Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/SurvivingGrady/status/1511117829453586432

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That's a really fair deal for Judge and he's probably going to be hard pressed to top it on the open market imo

In other news, Xander's rocking some fun cleats today.
https://twitter.com/RedSox/status/1512462222068490249

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Who let Enrico Polazzo ump another game?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I don't understand choosing to sign Story if they are going to get cheap with Bogaerts who is much better.

Eh, I wouldn't say Bogie is much better, and I think the general consensus is that one of the reasons they signed Story is to act as a hedge if Xander does leave.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I think he hosed something in one of his knees

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

A reminder of those insanely dogshot boston uniforms. Are they still using those?
That picture is from Saturday.

As for Houck he had an absolutely galaxy brained quote in the Globe talking about missing the start

quote:

“I’m definitely bummed that I won’t be able to make that start,” Houck said. “But the starts that I am able to make, I plan on giving 100 percent for this team, if not more, so. Anything I can do for this team to help them win, I’ll do it.
:psyduck:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

will_colorado posted:

what dickhead wouldn't allow Orsillo's video tribute to his broadcast partner to be played?

According to Chad Finn, Orsillo was asked a week ago and didn't get the message to the team until last night. So my charitable interpretation is that the team had already locked in their schedule for the ceremony and couldn't fit his message in.

Regardless, bad look for the club, and letting Orsillo go is still the dumbest thing they've done in the past twenty years, and that includes the Mookie trade.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/jcmccaffrey/status/1518661707987570689

Huh, I was expecting more

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Cora was suspended for his involvement in the Houston system and the allegation that he brought it to Boston. They just very deliberately didn't really investigate Boston further or reveal anything about who far it did or didn't go. I think they just got a fine for the Apple Watch thing.
No, they investigated Boston

quote:

Major League Baseball has determined that the Red Sox's replay official is primarily to blame for the team's sign-stealing scandal during its 2018 championship season, the league announced Wednesday. The Red Sox will be stripped of their second-round draft pick in 2020, and replay operator J.T. Watkins will be banned through the 2020 playoffs and forbidden to perform replay duties during the 2021 season.

Basically what happened is in 2017 when the league said "stop using electronic devices to steal signs" the Sox interpreted that as meaning using electronic devices to relay stolen signs from the replay room. So they stopped using the Apple Watch, but kept deciphering the signs. Which, it sounds like is what the Yankees were also doing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Oh fair, I meant the techniques being used, not when they were using them sorry.

STAC Goat posted:

My impression is that it was alleged that Cora brought the Houston system to Boston in 2018 and MLB did an investigation and didn't reveal anything worse than the watch/Yankee thing but they also didn't give the player immunity they did to Houston to get them to confess, so there was question if the investigation was done seriously or not.

Uh, no, per the report

quote:

With respect to Red Sox players, at the outset of the investigation, the Commissioner’s Office and the MLBPA agreed that, in return for their cooperation and honesty during their interviews, current and former Red Sox players would not be subject to discipline based on the results of the investigation, and that the names of the current and former Red Sox players who cooperated with the investigation would be kept confidential and not publicly disclosed.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/redsoxstats/status/1519297925930758145

Ye gods, that's not what you want to see.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Nodoze posted:

Do the Red Sox still lead MLB in chase rate for bad pitches

Yes, and they're last in batters BB%. There's a lot wrong with their offense so far. But that barrels thing was particularly frustrating because even when they're good they're bad.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

Yeah, Donaldson hosed up big time here. No editorializing or anything, call a spade a loving spade

Well yes, that is what they're saying Donaldson did.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Critical posted:

My pro shop guy was the one who set him up with a bunch of equipment, said he was the nicest dude and got field passes for Fenway from him a few times.

Mookie is a dang saint (i say this and some terrible accusation about him will spring up tomorrow) and for that reason alone I will die mad that Boston decided they'd rather have five ineffective years of Chris Sale over 10-12 years of Mookie's remaining prime and decline. It doesn't help that none of the guys they got from the Dodgers look like they'll amount to much more than serviceable at best.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Hmm you seem to have forgot gently caress the Yankees

:hmmyes:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Red Sox are .500! :toot:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I mean, the original was very white and straight, which this seems to not be. So y'know, at the very least it'll be a better representation of what the past actually looked like.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Pedro and Keith Foulke's sons are on the team as well. Also, Manny Jr and Jaden really look like their dads.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

bawfuls posted:

The job of the modern MLB manger is just not very easy to measure with quantitative results.

