Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Bird in a Blender posted:

The 30 for 30 on it had a couple interviews with people in the stands near him and they seemed almost gleeful and being complete shitheads toward the dude. Some people are just loving assholes.

I think after 2016 things got better for Bartman, but I don’t really know. It’s been almost 19 years. Jesus.

IIRC he almost entirely dropped off the grid and moved to Arizona

It's not like the cubs didn't totally poo poo all over the field after the Bartman play anyway, not to mention Dusty just leaving Prior out there on fumes until it was too late. He probably shouldn't have even gone out for the 8th inning either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Nodoze posted:

It's not like the cubs didn't totally poo poo all over the field after the Bartman play anyway, not to mention Dusty just leaving Prior out there on fumes until it was too late. He probably shouldn't have even gone out for the 8th inning either

Alex Gonzalez owes Bartman a lot of money for taking all of the heat off of him.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Them Orioles, man.. I'm trying to not get swept up in it only to have the crushing reality of defeat bring me back down to earth but it's hard not to with games like last night's. I've been having fun watching the O's play for the first time in a long time which is not what I expected leading up to the Mancini trade.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Never mind the blue Jays have dropped 2 straight to the fuckin Orioles, lmao.

Cackling at my friends over how poo poo the Jays are is way, way more fun than I ever had cheering for them.

The Blue Jays are not a team ready for post-season baseball. Even if they back into a playoff spot, they're not going anywhere.

Key Stat: They are 9 games below .500 when facing a team which is .500 or better (which will be 10 games below after Baltimore completes the sweep today.) San Diego is the only other team which is above .500 which comes anywhere close to that poor a showing against other teams above .500.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
That was a fun walk-off for the Mariners but the announcer is freaking out like they just clinched the West.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I was told after the Mets swept the short series against the Yankees that it didn't matter because the Yankees weren't trying. Have they started trying yet?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/tootblans/status/1557242019336142848

This is how you score zero runs! This is SUCH 2021 loser vibes.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/tootblans/status/1557242019336142848

This is how you score zero runs! This is SUCH 2021 loser vibes.

A lot of sweet defensive plays there.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Mustached Demon posted:

A lot of sweet defensive plays there.

Yea my takeaway was less "boneheaded baserunning" and more "wow those are nice defensive plays".

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I still don't know what Kiner-Falefa was thinking there, terrible read on the situation

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nodoze posted:

Like many sports scapegoat moments the whole Steve Bartman incident gets misremembered in so many ways. It was the 8th inning not the 9th like you might be led to believe, the Cubs were still ahead by three runs at that point, many other people in the stands put their hands up to catch it as well, it’s not even immediately certain that Alou would have caught that ball, and the Cubs continued to poo poo the bed long after the play was relevant. I saw that game in real time at my college dorm and we all thought the fans and even the broadcasters were being shitheads by continuing to fixate on Bartman instead of the Cubs sucking rear end as a whole. It’s like how everybody fixated on Buckner for letting that ball go through his legs in the 86 series when the Mets had already tied the game on a wild pitch and it would have at least gone to extras no matter what he did.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

exquisite tea posted:

Like many sports scapegoat moments the whole Steve Bartman incident gets misremembered in so many ways. It was the 8th inning not the 9th like you might be led to believe, the Cubs were still ahead by three runs at that point, many other people in the stands put their hands up to catch it as well, it’s not even immediately certain that Alou would have caught that ball, and the Cubs continued to poo poo the bed long after the play was relevant. I saw that game in real time at my college dorm and we all thought the fans and even the broadcasters were being shitheads by continuing to fixate on Bartman instead of the Cubs sucking rear end as a whole. It’s like how everybody fixated on Buckner for letting that ball go through his legs in the 86 series when the Mets had already tied the game on a wild pitch and it would have at least gone to extras no matter what he did.

Yeah let's not forget that the next batter hit an easy ground ball that would have made it runners on 1st and 3rd with 2 outs and the SS just completely biffed it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah and it was only game 6 in both instances. The Cubs had a 3-1 series lead at one point too

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

exquisite tea posted:

The key difference with Buckner is that the reason he was on the field was because he was employed by the Boston Red Sox to play Major League Baseball, and had been announced in the lineup playing first base.

Like it still sucks and he shouldn't have gotten anywhere near as much poo poo as he did, but it was in fact his job to play baseball in that instance.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

camoseven posted:

Yea my takeaway was less "boneheaded baserunning" and more "wow those are nice defensive plays".

LOL insane. The only good defensive play there is the throw to get Judge. The rest are guys baserunning like complete idiots. Like trying to get into better scoring position with no one loving out. Just completely pathetic.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Johnny Bravo posted:

I still don't know what Kiner-Falefa was thinking there, terrible read on the situation

When you factor in Donaldson’s salary and offensive production, the IKF acquisition may be their worst non-injury-related pickup since Kei Igawa.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Well Played Mauer posted:

When you factor in Donaldson’s salary and offensive production, the IKF acquisition may be their worst non-injury-related pickup since Kei Igawa.

