Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Problem description: Steam account got hacked and now all my games are in borrow like I'm in a family share with my own account.
Attempted fixes: I created a new account, tried to reset the password for my old one but the email and phone number had already been changed so I couldn't do so.

Recent changes: None, just fell partially for a scam, luckily this is as far as they got.

--

Operating system:Windows 10

System specs: Machine manufacturer/model number. Advent DT1310b

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

After a very bad day I had my account partially stolen on steam. I log in on a new account, as my old one had the email and phone changed, and it connects to my old game library, but is in family share mode and asking me to borrow games instead of playing. I have an account number for the account that it's sharinbg from, so if I can find a way to contact steam to tell them what's going on I can tell them exactly which account was my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I don't think anyone here will be able to troubleshoot for you. Contact Steam support and give as many details as possible. Might help to have receipts from purchases proving you own the account, and of course the old email you used to register.

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/0A94-F308-34A5-1988

e2: didnt notice your email was changed. follow this article.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 8, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The problem with that article is that first of all, the help site won't help as that only works if you have a valid phone number or email, both of which have been changed.

Secondly they say to add proof of ownership to a support ticket, but which support ticket would I select? There isn't a category that allows you to make one about stolen accounts, stolen accounts just loop you to the "enter your email or phone number to get a reset link" page, which goes back to square one.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

BioEnchanted posted:

The problem with that article is that first of all, the help site won't help as that only works if you have a valid phone number or email, both of which have been changed.

Secondly they say to add proof of ownership to a support ticket, but which support ticket would I select? There isn't a category that allows you to make one about stolen accounts, stolen accounts just loop you to the "enter your email or phone number to get a reset link" page, which goes back to square one.

Just submit a general ticket?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

Just submit a general ticket?

THanks, I'll try that. Sorry, it's been a long, terrible day and this didn't help.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

BioEnchanted posted:

THanks, I'll try that. Sorry, it's been a long, terrible day and this didn't help.

I lost my Blizzard account back in 2010 to a hacker that popped my Hotmail account too (I was dumb and used the same password).

I had to submit a photo of my passport next to my SC2 key attached to the account on top of a copy of that days newspaper to get it back.

Never got the Hotmail account back

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

The article specifically says to submit your email, not the email currently on your account. Meaning, you can provide proof of ownership to them based on their guidelines found there. I would certainly submit a general ticket if it's got you spinning in UI.

Did you click my edited post?

quote:

I'm concerned I may not be able to recover my account

You can always  contact Steam Support for account recovery even if someone has changed the account's email address, password, and phone number.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 9, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

The article specifically says to submit your email, not the email currently on your account. Meaning, you can provide proof of ownership to them based on their guidelines found there. I would certainly submit a general ticket if it's got you spinning in UI.

Did you click my edited post?

Yes, I have. My current problem is that none of the games on my account were physical, and steam support is saying that they need a physical CD key with my ticket number written on a piece of paper near it, and none of my store-bought pc games were linked to my account, so I don't have one.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Are you saying you've never bought a humble (or any other) bundle and redeemed Steam keys from it? If it needs to be "physical", print out one of the redemption pages that lists keys you used.

Make sure you have 2FA enabled on your email address, Steam, and everything else possible.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

astral posted:

Are you saying you've never bought a humble (or any other) bundle and redeemed Steam keys from it? If it needs to be "physical", print out one of the redemption pages that lists keys you used.

Make sure you have 2FA enabled on your email address, Steam, and everything else possible.

If any of my games did need keys I can't find any, I've checked all my email receipts and none of them have the key written on them. I normally buy games individually. I did buy the Sunless bundle and the zero escape trilogy, but the e-receipts have no cd key on it for those either and I don't know if there's a place to check my cd key history.

Because I can't access the account that purchased the games, they don't appear in my history now that I found where to look. My history is totally blank so I have no way of finding the keys (I had to make a new account just to contact steam support).
If I end up having to abandon it and making a new account, one of the first things I'll do is get a physical game installed and linked to the new account so that I'll have a physical one I can point to.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 9, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

If any of my games did need keys I can't find any, I've checked all my email receipts and none of them have the key written on them. I normally buy games individually. I did buy the Sunless bundle and the zero escape trilogy, but the e-receipts have no cd key on it for those either and I don't know if there's a place to check my cd key history.

Because I can't access the account that purchased the games, they don't appear in my history now that I found where to look. My history is totally blank so I have no way of finding the keys (I had to make a new account just to contact steam support).
If I end up having to abandon it and making a new account, one of the first things I'll do is get a physical game installed and linked to the new account so that I'll have a physical one I can point to.

Go to the Humblebundle site, login, and go to your library. Should have any keys you bought there

https://imgur.com/zvj80Qm

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I never used that website, so all that creating an account there did was lead to a blank library.

Thanks for trying, this has been a really frustrating situation.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
If you read the support article and click proof of ownership you’ll see you can also use any credit or debit card used to buy a game, or close to 20 other payment options. Unless you’ve never purchased a game on the account in which case what is even on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Cyks posted:

If you read the support article and click proof of ownership you’ll see you can also use any credit or debit card used to buy a game, or close to 20 other payment options. Unless you’ve never purchased a game on the account in which case what is even on it.

I did that already. They are asking for the cd key on top of that, which the article doesn't mention at all.