Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Reading an interesting article in The Atlantic (https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/05/better-call-saul-season-6-slow-tv/629370/?utm_source=pocket-newtab) from a writer who dove into Better Call Saul a few years ago only to, as they put it:

quote:

I-stopped-watching-after-three-years tedious.

and

quote:

By Season 4, the actual experience of watching the show had come to feel like a chore I no longer needed to perform. The descent into Sauldom was inching along, and lengthy scenes were devoted to Jimmy (his law license temporarily suspended) working at a cellphone store with no customers to serve. After multiple seasons inspired by the rhythms of regular life, Gould and Gilligan had made their position clear: Jimmy might cut corners for a head rush, but this show simply wouldn’t. I did not stop appreciating that project so much as forget to keep tuning in to it.

My feeling on BCS is that it's an extremely well-done show, but the tedium described in the article is real, and I've long maintained they probably should have split it into two series, with occasional crossovers between Jimmy(eat)world and Mike World. I definitely felt like the author at times, running BCS as a second-screen entertainer at work instead of watching at air time.

All this got me thinking about shows I've "broken up" with, as well as others who might have had similar experiences. It used to be required viewing, but maybe the main character left and the whole thing fell apart. Maybe the quirks got to be too much. Maybe it should've ended at a certain point but the network got greedy and dragged it on far too long after it should've been buried.

My list, as they roll off the top of my head, is below:
Fargo- I don't know if the pacing of the show did it or if I got tired of a show that felt like it was trying too hard, but I got about 3 episodes into last year before giving up. The show felt like it was too far up its own rear end in trying to be an arthouse film of some sort while shoehorning in a villain with a Yooper accent to tie back to the original ya betcha, and not even Mormon Raylan Givens could save it.

Archer- Archer was fun in the early days, but the combination of really, really specific jokes (I had to google Tenzing Norgay) and the Dreamland season ended this for me, which is a shame as I really liked it early on and binged the early seasons to catch up.

Scrubs- Everyone has a quirk. They're fun the first time through. But Elliot restaging her engagement, Carla's endless bitchiness, and JD's endless whining and asides grow stale in a hurry.

The Office (US)- I'm generally not a fan of network sitcoms and grudgingly tried this during the heart of COVID. I almost gave up before the end of S1. But I stuck it out even though I found myself skipping any extended Michael, Dwight, or, later, Andy scenes because the Jim and Pam saga was extremely relatable to me. So I set the end goal of making it through The Dinner Party, got to the end of S4 (which was suggested to me as a drop-dead point), and won't lose any sleep over not going back.

Two and a Half Men- gently caress you Charlie Sheen, I really wanted to see how the Manny Queen plot was going to be resolved. :ramsay:

House of Cards- gently caress you, Kevin Spacey, I really wanted to see how the Underwood War was going to be resolved. :ramsay: (Unlike all the others, I did stick this one out and want the eight hours of my life back that I wasted for S6.)

Californication- I stuck this one out to the end in spite of missing S1 and 2, but don't have any interest in circling back around. By the end, it's a lovely show about lovely people and their lovely lives.

Get Shorty- I stumbled upon this on a Delta flight and enjoyed it early on, but the continuing slog of trying to make a movie while keeping lazy tie-ins to the original movie (Shorty is the nickname he gives his daughter) led me to peel off. (I later saw S1 at a Dollar Tree for $1.)

Hawaii Five-O- About 10 years ago (how the gently caress is this show still going? e- they finally did end it, actually), they had an episode where the entire plot ground to a halt so that the Samoan guy who tags along with the vice team every now and then could do a monologue about how he'd lost weight with the Subway Five-Dollar Footlong, bradda. It was the most blatant product placement I'd ever seen and made me decide I'd seen enough.

Family Guy- How in the hell did Seth MacFarlane get two more of the same shows green lit after this one?

King of the Hill- I've since resumed watching this show and it's a treasure but, the first time through, god drat, did I grow to hate Peggy.

