Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Baseball is back, and my boy Kyle is starting. Let's hope this year sucks a little less than last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Remember when the Yankees could've actually traded Gleyber Torres for something? lol. Now they should just loving cut him.

The Yankees are a 3 run team. They were a 3 run team last year and they are avg'ing 3 runs a game this year. Just a bad offensive team that didn't get any better over the offseason.

I remember some Cubs fans really prospect hugging when they sent him off to NY. No one is ever a guaranteed star I guess.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

But the 80s throwback red and blue uniforms sox are also cool.

I love the red and dark blue Sox uniforms, but that could be because I'm a child of the 80s. I get why they moved away from that though since they are pretty close to Cubs colors.

Frankly, they need to bring back the :lol: logo.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Arrieta had such a wild career to me. Bad in Baltimore, comes to the Cubs and is good to great for like five seasons, then immediately back to bad. Like he managed to figure it out for a few years and then lost it again. I guess that's pitching for you.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Peggy Edson posted:

Twins are 4-8 and have been shutout 4 times already. This is gonna be a great season :bravo:

I'd consider it a failure ff the White Sox don't have the AL Central outright won by the first week of September. Everyone sucks.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

White Sox seem cursed with injuries the last couple of years.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sydin posted:

Hell of a thing to say when Nico's actually been beyond surprising with elite SS defense (97th percentile OAA so far in 2022) and you could have just... played him at SS as usual? You've got the goddamn universal DH Ross, if you absolutely need Villar's bat in the lineup then just DH him. He's clearly got some yips right now and something insane like 3 of the Cubs' 9 losses so far are a direct result of Villar throwing errors.

Did you read the article? Like the first sentence is how Ross only plays him to give Nico a rest. He just doesn’t have much of a choice unless he wants to kill Nico over the season.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Miz Kriss posted:

I didn't know that KC was the "City of Fountains." My fat rear end thought it was the City of BBQ :btroll:

The city of BBQ sauce fountains.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Considering their normal work hours are like 5 PM to midnight, I probably wouldn’t go to be until 2 AM either.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I’m still appreciating how the Cubs spent a bunch of money to start a new channel and at the same time are spending like no money on the actual team.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Popete posted:

How is the Cubs 2022 payroll 145 million dollars??

gently caress, and I thought they were being cheap. What a colossal waste of money.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Schwindel is OPSing above Madrigal and only slightly below Heyward. Unless the Cubs have some big bat in Iowa, might as well let him stick it out. Not like the Cubs are winning anything anyway.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Jake Junis pitched well yesterday, going five solid innings against the Cards. Giants have had had some pitchers get hurt, and Junis has done pretty well filling in, and I think that says something interesting about the team's approach towards pitching.

Junis wasn't very good in Kansas City. They non-tendered him last year, and the Giants signed him for $1.75 million. His services were not in demand. His best pitch is a slider, and in KC, he threw it about 40% of the time. Yesterday, 45 of his 79 pitches were sliders. On the season, he's throwing 56% sliders. He's basically abandoned his four-seamer, in favor of a sinker and a change. And it's been 3 whole games, but he looks different.

I'm not saying Jakob Junis is having some breakout year. He's just a guy, and hopefully he goes back to the bullpen soon. But I think this is so cool, how Zaidi gets the best out of pitchers with analytics and not being afraid to tinker. If your fastball sucks, then stop throwing it. Throw your good pitches more. It sounds so simple, you know? But it seems to work.

Just quoting this because I know Jake's father, and I'm really glad he's getting another chance. Hope he pans out for the Giants, even if he's a perpetual 4th or 5th starter or even a bullpen arm.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 9, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Is he related to those other Kochs?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Popete posted:

So I played in this game tonight and it was a lot of fun. We were actually fairly competitive through 6 innings holding the Boomers to only 5 runs before our defense kind of fell apart. The wind was really whipping which didn't help in the outfield.

It was really cool to face real professional pitchers and as you might expect it was difficult but I felt good at the plate and worked the count both of my ABs. Was fouling balls straight back so I was at least on time just a hair under everything. I got robbed my final AB on 3-2 fastball that was low but the ump rung me up. Oh well, a neat experience and it was fun to play in front of a smallish crowd with PA announcers and concessions open.

This is super cool. Can’t even imagine what a 90 mph feels like as it zooms past me.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Being a PR or Promo guy for a minor league team must be a lot of fun. Probably pays poo poo, but it seems fun.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

are the 2022 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox frauds????

I haven’t watched the Sox much this year. Is LaRussa loving them, or are they just really underperforming?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Schwindel seems to have been oddly clutch lately.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The Cubs are good!

When the play the Reds or Pirates.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

There are a billion things to hate the Ricketts for, but charging $659 a night for a 4-star hotel directly across the street from Wrigley during a weekend series against the Cardinals in June doesn't seem unreasonable to me. :shrug:

The Tweet is worded like it was a surprise huge bill, when they had to agree to that price before booking. Like you do with literally every hotel.

Yea, no one made her book that hotel, and I’m sure she knew the cost up front. It’s a non-controversy.

