Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Tomin

I don't think it's a bad idea to split up in our investigation. We'll cover more ground that way, but everyone be careful and call out if you find something or there looks to be trouble. Also, my advice, stay downstairs until we can all go up together.". he shouts to Barnabas. Tomin then wanders into one of the rooms and starts carefully searching, looking for impressions.

Tomin investigates Room B, .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rinu

As the others moved to investigate their respective rooms, Rinu moved towards the last closed door.

“Elizabeth, Gustav? Your children are very worried!”

Rinu is moving to investigate the final room, C. Rolling Investigation: 4 total (3 on die +1 Int modifier)

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 27, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Alacranst

“Oi, sailor! Wait for me!”

Alacranst runs up the stairs to join Barnabas. The cavernous space makes him very self-conscious of the loudness of his voice. He stops bounding up the stairs and begins to walk up them quietly keeping his ears peeled for whatever he may hear.

I will roll perception to see what I can sense moving up the stairs and on the second floor.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Droz Feign: Dining Room

The centerpiece of this wood-paneled dining room is a carved mahogany table surrounded by eight high-backed chairs with sculpted armrests and cushioned seats. The dining table is laid with a magnificent feast. A crystal chandelier hangs above the table, which is covered with resplendent silverware and crystalware polished to a dazzling shine. Mounted above the marble fireplace is a mahogany-framed painting of an alpine vale.

The wall paneling is carved with elegant images of deer among the trees and as you inspect the room you notice twisted faces carved into the tree trunks and wolves lurking amid the carved foliage.

Red silk drapes cover the windows, and a tapestry depicting hunting dogs and horse-mounted aristocrats chasing after a wolf hangs from an iron rod bolted to the south wall.

Tomin: Kitchen and Pantry

The kitchen is tidy, with dishware, cookware, and utensils neatly placed on shelves. A worktable has a cutting board and rolling pin atop it. A stone, dome-shaped oven stands near the east wall, its bent iron stovepipe connecting to a hole in the ceiling. Behind the stove and to the left is a thin door leading to a well-stocked pantry . All the food in the pantry appears fresh. Behind a small door in the southwest corner of the kitchen is a dumbwaiter.

Rinu: The Den

This oak-paneled room looks like a hunter's den. Mounted above the fireplace is a stag's head, and positioned around the outskirts of the room are three stuffed wolves.

Two padded chairs draped in animal furs face the hearth, with an oak table between them supporting a cask of wine, two carved wooden goblets, a pipe rack, and a candelabrum. A chandelier hangs above a cloth-covered table surrounded by four chairs.

Two cabinets stand against the walls. The east cabinet sports a lock. The north cabinet is unlocked and holds a small box containing a deck of playing cards and an assortment of wine glasses.

Sometimes when you turn around you question whether the stuffed wolves are still in the position they were a moment before, but when you start focusing on them and try to catch it happening they seem perfectly stationary.

Barnabas and Alacranst: 2nd Floor Upper Hall

Oil lamps are mounted on the walls of this elegant hall. Hanging above the mantelpiece is a wood-framed portrait of the Durst family:

Gustav and Elisabeth Durst with their two smiling children, Rose and Thorn. Off to the side a maid stands, the mother's face contains a hint of scorn while Rose's face has been scratched out.

Standing suits of armor flank wooden doors in the east and west walls. Each suit of armor clutches a spear and has a visored helm shaped like a wolf's head. The doors are carved with dancing youths, as you invesitgate the area closer you see that the youths aren't really dancing but fighting off swarms of bats.

The red marble staircase that started on the first floor continues its upward spiral. A cold draft can be felt coming down the steps.

------------------------------

The investigation is afoot! I didn't actually expect players to charge upstairs on the first "turn" so I'll amend my previous assurance not to worry. No one is currently in imminent danger in, but things are definitely amiss within Durst Manor.