The Simpsons- I got to 2005 or so and that was it though, much like King of the Hill, I've gone back for the old episodes and they're still fun. Anyone who knows anything about the show will know why.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The Walking Dead

Like many I peaced out after Glenn, even though I knew it was coming. It was more just the general malaise of knowing nothing was every really going to change. There was always going to be another group of assholes to fight, over and over.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
Doctor Who, the revived series from 2005 onwards.

I was a big Doctor Who fan as a kid during the 1980s, watching it as often as I could on the Chicago area PBS station. And like a lot of DW fans, I would rewatch episodes of the show during the "wilderness years" after it got unofficially canceled in 1989. When it was announced that it would be brought back in 2005, I was initially happy to hear the news. I started watching the revived series, and as we went from Eccleston to Tennant to Smith, it slowly dawned on me that I didn't actually like the new version of the show very much at all. To me, it just never had the same quirky low-budget charm as the original series, and I eventually noped out partway through Smith's second season. Never bothered watching any of Capaldi's run, and I only watched a few episodes of Whittaker's first season before giving the revived DW up for good. I can still happily watch the older episodes, but the new stuff just leaves me cold.

This also applies to the revived Mystery Science Theater 3000, too. Loved the original series, but the newer streaming-only stuff just does nothing for me.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 19, 2022

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The Simpsons seems like the quintessential example of this concept. A brilliant, generation-defining show, both in format and content for the first third of its run, then started to lose steps with each passing season until it bottomed out in the middle third, before leveling off as a thoroughly mediocre husk that's clearly just around for the money and no one seems to have any strong feelings about one way or the other in 2022.

Other animated comedies have overstayed their welcome by over a decade as well like Family Guy and South Park (whose right-wing slant has aged worse with each passing year on top of the general repetition).

I never got into the series, but based on other people's reactions, I'd say The Walking Dead falls into this category for a lot of people.

The other personal example I have is The Mentalist. First 3 seasons are a very fun "crime of the week" show, but after they retconned the awesome S3 finale, it all felt so pointless.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
South Park stopped being fun for me around 2012. I don't know why I stopped watching, I just did.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I agree, I fell out of BCS after the season 3 finale. For me, I think the root cause is that I'm just not a huge fan of Bob Odenkirk as a lead man. Same with Paul Rudd.

I'm a big fan of them as side characters but I just don't enjoy the films/series they carry.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
True Detective after S1, and although I did wade through Westworld S2, I couldn’t make it to the end of the first episode of S3.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Blind Pineapple posted:

Other animated comedies have overstayed their welcome by over a decade as well like Family Guy and South Park (whose right-wing slant has aged worse with each passing year on top of the general repetition).

Edward Mass posted:

South Park stopped being fun for me around 2012. I don't know why I stopped watching, I just did.

I agree with South Park, but didn't include it on my list as, without fail, I keep coming back for every season. It really went sideways when they started introducing continuity, as I don't think any of those storylines (Tegridy Farms, Skankhunt, the Cartman/Heidi relationship that felt a lot like one of the writers had just been dumped and used to show as a vessel to vent). The Post-COVID specials for the closest thing to a shark jump I've ever seen for any show I liked.

This season started to crawl out of the basement a bit, but it's still not what it used to be.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
Once Upon A Time. The first season did some really interesting and risky stuff (the inclusion of Frankenstein and the way they did his flashbacks was very cool to me) and the costumes were always a delight, but as it went on, it got… just more and more Disney in a way I don’t really like. Plus the show dangled the possibility of Sleeping Beauty with a girlfriend in front of me and then yanked it away, and I decided life was too short to put up with that.

Then again I never made it to the Frozen arc so I probably missed a whole lot of crazy poo poo.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I bailed on Archer after he went to space. Never looked back.

I loved Vikings, but slowly drifted away after Ragnar wrapped up. Ivar the Boneless did nothing for me and the endless brother betrayal got tiresome.

New Girl was fun, but they hit the Nick and Jess thing way too early. Couldn't hold my attention after that.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
There came a point where I could tell myself I was a good person or I could keep watching 24. But not both.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Californication is an interesting example because season four (I think) has a finale that feels like a series finale but it goes on for two or three more.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The Walking Dead

Like many I peaced out after Glenn, even though I knew it was coming. It was more just the general malaise of knowing nothing was every really going to change. There was always going to be another group of assholes to fight, over and over.

