Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The Sin Toxin does allow him to act hideously stupid in terms of everything without serious consequences..... but couldn't they just, y'know, not have him act that hideously stupid? There's a difference between ignorance and stupidity, and he embraces both wholeheartedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Tidus' total obliviousness is downright charming and an extremely good excuse to dump lore on the players. I also love how the characters get more and more baffled as they have to continually explain these simple concepts. Transitioning from "Yeah no problem man that toxin is nasty stuff, I can explain." to "Jesus christ COME ON dude."

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Keldulas posted:

The Sin Toxin does allow him to act hideously stupid in terms of everything without serious consequences..... but couldn't they just, y'know, not have him act that hideously stupid?

it's Tidus. what does your heart tell you.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I mean, that’s fair…

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 6 - I'm Too Stupid To Run!

Letty and Datto reaching the top of the stairs like

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
As it happens, you can skip a character's turn. Should be the Triangle button to defend.

Characters have to take some action in a fight to get AP from it. It doesn't have to be a particularly meaningful action - they can defend, or use an item, or swing and miss. Speaking of which, at least some characters have unique and amusing animations for attacking themselves. Probably not worth doing it just to see, since Confusion exists, but keep an eye out for them.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
It's especially funny when a Confused person tries to attack themselves and misses. (Lulu's physical attack animation is funny in general, too.)

Kind of funny how fast Yuna gets her thirst on for Tidus. One wonders how shallow the dating pool is on Besaid...

In fairness, though, for all his obtuseness, Tidus is at least earnest and well-meaning. He's already shown he's willing to break rules and throw himself into unknown danger for Yuna's sake... despite the fact that she had absolutely no need for it. Plus, he's real good at Spira's primary sport, which perhaps counts for something. :P

The Goers would fit right into the "jerk jock characters in a work of media aimed at ten-year-olds" niche.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

PepperedMoth posted:

Kind of funny how fast Yuna gets her thirst on for Tidus. One wonders how shallow the dating pool is on Besaid...

Let's see... Wakka... the other Aurochs who barely merit names... Wakka's dead brother...

Tidus also has to be interestingly dumb to her. He's almost a holy idiot, spouting off about visions of something significant to her own religious beliefs, but without any knowledge or context about what those "visions" should mean to a normal person. And he's not immediately offering her the deference that seems to be due a summoner, one less hurdle to getting a relationship (or fling) going. If you don't mind a dingus with roughly Lulu levels of fashion sense, hey, why not.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

disposablewords posted:

Let's see... Wakka... the other Aurochs who barely merit names... Wakka's dead brother...

There's also the dopey cop duo who might be gay. And technically old priest guys or Kimari.

So yeah, Yuna basically fell in love with the first person she didn't grow up with.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Nidoking posted:

As it happens, you can skip a character's turn. Should be the Triangle button to defend.

Characters have to take some action in a fight to get AP from it. It doesn't have to be a particularly meaningful action - they can defend, or use an item, or swing and miss. Speaking of which, at least some characters have unique and amusing animations for attacking themselves. Probably not worth doing it just to see, since Confusion exists, but keep an eye out for them.

Triangle works fine most of the time, but the quickest way to skip a turn is to swap weapon (you can swap to the weapon you're already using). Has a much shorter cooldown on your turn than defending.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The stair running scene is kind of some nice pressure release. It's good to have poeple act at least a little goofy, but then, poo poo, piss, Sinspawn!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Danaru posted:

> Hey the game audio is kinda overpowering

Yeah I'm working on that, this is a new set up since :siren:Grace and I live together now!!!:siren: so it's taking some fixing. Also I was really drunk when we decided to LP a 50+ hour long JRPG on a whim, imagine that.

