Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

yospos increments postcount now. this has not always been the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

InternetOfTwinks posted:

I tried GOMAD once for like a month and I think it gave me lactose intolerance.

rippetoe may know how to teach people how to lift but if you look at him and think “yeah I’m gonna follow this guy’s diet plan” then lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

and for the love of god stay away from his toxic podcast and politics

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I always thought it was loving stupid of mathematicians that they were so loving sure that the square root of two couldn't have an exact decimal value. Like, gently caress you, every time you check X digits you could just say maybe it actually takes a hundred billion times X digits, how can you be sure of anything.

Well, the proof was math and inspiring so here I go. You only need to be sure of 3 things:

every number can be broken down into a unique set of primes, like 4 is the only number you can get from multiplying together [2, 2], and 45 is the only number you can get by multiplying together [3,3,5].

And it follows that every perfect square, like 4 and 9 are just sets where there are doubles of everything, like [2, 2], and [3, 3]. 900 is 30^2 so it's [3, 3, 2, 2, 5, 5].

and finally you have to know to land perfectly on a decimal, you have to be able to describe the number as n/m, where n and m are whole integers so like 0.449 is 449 / 1000.

So if sqrt(2) fits perfectly into a decimal, then

sqrt(2) = n/m

2 = n^2 / m^2

2*m^2 = n^2

and if you break m and n down into their factors, you end up with some giant list of doubled factors on the right, and a giant list of doubled factors on the left, times a two. but 2's a prime, so n^2 would need to break down into a bunch of primes that aren't doubled. ergo, either math is wrong or sqrt(2) can't be written as an exact decimal number.

motherfuckers.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it's been a while since i've done any math proofs, and even longer since i've worked out the proof that sqrt(2) is irrational, but i'm pretty sure there's proofs that don't require the fundamental theorem of arithmetic (prime factorization) as an assumption. the simplest one is definitely a proof by contradiction like the one you provided though

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

akadajet posted:

rippetoe may know how to teach people how to lift but if you look at him and think “yeah I’m gonna follow this guy’s diet plan” then lol

It's a shame (to me personally) that this guy is a total rear end in a top hat because his book was the first that taught me to deadlift & squat without loving my back up (again)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jammyozzy posted:

It's a shame (to me personally) that this guy is a total rear end in a top hat because his book was the first that taught me to deadlift & squat without loving my back up (again)

yeah the book is really good. his ideas about getting society healthier are good. but he’s thoroughly chuddy otherwise

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I have perpetual skeleton person-itis and I'm also really lazy about food so I thought it was a quick solution. Turns out quick solutions are bullshit 95% of the time.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I did the math and now I’m entitled to compensation.

mystes
May 31, 2006

MrQueasy posted:

I did the math and now I’m entitled to compensation.
Sorry your measurement came up short, but a big car is a popular method

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

InternetOfTwinks posted:

I have perpetual skeleton person-itis and I'm also really lazy about food so I thought it was a quick solution. Turns out quick solutions are bullshit 95% of the time.

yeah the solution is just to eat more normal food and not down gallons of whole milk lol

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Eh, I just accept it now, hence the username

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Eh, I just accept it now, hence the username

we gotta bring back the skinny nerd archetype

im doing my part

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

InternetOfTwinks posted:

I tried GOMAD once for like a month and I think it gave me lactose intolerance.

same but it helped me put on about 2 kilos helped a bit with lifting more weight and didn’t give me lactose intolerance. it gave me a taste for milk, which i didn’t previously like very much

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

akadajet posted:

yeah the solution is just to eat more normal food and not down gallons of whole milk lol

yeah but that’s why it “works” at all. it’s easier to pack in calories by drinking them, for people who don’t compulsively overeat

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

ok, that's enougfh. it's mathS, plural, ok
there's more than one of them, and I should know as Im a professional mather.
we have three maths here alone, I know of some places with like seven or eight..
what?

no!
Look buddy, they won't even let me f

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

people who don’t compulsively overeat

I cannot relate

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

misread the thread title as "do the meth: be inspired" at first and was like drat yospos has gotten more hardcore lately.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

fart simpson posted:

people who don’t compulsively overeat

couldn’t be me. glad you found something that worked for you but I guess I’m built different

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

rotor posted:

under no conditions should you try to ballpark the amount of time you've spent posting on SA forums.

i plot all my posts with elasticsearch and kibana

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Raluek posted:

we gotta bring back the skinny nerd archetype

im doing my part

you just need to stop using linux

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/REAL_LeTerror/status/1527345222916591623

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU