Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

morestuff posted:

I just want them to draft some defensive prospects and play their young guys :(

This makes sense to me.

Also honestly I'd rather have Westbrook than Hayward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Rick posted:

Welcome, Brooklyn Nets.

I would be interested in a postmortem from someone who actually watched the team. My thoughts is that they hosed up and played too small. Or LMA got old and forced that to happen (although I seem to remember him saying he wanted to play still and them sending him home, promising to trade him and then they didn't). Maybe there was a good reason for that if you were following the team that I don't get. They were pretty boring to watch so I quit doing it down the stretch.

With kevin durant not playing well, and joe whatshisname out for the year, there wasn't enough on offense with just kyrie, bruce brown, and seth curry as reliable options to do anything against the best defense in the league, and they were never going to be good enough on defense to stop the hottest offensive team in the league anyway. Their best option at center on either end was nic claxton, who got repeatedly smoked by a dude a full decade older than him, and who went 3/20 from the line. (Lamarcus aldridge was a turnstile on defense ever since his injury, even blake was better) And even though people make fun of kyrie for SOME reason, a lack of roster continuity through the season really hurt them, and prevented them from developing things far enough away from "run around and set enough picks and screens to enable kd/kyrie/harden iso ball". Im also not gonna be the type of dude blindly saying "Nash should have played the young guys more!!!!" because he did put a lot of trust into bruce brown at least, and when the young players did play they were usually mediocre, especially as two-way players. But they probably couldve gotten more playing time during the part of the season where everyone got covid that the nba would like ppl to forget; it really took a completely depleted roster for kessler edwards and day'ron sharpe to start getting minutes. Last season, claxton, far and away their best center, couldn't crack the lineup over the objectively horrible deandre jordan until after the allstar break. I should also note that due to work i didn't watch the team very much

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
https://twitter.com/LakersEmpire/status/1518784123413798912?t=viV50OTN67ew8omg2B7IQA&s=19 The most recent post on his IG is now from September 2018.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Algund Eenboom posted:

With kevin durant not playing well, and joe whatshisname out for the year, there wasn't enough on offense with just kyrie, bruce brown, and seth curry as reliable options to do anything against the best defense in the league, and they were never going to be good enough on defense to stop the hottest offensive team in the league anyway. Their best option at center on either end was nic claxton, who got repeatedly smoked by a dude a full decade older than him, and who went 3/20 from the line. (Lamarcus aldridge was a turnstile on defense ever since his injury, even blake was better) And even though people make fun of kyrie for SOME reason, a lack of roster continuity through the season really hurt them, and prevented them from developing things far enough away from "run around and set enough picks and screens to enable kd/kyrie/harden iso ball". Im also not gonna be the type of dude blindly saying "Nash should have played the young guys more!!!!" because he did put a lot of trust into bruce brown at least, and when the young players did play they were usually mediocre, especially as two-way players. But they probably couldve gotten more playing time during the part of the season where everyone got covid that the nba would like ppl to forget; it really took a completely depleted roster for kessler edwards and day'ron sharpe to start getting minutes. Last season, claxton, far and away their best center, couldn't crack the lineup over the objectively horrible deandre jordan until after the allstar break. I should also note that due to work i didn't watch the team very much

I caught probably 20 quarters worth of games and this fits in a lot with what I saw. I think KD, while still very good, is a lot less fluid and he's not playing off-ball like he did in Golden State. Kyrie stopped the offense wayy too much, its like he didn't really know what the team should have been doing.

Honestly, Harden was really effective because when the offense just kinda puttered out he could still get stuff going, so losing him hurt a lot. A lot of his offense was replaced by KD mid-range, which is still decent but it's a drop-off. Patty Mills was alright but very quiet.

When they were small, but they didn't press the small-ball advantages. It was a bad case of going small because a bunch of your bigs sucked, but they didn't really try to exploit mismatches. By March/April they looked like a team trying to figure themselves out in the beginning of the season. I don't know that I blame Nash all that much, honestly it seems like the natural conclusion to the decisions that were made regarding Kyrie, Harden, and the veterans they brought on.

If they get a full season of Simmons, he'll help defensively and give them some better transition options on offense, and just roster continuity should help too.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Probably Magic posted:

I really liked Mathurin from what I saw during the tournament, but if the Rockets are desperate for outside shooters (I don't know if they are or not, didn't watch them that much), then Banchero is probably the better pick, yeah.

Am I crazy, or is Chet Holmgren actually the best fit for the Rockets? They need a lot of things, but they need rim protection more than anything. The most common source of their losses was teams driving at will and giving up easy put-backs. Jalen, KPJ, and Wood (when healthy) can all score, and if Sengun improves his decision-making and outside shot, he has potential to be a Jokic-like do-it-all kind of guy. I feel like a legit 7-footer who can block shots and even shoot 3s is a perfect complement to this core.