2nd Floor:

Also, beneath your character name please list your HP, PP (passive perception) and any limited use abilities your class may give you like spell slots or rage (or any other things it would be good to keep track of).

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rinu
HP: 10/10
PP: 15
Spell Slots: 1st: 2/2
Cantrips: Druidcraft, Magic Stone
Prepared Spells: Cure Wounds, Detect Magic, Entangle, Speak With Animals

Rinu moved through the den, examining anything that seemed interesting as she went-- though their goal was still of course to find both the children's parents and this mysterious monster, she had to admit her curiosity was piqued. She briefly inspected the box and playing cards, her head tilting in slight confusion as she turned back to the rest of the room. Had the wolves... moved? Surely not, but...

"There's no one in here." Rinu called to her companions as she approached the nearest of the wolves, reaching one clawed finger out to give it a curious poke. "Has anyone else found anything?"

Rinu shouldn't be poking mysterious stuffed wolves, and yet here we are.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 27, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Alacranst

HP:15
PP:15
Rage: 2/2

“So this is how the rich do. I wonder if the owner of the Coach company lives like this,” he looks at Barnabas, “Watch yourself, we don’t know what this monster is or where it is.” Saying so he moves quietly to the door immediately to his right at the landing of the stairs and stands behind it shield at the ready. Grasping the knob he flings the door open with a bang and stands glowering in the doorway, hoping to catch anything in there unawares.

I’m going to open Door D, rather violently.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 27, 2022

hotdogtown
Feb 28, 2011
Barnabas

HP:10/10

"Aye Aye Alacranst this is a grizzly business" He knew something was off and it began with these children. He heeded Alacranst's call for prudence and readied himself for whatever was in the next room or approaching from behind.

Barnabas plays it safe for now eager to find the children's room for any clues, he backs up Alacranst

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Droz'Feign
AC: 17
PP: 12
Cantrips: Guidance, Mending, Spare the Dying
Prepared Spells: Bless, Create or Destroy Water, Healing Word, Heroism (Domain Spell), Sanctuary (Domain Spell)

Droz's immediate attention lands on the opulent spread laid out on the dining table. It appears the food is relatively untouched and the cutlery unmoved? Strange given a supposed menace is on the loose in this place.

Elizabeth and Gustav were not clearly present to Droz, perhaps they were preparing to dine before the "monster" waylaid them? Or perhaps something more sinister was afoot?

Droz pondered this as he examined the finer details of the room for any possible clue. His eyes darting from the pristine tableware, to the framed alpine vista hanging above the fire, to the panelling depicting woodland deer and...

Droz exited the room at this point, making his way back into the centre of the first floor foyer as he takes an audible deep breath in.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Tomin
HP 10/10
PP 9
Csntrips: True Strike, Vicious Mockery
Level 1 Spells known: Charm Person, Cure Wounds, Heroism, Sleep

Tomin goes over to the dumbwaiter. He opens it and looks inside. "Where's it go?", he wonders Could this be an alternative way upstairs? He looks also at the hole the stovepipe goes into. Interesting. Both probably too small for him, but....still interesting.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Alacranst and Barnabas: Servants Quarters

The two adventurers burst into an undecorated bedroom containing a pair of beds with straw-stuffed mattresses. At the foot of each bed is an empty footlocker. Tidy servants' uniforms hang from hooks in the adjoining closet.

Tomin: The dumbwaiter goes up two floors.

Barnabas: You hear the sobs and muffled gasps of a woman in pain. As you look for the source the voice fades.

Rinu is still in the Den. Droz has moved to the Main Hall. Tomin is still in the Kitchen.

Apocron fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 28, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Alacranst servants quarters

As he scans the bare room he strides in rapidly and with the haft of his ax knocks the mattresses off the bed frames scattering straw into the air. He covers the space quickly and turns to Barnabas, “This is all nonsense and these children are wasting our time. You suspect them? I suspect they are merely playing games with us! We have places to be and go to. If we’re unable to find the parents for bearings there’s no need to be here. I’ll find our way. Always have.”