Anyway, went to the game today. Should’ve gone yesterday.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I couldn’t tell, was it the same pitcher the whole time? If so, how the hell is that guy not pulled after the second hit batsmen?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I missed that the White Sox released Keuchel. D Backs picked him up on a minor league deal. That guy fell off hard and fast. Very Arrieta like.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

Joe was good in the first couple years with the Cubs keeping everyone from getting sucked into the Cubs Vortex. How he managed Game 7 was one of the dumbest loving things I've ever seen in my life.

Mismanaging game 7 was preluded by mismanaging a near blowout win in game 6.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Cubs being Cubs should have been way more than -4 wins.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I've seen all but 4 teams, Tampa, Atlanta, Texas, Houston. Although some teams I saw in old stadiums, but I still count that. Like I saw the Pirates in Three Rivers, and Yankees in the old Yankee Stadium. I've taken a hiatus on baseball trips since my kid came around, but I'm hoping I can get back to it next year. I really want to get those last four off my list.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

camoseven posted:

Kids love baseball, take your kid to baseball

I will, but he's 3 and he naps from 1-4 and goes to be at 7:30. He's asleep during pretty much all baseball times. Next year he'll probably stop napping and I'll take him to games. Might try out going to a Chicago Dogs game this year and see how it goes.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Red posted:

The first time I went, I was surprised that the tunnels felt like caves. Even moreso that there were wires/cables running along the walls.

And outside the stadium looked like something from The Warriors.

I went when I was 10, so I don’t remember much about it except it being kind of old and beat up. Yankee fans were not the friendliest either, but that hasn’t changed.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

bawfuls posted:

yup, this guy's site has some good data on this sort of thing

It is a trend across the sport over time. Older stadiums tended to have pillars supporting the upper levels so they had more overhang and were closer to the field. Newer stadiums tend to eliminate posts that obstruct the view for lower levels, which pushes the upper levels further away from the field.

Yea I get why it’s done, but it really sucks for anyone who needs to sit in the cheap seats. Wrigley’s upper deck is a great place to watch the game because you are still pretty close to the action. The upper deck at Comiskey is like you’re miles away.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

more falafel please posted:

The only bad seats at Wrigley are behind the pillars in the 200s and 400s. The 300s are probably my favorite, either that or right at first base in the first few rows of the 200s. Or just text Bleacher Jeff and ask him to save you a seat in the left field well if you buy him a beer.

The seats really far back in the 200s are pretty awful. Can’t even see fly balls because of the overhang. Seats behind the pillars aren’t awful as long as you’re not like one or two rows back. Once you get 4-5 rows back I don’t find them to be too distracting.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I didn't watch the game yesterday, why was Hendricks pulled so early? Just because he gave up a double to start the 5th?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It’s Major League by a country mile.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I'm genuinely impressed that umps are aware of all these esoteric rules and remember to use them when something like this happens almost never.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Traxis posted:

Craig Kimbrel sucks

He was good enough for half a year last year that the Cubs could trade him.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm glad rizzo is thriving on a team that cares about winning.

He’s like the only former Cub who is even doing anything this year.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Niwrad posted:

I am starting to turn on Hoyer and Ross in Chicago.

I really haven't been watching many games. Is Ross that bad of a game manager? It's not like he has a lot to work with. Not that I'd be that upset about moving on, it was always an odd hire.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's not like Ross has much to work with. We won't know about Hoyer until all the talent we traded for at the deadline last year pans out, which might take several years. Hiring a new coach and GM seems like an overreaction and a "win now" move, which is not something the Cubs are trying to do.

My guess is they treat Ross just like Rick Renteria. As soon as the team looks like it's competitive, they'll fire him for a known entity. He always seemed like a seat warmer hire until the team could be good again.

E: I was looking at old Cubs managers and no one really makes it longer than four years anyway, so Ross getting fired after 2023 would be right on schedule.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 22, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

more falafel please posted:

My wife is pescatarian and has become an expert on the cheese pizza offerings at big league parks.

Cheese pizza, basic nachos, and hopefully veggie dogs are pretty much what I eat at ballparks. Veggie dogs are 50/50 whether they’ll suck or not. Wrigley’s veggie dogs blow and cost like twice as much of a regular dog. I remember hanging a good veggie dog in Cincinnati way back when.

Usually I just try to eat before I get to the park and then I just eat a pretzel or something.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sir Dingleby Dapper posted:

Steve Stone (color guy for the White Sox) apparently tweeted telling upset fans to stop watching. Oh boy the comments are something else.

Stoney is going to get himself fired again.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sydin posted:

Cubs can't beat the Pirates to save their lives but imo that's a fine trade for being able to take a series off the Cards on the road. :toot:

Funny poo poo like this is all we have this year.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Carlosologist posted:

Pittsburgh goons, where are some good places to hang out / fun things to do outside of going to PNC? My buddies and I are planning to hit the two game set for Yanks-Pirates next week

Not a Pittsburgh goon, but the Andy Warhol museum is pretty cool, and also very close to PNC. If you have any interest in Warhol, I'd pay it a visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Vancouver would be a good spot if Seattle didn’t object. Getting Montreal back would be cool, but is there enough support there?

Maybe OKC or Nashville? The south is void of teams between Atlanta and Houston, which is a big gap.