I bailed at whatever season finale it was where they got stuck in a train car by cannibals. The episode ended on a heroic pan-up to Rick going "they're gonna find out they hosed with the wrong people" and it just felt like they weren't even pretending this was a real threat anymore.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Dexter. First season was great, second was good but fell off a bit, third was crap and I almost dropped it then, but season 4 was great again and bought them a lot of good will so I stuck with it. But everything after that was aggressively mediocre and formulaic (did anyone NOT see Olmos Ghost Dad coming?), and I never saw past that season. Didn't even try the return season either. I was just done.

Doesn't help that the books also fell completely off a cliff after the 2nd one, but honestly the dumb Dark Passenger as literal demon possession bullshit in the 3rd book would've at least made the show weirdly interesting.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

loads but actually rick and morty is probably the best example.

there was an episode in season 4 i think where it was about cum dragons or something. i felt like i was watching some bullshit from a bad part of the internet made by idiot sickos.

there had always been a level of shittiness in the show, but it seemed to keep building and then when i saw that episode i went from kind of enjoying some of it to hating it and never wanting to see it again. retroactively all the mean spirited stuff throughout the show, all the incest and whatever hosed up sex jokes were in there, congealed into a ball of slime which i mostly kicked out my brain.

usually i'm pretty quick to ditch a drama, but comedies can take a bit longer if they start out on the bubble because i allow them time to find their feet. so i end up stopping with comedies on a random third season episode a lot because it either didn't get better or got worse.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The Americans

I can handle slower TV but holy poo poo. Season 4 or 5 was glacial.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There are no wrong answers in this thread but god drat if Saul doesn’t come as close as it gets. Show has literally gotten better every single season. But anyway

The Walking Dead: season 3 made it clear this show was never gonna be as good as I wanted and then I dropped it a few episodes into s4

Riverdale: season 1 was really fun but the jump to 22-episode seasons killed it and it quickly just became another CW thing.

Archer: literally every episode is exactly the same. I think I made it to towards the end of season 5?

The Witcher: I found s1 to be overall decent but I got half an hour into the s2 premiere and realised I didn’t care about anyone or anything that was happening

This Is Us: eventually the extremely tiring miserable melodrama made it not worth watching for the occasional great episode

Carnivale: really wanted to get into this one but after half of s1 I just wasn’t vibing with it at all

Preacher: agonisingly slow and never had the budget to properly adapt the road trip version of the story so they would stay in one location long after it had outstayed his welcome. great cast but so so boring

Genera+ion: heard good things from people I trust, but aside from some exceptionally funny scenes it just came across as “what if euphoria wasn’t very interesting”

Jessica Jones/Luke Cage/Iron Fist/The Punisher: netflix marvel was largely a disaster huh

Terriers: I’ve really tried, okay?! I’ve tried a bunch of times. but I’ve never made it past the halfway point. I’m not sure why it just doesn’t hit me like it does seemingly everyone else

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

roomtone posted:

loads but actually rick and morty is probably the best example.

there was an episode in season 4 i think where it was about cum dragons or something. i felt like i was watching some bullshit from a bad part of the internet made by idiot sickos.

there had always been a level of shittiness in the show, but it seemed to keep building and then when i saw that episode i went from kind of enjoying some of it to hating it and never wanting to see it again. retroactively all the mean spirited stuff throughout the show, all the incest and whatever hosed up sex jokes were in there, congealed into a ball of slime which i mostly kicked out my brain.

usually i'm pretty quick to ditch a drama, but comedies can take a bit longer if they start out on the bubble because i allow them time to find their feet. so i end up stopping with comedies on a random third season episode a lot because it either didn't get better or got worse.

I loved the first two seasons but Season 3 becoming Beth and Jerry Hate Each Other: The Series about did it for me. It felt more at that point like a family drama than what we saw in the first two seasons and it completely lost steam. I've seen most of the episodes since, but it feels more like completionism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every show on the CW.

Do you guys find these decisions are intentional or just you can't find the time, and oh, now I'm four episodes behind on the DVR and I'd rather watch/play something else...

For me it's almost entirely the latter, I don't know that I've ever gone "This show sucks now, I'm done"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

zoux posted:

Do you guys find these decisions are intentional or just you can't find the time, and oh, now I'm four episodes behind on the DVR and I'd rather watch/play something else...

For me it's almost entirely the latter, I don't know that I've ever gone "This show sucks now, I'm done"

Most of mine are shows I either lost interest in or, in most cases, rapidly grew to dislike. Fargo and Archer were a combination of "I have X number episodes on my DVR" and "I tried, but really don't like this anymore".

This got me thinking and I'm going to add another one I probably won't fully give up on unless it just goes full-on crap, but:

Atlanta- This is my favorite show on TV. I love this show. Love. It's perhaps the best show that's come out in years. It may be Top 5 all-time for me.

But when Don Glover fucks off for four years to do things he'd seemingly rather do and, when the show is cattle-prodded into finally making its long-awaited return with the two seasons he agreeed to and it's announced those seasons are going to be burned off in less than a year seemingly so Don Glover can gently caress off to do things he'd seemingly rather do, it makes me wonder if I should bother, either.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

zoux posted:

For me, it's almost entirely intentional. If I like a show, and it's still good, but for whatever reason I fell behind watching it, I'll eventually get around to catching back up with it. But if I come to the realization that I don't like it anymore? Time to walk away and move on to other things. It's the same with music and bands; if an artist starts putting out subpar work or changes to a style or genre I'm not interested in, I'll just quit buying their stuff. There are way too many other things competing for my time to stick with something I don't really enjoy anymore.

Another TV show to add to the list: Arrested Development. The first two seasons were comedy gold (if extremely problematic in the context of our current times), the third not as much but still good. The fourth season on Netflix was so dire I gave up partway through, and didn't bother to even check out the fifth season. The fourth season was what convinced me that the people behind the show had no idea anymore about what originally made it work (and from what I've read, the fifth season would have done very little to change that perception).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

Atlanta- This is my favorite show on TV. I love this show. Love. It's perhaps the best show that's come out in years. It may be Top 5 all-time for me.

But when Don Glover fucks off for four years to do things he'd seemingly rather do and, when the show is cattle-prodded into finally making its long-awaited return with the two seasons he agreeed to and it's announced those seasons are going to be burned off in less than a year seemingly so Don Glover can gently caress off to do things he'd seemingly rather do, it makes me wonder if I should bother, either.

That’s not an accurate description of what happened. They were like, only a couple days until shooting season 3 in March 2020 before having to shut down, and then it took longer than usual to come back due to shooting all over Europe. In that time, they wrote season 4, so they shot them together. At this point Glover had an option in his Amazon deal to keep doing Atlanta if he wanted, but he decided season 4 was a good end to the show.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Arrested Development criticism is fair but Will Arnett and Ben Stiller having sex with them having masks of each others faces is either the funniest or most horrific thing or both at the same time I’ve ever seen in TV

Edit: I’ve agreed with 95% of the shows in this thread

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Bones: Whenever they had the hacker serial killer who once exploded a computer by writing a malware program onto a set of bones, which blew up a computer when they were scanned. I'd kinda been on autopilot for like a season before that, it was just the same plot over and over but that particular thing just made me stop watching.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

For me, it's almost entirely intentional. If I like a show, and it's still good, but for whatever reason I fell behind watching it, I'll eventually get around to catching back up with it. But if I come to the realization that I don't like it anymore? Time to walk away and move on to other things. It's the same with music and bands; if an artist starts putting out subpar work or changes to a style or genre I'm not interested in, I'll just quit buying their stuff. There are way too many other things competing for my time to stick with something I don't really enjoy anymore.

Another TV show to add to the list: Arrested Development. The first two seasons were comedy gold (if extremely problematic in the context of our current times), the third not as much but still good. The fourth season on Netflix was so dire I gave up partway through, and didn't bother to even check out the fifth season. The fourth season was what convinced me that the people behind the show had no idea anymore about what originally made it work (and from what I've read, the fifth season would have done very little to change that perception).

Season 4 was extremely ambitious in how it focused on one character per episode in a chronological and intersecting way and it all came together in a great reveal at least.
Season 5 was horrid and entirely too mean spirited. I can't remember a single thing about it other than they were trying to ride the Trump parody wave but that stupid fucker is impossible to satirize so it fell completely flat

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I stopped watching The Walking Dead early in the 8th season (a few eps before Rick left). I will probably finish if off one day, but I got tired of the main group finding a seemingly great colony that was secretly evil or starting their own colony only to have it overrun by walkers/evil bastards.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

It takes a lot for me to drop a show that has Jon Banks in the cast but Community somehow did it with the season where they introduced him. Between Dan Harmon being absolutely insufferable and the show no longer being funny/fun I just couldn't push myself to keep watching. I probably should've stopped watching when I despised the second half of S3 but sunk-cost fallacy and all that.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Homeland: I remember just falling asleep during the middle of watching a Season 3 episode, and after that I had no desire to go back and watch it. I have no memory of anything from season 3, and most of season 2.

I think that is the only series off hand that I can think I just stopped in the middle of a season, I usually try and get through something. There are alot of things where I finished the season and never looked back. Westworld, Handmaid's Tale, Bojack Horseman...the list continues.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
Season 4 of AD had two big problems:

The first wasn't entirely the fault of the showrunners, it was just difficult to get everyone on set at the same time. Several of the cast (Cera, Bateman, and Arnett, to name just three) had become very much in-demand and so the show had to film around their various schedules as much as possible, so you didn't get the amazing chemistry between the established cast that helped propel the first three seasons.

Speaking of Bateman, the way they wrote Michael Bluth was the second serious problem of AD season 4. In the first three series, Michael was the straight man, the family member who was the moral and ethical contrast to everyone else. In S4, they apparently decided to prove he could be just as shallow as everyone else. Sure, there were hints of that in the previous three seasons, but his basic goodness usually triumphed and he was able to maintain the moral high ground over his less principled family members. Without that moral underpinning, the show's just a bunch of people being assholes to each other. Which could work, if it wasn't for the fact that It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia already had that ground very well covered by the time AD S4 came along. It just didn't work for AD and it wasn't the show anyone had hoped for or expected any more.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Shameless, when Fiona left

Also Homeland, when Quinn was no longer around

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Archer for sure, I really enjoyed that show and then they did the coma stuff and I just kind of... trailed off watching and never really came back.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Gave up on Shameless after they wrote out Mickey (I'm aware he came back but had lost interest by then).

Stopped watching The Office when Andy became the boss.

I thought the Leslie and Ron getting locked up espisode was the series finale of Parks and Rec but I guess the show kept going after that? That felt like a good final episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I stopped watching Syfy's Van Helsing at the beginning of s4. The previous season had introduced Vanessa's badass vampire hunter ancestor, Lily and at the end of said season had her wake up in modern day. Then the very first episode of s4 kills her off. The whole thing was just another annoyance where the show seemed like it was going to do something and then just pulled back on it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mad Men made it to the end of s4 and stopped caring. Couldnt take the same poo poo over and over again. Really just dont understand how anyone compares this to stuff like The Sopranos. Every [historical event happens, everyone cries] episode was 40 min of pure torture.

Ozark was kinda fun in the beginning but the writing was just kinda B tier compared to better shows. As soon as some super evil old guy with like 1 henchman kills the cartel guy i checked out.

Deadwood - Watched the entire show but the 3rd season was such a wet turd I never cared enough to watch the movie.

Stargate - Stopped after the Farscape B-team came in. Awful replacements and the new villains were trash.

The Witcher - Legit liked Season 1 and when s2 dropped I watched 2 episodes and then just never had the urge to go back for some reason.

Walking Dead - for every reason everyone else listed. Just end that show already.