He turns to the staircase and calls down loudly, “Masters Cleric, Druid, and Bard what have you found? Nothing but dust I presume? We should leave and waste no more time!”

I move back to the top of the staircase.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Droz'Feign Main Hall
Prepared Spells: Bless, Create or Destroy Water, Healing Word, Heroism (Domain Spell), Sanctuary (Domain Spell)

Droz took some moments to recompose himself, until Alacranst's bark from the upper floor snapped him back to attention. Droz begins to climb the stairs, addressing Alacranst once he reached the upper floor in a somewhat hushed tone, Droz still being conscious of a potential monster.

"We have only just stepped forth in here Alacranst, and there is still a basement to search should it come to that... I understand you are conscious of your work... Should you face consequences for this detour, refer your superiors to me and I will take responsibility."

Droz finishes his address to Alacranst to observe the upper landing. Noting Barnabas' presence to his immediate right, Droz moves towards the door to his left, making a final remark to Alacranst before turning the door handle.

"Eldath teaches it is better to waste time than to have lives wasted... That is a paraphrase, somewhat..."

Assuming the door to Room E is open, Droz enters and continues his search with an Investigation check (Guidance's Concentration still being maintained)

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rinu

“We must be sure!” Rinu called upwards as she exited the den, beginning to climb the stairs as the wood creaked ominously beneath her heavy footsteps. Her tone sounded exasperated as she reached the landing to the second floor. “Where ever you might be headed, it cannot be so important you’d risk lives to get there!”

She turned to the staircase as it continued to spiral upwards.

“Besides, we’ve another floor, and a basement that is the source of these troubles. Patience, we’ll get there in time!”

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Tomin-Top of the Stairs/3rd Floor Landing
HP 10/10
PP 9
Cantrips: True Strike, Vicious Mockery

Seeing that the other rooms on the first and second floor are being searched by people better at searching than he is, Tomin climbs to the top of the stairs and waits. "Let me know if you need me, I suppose.", he says with a sigh.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 29, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Alacranst 2nd floor landing

Having been politely but firmly chastised for his impatience, Alacranst stands chewing on the hairs of his mustache. “Yes, well alright.” He straightens himself out and roughly salutes, “I only mean to uphold the Sunnydale standard. One of which is quality of service to the passenger. I’ll see this through to the end of the road.”

Turning then he walks past the armored statues, lifting a visor to see beneath, to end up standing before the final unopened door on the 2nd floor, the one between the suits of armor. Readying his arms he slowly opens the door this time once more blocking the doorway with his large frame.

I’ll go to door F the final one to be opened on the floor.

hotdogtown
Feb 28, 2011
Barnabas

HP:10/10

"Fellows did you hear that just now? There was a definite cry of a woman in need of aid. Do not loose heart but not your wits either. This may be more trickery but we cannot leave now" Barnabas wanted to say more to encourage and rebuke his new companions but the voice of distress had both chilled and steeled him.

Barnabas roles perception to see if he can locate the direction or source of the voice he heard as it fades.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rinu

“A voice?” Rinu paused, closing her eyes to listen more closely. “I didn’t hear anything…”

Rinu is using Perception to try and see if she, too, can hear this voice.

hotdogtown
Feb 28, 2011
Barnabas

"I may be going mad but there was a voice from upstairs. I feel like the voice was inside my head but my conscious cannot leave it alone, shall we?" he nodded at the stairs and half debated as he spoke questioning his sanity but he knew what he had heard.

Barnabas slowly proceeds up to the next floor

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Tomin and Barnabas - 3rd Floor Landing

Tomin and Barnabas climb the red marble staircase to its full height and come to a dusty balcony with a suit of plate armor standing against one wall, draped in cobwebs. Oil lamps are mounted on the oak-paneled walls, which are carved with woodland scenes of trees, falling leaves, and tiny critters.

As Tomin passes in front of the armor it lurches at him and shoves him toward the balcony. Tomin loses his balance and is about to tumble over the banister.

Tomin climbs to the top of the landing when suddenly the animated armor leaps forward and shoves him. He fails his dex check and will fall to the first floor unless Barnabas is able to do something. This is happening simultaneously with everyone approaching the various rooms they were going to investigate so first Barnabas gets to make a reaction and after that everyone will be able to roll initative

hotdogtown
Feb 28, 2011
Barnabas

10/10 hp
15 pp

Barnabas was starting to get bored. "Where had the voice come from?" he thought and wondered if he had imagined it.

At the top of the stairs he sighed and thought about having a smoke until the panic of the suit of armour moving at Tomin stirred his apathy. Without thinking and almost Instictevely he leapt forward towards Tomin and the banister skidding on his knees before popping up at the last second to try to grab the Bard by his hands or ankles.

Barnabas attempts an acrobatic attempt to save his companion from falling

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Tomin and Barnabas - 3rd Floor Landing

With catlike reflexes Barnabas reads the situation and slides in behind Tomin. grabbing him and pirouetting his momentum so that instead of going head over heels over the banister he instead ends up beside Barnabas only slightly discombobulated. However, the Animated Armor does not hesitate. A rattling metallic laugh echoes from within its breastplate as it swipes with its left hand at Barnabas's exposed back. However, the half-elf's deft movements cause its first blow to merely scratch his leather armor. Its right hand however, swings in from under and catches Barnabas with a solid body blow knocking the wind out of his sails.

Barnabas misses the DC15 check by 1 but accepts the consequence of taking a slam attack with advantage as a consequence. The armor rolls 11 and 6 and the advantage does it no favors. Its second slam however is just on the money at 14. Barnabas takes 4 damage.

The Rest of the Party - 2nd Floor Landing

As you are each about to open the doors in front of you there is a tortured metallic sound from upstairs and a yelp from Tomin. A metallic laugh echoes down the stairwell before you hear a solid thunk and Barnabas's expelled breath.

Decided that people would probably want to get involved with the business upstairs but if anyone wants to continue into room E or F then let me know and I'll tell you what's inside. For this theatre of the mind positioning we'll have three zones for now. 2nd floor landing which has no visibility of the 3rd floor landing. The staircase which has visibility of the 2nd and 3rd floor landing. The 3rd floor landing. Currently has the armor, Barnabas and Tomin and could fit one more party member. Alacranst, Rinu and Droz are all in the 2nd floor landing and can move either to the staircase or 3rd floor landing with a single move action. Leaving the 3rd floor landing will trigger and opportunity attack from the Animated Armor. Next is Barnabas's turn to act. Created the #blood-sport text channel for us to manage combat in the Discord.

Animated Armor
Barnabas
Droz
Rinu
Tomin

hotdogtown
Feb 28, 2011
Barnabas

6/10 hp
15 pp
Two weapon fighting
Sneak Attack

"Hello darling I mistook you for a maiden; how disappointing, but as you said I do need you now" he quipped after grabbing Tomin and receiving the blow almost consecutively. His upper back ached as he attempted humour through the pain. He prepared to face the assailant and shouted down "Friends we are not resting up here. I have an iron-clad alibi."

Spinning he dropped to one knee, drew his rapier and silver dagger together across his chest and in one movement thrust the rapier almost directly upwards at the hole under the suit's helmet while the silver dagger is poked forward at the gap in the suit's groin before rolling off to the side and back to both feet.

Barnabas rolls 1d20+5 for the rapier attack at the suits neck, he rolls 1d20 (no mod) for the dual attack at the gap at the groin. Before rolling to the side and standing up

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Droz'Feign 2nd Floor Landing

Droz snaps to attention at the sounds of commotion from the upper floor, drawing himself away from opening the door and instead moving to the foot of the staircase.

