Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

NieR Occomata posted:

Imo the only real determinant of a good or bad owner outside of extreme outliers like Sterling (and even then he partially qualifies for what I’m about to say) is the ability and willingness to spend money. The ownership of a team is only good if they spend money and are only bad if they don’t, because literally everything cascades down from who is holding the purse strings and how tight they are with it. They are a checkbook with a pulse. That is it. Everything else about what determines a bad owner is basically always rooted in their willingness to spend money, and their ability to.

It’s a very low bar to clear but most owners are unable to reverse their ingrained billionaire programming. NBA teams are going to turn a profit no matter what, so owner basically has to make a decision between a fuckton of money or slightly less than fuckton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

You can be a bad owner also if you only hire guys who used to be players and then refuse to fire them even after you become the laughingstock of the league out of some weird sense of loyalty to the point when even when you finally replace them you keep them on as a senior consultant and the only thing that causes you to change is for fans to chant and buy billboards to humiliate you and you do this on both teams you own for example you also overrule your own gm to bring in a 95 year-old drunk rear end in a top hat to manage your baseball team.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I dunno, you occasionally hear that like the FO and analytics departments are smaller than other teams but otherwise Jordan doesn’t seem particularly cheap? They shelled out big money to keep guys like Batum and Marvin Williams last time they made the playoffs.

I guess they let Kemba walk but time has 100% justified that move.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I made the offseason thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004902