Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Color?
Yellow
Red
Green
Blue
Black
White
View Results

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Guy looks like an NPC they wouldn't bother to name and shows up to wipe your whole team repeatedly.

Miguel is probably the coolest character Square ever made. The story of this game is incomprehensible and so many characters are just nothing, but here's a middle-aged nobody fisherman who has been enslaved for eternity by an evil supercomputer from a dead timeline because he accidentally walked into a top-secret listening post from the future, and now he's going to kick the poo poo out of you and all your friends with his Cthulhu power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There ought to be an RPG where you recruit a ridiculous number of people, and they can fight every random encounter and boss, balance be damned.

Star Ocean: I&F :barf: let you run all 7 party members in combat

shame about everything else

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

When the launcher starts up and the cover of "Sailing (Another World)" plays, the only option is to hear it in full on repeat.

It's a missed opportunity there's no "Delete Korcha" mod.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 12, 2022

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
This is the remaster CC fans deserve

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

worm girl posted:

Miguel is probably the coolest character Square ever made. The story of this game is incomprehensible and so many characters are just nothing, but here's a middle-aged nobody fisherman who has been enslaved for eternity by an evil supercomputer from a dead timeline because he accidentally walked into a top-secret listening post from the future, and now he's going to kick the poo poo out of you and all your friends with his Cthulhu power.

:agreed:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the story isn't remotely incomprehensible if you're willing to pay attention

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
“incoherent” might be more accurate. it’s a story desperately in search of something meaningful to say and spends thousands and thousands of words failing to say it

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Here is an attempt at a mostly non-spoiler summary of who is first recruitable in each section:

so basically aside from orange comments that exclude some characters, you SHOULD be able to get everyone under a header before moving onto next header if you are thorough.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The moral of Chrono Cross is that all dwarves are cunts.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

You can actually get Draggy far earlier by just going back to Dragonia before the game wants you to

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

An Actual Princess posted:

the story isn't remotely incomprehensible if you're willing to pay attention

Eh there is some stuff that's kind of confusing, like "How did FATE make Miguel a Guardian in the Dead Sea and also destroy it after his defeat if FATE doesn't exist in Home World?"

Oxxidation posted:

“incoherent” might be more accurate. it’s a story desperately in search of something meaningful to say and spends thousands and thousands of words failing to say it

I don't know that it's trying to say anything meaningful. It's a story about how Belthasar enacts a 10D chess plan to save Schala after she was absorbed by Lavos at the Ocean Palace. I guess it does touch on a few other topics, which I'll grant it doesn't spend any time on really. I guess one of them is "Humans are destructive" which we see with stuff like the Hydra Marshes, but also with the dragon gods who came from a future where the Reptites coexisted with nature. The big one isn't touched on much either but Lucca's ghost talks about it a little bit, about how she felt sort of guilty because denying the future where Lavos destroyed the world also inadvertently caused a bunch of people who would have existed in that future to cease existing, almost as if they'd killed those people off themselves. She doesn't think that it means it was wrong to defeat Lavos, but it was almost like a "What right do we have to dictate what the future should hold and who should get to exist?" thing.

Again, though, it doesn't spend much time on it, I'm not saying it addressed the issue well.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think someone either earlier in the thread or in the RPG thread mentioned it, but Chrono Cross' story, such as it is, is mostly a collection of emotionally evocative set pieces moreso than it is a coherent or thought-provoking narrative. It's the equivalent of, say, going into a gallery and staring at Guernica without prior knowledge: it evokes sadness, desperation, and grief, even if the actual context behind those emotions is absent.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Take that, Guernica!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I've come around on the remake since it comes with the first legit and objectively best version of Radical Dreamers. Game preservation and all that.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

New overworld map upscale for the remaster from the M&M modding discord: https://discord.com/invite/bSnpVBV

https://imgsli.com/MTAzNTg5

There are a couple other releases so far like a pack for upscaled cutscenes, a framelimiter hex edit, portraits
https://discord.com/channels/371784427162042368/941109097049235549

Every .dat asset in the remaster is a simple archive that can be opened and modified with 7zip/winrar

edit: the hex edit info is also here
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1133760/discussions/0/3274688652643641688/

Make a backup of your exe if you're going to apply it with a hex editor like HxD
The second option of setting 83 46 14 01 at the first offset and 83 46 14 00 at the second offset has a noticeable difference in fps consistency on my end

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 13, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I wanted to play this on ps4 but PC looks to be the way to go if things get modded

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Electromax posted:

Here is an attempt at a mostly non-spoiler summary of who is first recruitable in each section:

so basically aside from orange comments that exclude some characters, you SHOULD be able to get everyone under a header before moving onto next header if you are thorough.