Droz tries to gleam from his new position what exactly has occurring upstairs. Upon hearing the loud clunking and scraping of metal, along with Barnabas' wheezed sounds of pain, Droz turns to Alacranst whilst presenting him Eldath's symbol.

"You are needed."

Droz begins to utter divine incantations, his eyes flaring with spiritual blue energies as he bestows Eldath's divine assistance onto Alacranst. Sprouting forth from Eldath's holy symbol materialise caressing aquatic tendrils, vivid blue in colour yet almost ethereal in appearance. These tendrils begin to envelope around Droz's arms and outstretch to Alacranst. They are cool to the touch, yet offer confidence to their recipients, emboldening their resolve and skill as they almost playfully dance around the pair's arms.

As Droz finishes his prayers, he snaps a final command, "Upstairs! Go with renewed spirit!"

Droz moves to the side of the 2nd floor staircase, ensuring people can move up and down the stairs as needed, and then uses his main action to cast Emboldening Bond on himself and Alacranst.

Emboldening Bond: Starting at 1st level, you can forge an empowering bond among people who are at peace with one another. As an action, you choose a number of willing creatures within 30 feet of you (this can include yourself) equal to your proficiency bonus. You create a magical bond among them for 10 minutes or until you use this feature again. While any bonded creature is within 30 feet of another, the creature can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw it makes. Each creature can add the d4 no more than once per turn.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 10, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Alacranst 2nd floor landing

Hearing the sounds of conflict, Alacranst stops with his hand on the handle of the door and turns to see the blue tendrils come towards him. “What in the-“ he begins to exclaim but their soothing touch fill him with a vigor he didn’t have before and all misgivings float away.

Hearing Droz’s final command, he replies, “At once!” and bounds up the stairs to the 3rd floor landing where he catches sight of the armor leering over Tomin and Barnabas the latter clearly injured. “At last our ‘monster’!” Wasting no more time he plants himself with the creature between Barnabas and himself lets loose a heavy swing to the back of the neck.

I move into a flanking position to gain advantage on the creature and attack it with my battle axe.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Rinu advances onto the stairs, using her bonus action to cast Magic Stone on three of the pebbles in her hand. She then uses her action to make a ranged spell attack at the animated armor using one of the stones.

Droz viewed the swivelling armour from the landing below, its body moving almost like marionette being puppeteered whilst it silently battered down upon his companions. Droz had a brief moment of self-doubt, his teaching preached to find peace in times of conflict... yet Droz sharpened his mind in response to these thoughts. This creature is inanimate, unnatural, and peace would not be an option... Droz moved to the top of the flight of stairs whilst pocketing his holy symbol. Now an onlooking to the skirmish, Droz fumbled for some kind of implement to engage with... coming across the dwarven-designed dagger to his side. This will have to do Droz thought to himself, as he eyed a shot against the flailing armour. Droz pulled his arm back for the wind up, and then let his dagger fly... not before uttering a final prayer beforehand.
"... Eldath please forgive me if I have wronged here..."

Droz draws upon his sacred bond with Eldrath to spread her peaceful power to Alacranst who had barely been in control of his emotions moments before. A feeling of resolve steels his nerve as he rushes up the stairs to help Barnabas and Tomin. Coming across the puppetlike chuckling plate armor he brings down his axe in a might blow cleaving downward from its shoulder to the center of its chest leaving a mighty ragged gash and joining Barnabas's metallic symphony with the tortured sound of torn metal. The armor's helm swivels unnaturally as it seems to focus on him. Rinu dashes up the stairs to see Alacranst's axe locked into the armor and perhaps in fear of hitting him sends one of her enchanted pebbles sailing over both of them and crashing into some of the wood paneling, scattering splinters around the landing. Tomin, having regained his composure after nearly falling 3 stories, nimbly darts in and pokes the armor but Alacranst's blow seems to have ruined the acoustics and the sound is sharp and dissonant. The armor's body then swivels to join the helm and it slams its hands down on Alacranst's shoulders and then twice it crashes its helm into his face. The world spins and rings as Alacranst feels blood running from his nose.