Every more Cashman made since the 2021 season ended has been a complete joke other than Jose Trevino. He's had a good run here but it's time for a new approach.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

IKF is literally the worst player on a contender, he’s legitimately awful

Yanks need to fire the guy obsessed with adding guys from the Rangers

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

LOL insane. The only good defensive play there is the throw to get Judge. The rest are guys baserunning like complete idiots. Like trying to get into better scoring position with no one loving out. Just completely pathetic.

IKF kinda sucks, not gonna lie. His defense isn’t even that great.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The best thing about this season, is that after dumpstering mcmagic 3/4 of the year might be he turns out to be 100% right and this Yankee team is smoke and mirrors and the wheels will fall off hard and fast.

Then again they will win the division even if they play like .350 ball the rest of the way and anything can happen in the playoffs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Relying on pirates pitchers may turn out to not be ideal.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

davecrazy posted:

That was a fun walk-off for the Mariners but the announcer is freaking out like they just clinched the West.

Look man, we take our Ws when we can get them haha

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/MarkPriorRBW/status/1557241735092117505

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Kirios posted:

IKF kinda sucks, not gonna lie. His defense isn’t even that great.

Yeah and his calling card was "good defender". What good did insisting holding onto Peraza do if you are gonna let IKF not field well in addition to being a black hole at the plate

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Carlosologist posted:

IKF is literally the worst player on a contender, he’s legitimately awful

Yanks need to fire the guy obsessed with adding guys from the Rangers

He's put up 1.4 bWAR this year. You want to talk "worst player on a contender"? How about Jarred Kelenic?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Pungry posted:

He's put up 1.4 bWAR this year. You want to talk "worst player on a contender"? How about Jarred Kelenic?

He is at 0.6 WAR on FG

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Nodoze posted:

He is at 0.6 WAR on FG

And Kelenic is at -0.4 bWAR/-0.3 fWAR. I cannot overstate how bad he has looked this year. He came up a week and a half ago with an open batting stance, and it has somehow made things so much worse.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

In the last 2 months the Yankees have pretty much done exactly what they needed to gag away every winable 1 run game. Just reverting back to the losers they were from last year and most of the last decade of not being good enough.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pungry posted:

I would like to submit Emilio Pagan

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

In the last 2 months the Yankees have pretty much done exactly what they needed to gag away every winable 1 run game. Just reverting back to the losers they were from last year and most of the last decade of not being good enough.
The Yankees are currently 5 games under their pythag record, while the Mets are 4 games over theirs. :mets:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

If the Blue Jays could win a game or two the AL East race would start to look interesting

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I wouldn't really count Kelenic since he's effectively an emergency injury replacement at this point.

the worst everday player on the Mariners by fWAR is Marco who has been bouncing around 0.1/negative WAR all year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Braves just called up Vaughn Grissom, who started the year in A ball and had just arrived in AAA

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Nodoze posted:

Yeah and his calling card was "good defender". What good did insisting holding onto Peraza do if you are gonna let IKF not field well in addition to being a black hole at the plate

Supposedly they are going to wait until after the 18th to call up Peraza to get that extra year of control. I hate IKF so much and it never made much sense to me when people kept saying that he was just what the team needed (a low strikeout high contact guy). That doesn’t matter when the only contact he can make doesnt even have the capability of leaving the infield. How can an everyday player on a contender have zero homeruns into August?

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 10, 2022

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

If the Blue Jays could win a game or two the AL East race would start to look interesting

They're doing whatever they can to not catch the Yankees

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Kikuchi has like a -0.6 war in like 20 starts

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

Supposedly they are going to wait until after the 18th to call up Peraza to get that extra year of control. I hate IKF so much and it never made much sense to me when people kept saying that he was just what the team needed (a low strikeout high contact guy). That doesn’t matter when the only contact he can make doesnt even have the capability of leaving the infield. How can an everyday player have zero homeruns into August?

This is who IKF is. IDK what they were expecting. The fact is this was a poorly built team from a position player standpoint that got EXCEPTIONAL pitching for the first 2 months of the season and a hall of fame year from Judge. When the pitching normalized and a few guys got hurt it reverted to the mediocre team it was previously. Not complicated.

The FO also bought into the hype and completely failed to materially improve the roster at the deadline.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 10, 2022

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

just thinking about watching last night's game thinking "ok surely the yankees can't gently caress up on the basepaths AGAIN" every extra inning

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I wouldn't really count Kelenic since he's effectively an emergency injury replacement at this point.

the worst everday player on the Mariners by fWAR is Marco who has been bouncing around 0.1/negative WAR all year.

Emotionally I've given up on Kelenic and devote myself to Julioism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If the Cardinals get roughed up by the Rockies again tonight I might start my mcmagic era