Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I haven't revisited Person of Interest since hearing all the Caviezel stories but they're rough enough, in weird and nightmarish ways, that I'd probably pause in recommending it to anyone new (when previously it was easily one of my top 5 shows of all time). My housemate still wants to watch it for the first time so we'll get to it at some point but I'm not sure what I'll feel about his character when time comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Walking Dead: I quit midway way through the second season I think. It was the season where they were in the prison. I loved the first season but the second one just seemed to drag.

Westworld: The first season was really interesting. The second season was pretty good. The the third season was just… yeesh. I didn’t bother watching the last two episodes. I heard that they’re releasing a fourth season next week?

Billions: It started out with an interesting premise but everything seemed to resolve itself near the end of the first season and it seemed like they were just coming up with random plot ideas to keep the show going.

Regarding Battlestar Galactica, I watched the whole show but the ending was a confusing disappointment. I don’t know what I was expecting, but it wasn’t what we got.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

The Walking Dead: I quit midway way through the second season I think. It was the season where they were in the prison. I loved the first season but the second one just seemed to drag.

2nd season was the farm where literally nothing happens. Prison was i think s3

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

See, despite getting lazy answers or bad endings, I liked and still enjoy stuff like Lost and Battlestar Galactica. What will make me drop a show is usually the pacing of a plot, if it doesn't feel like the show is going anywhere interesting or the storylines aren't grabbing me. My threshold for that is high which is why I gave it through to season 7 of Walking Dead and series 12 of Doctor Who, despite feeling apathetic about both those shows for a long time.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

This is how I found out there is a modern day version of Kung Fu. And it's on.... The CW!?!?! :lol:

I have no idea how people watch the original show and go "Hmmm, here's a simple but workable formula" then go "Let's make something completely opposite of that but with modern trappings and no original ideas".

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

I guess this kind of fits the thread but it's more of a question. I remember liking S1 of Person of Interest but didn't stick with it past the Christmas break after the first handful of episodes. I remember getting impatient with the lack of serialization between episodes in the arching plot, and then life got busy and I never went back. I know it gets way more serialized later on, but does its ending stick the landing? I was thinking of going back to it at some point.
Absolutely. PoI is the perfect combination of serial and procedural; it's quite literally 'by the numbers' episodes which then become a serialized arc. The first season leans heavily on the procedural, but it does so to seed the ground for the emerging plot.

The final season is truncated due to network bullshit, but for me it definitely stuck the landing.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
God I loathe Sons of Anarchy and flipped to hatewatch after a season. Not even a season. But Sutter is such an absolute madman that something unintentionally hilarious would always squeak through. The pilot was actually decent. I liked the stuff with dad's journal that stopped for no reason. I loled that the protag was a british dude way better suited to a period drama romantic interest. I loved the facebook memes using his face in some dumbass poo poo about rugged individualism, our tuff boi who killed his mom, abandoned a couple of baby moms, and drove face first into a semi.

Ozark wasn't satisfying, but if anyone was looking for a karmic justice ending they weren't watching that show. It was Breaking Bad with but everyone was Skyler or Walt Jr. No fun, no character or personality, lots of pretty drone photog and everything was blue for some reason.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Surprised nobody mentions Masters of Sex well dont worry you didnt miss much

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Think I dropped that one a few episodes into season 2

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

sticklefifer posted:

I guess this kind of fits the thread but it's more of a question. I remember liking S1 of Person of Interest but didn't stick with it past the Christmas break after the first handful of episodes. I remember getting impatient with the lack of serialization between episodes in the arching plot, and then life got busy and I never went back. I know it gets way more serialized later on, but does its ending stick the landing? I was thinking of going back to it at some point.

It's pretty good overall, but the last season gets insufferably fanservicy and kinda stupid. The ending itself though is ok. The middle is the strongest imo

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Just realized something else about King of The Hill.

I hate Kahn.

He's a petty, insufferable prick on the levels of Peggy and her overzealousness. Almost everything with him is some variation of "Hello, hillbilly. You dumb redneck. I hate you. I better than you. I desperately trying to one-up Ted Wasonasong". Minh isn't as bad and at least somewhat reasonable.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 29, 2022

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Kahn is incredibly insecure though because he wasn't good enough to marry his wife.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Pretty sure you're meant do dislike Kahn and Peggy

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Westworld after season 1. It was just too sloppy.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Disposable Scud posted:

For sure, they frittered away the mystique of having a dense world we only got glimpses of and it became incoherent. I bailed after an episode where the robots were defending a fort and the guards just went after them with human wave attacks and got mowed down. It didn’t make any sense for the humans to be sticking with starship trooper tactics when at that point the masquerade is long gone. Air strike or artillery the robots you fools.

For another show Movies that Made Us had an excellent first season with great eps on Die Hard and Home Alone where they clearly put in the work to visit sets and find good interview subjects with lots of new info to share.