The role now is really about managing people and relationships. The manager and coaching staff need to be able to communicate the insights of the front office into a manner the players can make use of, and just as important they need to get the players to buy in. The manager's job is getting an aging veteran to accept a platoon role, or helping a utility player stay focused and motivated despite irregular playing time. It's keeping star players and young rookies alike both happy and motivated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4OvQIGDg4I

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Dire Straits sure isn't the soundtrack I'd pick for a movie about a gorilla that plays baseball.

Makes total sense if you remember the video for Walk of Life has both baseball and a gorilla in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sys9LCUo-AU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Infidel Castro posted:

Boston's are still an abortion and the Dodgers have the laziest loving things on earth.

As someone who is a fan of both the Red Sox and UCLA, the Boston City connect hat slaps.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Nodoze posted:

They also have a couple series with the Yankees too. They do get a slight reprieve in there by playing the Cubs though

In the two weeks leading up to the All Star Break, the Sox only play the Rays and Yankees which is loving ridiculous.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/ChrisCotillo/status/1539698410525270019
It is just so wild to me that the only guys currently on the Red Sox 40 man roster who aren't vaxxed are also the most fungible.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

there are a couple of excellent nuggets in this piece on the Brockton Rox

Pedro Martinez Jr posted:

"I really didn't understand how big (my father) was until he got into the Hall of Fame. ... Like, that's Mookie Betts talking to him like he's someone cool, treating him like he's royalty. Why is this guy talking to my weird, dork dad? He spends his time at home taking care of his flowers."

Pedro as a weird, dork dad :allears:

quote:

"The thing that I don't like is that if you hit a home run and you watch it, (our parents) get mad," Ramirez says. "If any of us hits a home run and watches it, they're going, 'Hey, what are you doing? Run the bases.' I'm just like, 'I'm trying to do what you guys used to do to the pitchers. I learned this from you. You used to pimp home runs.'"

Jokes Martinez: "My dad would just hit you."

"I think his dad hit my dad at one point," Sheffield responds, pointing at Martinez Jr. and laughing.
Similarly I'm dying at the thought of Manny giving his son poo poo for pimping a home run.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Some folks in Boston are a bit upset that the Red Sox closer, Tanner Houck, is unvaccinated. Jays scored two in the 9th for a walkoff win.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/boston-media-explodes-after-red-sox-blow-it-without-unvaccinated-closer-houck/

I agree with Dan Shaughnessy about something, what is the world coming to?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/KatieMo61/status/1544137878908944385

Bello's been mulching AA and AAA this year so I'm drat excited to see what he can do in the bigs.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm so glad the entire Red Sox starting rotation decided that the correct time to get hurt was during their toughest stretch of the schedule.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm a little amazed the Red Sox have gone 4-6 over their last ten games, but are still up 2.5 games in the wild card standings. If they can get a split in Tampa, and one win in New York this week I'll be satisfied.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Seems like a good opportunity for the Red Sox to right the Karma from trading away one generational talent by acquiring another one.

I'd rather the Red Sox focus on keeping the current generational talent on their roster.

Pay Raffy you freaking dopes! :argh:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

Because John Henry has his rings, and now he doesn't want to spend his money on baseball anymore.

Hold on, hold on. Let's get it right. FSG will absolutely spend money on baseball, they have the sixth highest payroll in the sport right now. What they won't do is sign a player to a ten year or longer contract.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Nodoze posted:

They hired Bloom to not spend a ton of money

Bloom added something like $50 million in salary just this past offseason. It's just predominantly in short term deals, and Trevor Story. Again, what I suspect it boils down to is that they don't think 10 year deals are an efficient use of resources, so if that's what you want, adios. To be clear, I don't entirely agree with that philosophy, but that's my read on the situation.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

When it's going...not so great
https://twitter.com/IanMBrowne/status/1553534951265632256

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Awww, I always liked Vazquez, I'm sad.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

He's been with the organization so long he was drafted by Theo. Plus he and Cora had a really strong relationship. It's no wonder he'd be a little bummed about getting shipped out.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wait so the Red Sox aren't selling? Why are they trading Vazquez?

The Red Sox outfield is dangerously thin right now so getting Pham, imho, is just a move to get some warm bodies to finish out the season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Diekman was mostly a sack of crap so I'm okay with this

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Sad thing is, he's a mammoth upgrade at first over what they currently have

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Did Hosmer waive his NTC this time or is he gonna block another move

Boston wasn't on his no trade list
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1554534562541232129

https://twitter.com/KenTremendous/status/1554535838020603904

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Boston taking Hosmer makes zero sense lol.

https://twitter.com/SurvivingGrady/status/1554550185430323202

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

ihatepants posted:

Well they had Casas in the minors and he is one of the game’s top prospects, but they will probably wait until after 8/19 to call him up because it gives them an additional year of control.

Casas has also been hurt for a significant chunk of the season and only just got healthy again.