Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Altuve has been off to a slow start this season, but him pulling a hammy isn't likely to help the team's offensive output against non-Angels pitching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

will_colorado posted:

these are real real good:
https://twitter.com/cut4/status/1518601812646969346?s=21
please let the Rockies’ version be this good also

The Royals should color swap these to make a white and powder blue version (and grey I guess for traditionalism) and use them as their full time unis. Same for the Stros and the Space City unis, with the added caveat of changing the front text to "Astros" and "Houston" for home and away. Oh, and the nationals too, plus they should go all in with a pink alternate.

Did MLB commission a new artist for this year's city connect unis? Every one this year has been great on its own while actually connected to the city and keeping the team's general color scheme in tact. Last year's were trash, thinking mostly of Boston and San Francisco.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I checked into the game after that happened and the announcers said he left with "groin soreness," and I was thinking "Oh god, right after the hammy..."

I was not expecting that.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

bawfuls posted:

Dodgers just played 5 games in 8 days and with the rainout today will now play 31 games in 31 days

MLB schedules never make any sense

This year has the added bonus of having to cram in more double headers to make up for the first week of the season being delayed. I thought the Astros had a ridiculous 33 games in 34 days stretch, but apparently Tigers are on a 37/35 right now. :stare:

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
What is the record for most consecutive games between two teams with the same score? I ask because the Astros have beaten the Tigers 3-2 each of the last 3 days.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Clearly afraid of getting shown up by Jeremy Peña.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Where did this crypto lobby come from all of a sudden? Seems like every sport has commercials, banners, uniform patches, even arena names now. It might be even more overbearing than Draft Kings was a few years ago.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Sydin posted:

The majority of crypto is owned by the 1% and also going through a massive liquidity crisis that prevents them from being able to cash out before it goes up in flames. So they're doing an add blitz to desperately try and bring in new investors to flush the system with cash.

It all makes sense now. :911:

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
How many seasons now where the Astros have gotten off to mediocre start while the Mariners open up hot, then they play each other and their fortunes immediately switch for the remainder of the season?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

no-one cares about your massive payrolls, let's discuss an actual loving crime

https://twitter.com/tigers/status/1532392848879849472

Never understood what kind of person would make this call. Any normal person would have to be thinking "anything close, I'm calling out" in that situation. Making a safe call means he had to have the opposite mindset before the play started, which is just hosed.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I don't care one way or the other about Joe Maddon, but it's a nice illustration of how people's brains can't handle variance. We don't care if you lose 85 plus, just don't make 12 of those losses in a row. Never mind that prior to the losing streak they were 10 games over .500 with the same personnel, which is probably the first time that's happened in many years for the Angels.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
So in the "baseball odd statistical anomalies" department, the Astros just had 2 pitchers (Luis Garcia and Phil Maton) throw immaculate innings in the same game against the same three hitters (Brad Miller, Eziquiel Duran, and Leody Tavares).

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Intruder posted:

I can't imagine what Castro brings defensively/in the clubhouse for it to be worth trotting his sorry as out there to OPS .350 every game

He definitely looks washed, but it's not like Maldonado's bat is any better. Maldy can at least claim above average defense. I think it's mostly a case of the team's playing well overall, so Dusty isn't in a rush to change anything (if he ever is). Assuming he's not hurt/tanking in Sugar Land right now, I suspect Korey Lee will get a look before the end of the season.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I felt a little bad for the Angels pitcher. He was obviously a young kid being explicitly or implicitly threatened with reduced playing time or demotion if he didn't hit Winker, and he looked so ashamed when Winker confronted him. It won't happen, but MLB should hammer Nevin for that bullshit, especially since he was going full Colonel Jessup out there.

Edit

Nevin: Son, we live in a world that has unwritten rules, and those unwritten rules have to be guarded by men with 95 MPH fastballs. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Umpire Johnson? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Winker and you curse the Angels. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know; that Winker being hit in the rear end with a baseball, while tragic, probably saved baseball. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, *saves baseball*. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me in that dugout. You need me in that dugout. We use words like professional and playing the game the right way. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very game that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a baseball and get on the mound. Either way, I don't give a *drat* what you think you are entitled to!

