Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Twins are getting the PTBNL in the Paddack/Rogers swap, which feels wild to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Popete posted:

This all happened because the Padres decided to let a guy may his MLB debut in the 9th inning of a 2 run game where he proceeded to walk 3 guys in a row.
https://mobile.twitter.com/AJCassavell/status/1512293459100536832

I guess it explains why they wanted Rogers

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I hadn't seen the mechanics before. This feels like the right way to handle lockout year arb, good job MLBPA

https://mobile.twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1512431915797733390

euphronius posted:

225 but how much guaranteed I wonder
It would be extremely unusual reporting for that number to be anything other than contracted years (including any money after an optout and/or on a player option) plus the buyout value on the team option.

Maybe better understood as the money Judge is guaranteed to make but not what the Yankees are guaranteed to pay?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

GoatSeeGuy posted:

First of all: gently caress the owners, but yeah- 9 years on the wrong side of 30 isn't going to happen unless Dick Monfort decides Kris Bryant needs a friend.

Kris Bryant being the perfect reminder that it only takes one. Will he get 324/9 on the market next year? Probably not, but part of the team benefit of extending your stars is that you don't have to worry about a bidding war with *spins wheel* the Padres after they magically shed Hosmer and Wil. Should they go and albatross themselves like that again? No. Would I want to bet on Preller showing restraint, especially if this season ends in a sweep or another collapse and his job is on the line? No.

213/7? Wouldn't shock me to see him getting as a FA. Why shouldn't he tell the Yankees they need to pay him more as a premium to avoid getting into a bidding war with an idiot billionaire?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Well Played Mauer posted:

Didn’t we all agree that Trout’s deal was undervaluing him? I don’t think the AAV Judge was asking for is unreasonable. The years are a stretch for sure but it’s also a negotiation.

Would have ruled if he went in and demanded $250/5 though.
:agreed:
He's taking a risk with injury and owners loving him but we need more players who've already made tens of millions to keep pushing the envelope so that the pre-arb guys get bigger bags. "He's not worth that" is relative to what? The billions of dollars in franchise appreciation we've seen across the league? The TV contracts? Or when compared to the artificially suppressed salaries of other players?

I do wonder if it'd be legal to have the MLBPA create a downside guarantee pool for young stars. Hit certain performance thresholds by a given age/service time and the PA will guarantee a minimum level of career earnings. It'd mitigate a lot of the risk that drives prearb players to teamfriendly deals (the first $20m in earnings matter a lot more to the player than the last $50m they make in their careers, etc), and paying back some portion of earnings over the guarantee should make it selfsustaining. It'd also be way less abusive and towards a better cause than the loansharking of scum like "Big League Advance" (Tatis)

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Popete posted:

No Padres starter has given up a hit this year.
Has any man singlehandedly stopped more history than Tim Hill?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

IcePhoenix posted:

It was cool having hope for about three minutes though, at least

Look, Twins didn't need Rogers....

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
This is wild. Buxton has had 9 hits that increased the Twins win probability by at least 30%.

2 were walkoffs. The Twins are 0-7 after the others.

quote:

April 9, 2022, vs. Mariners: +45.2% WPA

Down one run with none out in the bottom of the eighth inning, Buxton hit a go-ahead two-run homer off Muńoz. Duffey blew the save and took the loss in the next half-inning.

June 12, 2019, vs. Mariners: +44.9% WPA

Down two runs with none out in the bottom of the ninth inning, Buxton hit a game-tying two-run homer against Anthony Bass, sending the game to extras. In the next half-inning, errors by first baseman C.J. Cron and third baseman Miguel Sanó led to Duffey allowing three unearned runs to take the loss.

April 21, 2021, vs. A’s: +40.4% WPA

In a chaotic, up-and-down game tied 10-10 in the top of the 10th, Buxton hit a two-run homer against Lou Trivino. Alex Colomé got two outs in the bottom of the inning, but back-to-back errors on possible game-ending plays by second baseman Travis Blankenhorn and third baseman Luis Arraez let in three unearned runs for a walk-off, 13-12 loss.

Sept. 17, 2016, vs. Mets: +34.4% WPA

With the score tied 1-1 in the top of the 11th inning, Buxton hit a solo homer against Hansel Robles. Curtis Granderson hit a game-tying homer off Brandon Kintzler in the bottom of the 11th and a walk-off homer versus Ryan O’Rourke in the 12th.

Aug. 8, 2020, vs. Royals: +31.2% WPA

Down a run in the fourth inning, Buxton hit a three-run homer against Danny Duffey to put the Twins up 4-2. They lost 9-6, as relievers Cody Stashak, Sean Poppen and Lewis Thorpe combined to allow seven runs and got nine outs.

Sept. 4, 2016, vs. White Sox: +30.8% WPA

Down four runs in the second inning, Buxton hit a game-tying grand slam off Anthony Ranaudo. They lost 13-11 in 12 innings.

Sept. 3, 2017, vs. Royals: +30.6% WPA

Down a run with two outs in the bottom of the sixth inning, Buxton hit a two-run single versus Ian Kennedy to put the Twins up 4-3. In the next half-inning, Alan Busenitz allowed a two-run triple to Lorenzo Cain. They lost 5-4.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
*sobs in Twinsfan*

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Congratulations to Miguel Cabrera on his 3,000th hit

quote:

Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera was drunk — three times above Michigan’s legal limit for driving, according to police — between two key games over the weekend as his team was trying to win the American League Central title.

The 26-year-old Venezuelan first baseman was taken to a police station Saturday after arriving at his suburban Detroit home at 5 a.m. and getting into a fight with his wife, Birmingham Police Chief Richard Patterson said.

Cabrera was administered a breath test by police and registered a 0.26 blood-alcohol reading, the chief said. The legal limit for Michigan drivers is 0.08.
[...]
“We determined that they both contributed to the domestic assault,” the chief said. “It was minor in nature. They did have some marks on their faces. We could not determine who the aggressor was.”

gently caress. I'm sorry, wrong link. Let me try this again. Congratulations to Miguel Cabrera on his 3,000th hit

quote:

According to Florida court documents obtained by the Free Press, the Detroit slugger must pay for health care, private tuition, day care, extra-curricular activities, vacations and $5-million life insurance policies for the two children.This is on top of the $20,000 a month he will pay their mother, Belkis Rodriguez, who lives in a gated community in Orlando with the children. Cabrera must also pay for the woman's attorney fees.
[...]
Rodriguez sued Cabrera in August 2017, claiming he left her and their two kids high and dry after his wife discovered the affair. She argued that given his $30-million annual salary, which equals $2.5 million a month, she was entitled to $100,000 a month under Florida's child support guidelines.

Cabrera's lawyer, however, argued that what Rodriguez was really upset about was that Cabrera wouldn't leave his wife.

According to court documents, Cabrera had been paying Rodriguez $20,000 a month in child support without any court order, but cut the amount by $5,000 in the summer of 2017. Rodriguez argued this was only done by Cabrera to appease his wife, who discovered the affair and filed for divorce. Cabrera cut his payments, the woman's lawyer argued, because he wanted to stop the divorce proceedings, which ultimately did happen as his wife changed her mind.

Cabrera's wife, Rosangel, filed for divorce in April 2017. At about the same time, his then-mistress closed on a $1 million house that Cabrera helped her buy. Later that summer, Cabrera stopped paying Rodriguez the additional $5,000 a month in child support that he had agreed to pay when she bought the house, records show.

In court filings, Cabrera's lawyer has portrayed Rodriguez as a shakedown artist who is is trying to extort alimony from him, even though they were never married.

No? gently caress, um, okay. This has to be the right one. Congratulations to Miguel Cabrera on his 3,000th hit

quote:

Not long before Miguel Cabrera was arrested Feb. 16, police were called to a steakhouse because Cabrera allegedly threatened the manager and an off-duty wildlife officer.

The manager and officer told police that Cabrera, the Detroit Tigers’ All-Star first baseman, smelled of alcohol, insinuated he had a gun in a shoulder bag and said, “I know all of you, and I will kill all of you and blow this place up.”

The Florida state attorney’s office Wednesday released a 41-page report, a police video and 911 audio in Cabrera’s case. They provided the first details of the events that preceded Cabrera’s arrest for suspicion of driving under the influence and two counts of resisting an officer without violence. Cabrera faces no charges from the steakhouse incident.

In the report, Cabrera walked into Cowboys Bar-B-Q & Steak Co. around 10:15 p.m. The off-duty officer, Kyle Patterson, was talking to the manager, Fletcher Nail. The manager said he told Cabrera the restaurant was closing, and Cabrera continued inside but eventually was convinced to leave.