maybe im alone here, but the balance is actually good for a dialogue-heavy game. i can hear you and the characters both well during cutscenes, and battle noises/music aren't really a problem since human voices occupy a different mental audio track (for lack of a better description) and my brain separates them easily

the overall levels are really low though--i have to boost system audio over 100% for this, whereas i usually keep it around 66% (for comparison, 66% works fine for recent mario party vids)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah I started noticing I had the levels too low overall recently, which is like episode 17 or so :cripes: I'm somehow still kinda poo poo at this

It sounds perfect in media player classic :saddowns:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

disposablewords posted:

Tidus also has to be interestingly dumb to her. He's almost a holy idiot, spouting off about visions of something significant to her own religious beliefs, but without any knowledge or context about what those "visions" should mean to a normal person. And he's not immediately offering her the deference that seems to be due a summoner, one less hurdle to getting a relationship (or fling) going. If you don't mind a dingus with roughly Lulu levels of fashion sense, hey, why not.

Not just deference due a summoner - everyone on Besaid treats Yuna in particular with extreme reverence. Somebody who doesn't must be a refreshing change.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

One of the tropes I've been growing to really like in fiction is the member of royalty (usually a crown heir) who either disguises themself and mingles with the populace, or just meets somebody who doesn't know who they are and treats them like a normal person. I have to imagine that people who are used to being worshiped must really enjoy the chance to have a normal interaction with someone, and moreso a hint of a life where that's the norm.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Nidoking posted:

One of the tropes I've been growing to really like in fiction is the member of royalty (usually a crown heir) who either disguises themself and mingles with the populace, or just meets somebody who doesn't know who they are and treats them like a normal person. I have to imagine that people who are used to being worshiped must really enjoy the chance to have a normal interaction with someone, and moreso a hint of a life where that's the norm.

That's actually a thing which did happened in history. A Chinese emporer (unfortunately I can't find out his name to look up details) ran around disguised as a regular person, got sick and was treated by some random peasant girl and grew close to her. Later on he came back and married her.
In a very convenient timing :nws: Today's Oglaf is also all about that trope. :nws:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
It's especially entertaining when they are hiding/running from their own guards more than anything to sneak out and mingle. The guards in a panic trying to find them while simultaneously trying not to freak out the public by letting on that guys, we can't find Their Highness, oh god

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 7 - Jump In

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Guardian job requirements:
- Be decent in a monster fight
- Be really good at escape rooms
- Creative naming skills a plus
- ???

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Dona's outfit makes her a solid contender in the the Worst Character Design in FFX competition. Seriously, what the actual hell. Is that, what, a reverse loincloth!?

I guess there had to be some justification for why Tidus would have to do another Cloister of Trials while not technically being a guardian. Can't have the player missing out on that thrilling sphere-in-slot puzzle action! :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Wakka gives Gooba& poo poo about being a guardian like he doesn't throw balls at birds for a living. Up yours, brudda

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 8 - Public Domain

LET'S PLAY SOME loving BLITZBALL tutorials

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

PepperedMoth posted:

Dona's outfit makes her a solid contender in the the Worst Character Design in FFX competition. Seriously, what the actual hell. Is that, what, a reverse loincloth!?

Personally, I wouldn't put any bets on her in such a competition. There are so many terrible character designs in this game. Half-chaps are tame in comparison.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The reason the Goers where visiting Kilika temple is that praying there is supposed to bring good luck for blitzball matches. Therefore they went there to mock everyone for doing that and totally not doing it themselves because they absolutely don't deem it necessary. They'd the best after all.

Fun fact, that team is actually the worst. Especially other longer time when levelling becomes a factor.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I mean, at super-low levels, they have a pretty strong lineup. It's just... one of the other teams has a ridiculously overwhelming goalie.

For the record, "Seeded" in this context means that the Aurochs basically get a free pass for the first round. I don't think we ever actually see the bracket itself to see how many teams are playing, or who they all are? In the rest of the minigame you can access later, there are six teams, so I can only assume two teams get "seeded" directly into the semi-finals, while the remaining four duke it out to see who gets to face off against the two seeded teams. The Aurochs get seeded, so they get a free pass for the first round, and are automatically in the semi-finals.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 25, 2022

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Oh boy, blitzball!!!