Season 2 felt like they were just producing hagiographies about how absolutely wonderful a movie was without any whiff of friction during filming, and the interviews got much less interesting as instead of finding famous folk it was more like whoever was available. The Elf episode was particularly bad.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Disposable Scud posted:

This -- season 2 was where it really went up its own rear end, although their were a couple really good episodes (the robo native american one, and a couple of the samurai world ones because I'm a weeb)

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I usually have two thresholds that makes me completely drop a show. Either the plot isn't going anywhere or it's not grabbing me anymore usually long-running shows like The Walking Dead, 24, Supernatural, or the writing completely tanks (jumps the shark I guess) like Heroes S2, Alias S3, Prison Break S2, Westworld S2.

I don't count The Simpsons or South Park even though I haven't watched it in months and the quality definitely isn't there, they're shows I will eventually re-visit.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

South Park around 2010: Got a strong vibe that Matt and Trey didn't want to be doing it anymore, but were stuck employing all their friends

Westworld after S1: Had a lot of potential in that first season, and had friends that were obsessed with it, but S2 exposed how bad the writing was

The Expanse after S1: I would actually like to finish this one at some point

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 4, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You should finish the Expanse.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

American Gods - Great first season absolute dog poo poo second.

Dexter - Gold standard. I literally hate watched this show from like season 4 onwards. I stopped before the final season.

Vikings - Gave up in Season 3. When the lady fell through the ice and died it made me stop watching. What an absolute bullshit death and it was so dumb.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vikings got very not entertaining after Ragnar died.

Had moments, like the incredible attack on Paris or Floki meets Islam, but it got way too up its own butt on VIKING INFIGHTING instead of anything else more interesting.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Oh boy, The Ozarks is a show I'm basically hate watching now.

Loved season 1.

If this show was released weekly I would have quit.

It just keeps getting dumber and dumber, and Season 4 is like everyone is just pants on head stupid.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Archer - Season 5. The Cherlene stuff didn't work for me at all, and Pam getting skinny really felt like a departure from what that character was supposed to be.

Heroes - Season 2. Pretty much as soon as I realized Hiro had been sent back in time because he was too popular to write off the show but too powerful to keep around for the main plot stuff. The show just felt like it was spinning its wheels, trying to recapture the magic of that first season but completely failing. They wanted to keep the same characters, but also add new ones, so a lot of character development got stalled out since you were trying to juggle way too many plotlines each week.

The Walking Dead - the middle of Season 1. It just wasn't clicking for me. Everyone at work watched and begged me to keep watching so we could talk about it, but it just didn't grab me like it did so many other people. Looks like I won in the end, after all!

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

A Fancy Hat posted:

Heroes - Season 2. Pretty much as soon as I realized Hiro had been sent back in time because he was too popular to write off the show but too powerful to keep around for the main plot stuff. The show just felt like it was spinning its wheels, trying to recapture the magic of that first season but completely failing. They wanted to keep the same characters, but also add new ones, so a lot of character development got stalled out since you were trying to juggle way too many plotlines each week.

Oh I watched it until the very end and it got so, so much worse. By the last few episodes we were watching solely to see just how awful it could get

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

Archer - Season 5. The Cherlene stuff didn't work for me at all, and Pam getting skinny really felt like a departure from what that character was supposed to be.

Those 2 characters killed off any enjoyment I had watching this show. I really wish they got rid of them after that season.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
This is a hard one for me because I am the type of person who needs to finish what I started, bbbbut

The Daily Show: Trevor Noah Is hilarious but at the time. I was mad Stewart was leaving and I just had a kid so I had to cut my losses with tv.

You - I loved season 1, and 2 was decent but by the time 3 came out I just wasn’t feeling it.

Bill Maher - because gently caress him.

FEAR the Walking Dead is the best example of me just walking away from a show midsession. I wanted more of the origins from TWD and this promised it until it didn’t. I tried jumping back in for season 3 and got bored, until some goon told me it was good again now and I marathoned the show over the spring.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Spalec posted:

Bones: Whenever they had the hacker serial killer who once exploded a computer by writing a malware program onto a set of bones, which blew up a computer when they were scanned. I'd kinda been on autopilot for like a season before that, it was just the same plot over and over but that particular thing just made me stop watching.