The manager said Cabrera, after saying for a second time, “you don’t know me,” leaned near his face “and stated, ‘I will kill you,’ again patting his shoulder bag.”

Hm. Well, congratulations to this immense piece of poo poo and the law enforcement enablers who ensured that petty things like laws wouldn't prevent this fantastic accomplishment!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

IcePhoenix posted:

N: Byron Buxton

V: Byron Buxton
News:
https://mobile.twitter.com/SlangsOnSports/status/1518350071322005505

Views:
https://mobile.twitter.com/MLBWalk_Offs/status/1518350982177976320

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I apologize to all the Twins fans I mocked for telling me he was the next Kirby.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

mcmagic posted:

Give the Yankees credit.
Accountsharing is a bannable offense.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1520042292333191174

quote:

Joe Ryan had great numbers coming up through the Rays’ farm system, posting a 2.70 ERA and 309 strikeouts in 217 innings. Despite dominating every level, many national prospect lists and public scouting reports pointed to his fastball-heavy approach and modest velocity as reasons to be skeptical of his upside as a starter, with some even projecting Ryan as a future reliever. Ryan’s fastball averaged just 91-92 mph, yet he regularly threw it more than 75 percent of the time in the minors. He racked up 13 strikeouts per nine innings, but would that one-note approach work against big-league hitters?
[...]
Ryan joined the Twins’ rotation just 40 days after last season’s trade and had immediate success in five September starts, striking out 30 versus five walks in 26 2/3 innings and holding opponents to a .168 batting average. As expected, he was exceedingly fastball reliant, throwing it 65.8 percent of the time to rank among the league leaders for starters.

In their first look at Ryan, major leaguers hit just .172 off his fastball, whiffing on more than 20 percent of their swings despite an average velocity of just 91.2 mph. It was early, but the Twins’ belief in the pitch’s uncommon characteristics appeared to be correct, as Ryan missed lots of bats up in the zone. And his off-speed pitches were surprisingly effective as well.

Ryan used his slider (16.0 percent), changeup (10.4) and curveball (7.8) sparingly in last season’s five-start debut, but he threw them all for strikes while avoiding big damage and missing bats.
[...]
He’s thrown just 52.0 percent fastballs this season and nearly doubled his slider usage from 16.0 to 30.3 percent, with very encouraging results. Ryan’s slider has held opponents to a .185 batting average and zero homers, and they’ve whiffed on 42.6 percent of swings against the pitch, sandwiched between Max Scherzer (43.6 percent) and Gerrit Cole (42.4) on the MLB leaderboard.

In addition to coaches, Ryan also credits veteran right-hander Chris Archer as playing a big role in his slider development. Archer and Ryan were in the Rays organization together, and when Archer signed with the Twins late in spring training they reconnected as rotation mates. Archer, a two-time All-Star and the owner of one of MLB’s best sliders, has become a go-to resource for Ryan.
[...]
“Adding the changeup and having the mix a little bit more will be good,” Ryan said. “That was a huge pitch for me last year and it makes such a difference. As needed, I’ll throw it more. I pitch pretty situationally. Find out which guys it’s going to work the best to. I don’t really look at it as righty or lefty necessarily. I look at it as this hitter and this hitter. And also a lot to do with situations.”

Sure enough, in his fourth start, Wednesday against the Tigers, facing a lineup with four left-handed hitters, Ryan used a pitch mix of 48 fastballs, 25 sliders and a season-high 12 changeups. It was his best start yet, with seven innings of shutout, one-hit ball featuring nine strikeouts and one walk, causing manager Rocco Baldelli to say afterward Ryan “has pitched like an ace to this point.”

Ryan has a sparkling 2.72 ERA, .152 opponents’ batting average and 55-to-11 strikeout-to-walk ratio through nine big-league starts
He's a BABIP monster right now and that'll fade, especially as the league updates its scouting reports and adjusts. Still, the transformation and adaptation he's shown already has to lend some confidence to his ability to counter.

quote:

perhaps even more impressively he’s already changed the lens through which his upside, approach and pitch mix should be viewed. His unique fastball keeps baffling hitters, his slider now looks like a swing-and-miss weapon and his changeup may be next.