It's not one of my favorite minigames, but it's not too hard once you get the hang of it. (The Jecht Shot really helps.) I never really played it much when I was doing my first playthroughs as a kid, but I know some people really enjoy it.

And Seymour Guado... the guy keeping Spira's hair gel industry afloat almost single-handedly. (Wakka clearly has a hand in it as well.) While Seymour is another shining example of... unusual character design choices, I'm just glad he doesn't have visible underpants. (But yeesh, those nails!)

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

BlazetheInferno posted:

For the record, "Seeded" in this context means that the Aurochs basically get a free pass for the first round. I don't think we ever actually see the bracket itself to see how many teams are playing, or who they all are? In the rest of the minigame you can access later, there are six teams, so I can only assume two teams get "seeded" directly into the semi-finals, while the remaining four duke it out to see who gets to face off against the two seeded teams. The Aurochs get seeded, so they get a free pass for the first round, and are automatically in the semi-finals.

It's this.

According to the Ultimania for X, there were plans for 8 Blitzball teams. Bevelle had one and there was also a Crusaders one. This would have made for a simple bracket.

The final version of FFX only has 6 teams, though. Since it's an elimination tournament, that means that two teams have to be given a free pass on the first round in order to keep the bracket even.

As for Blitzball itself, I played far too much of it when I was a teen. It's a minigame that I wish was given a little more depth. As it stands, though, it's mostly a boring mess due to poor and easily exploitable AI.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I think that part of the costume design is an artifact of the character designs being intended for a much lower resolution. You have to make stuff like the window in Lulu's belt dress a lot bigger if you want it to show up at all under those conditions. Same with Dona - if you want to protray skimpy, you have to go extra skimpy to get the point across.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I enjoyed Blitzball, though I'm not entirely certain why. I'm guessing a lot of it was the troll factor of firing the entire Aurochs team and bringing in random people off the street to play for you.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Keldulas posted:

I enjoyed Blitzball, though I'm not entirely certain why. I'm guessing a lot of it was the troll factor of firing the entire Aurochs team and bringing in random people off the street to play for you.

Combine this approach with the right picks, and you can completely and utterly demolish anything and everything in the low-levels of Blitzball play. Considering you can reset the player-levels of everyone in the league any time you want? Oh boy.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Blitzball rules. The GOAT minigame.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 9 - That Is Explained Elsewhere

gently caress you Yenke and the other one, nobody gives poo poo to Kimahri but us :mad:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
To clarify, yes - if there is a skill to be learned, Lancet will always teach it to Kimahri. And, every time he learns a new ability for the first time, Kimhari's Overdrive meter is instantly filled, presumably so he can try it out.

As for the -Ara and -Aga thing, it USED to use that naming convention. There was even a little in-game easter egg in Heavensward mocking it and saying a number system would be a lot easier. Then later they did just that.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 26, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 10 - Too Many Aurons

So yeah we recorded this on a sunday, then I spent most of the night writhing in agony and spent a lot of monday in the ER. Bones are fine so it was just a pinched nerve :toot: Then I slept for 12 hours, felt infinitely better, and finally got to play some drat blitzball.

My point is, I forgot most of the tutorials, don't @ me

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I have played this game. I have watched several Let's Plays of it. I still have no loving clue why the Al Bhed Psyches kidnap Yuna here in order to get the world's shittiest Blitzball team to throw a match. Like, if it's for the stated reason, why? If it's for spoiler reason, why the pretense? If it's to have a nice chat over tea with the half-Al Bhed summoner, why doesn't Yuna mention it?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yuna wanted to play a little prank before she visited the Psyches to ask how Cid was doing, then had to pretend she didn't when her lunatic friends smashed up their stuff and destroyed their really expensive Blitzball training robot.

