Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Looking forward to the MVP race between Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

More like the race for second place when Buxton finally stays healthy and puts up a 12 WAR

That would be pretty rad too if I'm being honest

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Lmao

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Surely the Pirates will still honor the contract offer right

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

6 years? That'd be 37.5 AAV

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Nodoze posted:

Even at 7 years that is still 32 million a year, what is he looking for a 10yr 300 million dollar deal?

Yea, i think even 7/225 is a good deal for him honestly. He's turning 30 in 3 weeks

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Almost all of the huge deals in recent years are for younger guys that play premium infield positions. Trout, Betts and Harper are the only OF contracts you can compare and even then all of those guys were younger with a better health record at the time. I think the Yankees offer puts him somewhere in between Trout and Betts, closer to Betts, and that seems more than fair

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Yeah I don't think that's gonna happen. Maybe if he was 2 or 3 years younger and I feel like even that is a big maybe

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
gently caress man i didnt want to click that video and i did

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

mcmagic posted:

IDK about you guys but the quality of video on the Apple TV+ game tonight is WAY better than regular TV. Looks close to real 4K on my LED.

Yea it's good, I'm not minding it nearly as much as the YouTube games other than having to get another service account created and such

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Popete posted:

First year coming over from Japan, Seiya might struggle to handle MLB fastballs. He'll need some time to adjust so temper your expecta...

https://twitter.com/FoolishBB/status/1514008760326496267

he might be the greatest baseball player ever made

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Phillips walk off happened when that kid was like 5 or 6 and he's an incredible goofball, why wouldn't that be a 7 year olds favorite player?

And if we're being honest, he's likely not going to be expensive to keep around so there's not much worry over Tampa unloading him

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Nodoze posted:

They had a shortened spring training due to the lockout, so his pitch count isn't built up. How many pitches do you really want him throwing in his first start of the season after he couldn't even pitch in the playoffs because of an elbow injury

Yea, it'd be really lovely to see Kershaw's elbow explode over a perfect game. It's not like he really needs one to cement his legacy and if he does, he practically threw one already in 2014

Perfect through 7 is awesome as hell though, kinda like Bumgarner's no hitter except better

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I mean what the gently caress is the point of competing at all if you’re this risk averse?

The idea that accomplishments like perfect games don’t mean anything is as soulless as the commissioner calling the World Series trophy a hunk of metal. I’m not here to watch Andrew Friedman win at game theory.

I guess we'll just have to disagree then. He's coming off a season ending elbow injury that also cost him 2 months earlier in 2021, PRP injections, a short spring training and it's the first week of the season. I think there's a reasonable level of risk there if his goal is to stay healthy for the next 6 months. This is all moot anyways since Kershaw himself thought it was the right move so who the gently caress cares, it's his body

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 14, 2022

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Hunter Pence and Katie Nolan did the Angels/Astros game last week, I like them both but I dunno that Nolan did a whole lot of broadcasting, it was more cracking jokes and asking some really dumb questions at times. A lot of people seemed to hate it.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

lmfao

poor Trout man

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
If Jake Arrieta is pissed off then Maddon made the right call, sorry those are the rules

As an aside, Aaron Loup is great and I hope he never disappoints me

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

not buying it. it's literally impossible.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

The Pussy Boss posted:

The A's will be fine. Beane blows up the team every few years, and always gets them back to contention in a year or two. I think he enjoys the challenge tbh.

Yup. They were the best team in the division at the start of Trout's career, tore it down and finished last for a few years and were back to a 97 win team by 2018.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Ohtani struck out 12 in 6 IP and went 2-4 at the plate, what a boss

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I dunno that I agree with the call based on intent but I do think it was heads up baseball by the A's there and you're taught since little league to turn into foul territory for that reason

Even the first base coach is pointing at the bag, presumably telling him to get back on it