“It’s always fun to learn from other people,” Ryan said.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I'm pleasantly surprised MLB has decided not to apply mcmagic's longstanding "bigotry is okay if
I
dislike the target" philosophy to player discipline.

In case there was any question about how much weight to give

mcmagic posted:

I just don't think he did anything that he should've been suspended for period.

It's excellent the league suspended Donaldson for this and players learning to run their trash talk through a "hey, is this going to be interpreted by the target as racist?" filter is a very good thing since, as we've seen, teammates and fanbases will eagerly give every benefit of the doubt in defense of even notorious shitheads.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Popete posted:

I remember going to a Cubs game and booing Addison Russell after he got a hit. Cheer for your team hope the lovely players get bounced out of the league.
Yup, particularly in baseball!

In other news, this is mostly being read as a Donaldson shot. I get the sense it may be a bit more Simba, but could also see that for whatever "you love him when he's on your team" vibe there is to Josh he's about the last person you want in a clubhouse during a season that began melting down 2 weeks in and never regained hope.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1528945409946787842

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The RSN OTT experiment is comical grasping at straws and really the only question is if it's going to hasten or delay the collapse of Sinclair and its ilk.

Overly condensing things: the RSN model (and thus baseball's local revenue model) is based on carriage fees, primarily from people who will never watch. The cable companies pay per subscriber to whatever package the RSN is in, so RSNs push (and try to activate the team's fanbase) to be in the basic setup rather than premium or a sports package. Which means the OTTs (Ballys+, etc) run into the same problem as ESPN+: There aren't enough people willing to subscribe at the pricepoint needed to make up for the nonfans currently subsidizing the costs. Which doesn't get in to the cordcutting that already has eaten into the carriage revenue justifying the megadeals.

Bally's+ amuses me most because it's stacking desperate ploys on top of each other: The idea that OTT can provide enough to limp along AND that sports betting will magically rescue the model.

For a silverlining, there is a school of thought where the term and value of the RSN deals are a major motivator for tanking, with the longer terms assuring owners that they'll have time to exit the rebuild (or at least show promise) before they need a new deal and the value dampening the losses in ticket and gameday revenue. If the RSNs survive, deals will come with lower revenues and shorter terms, making tanking and extended rebuilds less appealing on both fronts.

So that's probably good for the game? The baffling nonsense of trying to "grow the game" while locking it behind a paywall and lashing it to a dying industry... not so much.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Tommy Pham, April: I will murder every padre with my bare hands

Tommy Pham, May: I will slap you for shittalking the Padres

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

HamAdams posted:

he’s genuinely my favorite player right now, so fun to watch even if he’s not the type of guy to blast homers
His response to balls is one of my favorite things in baseball!

This is the other.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Twins are bringing Royce Lewis back up again
And in the third inning he crashes into the fence and gets up slowly.

No more Twins Prospects in CF? Stop building the CF wall out of spiked concrete? idk. Open to ideas.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Paracaidas posted:

And in the third inning he crashes into the fence and gets up slowly.

No more Twins Prospects in CF? Stop building the CF wall out of spiked concrete? idk. Open to ideas.

Nick Gordon appears to have replaced Royce. Welp.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Going to be like Smoltz ironing his shirt while wearing it, but cutting eyeholes in a pillowcase.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Did not realize how dire things were in San Diego despite the record:

quote:

Through 47 games, the Padres have hit fewer homers (35) than all but four teams. They rank 26th in slugging percentage (.356). Remove Machado’s voluminous offensive output, and San Diego would be slugging .328. Only the 17-29 Tigers (.320) are slugging worse than that.

Now, Machado is dealing with what the Padres are describing as tennis elbow; the early NL MVP favorite is expected back in the lineup Monday after missing the last two games, which San Diego split with the dreadful Pirates. Fernando Tatis Jr. might be able to return from wrist surgery in late June, but the team should not bank on the shortstop, with his injury history, as a slugging savior. The offense could use more than one additional big bat. The outfield has been particularly anemic: Until Jurickson Profar and Trent Grisham homered in Sunday’s walk-off win against Pittsburgh, Padres outfielders had homered just once since April 27.