As far as I can tell, it WAS for spoiler reason, and nobody has any guesses for why they used the pretense considering all it did was let Gooba& and co. know who to beat the poo poo out of.

E: VVV after seeing Lulu's beacon and knowing his friends succeeded, Wakka was fueled by the most powerful force of all! Racism.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 27, 2022

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact about that Al Behd match - Their goalie, Nimrook, has the best Catch score (the Goalie stat) in the game, start to finish. To the point where it is actually numerically impossible for any of the original Besaid Aurochs to score a goal on him, except for Wakka himself, and even then, Nimrook has to really flub it.

So basically Wakka either went Super Saiyan, or they got really, really lucky.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

My general Blitzball strategy is:

1) Use the Techcopy stuff liberally. No help during the first match, obviously (unless you manage to raise one of the random Aurochs to level 3 before overtime and also successfully copy a Tech they can use), but even moves like Venom Pass or Drain Tackle boost the stat they use at the cost of some HP, so by the end of the game (FFX, not the Blitzball match), you'll more or less need to be using one of those techs at every opportunity to succeed at all. Case in point: In the first game, you'd need a miracle to score a goal with anything other than the Jecht Shot/Sphere Shot or Wakka's Venom Shot. And if you want to boost a given character's repertoire, you're going to have to copy those Key Techs to unlock their potential.

2) Don't let the other team gang up on you. Sometimes, they'll already be there when you get the ball, but you usually have a bit of time to react. (Incidentally, only the first toss-up is RNG. After that, the team that didn't score will always get the ball.) It rarely costs anything to hit X in the middle of nowhere and see which defenders will get into the huddle. Ideally, you'll catch just one, and you can Break and Dribble to get past them immediately. Repeat whenever you think you can pull a single defender. When you do get piled on, I like the optimistic approach: if you can't get a good chance at a successful pass, err in favor of breaking to one defender too many. I think it seems to give better odds than hoping that a defender misses a block, and as long as you survive the tackles, there's no bonus for having more EN left over. But if you lose too much PA to blocks, even a pass that gets through can be fumbled. Also, don't go for a shot in that case - you're never going to beat the blocks plus the goalie's CA. If you can get a Nap Shot in, maybe, since that provides a nearly free shot the next time.

3) So what do you do once you've got the ball? Get it to Tidus and swim straight into the opposing goal. If you've got the HP for a Jecht Shot, then ignore the advice about shaking off defenders and shoot with as many as three on your back. Never Break when using the Jecht Shot unless you've got way more EN than you need, because the Jecht Shot negates the first two blockers entirely. Yes, there is a point to all that bouncing the ball off the pole/goal. Later on, you might have other characters who can shoot worth something, but your Jecht Shot is for when you definitely intend to score.

4) When a good player (like Nimrook) is nearing the end of their contract, play that team and dunk on them as hard as you can. Make them look bad so they'll get fired, and then snap them up. There are some excellent free agents out there, but I found very few of the Aurochs to be very strong players in the later games. (Keepa, I'm told, is a monster on offense at very high levels. You'll probably never actually see that, but it's worth keeping in mind.)

5) Play as little Blitzball as possible. I think I set things up so that I only had to play about twelve matches to get all of the unique rewards.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Nidoking posted:

5) Play as little Blitzball as possible.

This is the worst advice. Forget Yuna's pilgrimage, just play sports

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
If I wanted to see competence, I'd watch some speedrunner break the game over their leg. I'm here for Dan & Grace's idiosyncratic take on it, and that includes "accidental" pranking Wakka by beating his rear end. If his internal organs are liquified already, you're just doing him a favor by putting him out of his misery faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Neurion posted:

This is the worst advice. Forget Yuna's pilgrimage, just play sports

I never said it was advice. It's just my strategy. Besides, some of the best players won't join your team until you make a lot of progress on the pilgrimage, so...