Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

any half-competent salaried contract includes a stipulation that you basically can’t work anywhere else at the same time (moonlighting clause). when they find out you do they will fire you. if they’re very angry they will also sue you to claw back some of your wages.

Jonny 290 posted:

there's a clause in our employment rules that say we gotta tell the cfo and legal if we have another job that we actually get an annual income statement from. lol i had to do it with my twitch stream. (they were like "yea sure thats fine just dont do it during work hours")

yeah my contract has the "no other work without permission from the company" clause

but they gotta catch you first, if they're so bloated and disorganized with disconnected management to overemploy a bunch of people, i have doubts on their ability to get their poo poo together enough to do anything beyond maybe fire you :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

polyester concept posted:

lmao that owns

reminds me of the story of the guy that outsourced his own job to somebody in china and nobody noticed until they started asking questions about why there was so much vpn access from foreign ip’s

he was a verizon employee

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

mediaphage posted:

i feel you hard but have you looked at what’s out there in terms of remote work?

I did. and got some attractive offers too. but all wanted me in Wellington/auckland for at least the first six months to “bed in”. can’t really do that yet. looking at the price of long term single studio appartments/rooms in those cities is very depressing. especially when I think I have to live in that away from my family for x number of months.

wife and I have sort of decided that we will look at it all again once the kids have left home. wife is a teacher so also have that to consider. so for now I be over employed in the same job.

and also tend to the farm.

my chainsaw broke on the weekend :mad:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I turned down a job last night. it was 10k above what I am on now but in return I’d have to work harder, and I thought about all this thread had taught me and concluded that the right thing to do was stay in my comfort zone

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

I turned down a job last night. it was 10k above what I am on now but in return I’d have to work harder, and I thought about all this thread had taught me and concluded that the right thing to do was stay in my comfort zone

...don't you already work way harder than what your contract says you should? is this not potentially you turning down something good?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
thats the thing about your comfort zone - its comfortable. Everyone likes being comfortable.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

...don't you already work way harder than what your contract says you should? is this not potentially you turning down something good?

I’d been doing extra work at other pharmacies so that’s why the big hours m, that’s over now tho

but regardless, my job gets busy sometimes because of temporary lack or staffing, and poor time management by the manager (me)

but the job I’ve turned down is busy all of the time because their business model fundamentally relies on it

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Moo Cowabunga posted:

I did. and got some attractive offers too. but all wanted me in Wellington/auckland for at least the first six months to “bed in”. can’t really do that yet. looking at the price of long term single studio appartments/rooms in those cities is very depressing. especially when I think I have to live in that away from my family for x number of months.

wife and I have sort of decided that we will look at it all again once the kids have left home. wife is a teacher so also have that to consider. so for now I be over employed in the same job.

and also tend to the farm.

my chainsaw broke on the weekend :mad:

moo man if you want to work remotely with occasional travel into The City then theres lots of places in NZ that can hook that up. slide into my DMs if you think AWS would be an ok place to work. theres no requirement to be in an office for onboarding at all

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Gentle Autist posted:

moo man if you want to work remotely with occasional travel into The City then theres lots of places in NZ that can hook that up. slide into my DMs if you think AWS would be an ok place to work. theres no requirement to be in an office for onboarding at all

/would/ aws be an okay place to work? a recruiter just slid into my email to ask if i'd be into being a `system development engineer` there. for what it's worth i've been a `site reliability engineer` for the last few years, not that i give a poo poo, it's all just transmuting my anger at computers into understanding and finally a paycheck

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

psiox posted:

/would/ aws be an okay place to work? a recruiter just slid into my email to ask if i'd be into being a `system development engineer` there. for what it's worth i've been a `site reliability engineer` for the last few years, not that i give a poo poo, it's all just transmuting my anger at computers into understanding and finally a paycheck

i like it but I work in the Solutions Architecture group, not sure what its like in engineering

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

psiox posted:

every once in a while Jeff bezos walks in with his muscle shirt and shades and takes your lunch money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Gentle Autist posted:

:kiddo: thanks man