Maybe some of the team’s underperformers will experience positive regressions. Maybe the Padres, slugging .338 at home, will enjoy a natural uptick as the weather warms. Maybe the recent introduction of a humidor at Petco Park, combined with the area’s relative humidity, will eventually lead to a surge in home runs. For now, the data has not been good: The Padres have been easily out-homered in their own ballpark (24 to 18). Overall, they rank last in the majors in barrel percentage and near the bottom in hard-hit rate.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

IcePhoenix posted:

There's not many players that would legitimately disappoint me on the team so I expect more than one of them on the list
I'm fascinated to see who it'll end up being. Rocco apparently already confirmed that Correa popped positive despite vax/boosters.

Speaking of, here's a fun recap of the last couple weeks:

Correa goes down for a couple weeks after taking multiple pitches off his hands. Luckily, former #1 overall draft pick Royce Lewis comes back from multiple years of dreadful performance and seasonending injuries and is performing well in AAA. He fills in admirably (if unsustainably) and gets sent down upon Correa's return to start getting reps in new positions at the minor league level rather than learning in the pros.

After a few days of intense pressure from fanbase, media, and apparently the clubhouse, Falvine call Royce back up to continue learning new positions in the pros. In his first game in CF, he slams into the wall and fucks up his surgically repaired knee so badly that he's on the DL while they wait for the swelling to go down enough to ascertain the damage. Luckily, he was being relied on as OF depth and not SS depth, since Correa is fine has COVID.

The AristoTwins!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

IcePhoenix posted:

Sorry what exactly are you basing this off of? His career minor league splits are .270/.339/.422. His 2019 was bad but then he tore up the Fall League.

Paracaidas posted:

Luckily, former #1 overall draft pick Royce Lewis comes back from multiple years of dreadful performance and seasonending injuries
I was looping the season ending injuries in with "multiple years" rather than its own separate clause. With that said, 2019 came on the heels of a terrible end to 2018, with nearly as many Ks (22) as hits (28) en route to hitting .230/.296/.385 in August and September to cap off his year in High A.

His bad years came while massively underage (2 PAs against younger pitchers in 2018) and were, as you note, followed by an elite fall league performance but "he was young for his league when he was bad and he had a solid AFL before his knee exploded on the ice in Texas" wasn't exactly inspiring for his 2022 odds.

Thrilled that he was doing well both in AAA and the show. Bummed that he got hurt quick in Center and that there's currently too much swelling and scar tissue to assess the longterm damage.

(E:gently caress batting average, bothered to do the math)

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 31, 2022

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Milovan Drecun posted:

The Twins didn't cave to pressure lmao. They sent him down to minimize him learning new positions on the fly in the majors (some of which he had never played at any level), with every expectation they would be calling him up as soon as there was a need. The script went exactly as predicted, with the exception being he immediately hit a wall.
I'd honestly forgotten that he started in CF for the Saints on 5/27. With that said, "he was down because we didn't want him learning new positions on the fly" doesn't seem like it's accomplished by a 10 game stretch with 2 starts at LF, 2 at 3B, and 1 at CF.
YMMV if this sounds like a less-than-2-week trip

quote:

“He hasn’t really done it at multiple positions,” Twins president of baseball operations Derek Falvey said. “We’re excited by what he has shown already. He’s handled himself exceptionally well for a young kid who hasn’t played baseball for a while. That’s a huge step in the right direction. We still want him to be a shortstop. We still want that skill to continue to be developed. But we also recognize: Let’s put him in Triple A for a period of time to get him some exposure to some other spots, move him around some, so he can be ready to contribute in multiple places this year for us, maybe in the short to the medium term.”

Milovan Drecun posted:

Twins fans want to find ways to complain about their first place team, presumably to pre-empt the inevitable pain of a playoff sweep.
The team has been unexpectedly exciting this year and that's been great. Devin Smeltzer of all people stacking stellar emergency starts is fun, like a taste of a decade ago with Tommy Milone and Cole De Vries while still leading the divison.

Bummed that Royce's knee may have gone boom on him again, for the short term (voluminous Nick Gordon playing time), long term (2 knee injuries for a prospect prized for his speed and with longstanding questions about his future at SS is... not great), and just on a personal level for the kid. Had they stuck to what I understood their plan to be (not letting his 3rd ever professional appearance in CF come in the MLB), it wouldn't have occurred.

e:

Hand Knit posted:

Their 15-7 record in 1-run games is a reflection of moral virtue.
*Looks at 11-5 Padres*
Checks out.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 1, 2022

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://mobile.twitter.com/AP_Sports/status/1532134702261354496
Donaldson is, in many ways, the model of fragility.

