tutorial 10 hours ago.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Tunahead posted:

I just got a tutorial telling me I can set up camp on the world map. It's the C key by default on PC. I still don't like the combat, but it is at least better now that I can use my abilities more frequently. I really wish I'd gotten this tutorial 10 hours ago.

Yeah, I think that one should pop up basically the first time you go to the world map after finishing the first quest, or maybe even the first time you leave Grackle. It definitely shouldn't be tied to the character being low on health/AP (which is how I suspect it's triggered).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You also get tons of purple drink, feel free to guzzle the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I agree with the other folks here -- five characters is too many, I think. Three, with a unique full set of different powers from the other characters (thinking the difference between Emily and Corvo here), would have been better. I know there are individual powers for each character, but keeping the weapon skills the same keeps me using the same effective approach every time (silenced rifle).