The good thing is this draft seems a lot like last year where several guys should pan out as all-stars pretty early in their careers. Anyone with a top 4 pick is in good shape.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Algund Eenboom posted:

Thank you.

Lockback posted:

I caught probably 20 quarters worth of games and this fits in a lot with what I saw. I think KD, while still very good, is a lot less fluid and he's not playing off-ball like he did in Golden State. Kyrie stopped the offense wayy too much, its like he didn't really know what the team should have been doing.

Honestly, Harden was really effective because when the offense just kinda puttered out he could still get stuff going, so losing him hurt a lot. A lot of his offense was replaced by KD mid-range, which is still decent but it's a drop-off. Patty Mills was alright but very quiet.

When they were small, but they didn't press the small-ball advantages. It was a bad case of going small because a bunch of your bigs sucked, but they didn't really try to exploit mismatches. By March/April they looked like a team trying to figure themselves out in the beginning of the season. I don't know that I blame Nash all that much, honestly it seems like the natural conclusion to the decisions that were made regarding Kyrie, Harden, and the veterans they brought on.

If they get a full season of Simmons, he'll help defensively and give them some better transition options on offense, and just roster continuity should help too.

Also appreciate it.

But drat am I the Nets #1 fan as well having watched around 20 of their games?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Blind Pineapple posted:

Am I crazy, or is Chet Holmgren actually the best fit for the Rockets? They need a lot of things, but they need rim protection more than anything. The most common source of their losses was teams driving at will and giving up easy put-backs. Jalen, KPJ, and Wood (when healthy) can all score, and if Sengun improves his decision-making and outside shot, he has potential to be a Jokic-like do-it-all kind of guy. I feel like a legit 7-footer who can block shots and even shoot 3s is a perfect complement to this core.

The good thing is this draft seems a lot like last year where several guys should pan out as all-stars pretty early in their careers. Anyone with a top 4 pick is in good shape.

Probably going into draft thread territory with this and I'm the opposite of a draft head, but while you're by no means crazy for rating him highly since a lot of people do, it still just feels to me like Holmgren is a twig, and while he could definitely bulk up, I he didn't really that much last year and I kinda wonder if he'll struggle on the block more once he's in the league. I'd almost bet more on Mark Williams to bang around in the paint if that's what you want, but is he overall more talented Holmgren enough to justify the pick?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Holmgren is a boom or bust type guy and that's probably what you want if you're Houston, especially since they have a natural way of getting him a nice, well defined role on the team from the get go.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

https://twitter.com/GotEm_Coach/status/1514651265732591619

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'd have a hard time picking someone other than Chet although I wouldn't blame someone else for doing it and I'll say they might even be right. But, I just don't know how you skip on that much potential, especially if you're a team that already has some good players potentially like Houston.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome to the Hawks. Weird season, one of the teams hit hardest by COVID and then injuries after that left them in the play in to play a locked in Heat team in the first round, they had no chance.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
So is Steve Nash the Nets coach at the start of next season? Is he a coach at all? Has he been a coach at all?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
He is KD’s road dogg unless something has changed. I don’t think they are getting rid of him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

So is Steve Nash the Nets coach at the start of next season? Is he a coach at all? Has he been a coach at all?

let's check the chart

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

The nba finals begin in five minutes… on my signal activate the 5G implants…
/

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/1519159904208134150

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I think he probably is. Doubt there's anyone that those nutcases would acknowledge as a coach. Kyrie is full blown delusional at this point. What was it he said lately that made it sound like he saw him and KD as basically managing the franchise next to owners?

Like, Nash will probably be completely overlooked as part of Brooklyn's problem. Too many other clowns piled into that car.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Veryslightlymad posted:

What was it he said lately that made it sound like he saw him and KD as basically managing the franchise next to owners?

I mean this is more accurate than not for a lot of star players

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

morestuff posted:

I mean this is more accurate than not for a lot of star players

In most cases they would be consulted about possible trades and FA signings. But I don't think the dialogue would be, like, "Hey Nikola, who do you think would be a good short term option at point while we wait for Jamaal?"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

In most cases they would be consulted about possible trades and FA signings. But I don't think the dialogue would be, like, "Hey Nikola, who do you think would be a good short term option at point while we wait for Jamaal?"

I don’t think that’s what Kyrie means either

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

morestuff posted:

I don’t think that’s what Kyrie means either

I have long since moved past giving him the benefit of the doubt.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The Nets are falling apart even faster than I dared dream and that Harden trade looks better and better for Houston every day

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

good job good effort.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

one strategy the bulls should consider is sending a talentless goon out there to deliberately injure the other teams' key role players, seemed to work well.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 28, 2022

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

R.D. Mangles posted:

one strategy the bulls should consider is sending a talentless goon out there to deliberately injure the other teams' key role players, seemed to work well.