Also in case you thought that he was lying about his issues recalling past incidents with Anderson and the Sox for selfserving reasons, I suggest to you that the man simply is incapable of retaining memories

quote:

“I think that was tough to hear, for sure, just for the simple fact that I pride myself on being a good teammate, and everywhere I’ve went, every organization that I’ve been a part of, minus Oakland, has offered me extensions, has wanted me to stay back,” Donaldson said during batting practice Wednesday, hours before a night game against the Angels was rained out.
Perhaps someone can help refresh him on a recent team who did NOT offer him an extension or want him to stay back.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
New round of assholes exposed by Toronto just dropped:

https://mobile.twitter.com/dohyoungpark/status/1532720928320274432

This loving prick:
https://mobile.twitter.com/betsyhelfand/status/1532726556577112064

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

HamAdams posted:

bummer, i kinda liked kepler.

I did too, but then I found his extended remarks beyond what Betsy quoted:
https://youtu.be/rKR32ImWYzw?t=43s

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Sydin posted:

Which you know, should be the default, but hey. Gotta make up for those biblical losses.
I'm convinced, despite lacking any evidence, that a good chunk of this is just aimed at generating planned obsolescence of org guys. Your own room? Even mediocre pay? Halfdecent nutrition? Who would leave that to go start an office job somewhere?

Nobody has to have the awkward conversation of cutting the 29yo neverwas in AA if he just retires!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

camoseven posted:

I just found out the Tigers demoted Akil Baddoo after 17 games this season :psyduck: He was a legit major leaguer last year, and his stats this year were bad but not comically so. He doesn't have anything to work on in AAA and you're not competing this year, what a stupid thing to do
He's a 23 year old with zero games at AA and 6 total at AAA including his 2 this year. His .766 OPS last year was remarkable for a Rule V who previously topped out at A ball but maybe isn't "the minors couldn't possibly serve his development" territory.

I'm all for a good :lol:tigers, not sure this is it.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

IcePhoenix posted:

A Twins rep sends me emails still because I bought tickets for a work outing once and I'm looking forward to responding and citing this as the specific reason I'm refusing to come to a game this year

Inordinately expensive, prone to crashes, often leaves you wondering what you paid for...

First NFT giveaway I've seen that's on brand

jk love you buck

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

The guest services person can stamp it if you don't want to.
They also typically have free "first game" swag at most parks, I've seen (and heard of) everything from 8.5x11 mass copied certificates to baseball cards to random giveaways to (personal favorite) small vials of "dirt from the infield".

The spirit, as I understand it, is typically for a kid's first game... but I see no issues with "first game in this park". Though now that I think on it, I don't know if that ritual survived COVID.

PARKCHAT!
Best I've been to: Petco, PNC, Target Field
Worst I've been to: Metrodome (once they stopped doing the windtunnel of death), Chase, Fenway, Atlanta (on mallpark principle alone, though the Aaron stuff was cool as gently caress)

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Awesome!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Checking in out west:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AJCassavell/status/1534758823100985344

Seems impressive for having 1.5 competent players at the plate?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

IcePhoenix posted:

e: I guess my main point is refocus your love and embrace Arraez because he rules in similar ways but is actually good at baseball

https://mobile.twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1535059021186887680

ETA:
Gehrhrhrhrhrit Cole?
https://mobile.twitter.com/dohyoungpark/status/1535061102421221397

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 10, 2022

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
:ssh:every ballpark has the same network and the password is the same at all of them:ssh:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

mcmagic posted:

I think if Judge leaves the Yankees it will be for a california team. There was an article in the Post about how Cohen and Hal have a good relationship because the Yankees didn't oppose him buying the team and that Cohen wouldn't want to spit in the Yankees face by poaching Judge.
Owners can have a little collusion, as a treat

Baseball fans always baffle me with the praise of and advocacy for paying players less than the value they produce because owners can exploit the market to spend that dollar "more effectively". At least the other leagues have the salary cap imposing some level of scarcity that makes it a less :rolleyes: discussion.

Given how much higher the marginal revenue per win is for the Yankees*, Judge would be worth every cent of a $300m deal provided his age decline isn't positively Howardesque and he doesn't suffer catastrophic injury.