Droz draws and looses a throwing dagger at the clanking collection of metal plates but again it pings off its helm. However, the vibrations seem to provide Alacranst with an opening to yank loose his axe which he brings swinging in sideways, this time leaving a large dent in the clunking brute's side. It seems they're both giving as good as they're getting.

Off balance from Alacranst's blow the armor sways into the center of Rinu’s line of sight. She pitches a rock into it which caves in the other side of its chest. Now with the ragged tear and massive dents it’s starting to resemble scrap more than armor. But it’s still standing.

The armor Alacranst's blood still on the faceplate, swings at him twice. However, Alacranst now has the measure of the monster and so manages to weave out of the way of the blows

Barnabas dazed and cramped from the melee and feeling slightly wounded from lack of meaningful contribution steeled himself. Seeing the armour take a step back from Rinu's pebble and Alacranst's second assault he sees an opportunity to drill the rapier through the new hole in the middle of the armours chest and hopefully pierce the other side into the wall behind. Charging a few feet forward , the thrust is true as the light sword went in, throughout and out the armour's steel back into the wall. Knowing it would only hold for a few seconds he released the rapier and jumped up and forward, legs back arms above his head with both hands on the dagger he pierced the armour at the shoulder and sheered the torso downwards from the upper left side to the waist on the right. He finished on his knees. It was split open on the front and seemed no more as it fell towards and nearly on top of him not for the rapier holding the wreck true.

"We finally 'IRONED' that problem out" looking at Tomin and Alacranst sweat dripping of his nose.

The armor, struck in twain by Baranabas lets out one last shrieking metallic cackle before tumbles into a lifeless heap on the ground.

Apocron fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 17, 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rinu

“Well done!” Sliding the pebbles in her hand back into the pouch she had filled with them, Rinu moved forward now that the danger had seemingly passed and the animated armor was scrap on the floor. “Now hold still, my friend. You’re terribly wounded!”

Chiding Alacranst for his brave but perhaps slightly reckless unwillingness to back down from the fight, she laid a hand on his back as she spoke a spell, the air briefly filled with the somehow unmistakable smell of a warm summer night.

The fight finished, Rinu begins healing her comrades starting with Alacranst, using Cure Wounds.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

B]Alacranst[/B] 3rd floor landing

HP:12

His nose definitely felt broken, but his head was feeling very thick, but he was grinning through the blood at the sight of the crumpled armor. A warmth flowed through him, and the throbbing pain he felt from his face subsided some, though he still felt a bit of tenderness as he touched his features. He pulled out a yellowed handkerchief from a coat pocket and wiped his face with it, stuffing it back into another pocket at random.

"Ah, that healing magic never does get old. I feel nearly fit enough to take down another monster," though he quickly added, "But not quite."

He looked at the others, "Good job coming in there, when you did, I don't know if I could've handled another blow. So shall we get on with it then? We've dealt with the children's troubles, I'd reckon. With daylight burning the way it is, we should get back on the road."

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Droz'Feign 3rd Floor Landing

Droz shuffles his way through the crowded landing to where his dagger fell, pocketing it once more before turning to Barnabas, eying him once over whilst placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"... Your wounds do not appear too severe, I could heal you but some rest in the coach would be as effective."

After giving his "reassurances", Droz turns to scan the 3rd floor's landing, giving a glance to any immediate doors or entrances.

Whilst doing so, Droz passes a remark to Alacranst's comment. "We have still not found the children's parents, and if this... was the monster, then I would find their whereabouts before leaving. I do not think it obliging to leave the children to find their parents, especially if the monster 'found' their parents first."