Online Suns fans are unironically wanting their team to do this to the Pels.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
I'm legit sad how the Bulls season ended. Way too many key injuries. :(

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think the injuries masked that the team was playing over its head for the first stretch of the season anyway. Best case scenario is the early-season defensive effort was unsustainable for a team anchored by natural Loafs, but they could have locked it back in for the playoffs if necessary at full strength.

Either way I would like the Bulls to immediately add, like, four more guys who can shoot the ball please

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

xbilkis posted:

I think the injuries masked that the team was playing over its head for the first stretch of the season anyway. Best case scenario is the early-season defensive effort was unsustainable for a team anchored by natural Loafs, but they could have locked it back in for the playoffs if necessary at full strength.

Either way I would like the Bulls to immediately add, like, four more guys who can shoot the ball please

I agree they would have gone back to Earth a bit anyway but still it's a shame to see them having so few weapons going into the playoffs. I don'[t think they could have beaten Giannis but they could have made it a lot closer and more fun had they had their dudes.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
The nuggets have gone fishing

Tough year, the mvp just dragged this sorry rear end team past the 20 wins they deserved. Not having Jamal was bad enough, losing MPJ (who was obviously hurt early in the season when he was playing) just turned the season to poo poo. Heartbreaking to waste a truly all-time great individual season.

I am still the proud president of the Bones Hyland Fan Club.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Nuggets did what they could, I wouldn't even call it a lost season since Monte and Bones developed and this might be it looks like Boogie kind of fits a role they have tried to fill for a while.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Rick posted:

Nuggets did what they could, I wouldn't even call it a lost season since Monte and Bones developed and this might be it looks like Boogie kind of fits a role they have tried to fill for a while.

Fair enough, even though I wouldn’t say Monte developed more. He was exactly the same player he was last year, just in twice as many minutes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think full strength Bulls are good, maybe even approaching contention, but it's a very fragile team. Someone hurt or slumping? Oh look, big obvious Achilles heel. I am not sure if that's solveable with a little more depth or what but if they can stay reasonably healthy next year I still think they'll make a good run to be a top-4 team in the East.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Not a bad article, tbh. I disagree a bit with only a handful of the selections, but this rookie class was so good, it's hard to quibble. https://theathletic.com/3246365/2022/04/28/2021-nba-re-draft-cade-cunningham-scottie-barnes/

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Kibner posted:

Not a bad article, tbh. I disagree a bit with only a handful of the selections, but this rookie class was so good, it's hard to quibble. https://theathletic.com/3246365/2022/04/28/2021-nba-re-draft-cade-cunningham-scottie-barnes/

I think you still take Mobley over Barnes every time just because what he does is so much rarer

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lockback posted:

I think full strength Bulls are good, maybe even approaching contention, but it's a very fragile team. Someone hurt or slumping? Oh look, big obvious Achilles heel. I am not sure if that's solveable with a little more depth or what but if they can stay reasonably healthy next year I still think they'll make a good run to be a top-4 team in the East.

To be fair, they retooled the entire team in one season, I'm willing to give them a few seasons to see what they can do, and if things crater, I trust the front office to actually turn things over for smart reasons and not weird reasons. This Bulls team isn't winning anything but they also know what they need to be more dangerous. It's cool to have an actual front office.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Kibner posted:

Could you post the order please?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'd feel better about Chicago if they hadn't given up a ton of draft picks building this team, they're out all of their second rounders until 2026 too

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Think Less posted:

Could you post the order please?

There is a bunch of text that goes with each of these and he also has a significant "honorable mentions" section at the end so there is some meaningful context that is missing from just the list. That said:

1. Cade (1)
2. Scottie (4)
3. Mobley (3)
4. Green (2)
5. Wagner (8)
6. Giddey (6)
7. Kuminga (7)
8. Suggs (5)
9. Mitchell (9)
10. Murphy (17)
11. Herb (35)
12. Moody (14)
13. Williams (10)
14. Sengun (16)
15. Duarte (13)
16. Kispert (15)
17. Mann (18)
18. Bones (26)
19. Isaiah Jackson (22)
20. Dosunmu (38)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
You can’t put Moody and Kuminga on that list without considering Austin Reaves, who had a similar role, and he had a better season than then like all but three of those dudes in zogobotnetpoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

You can’t put Moody and Kuminga on that list without considering Austin Reaves, who had a similar role, and he had a better season than then like all but three of those dudes in zogobotnetpoints.

Reeves is 24 and those dudes aren't legal drinking age though