Johnson: Did you order the beanball?

Nevin: I did the job I...

Johnson: [interrupts him] *Did you order the beanball?*

Nevin: *You're God drat right I did!*

Blind Pineapple fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 29, 2022

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

ihatepants posted:

It does, actually. Also no one from that 2016 team is on the Yankees anymore except for Aaron Hicks. That's just one cheating rear end in a top hat (plus Marwin)!

Not that it’ll change anyone’s opinion, but there are surprisingly few players from the 2017 Astros still on the team. Just Altuve, Bregman, and Gurriel, plus JV and McCullers on the pitcher side.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Even the Apple TV broadcast obliquely referenced Tungsten Arm tonight.

Haven't watched too many Apple TV games. The broadcast team is a little rough, but it is weirdly refreshing to hear sports announcers actually sound like people my age. You don't realize how boomer-y most sports announcers are until you hear "Lorenzen threw 69 pitches, but it was not a nice outing for him."

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Judge is on pace for 60 dingers though.

I think Yordan isn't getting more hype for several reasons. The biggest is people are probably bear-ish about him sustaining this level of play for another 3 months. Even as an Astros fan who invested in a Yordan jersey 2 years ago, it's hard to imagine anyone staying on the Bonds-like tear he's been on the last 6 weeks for a whole season. If he does, the conversation in September is very different. The second big thing working against him is the inverse of the "But Ohtani pitches too" argument. You're gonna get a lot of "Yordan is just a DH" from people who don't watch a lot of Astros games and know that he's been playing a pretty competent LF.

Assuming all 3 players keep about the same pace, I can't see Yordan winning, right or wrong. Judge has the force of narrative and Ohtani is the most uniquely special player in the league.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The Royals are doing a reverse psychology public health service by associating anti-vaxism with big loser energy.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I never watch the Tigers, but did any of the guys they got for JV ever amount to anything?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Intruder posted:

The Astros really should make a run for Contreras. Castro and Maldy are just THAT BAD at the plate and lately Maldy has been really shaky behind the plate as well. I just don't know if they have the pieces to get it done is all. Pedro Leon and Hunter Brown probably aren't enough and given Whitley is hurt AGAIN I don't know how interested the Cubs would be

They might have to include Javier or Garcia to get it done and I don't see them doing it. Korey Lee is a decent prospect but he's another extremely light hitting catcher

I’d sell high on Javier now. Idk, I’m skeptical that his “magic fastball down the middle” isn’t something that just starts getting absolutely blown up and then he’s sub-Odorizzi level.

I also wonder what the market for Siri or McCormick is. Siri seems like he has more growth potential of the two, but neither has a place on a team where Yordan and Brantley are healthy. Are they still considered “prospects” that could net a big return, or are they viewed as guys who are as good as they’re gonna get?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Sab0921 posted:

TBH the Astros should just trade for Soto. Send these guys Meyers/McCormick/Siri/Dubon and then like a pitcher or something - bingo bango the Nats should be thrilled.

I don't know if 4 fringe guys are enough to get it done, although I think Meyers and Siri still have decent ceilings above them. A couple of those guys + Javier or Urquidy + B-Tier prospect + Lottery tickets is probably closer to what the bill would be for the Stros, but they should still absolutely do it. .

The other problem for the Astros is they don't have any room to take on Corbin, unless the Nats would take Odorizzi back.

The Astros should also not be deterred from chasing a catcher as a more realistic goal. Everyone knows Maldy's streak is fool's gold, Castro is washed, and Korey Lee isn't an immediate impact kind of guy.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

mdemone posted:

If I'm in the front office, and it's pretty obvious I'm not, you move heaven and earth to keep Ohtani. Move Trout if you have to, I'm serious.