Oh hey, this is precisely when I abandoned Bones. That guy was the stupidest villain, having him hack a computer through it scanning "code written on a bone" was massively dumb, and then having it pivot to a Bones on the run plot was an exceptionally trash way to close out a season. It was a banner moment for me as I'd never "broken up" with a TV show before, I'd always stuck it out to the end. But I abandoned ship on Bones and NCIS shortly thereafter and was all the better for it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He somehow wrote computer code onto a bone somehow with only a vacuum tube computer. Yeah, sure.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
The Walking Dead
It became an endless parade of Bad Groups which wouldn't be a problem in itself if they switched up the themes and tried to do something new with the characters. The only character development was the writers cycling through the cast and shifting them between "I have to do what is necesarry which is kill people" to "What have I become I can't do this anymore" and back again. Endlessly. I bounced in season 4.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

cirus posted:

Oh I watched it until the very end and it got so, so much worse. By the last few episodes we were watching solely to see just how awful it could get

I like how in the end, after seeing multiple different ways it totally sucked for super humans to be "known about by everyone" (usually resulting in them being rounded up and imprisoned for being potentially dangerous, regardless of what their superpower was) Clair decides "gently caress it" and reveals her powers to the news crews anyway - THE END

This was after the "big bad" of the series was defeated because he had a plan to do the exact same thing..

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 8, 2022

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Gordon Shumway posted:

Oh hey, this is precisely when I abandoned Bones. That guy was the stupidest villain, having him hack a computer through it scanning "code written on a bone" was massively dumb, and then having it pivot to a Bones on the run plot was an exceptionally trash way to close out a season. It was a banner moment for me as I'd never "broken up" with a TV show before, I'd always stuck it out to the end. But I abandoned ship on Bones and NCIS shortly thereafter and was all the better for it.

this was also my breaking point. like bones was always more of a “fun background noise” at best show but when your fun background noise becomes so bafflingly, insultingly stupid you have to give up on it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Soup du Jour posted:

this was also my breaking point. like bones was always more of a “fun background noise” at best show but when your fun background noise becomes so bafflingly, insultingly stupid you have to give up on it.

That reminded me about Castle. In one of the later seasons, the two secondary detectives got split up chasing a suspect through an abandoned or under construction building. One of them saw a silhouette and opened fire, without identifying it. He shot his partner in the rear end. It was treated like it was just a big joke "ha! You got shot in the rear end!" instead of "you didn't identify your target or announce your shot, and you almost killed your partner". Just played for laughs. It was such a jarring moment. I don't think I stopped watching right then, but it was one of the moments which laid the groundwork for me walking away.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Soup du Jour posted:

I also loved Angela's computer program that could interpolate someone's face using a picture of the back of their head.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I always thought Bones sucked but NGL now I kind of want to watch it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
My wife watched the whole series back when it was on. I just could never get past Emily Deschanel's delivery. She was just... I dunno... not good.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYh6YI3pXKE

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Just remembered one: US House of Cards -- I watched three seasons but could have stopped after one. Dumber and meaner than the British original, but also embarrassingly self serious. You can tell they liked the idea of having an antihero lead break the fourth wall and implicate the viewer in his misdeeds, but they forgot about (or weren't capable of) making him witty and charming first. As a political thriller it became tedious very quickly because of the lack of believable opposition or danger for the main character. In the future most people will remember it as the show whose lead was outed as a rapist and then made a video defending himself (?) in character as the main character from the show, but at the time I thought of it as the number one example of a show that wins awards and gets buzz entirely because it looks like an expensive show and has famous actors in it.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
People keep mentioning TWD but once Angela Kang took over the show has been consistently good.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
South Park - A long time ago....probably around season 11 or 12. When every episode needed a social commentary....I felt that the quality suffered. Favorite episode is....and always will be 'Asspen'.

Futurama - After the first full CC season....I never fully got back on board. Still to this day....cannot figure out how the writing went from 'best animated show of all time' to 'mostly mediocre'. Planning to get back to it and make sure I watch all the episodes before the new ones start. Quietly confident that they'll enlist some good writers to bring back what the CC run was missing.

The Walking Dead - I want to meet the freaks who watched this religiously all the way through. Appointment viewing from start to finish. Nah....I'm just playing. Not sure where I left off. At the start of the pandemic I actually caught up on a few seasons. May someday try and finish the remainder. This was just milked way too hard for way too long. Showrunners would have done way better by bringing it to a conclusion much earlier.....before starting a spinoff. Maybe would have kept some fans on board that way.

I see a lot of Arrested Development. Did ANYONE think that season 5 was a big step up from season 4? I think everyone agrees that the Netflix seasons weren't very good. Specifically that first Netflix season which was a clear issue. But I happened to think that season 5 was closer to season 3 (good) quality than it was to season 4 (bad). I can't remember now. Maybe I was drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
NCIS: Started watching it as I caught reruns in syndication, boomeranged back and watched it from the start in order, caught up to when it was airing at season 7 or so? It was starting to get a little samey along with having to one-up the stakes on every major plot point that happened and I dropped it as soon as Cote de Pablo left two episodes into season 11. From episodes I've randomly caught since then, I did not like Emily Wickersham's character even after they toned down her quirkiness, and the slow drop off of all of the original cast made me never go back. I looked up the current cast list and other than Sean Murray it's basically an entirely different show now. And somehow it got a third spinoff series recently...