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Alacranst 3rd floor landing

“Aye, you’re not wrong…” he responds sheepishly. “I’ll go on and look for the parents, starting with where we were before we were interrupted.”

Alacranst returns to the second floor, roughly knocking down one of the suits of armor near to the door he was at before.

I’m going to open door F on the 2nd floor.

hotdogtown
Feb 28, 2011
Barnabas Matlow

6/10 hp
15 pp

Barnabas was too tired to talk. He wanted to leave. With his weapon drawn he moved to the unexplored door on the 3rd floor.

Barnabas searches the uncleared rooms on the 3rd floor with Droz

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Alacranst Before Door F on 2nd floor

Still annoyed both by his impatience to leave but also by his own behavior in light of the more noble members of the party, Alacranst stops almost anxiously in front of the door. All of the sudden wary he places his hand on the handle but with a vigorous shake of the head he throws the door open shaking away his troubles.

He looks long and hard through the room peering intently and calls out a strong ‘hello’ through which he can still hear just a tinge of uneasiness.

Rolling perception as he stands in the door way and then walks through the space.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rinu
Spell Slots: 1st: 1/2

With Droz and Barnabas backing each other up above, Rinu moved with Alacranst should something nasty pop out at then again— it wouldn’t do to leave anyone alone now that they had already run into trouble once.

“Do be careful.” She pulled another handful of pebbles from her pouch, peering into the doorway from behind Alacranst as he took the lead.

Best to have backup, even if Alacranst had proven he could give as good as he got.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Alacranst and Rinu - The Conservatory

Gossamer drapes cover the windows of this elegantly appointed hall, which has a brass-plated chandelier hanging from the ceiling. Upholstered chairs line the walls, and stained-glass wall hangings depict beautiful men, women, and children singing and playing instruments.

A harpsichord with a bench rests in the northwest corner. Near the fireplace is a large standing harp. Alabaster figurines of well-dressed dancers adorn the mantelpiece. Close inspection of them reveals that several are carvings of well-dressed skeletons.

As you inspect the figurines you hear ghostly music permeate the room. As you turn you see twirling in the center two etheral figures who pay you no mind. Before you can think you hear a bark which breaks the spell. Looking toward the source of the interruption you notice a small pug in fine dress who eyes you with suspicion from beneath the harpsicord.

Droz'Feign and Barnabas - Master Suite

The double doors to this room have dusty panes of stained glass set into them. Designs in the glass resemble windmills.

The dusty, cobweb-filled master bedroom has burgundy drapes covering the windows. Furnishings include a four-poster bed with embroidered curtains and tattered gossamer veils, a matching pair of empty wardrobes, a vanity with a wood-framed mirror and jewelry box, and a padded chair. A rotting tiger-skin rug lies on the floor in front of the fireplace, which has a dust-covered portrait of Gustav and Elisabeth Durst hanging above it. A web-filled parlor in the southwest corner contains a table and two chairs. Resting on the dusty tablecloth is an empty porcelain bowl and a matching jug. There is a dumbwaiter on the wall.

A door facing the foot of the bed has a full-length mirror mounted on it. The door opens to reveal an empty, dust-choked closet. A door in the parlor leads to an outside balcony where the mist presses against the glass of the door.

The jewelry box on the vanity is made of silver with gold filigree. It contains three gold rings and a thin platinum necklace with a topaz pendant.

Here's the floor plan for the third floor!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Alacranst Conservatory

"This is quite the place..." Alacranst says quietly slowly drawing out his words as he steps into the room. He feels immediately self-conscious of his rough clothes and battered face. The music recalls that of places he has never been to, just driven people to, and while he never longed for such a life, he knew what the thought of him. His fist clenches slightly.

"Really, just so strange..."

And then the music stops. The sharp stacatto of the dog's bark drives the thoughts from his mind and he sees the dog.

"Oh hey there little friend. I can't imagine you're the 'monster' we've been looking for are ya?"