*nerding out slightly: revenue per win is decidedly not linear, in that going from 50 to 60 wins is still an abysmal team with little marginal value but 80 to 90 wins is extremely lucrative for playoffs, ratings, sponsorships, gate, and gameday revenues. At the top end, there is a point where going from really good to really really good presents diminishing returns. Especially given the division, the Yankees are nowhere near that good

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Poque posted:

Excited for the Padres/Blue Jays world series before I wake up from my coma and return to hellworld
Hard same. A beautiful spotlight for Vlad, Tatis, and Manny.

Mellow Seas posted:

Get off your soap box, everybody knows it's bullshit. We just recognize that our teams are run by misers and know that they do have budgets, even if those budgets are artificially low. I know that $40 million for a guy putting up a .750 OPS in 90 games will absolutely gently caress up my 2031 Yankees viewing experience. I'm not gonna fuckin' boycott over it.
:shrug: I see a distinction between preferring to spend the money elsewhere and seeing the player as not worth the money. Fully get others may not split that hair.

The bulk of my last 12 years of fandom have been spent on a team with like half its payroll on players suffering a catastrophic age and injury decline. It's not pleasant!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Paid at the lower rate iirc, paid the difference if the player wins
Per Adler, that's correct

quote:

MLB and the MLBPA worked out a deal where the players would be paid at the salary the club filed at ($17 million), and his pay will be adjusted if the arbitrator sides with the player ($21 million).

Which is somehow the more equitable of the arb compromises this year-the other was that players weren't fully guaranteed until opening day unless they settled with the team in advance... so, sure hope you didn't get injured in spring training or report a bit chubby.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
^^God willing

STAC Goat posted:

I have no idea if Judge will be gone. I don’t think he will. I feel like the Yankees won’t lose him over a relative amount of bookkeeping or a fear of him not being worth him clogging DH in 2030 and he won’t ditch being the most beloved Yankee since Jeter and being talked about next to Babe and Mantle so he can risk being one of those dudes who signs a massive deal elsewhere and just ends up running out his career as an albatross and bad contract story.
Honestly the best solution to me feels something like 225/5 before an optout and then 75/5 as the back half. Maybe a team option with a $30m buyout after year 7. Basically the Yankees guaranteeing $60m for the right to pay him around his value now while protecting themselves on the back end and betting that Judge feels confident enough about the back half and rising salaries that he'll bet on beating $85/5 in a few years rather than hunting $310/10.

May not be particularly appealing to the Yankees, but a structure of them risking $60m and 2 years of a roster spot while Judge risks $25m (310-225-60) feels like it solidly balances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Do the stadium owners own the concession stands/restaurants and decide what to put there themselves, or do they take bids or just offers from chefs/businesses?

Are all the workers seasonal or do they have things to do the rest of the year?

Secular Woods Sex is correct that they're usually subcontracted out (I assume because staffing and logistics are a pain in the rear end). Teams typically have as much or little say as they'd like in what gets served, and different concessionaires (DNC,Aramark, Levy, etc) will have different policies on how licensing relationships work with branded stands -- sometimes it's a flat fee or as a part of a larger partnership, other times a cut of sales. In the former, they're usually staffed by the concessionaires, same as any other stand. For the latter, they're usually staffed by the restaurant itself.

I know staffing has been a nationwide issue even prepandemic because apparently the concessionaire business model was "the post-08 labor market will continue forever" and the idea of paying workers more is anathema... which is why you've started to see more concessionaires offer some sort of fundraising component where groups work and get their 'wages' and an infinitesimal share of the stand's proceeds donated to their cause. Turns out people showing up for a couple nights as "better than a carwash" are less demanding about reasonable wages while serving $14 beers than staff who, yknow, needs the money.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I could see some of the better stadiums opening for lunch or something if the weather isn't bad or they have doors. I would say with reduced costs on the menu but yeah right.
My understanding is that this is a tough sell for the suburban mallparks (nobody is around at lunch) and the downtown stadiums (you're competing against the restaurants fattened by the 25-35k people coming out 81 times a year and you're usually located less conveniently). But it seems like more teams are exploring builtin sportsbooks (sorry, "fantasy sports lounges" and "esports destinations"), so that may be about to change.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 26, 2022