West World - season 1 was kinda cool but the person i would talk about the show with died and it kinda felt weird continuing on without them :(

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I stayed with the first run of Heroes until... I wanna say five episodes from the series finale? Maybe four. I just couldn't anymore, and I'm always astonished that I lasted that long.

And I only got a couple of episodes of season 2 of Game of Thrones. I guess I liked season 1 well enough, but it never hooked me after that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Archer -- I imagine purgatory is something like being stuck with the cast of Archer, listening to them make the same terrible jokes over and over again. Peaked with the cancer season (i.e. two) and it's been downhill ever since. I think I gave up around the time they invaded a small foreign country, and every time I've checked in since the show's just confirmed my general distaste for the entire endeavour.

Bojack Horseman -- I enjoyed the first season, but I didn't love it. But then the Bojack fucks a teen girl episode happened, and I couldn't look at the show the same way ever again. For me, it stopped being a show about a myopic and self-pitying guy, and instead became a show that wanted us to feel sorry for a myopic and self-pitying guy. And I can do that, but not when he crosses those lines. Dropped sometime in the middle of Season 3 or 4, I don't remember.

Westworld -- I love the first four episodes; they're ambitious and smart and suggest a big world in which scary things are happening. The sequence at the agave farm between Babett-Knudsen and Hopkins is chilling and has an absolutely massive scale to it, just some beautiful television. And then the show fell into absolute pulp trash territory, with nothing to say about its themes, and a dumb plot twist for the sake of having a plot twist. The late season was a confusing mess, with sub-L O S T garbage where scenes existed purely to tease future scenes -- I'm here to watch a show, not a trailer. Season two leant into this, and the third season had destabilised my trust so badly that I gave up partway into the second episode.

Heroes -- that first season finale is crap and had nothing to say, something which later seasons confirmed. This show did help me work out how to watch TV though; if an episode can't manage to resolve something in an inherently compelling way, it's a bad episode. If you have a string of episodes that don't resolve anything an inherently compelling way, and instead keep doling out piecemeal information in about six different subplots while deferring the fireworks show to some sweeps period or finale (or following season) then you've got a bad show. Dropped in the middle of season 3.

Doctor Who -- Moffat was touch and go (mostly go) but he finally got his worst impulses under control around about the middle of Capaldi's first season. Chibnall, on the other hand, has produced some psychopathically boring television. His characters bore me, his plots bore me. Gave up in the middle of his second season, and though I occasionally dip back in, his work is just loving dull.

Gilmore Girls -- another show that taught me a lot about watching television. If you're only watching for one character (Paris is bae) then that show really isn't all that good, and you shouldn't waste your time on it. Dropped early season 5.

L O S T -- I used to love this show, but rewatching it with a friend who'd never seen it (a few years back) really helped me understand how disappointing the entire thing is. There's such a formula to how scenes are written, and so much weight placed on empty symbols (all the books that people were reading) and repetitive phrases. Also he pointed out that the music is high on its own drama, to the point of camp, and now I can't unhear it. And I used to loving love that score too. A real heartbreaker IMO.

Escobarbarian posted:

Genera+ion: heard good things from people I trust, but aside from some exceptionally funny scenes it just came across as “what if euphoria wasn’t very interesting”

I choose to feel seen.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 20, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sometimes I think about the one season of American Gods they made, and ponder how nice it would have been if they had made more. Alas, it wasn't to be.

Seriously though, that first season was fantastic, the second season was so useless that I never bothered with the third at all, and that's not even taking into account how badly they hosed over Orlando Jones.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
+1 to Family Guy. Rewatched the first two seasons a while back and have no idea why I liked this show so much when it first came out. I remember laughing memorably hard, out of breathe style at the gag where he slightly hurts himself and just nurses his wound for way too long. In my memory is way longer and the chuckle I got on the rewatch was of remembering laughing so much the first time.

Sesame Street I used to love this showing and watched it all the time, always excited for new or old eps. Then at some point it just felt like it just was treading water, repeating the same secrets and tricks they already showed. Really dropped the ball when it started to become the Elmo show. i bet they repeated letters and numbers so often was trying to get Elmo to get it through his thin furry skull.

