Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

If I'm reading this right the story they want to report is about Ben Verlander's reporting on Ohtani instead of about Ohtani himself?

yes, they want JP Hoornstra (who covers the Angels for a local Orange County paper and who's first name is not Josh) to talk to Ben Verlander about what a swell job he's doing covering Ohtani.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tony Phillips posted:

Exactly. Didn't remember that image but instead some old as Hell (I think) Bill James column about the dangers of adding all those qualifiers. Anything past three and it gets weird and counter productive. In short - too many qualifiers is just creating a crazy rear end Venn diagram where you're carving out smaller and smaller pieces, while ignoring equally impressive seasons for having just missed one of your 6, 7, 8+ qualifiers. Get specific enough and you can probably get to "Scrub you think Sucks is one of only 4 people to have a season like this!"

Fake edit - it might have been something in "Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame?"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whatever_Happened_to_the_Hall_of_Fame%3F

An interesting book for a few reasons.
- The election process has really really changed over the years. Probably more than you think.
- Veterans committee really really was bad.
- It was written in 1994 or so and some of Bill's predictions about then active players turned out to be really bad as well.

Happy lol at this day as well.
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1574732082110115840
Good for that guy not caving in to the Cardinals bullshit lowball offer. I did not remember all these details, but good lord how insane that McGwire refused to meet the guy!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Tony Phillips posted:

- It was written in 1994 or so and some of Bill's predictions about then active players turned out to be really bad as well.

Can you remind me of these predictions? I remember reading this book in the mid-00s, and I have tried a few times since then to check his predictions, but have been unable to find anything online.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

All I know about Ben Verlander is he seems like a really weird rear end in a top hat. And he’s the one behind the weird “Babe is a murderer?” thing? And like his brother like banned reporters who criticized him or something? So makes sense.

bawfuls posted:

Good for that guy not caving in to the Cardinals bullshit lowball offer. I did not remember all these details, but good lord how insane that McGwire refused to meet the guy!

It’s amazing that the moral isn’t money, just that McGwire couldn’t not be an rear end in a top hat for half an hour.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If I caught a historic home run ball from my favorite team, I'd be asking for a lot of things the team can provide at low cost to them but high value to me. One hypothetical I saw kicking around online a few weeks back is what if your team won the World Series with a Game 7 walk off home run and you caught the ball, what would you ask for in trade?

For me that negotiation starts with:
-party with the team that night (can I smoke weed with Cody Bellinger?? I'll sign all the NDA's you want)
-ride in the parade
-season tickets for life (and you bet your rear end I have specific seats in mind)
-a ball signed by every member of the team
-multiple pieces of signed game-used equipment (jersey, bat, cap, etc) from Betts/Kershaw/whoever else had a standout series
-Clayton Kershaw to tell me he's proud of me

The only one of these things that costs the team any real money is the seats for life and that's definitely not worth the several million dollars the ball would fetch at auction.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 27, 2022

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I'd ask for a job, and then the normal stuff if they were like lol no

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I feel like tickets would be the practical “this doesn’t really cost you anything but actually is of real value to me” thing. It’s just a question of how many.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If the ball is worth more than a million at auction then you need to get tickets for life. And if you are old enough then you get to start negotiating for tickets to last your kid's life. If I'm 75 tickets for life aren't worth nearly as much as they are to me now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Sign me to a 1 day contract and let me play in a game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean I think what I'd ask would depend on how much leverage I felt I had. If I caught some rando rookie's first HR ball or something I'm good with a photo op and like a signed glove or something. If I caught the ball that broke a single season HR record or a guy's 700th or whatever, you better believe I'm asking for the loving moon.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I’m an excellent negotiator and would hold these teams over a barrel. Let me post about it here:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bawfuls posted:

yes, they want JP Hoornstra (who covers the Angels for a local Orange County paper and who's first name is not Josh) to talk to Ben Verlander about what a swell job he's doing covering Ohtani.