Because you're allowed to access Home Fort Dragonia early, you can recruit Draggy as soon you get the boat as Lynx.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I took the time to evolve pip into holy beast form once. Still didn’t make Pip worth using, really.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Kara Comparetto released a 1.5 hour video of Chrono Cross's entire soundtrack on piano today. It's pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8ZriJ8FTp8

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Serious protip that I didn't realize until now: if you trap an element from an enemy, you keep it even if you run away. And since you can run away from any fight, you can trap as many elements as you want from bosses.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Official Twitter confirmed today that the idea of the final battle's mechanics with the Time Devourer was thought up first and the rest of the battle system was decided as a result of that.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
That's pretty funny. Interesting that no other battle had a mechanic involving a specific order of elements iirc. Idk, maybe fire then wind on a wooden boss to fan the flames or whatever.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Official Twitter confirmed today that the idea of the final battle's mechanics with the Time Devourer was thought up first and the rest of the battle system was decided as a result of that.

Yoko Taro reads this tweet and expresses confusion at the idea of having the final boss use the same mechanics as the rest of the game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Beat Miguel the first time, having been warned of him. Just never stay white. The unskippable monologue is nearly as bad as Seymour Flux.

Cross doesn't asks the player to actually to customise the grid unless you're using traps , given that there are 40 different ones.

The trap system seems poorly thought out given you have to metagame for it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Big Scary Owl posted:

This is the remaster CC fans deserve

:yeah:

Is there a Chrono Trigger 2 anywhere? Fan Made obviously, but like a SNES rom hack, or a stand alone, or a spiritual successor or anything? CC Has nothing that made CT special and that's a shame.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beat Miguel the first time, having been warned of him. Just never stay white. The unskippable monologue is nearly as bad as Seymour Flux.

Cross doesn't asks the player to actually to customise the grid unless you're using traps , given that there are 40 different ones.

You don't really. You can run from any battle so if you want an element you just can hop out and change a trap in.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Not sure why the Dragoons brought a six year old to a dangerous corner of space-time, but there you go.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i dont think any jrpg will ever top the miguel scene emotionally

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Holy Dragon Sword is scary for newcomers but I think the real bitch of the fight is the insta Meteor Shower when he is low on health followed by his next turn being Holy Light, a move you haven't even seen yet. I think the odds of this combo taking most players by surprise and wiping them out is pretty high, especially if MS killed somebody.

I can't think of a single other boss in the game who does this, either. Maybe Marcy....I think her double Ice Blast might be linked to her getting low health. But it really is a "welp, time to start over again with this vital knowledge" moment.

Not sure why the Dragoons brought a six year old to a dangerous corner of space-time, but there you go.

Ahem, that 9-year-old is a beast and one of the best party members.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Isn't there a save point there? The monologue is "skippable" if you just run away when the fight starts then save.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Are there XCOM odds to accuracy? 95% hit rate my arse.

Argue posted:

Isn't there a save point there? The monologue is "skippable" if you just run away when the fight starts then save.

Miguel doesn't let you leave the screen.

NikkolasKing posted:

Ahem, that 9-year-old is a beast and one of the best party members.

Her Home self gets frozen three years before the game starts.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Her Home self gets frozen three years before the game starts.

Oh yeah, good point.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Are there XCOM odds to accuracy? 95% hit rate my arse.

I think this is just "Humans are bad at mentally understanding statistics" in play.

95% means that statistically speaking, you will miss 5 out of every 100 attacks. This sounds pretty low but you're probably attacking a couple thousand times over the course of the game, meaning you're probably going to miss about 50-100 attacks on average, which probably means you're going to miss at least one every couple of battles.

As I recall some games will actually make a second check on high accuracy attacks if it comes up as a miss, purely because the developers are worried people will think the odds are incorrect if they use a single check. Final Fantasy Tactics A2 didn't do this and that's why you can sometimes see people complaining about how much they missed 99% accuracy attacks in that game.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

ah, good old Fire Emblem Thracia 776, where hit rates couldn't get more accurate than 99% and less accurate than 1%. I could count the amount of times I actually missed at 99% on my two hands but it happened and it upset me!

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

So I've played this game multiple times when it came out originally and on my first remaster playthrough I decided to take another world Leena to the Home world "monument" that isn't a grave. She actually had a short speech about it and a scene. Are there any other missable scenes like this that other people know about? Seems like it'd be easy to miss with as many characters as there are.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

If you have Razzly with you after Kid is poisoned, they do that whole scene about Serge being the only one from Home World and Razzly is like "Wait no I am too"

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

modders are getting wild

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

THE HELMET STAYS ON DURING SEX

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I heard the PC release of this game just has a couple of archive files of disc 1 and 2 of the Playstation game, but has anyone confirmed whether or not they'll run in a regular PSX emulator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

A good poster posted:

I heard the PC release of this game just has a couple of archive files of disc 1 and 2 of the Playstation game, but has anyone confirmed whether or not they'll run in a regular PSX emulator?

they don't