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 21, 2022

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

schwarbs is officially a philadelphia philly now
https://twitter.com/jajareetz/status/1518409202351456262?s=20&t=x7S46_u5HzUAlB0_mnNr_A

man do i miss this lummox

this is so good, I think the prior most mad I had seen him was the missed checked swing against the Angels a couple years back

he earned the hell out of this ejection

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Trout wasn't qualified either until a day or two ago. I feel like there's a lot of similarities between Mike Trout and Byron Buxton, mostly that they both whip rear end at baseball when they're able to play

e: jesus, Buxton has a .946 SLG

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 25, 2022

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Trout had another ho-hum 2-3 game tonight with a HR, double and a walk. He's now .1 fWAR behind Arenado for best in MLB. The king is back baby

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1519539962856706051

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Gorman Thomas posted:

Chuckling at all the pre-season regression projections for Trout. Everyone saw Pujols/Miggy decline in their 30s and applied the standard model to the greatest right handed hitter to ever live. Pujols/Miggy have 4 seasons combined, out of 42, that outclass Trout's average season. Unless he gets injured, Trout is putting up a 200+ OPS+ this year.

And he's rocking a sprint speed of 29.6 ft/sec at 30 after missing a year with a calf injury that he initially thought was an Achilles. He could still swipe 30-40+ bags a year if he wanted to.

The king

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
So 423 games in total since he's not getting credit for the games he's already missed. It's not perfect but it's something

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

On one hand I don't want Bauer to get any money on the other hand the Dodgers should be forced to pay someone all that money as punishment for signing him.

Make them pay his salary to a worthy cause, problem solved

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I wanna see a combined inside the park home run someday

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

I swear we saw a combined homer a couple years back. Batter hits it out but it’s initially ruled a double. The now-runner is pulled for a pinch runner, then the play is reviewed. The hit is ruled a home run but since the switch was already made, the pinch runner completes the run.

Am I horribly misremembering this?

Not sure but I'm intrigued by the possibility. I remember many years ago when Gabe Kapler was on base when a home run was hit and he ruptured his achilles rounding second base. He had to be subbed out and the pinch runner started at second to finish the home run trot

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was surprised the other day to see how young Jo Adell still was

He still hasn’t figured out MLB pitching and I wonder if he ever does, but he certainly has time

His bat has been fine this year other than the first week slump. He's completely lost in the outfield though, his first step is legitimately the worst I think I've ever seen.

The unfortunate thing for Adell is that Marsh has been pretty good this year and looks considerably more comfortable on defense and the other two OF spots are locked down with Mike Trout putting up Taylor Ward type numbers this year

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 2, 2022

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

A 706 OPS is fine?

I think so, yeah. He's got a 105 OPS+ and basically struck out every at bat for the first two series this year.

By comparison, Kelenic's OPS is 200 points lower

I'd love for him to be an all star caliber player already but the defense is much more of a concern than the offense imo

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Popete posted:

gently caress the Reds for wasting his career.

Trade the man to LA and get him a ring.

No room for him, we got Jared Walsh at first and Ohtani at DH

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Is he actually retiring? I know he's cooked and it's probably time but I read that tweet as him just fuckin with people because the article is saying it's the end for him

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Good Dog posted:

Jo Adell got sent down to AAA to work on his defense

A bit surprised by the urgency here but it's 100% the right move. His defense is fundamental stuff that can be sorted out down there, or so I hope

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
He walked Corey Seager with the bases loaded and the Angels won

He put Jared Walsh in left field so Kurt Suzuki could play first base and the Angels won

How does Joe Maddon do it

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Noted hot pisser Neifi Perez

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
N:

Gorman Thomas posted:

Ohtani threw 81 goddam strikes on 99 pitches with 29 whiffs. Oh and he hit 100 on the gun and 104 off the monster.

v:
https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1522308587799945216

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/mlberrors/status/1522394776426983425

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
the ump that tossed Bumgarner apologized

https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1522710110837121024

quote:

I would like to address my actions on May 4th involving Madison Bumgarner. When I began my MLB career almost 15 years ago, I received some good advice. I was told to umpire every game as if my children were sitting in the front row. I fell short of those expectations this week. While I can’t go back and change what happened, I take full accountability. I will learn from this incident, and I sincerely apologize.