Just OC Things

I lived there during grad school, it was a hell of a weird place

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

uggy posted:

I’m an excellent negotiator and would hold these teams over a barrel. Let me post about it here:
lighten up francis

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

bawfuls posted:

lighten up francis

bawfuls posted:

why did the baseball man not meet the random person who caught the ball!!!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
If I catch a visiting player's home run at Wrigley, I don't care how historic it is, I'm throwing that fucker back. :q:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

If I catch a visiting player's home run at Wrigley, I don't care how historic it is, I'm throwing that fucker back. :q:

you'd throw back Detroit Tigers legend Javy Baez's 763rd homer? hosed up if true

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sucks if they have to gently caress with the last interesting series of the season
https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/1574844811428913152

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

tucking in a big long bib and eating Judge’s home run ball right in front of him with a knife and fork

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

uggy posted:

why did the baseball man not meet the random person who caught the ball!!!
cause the baseball man in question is a pompous rear end

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MrMojok posted:

That strike ruined a lot of good things. The Expos were really rolling that year, Gwynn had a realistic chance of hitting .400, etc.
Frank Thomas had an outside chance at finishing that season with both 60+ home runs and an OPS over 1.200.

Good lord he was a great hitter.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gerblederp posted:

tucking in a big long bib and eating Judge’s home run ball right in front of him with a knife and fork

He goes to the Hall of Fame and you go the ER for spite.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

If I caught a baseball that was likely worth a million dollars, I would sell it for a million dollars.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

you'd throw back Detroit Tigers legend Javy Baez's 763rd homer? hosed up if true

I just want to do the math to see how long this would actually take. Javy averages a homer every 23.24 PAs. Giving him the benefit of the doubt for the rest of his career, I'm assuming he will reach 645 PAs in every single season like he did in 2018, which was his season with the most PAs. He needs 599 more home runs to reach 763, which would take 13,919 more PAs. So he should be hitting homer #763 after 21.58 more seasons, halfway through the 2044 season, when Javy is 52 years old.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I just want to do the math to see how long this would actually take. Javy averages a homer every 23.24 PAs. Giving him the benefit of the doubt for the rest of his career, I'm assuming he will reach 645 PAs in every single season like he did in 2018, which was his season with the most PAs. He needs 599 more home runs to reach 763, which would take 13,919 more PAs. So he should be hitting homer #763 after 21.58 more seasons, halfway through the 2044 season, when Javy is 52 years old.

I will request tickets tomorrow

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nodoze posted:

I'd ask for a job, and then the normal stuff if they were like lol no

I would demand the Astros retire JR Richard's number :colbert:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

If I caught a historic home run ball from my favorite team, I'd be asking for a lot of things the team can provide at low cost to them but high value to me. One hypothetical I saw kicking around online a few weeks back is what if your team won the World Series with a Game 7 walk off home run and you caught the ball, what would you ask for in trade?

A Golden Ticket

And idk, a picture with the team and trophy or something too I guess.

If they can't get me the ticket though I'm probably just selling it because it would be really cool to retire early.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I want this so bad. Over 1/3 of the way there.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

hell yeah that rules

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

Can you remind me of these predictions? I remember reading this book in the mid-00s, and I have tried a few times since then to check his predictions, but have been unable to find anything online.

Been too long since I read it as well, but I have Dale Murphy in my mind. Weird, as he had just retired at the time it was published, and I think it was pretty clear that he was Hall of Very Good.

Popete posted:

Sign me to a 1 day contract and let me play in a game.

100% this would be it*. Just Larry Yount my rear end into having my own baseball-reference page that links to my high school stats.

*I would absolutely rather have $3M.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

Let's spend our retirement going to free baseball games across the country :love:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

Wait working for a team makes you eligible? I thought it was only players...

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

Wait working for a team makes you eligible? I thought it was only players...

25 years in a front office too

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Do they reset your clock if you switch teams or does it still count across the league as a whole?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

Do they reset your clock if you switch teams or does it still count across the league as a whole?

I don't know for sure but I believe it SHOULD count across the league as a whole. There are some other benefits that count front office service time across teams so I'd expect this does too

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

STAC Goat posted:

It’s amazing that the moral isn’t money, just that McGwire couldn’t not be an rear end in a top hat for half an hour.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

25 years in a front office too

Sheeeit, I need to start sending out internship applications.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/DUDLAWSON/status/1574792860540588034

Dumb enough to be real

(and yes, the Astros' hat has a giant steer)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
ah yes, wildlife and fishes, because when I go to a densely populated urban metropolis that's what I see

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I like that the marlins one is just.. another marlin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

explosivo posted:

I like that the marlins one is just.. another marlin

Using the wrong logo, too.