Breaking Bad - Really loved the first season when it came out, but I was immediately afraid they'd go all "weeds" with it and start turning him into some kind of drug kingpin. Season 2 I watched as it came out with the caveat I was going to dip it became clear they weren't going to let him die of cancer and end the show quickly. At the time I vaguely remember it being kind of lowkey and quite possible to not get renewed. Can't remember if I finished season 2 or not, but what I do remember is Walt dying and there's no kingpin arc. People will insist they didn't Weeds it and it's Weeds if was Meth and Good. Genuinely, I take y'alls word for it. I can't say it sucks, I just don't wanna see it.

For some reason I did watch El Camino, centered on a character I mostly remember not liking by the time I stopped watching. All I really remember from it was the weird scene with the creepy dude who isn't phillip seymour hoffman. I enjoyed BCS the season or 1 1/2 I saw, but also never felt any compulsion to continue it. I like Odenkirk and he's good in it, but idk I kind of don't like seeing him for such a long time between laughs?

US Shameless Oh my god let it end.

X-Files When it was new we stopped watching it pretty soon after Mulder left, but was always curious how it all gets wrapped up and figured I'd get back round to it eventually. Last year, tried a rewatch but pretty quickly the alien-conspiracy episodes became huge drags. Monsters of the week were usually fun and I still liked those, but eventually got tired of the meandering, seemingly aimless conspiracy build up and just looked it all up on a wiki. and holy moly, what a joke! in the end basically all of it amounts to nothing, whatever weird alien and government agency conspiracy was going on turned out to be a huge waste of time because the aliens eventually got a good look at earth, saw that it sucks, and just moved on, just abandoned it altogether, not worth their time or attention apparently. Which is the right idea with X-Files too.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Khanstant posted:

US Shameless Oh my god let it end.

I started watching the original version on Sundance (I think) and enjoyed it well enough until my favorite character accidentally hosed his long lost brother, and his brother tried arguing that they could keep loving because they didn't know they were brothers when they first hooked up, and that was enough for me to cut bait on that one at the time

The US version I started watching so I could have water cooler talk at work. I was reconnecting with my estranged mother after her terminal cancer diagnosis right around the time I got to the story with Frank's mother, and it was definitely not something I was in the mood for at the time. I never picked it back up again, and looking at how long it's gone on, I'm okay with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I enjoyed the first season of Lost, but right after the finale I decided I was done with it because it was clear that all the ongoing questions would never have satisfactory answers, just more, increasingly bullshit questions.

I was a lifelong Doctor Who fan, but got so fed up of Steven Moffat's standard box of tricks and the sheer unlikeability of Peter Capaldi's 'midlife crisis divorced dad trying to look cool in front of his kids' Doctor (he's a great actor, but it was obvious from the start he desperately wanted to play it as an update of his childhood hero Jon Pertwee, only to be given scripts that mandated 'Malcolm Tucker without the swears') I dropped it after the one with the space lion-man that looked like something from loving Rentaghost.

Archer lost me in the 1940s coma season, but it was clear before that they were bored with their own premise and the humour suffered as a result.

Homeland should have had the balls to have Brody carry out his plan at the end of the first season, but everything after that was on borrowed time. Got to Brody hiding out in a half-built Venezuelan skyscraper for some reason and bailed.

Enterprise was (photon) torpedoed by its horrible complacency and storytelling laziness in its first two seasons (they recycled a second-rate Voyager script from the previous year) and the sheer prickishness of Archer. It takes a special anti-talent to make Scott Bakula unlikeable. Made it into season 3, but really didn't care how it turned out because we know the Xindi weren't going to win.

Mad Men should have been a show tailor-made for my exact tastes, and I was really looking forward to it. Only made it part-way through season 1 because I hated - as in, really despised - every single character.

Speaking of unlikeable characters, Nip/Tuck just got too ridiculous for me to care about by season 3. And I watched CSI: Miami right to the end!