I don't know how much you could comparatively get for Trout with his contract plus the news about his recurring back problems.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Sunk Dunk posted:

am i the only one that thinks an "immaculate inning" is stupid? doesn't really tell you jack poo poo

Most single-game baseball feats don’t tell you anything about a player. It’s just one of those rare “achievement unlocked” kind of things like hitting for the cycle.

poo poo, even pitching a perfect game isn’t a great indicator of quality.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Intruder posted:

Can Mancini even play CF? If Brantley comes back that's where they'd need him and that's where their biggest OF hole is since Diaz can play LF

I think the offensive benefits of a Mancini-Tucker-Brantley outfield are worth giving up a little bit of defense.

On another note, I feel like Jose Siri is exactly the type of player who will become really good on the Rays.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Will Smith seems like a light return for Odorizzi. While Odo was easily the worst Astros starter, he seems pretty average-ish overall. Even if the coaching staff can get Montero-like results from Smith, you’re still giving a passable starter for a decent bullpen arm straight up. Probably better than dealing with Odo’s tantrum going to the pen, though.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Finally, a worthy successor to tungsten arm.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Sab0921 posted:

I am humbly requesting that the Houston Astros play Trey Mancini - just figure out a way to get him in the lineup. No more Mauricio Dubon...please.

https://twitter.com/astros/status/1557449202656980993

Based on the Astros lineups since the deadline, I’m not even sure why they traded for Mancini.

If Dusty’s as loyal to Javier and Urquidy as he is to Meyers and Dubon, you might see Lance back as the 7th inning guy next week.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

MrMidnight posted:

More bits of Dusty wisdom

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1557796549865771008?s=20&t=Rlkog3EA7fxq-HNmNQSZSw

The man is blind. I'm sure JV loves seeing the absolute worst hitters in the lineup when he pitches

The fact that Dusty and AJ got basically identical results for the Astros is another piece of evidence for "managers don't matter," but this is some real galaxy brain poo poo. How the hell do you reach the conclusion that the key to close games is "stop runners going from first to third" instead of "put guys who can actually get hits in the lineup?"

Like maybe JV games are close because you're spotting teams 2 free innings with Chas/Dubon/Maldy all hitting consecutively.

Blind Pineapple fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 11, 2022

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Kirios posted:

Great call to get Mancini then. Please make him an everyday player Dusty.

You'll get more Dubon tonight and like it. Don't think about the hits you're missing, think about all the opposing baserunners who will only be able to get from first to second on line drive singles to center.

Intruder posted:

e: I have to imagine that's it for Brantley as an Astro, he's a free agent after this season and turns 36 in May. Or maybe they bring him back on another short term deal, it's not like they have a ton of options

I don't think it's that unlikely. He's already signed a couple 2-year deals here, he's unlikely to get more on the open market, and he's already on a team that gives him a good shot at winning a ring. Unless Chas or Meyers have a freak super-hot run in the playoffs, I don't see any way the Stros don't at least try to get him back on a similar deal.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Can someone who speaks Spanish better than I explain why they're the Cachorros and not the Ositos or Oseznos?

Same reason they're the Cubs and not the Little Bears in English.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I kinda like most of the new rules. I've come around on being ok limiting the shift, it's basically the same as having a restricted area in basketball. The only thing I really dislike is that shift compliance is subject to replay. It's going to be awful when a game-changing play is sent to New York for 10 minutes to see if a fielder's shoe was touching a blade of grass or not when the pitch was released.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Kirios posted:

I mean we can all play this game - Astros went 6-0 against the Twins who are now 69-70. They'd be on stop of that list otherwise.

Ironically, they would also be at the top had they lost one or two games to the Twins, which kind of exposes the silliness of that particular stat.

I’m sure the Dodgers could make a similar claim with the Giants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Intruder posted:

Also it's not just integrity, they should be trying to stay ahead of the Mets and Braves so the only team they could meet in the playoffs and not have home field is the Dodgers (although they'd have to lose out and either the Mets or Braves win out to lose home field against either of them)

e: actually the Mets or Braves would have to win all but 1, or win out and the Astros only win 1 more

I don’t think home field means as much now with the universal DH, but they are gonna get like a week off anyway with the expanded playoffs, so it doesn’t make too much sense to rest guys unless they’re hurt.