Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

This game is good but I have opinions.

This LP is going to be fun. I'm eagerly looking forward to watching more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Beating the tentacles and scarecrow in one go was really hard. For whatever reason, 90s adventure games really loved to put in action sequences and it's rarely any fun for me because it felt extremely janky and unpolished. Also, you can't have a computer that's too fast or too slow. The worst were the fighting sequences in Quest for Glory, although Full Throttle's sequences were pretty fun (probably because they didn't re-use the adventure game engine but used a different engine for combat).

If this were like Diablo and I could cast fireballs or set up a flame wall or bait enemies or parry then it wouldn't be so bad. Maybe give Max a net or some rocks or something.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

It's interesting how the Tower chapter really foreshadows the later sections of the game, and alludes to Morgan's prevalence in the narrative

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Wow. I didn't pick up on the fact that the characters in the previous chapter make a return in this one. Personalities are all over the map, though. The only consistent connection I saw was that it seems the orderlies are now running the carnival games.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'm looking forward to the next segment. I can appreciate why it was not included in this video.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I had a lot more trouble with Iggy than this playthrough, probably because my computer was underpowered at the time. I had hoped that there was a more elegant strategy than "get right in there and button mash" but... what works is what works, right?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Personally, I wouldn't mind a treatment that turned me into a buff ogre as long as it got bandages off my face.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Saved from a nuclear blast by trapping oneself in a steel locker.

I guess now we know where indiana jones got this inspiration

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ongoing themes in the fantastical portions of the game (aka not in the sanitarium):
  • constant questioning of one's sanity
  • children in distress
  • lack of ethics, morals, or good sense, leading to an existential threat
  • merging of tissues that were not meant to be merged (like plant and human, or cyclops and insectoid, or a half squid creature)
  • a helpless female figure, typically in a position to provide guidance
  • an evil mom (although in the circus, the mom was just mean and not necessarily evil)
  • speech impediments

I love how it really feels that they hired some people off the street or other programmers to do the voice lines. Quite charming, really

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Chapter Nine - The Morgue and Cemetery

As you can probably guess, this chapter takes place in a morgue and cemetery. I'm not sure if Max was left here to die, if they thought he really was dead and placed his body here or whether he really has been transporting himself around and has done it again. Either way, we're in a morgue and things are just as weird as they always have been. There is more plot progression in this video and the puzzle is coming together and starting to form a picture, but we still have no idea what the hell is going on with everything else in the game.

I find it funny that Morgan finds glee in escaping Max again, rather than harbor any disdain due to the need to build outlandish transportation devices due to the fact that his car was totaled.

Also, I hope the old man is ok :ohdear:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Also, this is the 3rd office we've seen this game. I know he's a doctor, but does he even need this many offices? I guess one of them has access to a bathroom, one of them is close to a laboratory, and one of them probably offers peace and quiet (except for an old man complaining about the cold). Still seems wasteful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I blame it all on Morgan's dad. He just wanted to be a sailor like his father but he was instead forced into medicine. Maybe the grass is greener on both sides. Maybe now Jacob can now pursue what his heart really desires instead of the cuttroat life of academia.

Thank you again for the LP! It's been quite a trip down memory lane.