He holds his hands out wide and gives off a crooked grin and clicks his tongue for the dog to come over.

Rolling Animal Handling to see if I don't take the dog in. Otherwise, it's in Rinu's hands.

hotdogtown
Feb 28, 2011
Barnabas Matlow

6/10 hp
15 pp

Barnabas was wasn't sure what he was expecting, yet this room seemed to both normal and unnatural at the same time, yet there was nothing here he could perceive. He looked at the rings on the dresser for a second but knew better than to fool with any potential cursed silver. He nodded at Droz, shrugged and turned and continued the search towards the other 3rd floor bedroom. "Where did that voice come from.....?" he thought internally. The landing no longer perturbed him, be was confident and eager to finish.

Barnabas moves to open the other bedroom on the 3rd floor marked 2 on map

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rinu The Conservatory
Spell Slots: 1st: 1/2

“It’s quite odd, isn’t it?” Rinu stepped into the room after Alacranst, gently shaking the pebbles in her hand as if anticipating another suit of animated armor to leap out at them at any moment. She quickly found herself fascinated by the strange decor of the room, even if the motif of death wasn’t the most welcoming. Spending most of her time wandering the wilds, she rarely had occasion to see refined living like this.

She’s been moving to observe the ghostly dancers when, like Alacranst, her reverie was broken by what can only ever be described as ‘pug noises’ when they happen.

“Well aren’t you regal?” The tortle’s eyes sparkled with mirth as she looked down at the dapper dog.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Tomin-2nd floor, Room F
HP 10/10
PP 9

Tomin heads back downstairs to room F. He's notoriously bad at searching, so doesn't expect to find anything, but he checks anyway. Who knows? He might get lucky.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Droz'Feign Master Suite

Droz gives a returning nod to Barnabas as he exited the room, leaving Droz to idly examine the room's contours whilst mulling over his thoughts.

If this was Gustav's and Elisabeth's main bedroom, they certainly haven't slept in here for some time, or even stepped foot inside from the feel of things.

As Droz's eyes move across the suite, they land on the parlour door leading to the outside balcony. Droz recalls the distinctive *click* as the party entered through the main entrance, perhaps this could offer a way out? Albeit if the others do not object to scaling down a house's side with supportive rope.

Droz moves to and attempts to open the parlour door leading to the outside balcony.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Alacranst, Rinu, & Tomin - The Conservatory

"Ruff! Ruff!"

The little dog happily trots over to Alacranst and licks his hand. As it moves out from under the harpsichord you make out more clearly that its clothes are someone's idea of what high class clothes look like. The material is rough and the stitching seems more like handicraft than tailoring. But obviously love was put into them.

Tomin enters to see his two companions with the dog.

Barnabas - Nursemaid's Suite

Dust and cobwebs shroud an elegantly appointed bedroom and an adjoining nursery. Double doors set with panes of stained glass reveal a balcony overlooking the front of the house. Mist presses up against the glass.

The bedroom contains a large bed, two end tables, and an empty wardrobe. Mounted on the wall next to the wardrobe is a full-length mirror with an ornate wooden frame carved to look like ivy and berries as you look closer you see eyeballs among the berries.

In the corner you see a translucent blue figure huddled and sobbing to themself.

This but more feminine and no spikes in a maids outfit

Droz'Feign - Master Suite

The parlour door opens and the fog tumbles inwards, like smoke except it builds from the ground up. You feel your throat begin to seize as it mixes with the air you breathe and the places where the fog meets your skin feel dreadfully cold as the life seeps from you. The room is quickly filling with the fog which will soon begin to pour into the hallway.

Constitution check please. What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Tomin-Conservatory
HP 10/10
PP 9

"What's this? A dog?", Tomin asks curiously. "A very fancy dog!" He hold out his hand for the dog to smell, but it's obvious he's interested in the instruments.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 27, 2022