Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Here is the housing thread, post about housing

currently in the US housing is kind of expensive

if you haven't purchased a home yet then lol

here are some graphs, please post more stuff to add to this incredibly lazy OP tyia

homes lol

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 16:25 on Apr 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
time for coastal yuppies to take their 6 figure remote work jobs to bumfuck interiorstate and drive the home prices there up

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Relin posted:

time for coastal yuppies to take their 6 figure remote work jobs to bumfuck interiorstate and drive the home prices there up

i would place more of the blame on private acquisition of homes with intent to rent but yeah, gently caress them

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
absolutely but i just learned about that behavior so it's my current grudge

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
homoner

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

People buying as part of a speculative market, to make airbnbs, to make standard lease rentals are all significantly more damaging than people leaving expensive areas to more rural ones trying to eek out a better existence.

I'm not making 6 figgies at work and had to move from a market that was being blasted by property inflation to one that was a bit better. I had 0 chance to own a home in the other place even if I found a spouse that made roughly the same as I do. In here I might be able to own a home in a decade if things dont get crazier.

Back in PR the home prices were destroyed after Maria hit, now no islander can afford to buy a home around the coast and the government is actively encouraging tax evading millionaries to gobble up as much as they can from the island.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
market bad

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
train PFC to this thread, tia

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:d2a:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://twitter.com/my_jabroni/status/1517138145405325315

the housing market has been insane in canada since at least 2010 as we had no real correction in 2008

keep in mind the D&D canadian housing thread is 10 years old and everyone there including me expected a collapse only a few years after the thread started. we're morons!

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Dreylad posted:

keep in mind the D&D

I will not!

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
https://twitter.com/Markzandi/status/1516541056317329414

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Something tells me that people who live in rural Ontario sort of overplayed their hand and all of the people who bought little shacks at 1 million hoping to sell for 3 million are about to get owned

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

homebuilding in the us collapsed in the 80s and never recovered and now it cost half a million dollars to buy a house in minneapolis

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
HouseLigma

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

no one does 20% down without a gift and it's annoying that people pretend it's a thing. you do 5% down and eat the $100 a month PMI, because housing inflation goes faster than being able to save

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

lol now add property tax

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
vancouver is absolutely lovely and one of only two cities worth living in in Canada the other being montreal, honorable mention halifax

gently caress to toronto

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

mastershakeman posted:

no one does 20% down without a gift and it's annoying that people pretend it's a thing. you do 5% down and eat the $100 a month PMI, because housing inflation goes faster than being able to save

Yea if you just wait like 18 months the house's value will go up so much you will have over 20% equity and can get the PMI to go away.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Just be rich!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

like, zoinks scoob!

*70% of paychecks go to housing*

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

TehSaurus posted:

Just be rich!

the rich are the people like my friend who is paying 30k in property tax on 120 year old house nowhere near the lake, with a mere 3200 sqft and a tiny lot. bought it for a mere $725k. so the principal & interest barely outweigh the ptax

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

CongoJack posted:

Yea if you just wait like 18 months the house's value will go up so much you will have over 20% equity and can get the PMI to go away.

This is how we refinanced out of PMI during the rate dip in 2020, and went from 4.75% to 2.875%. We bought in 2018, and over <4 years of payments our equity has gone up almost 4x our downpayment, almost *40 times as much as we've paid on the principle* entirely on the back of value increase. In that same time period, our property tax reassessment has risen almost 20%, which would have put us underwater except for both of us getting raises and 2 full percent off our original mortgage. Even with 2 computertouchers, we couldn't remotely afford to buy our house now.

This is all on top of the fact that we were both A) lucky to not have student loans and B) lucky to buy at literally the lowest price housing has been where we live since 2008. Out of our circle of ~15 friends, two others own homes: one guy who had to move to WV, about 2 hours away, and another guy who is a bit older and who originally got on the homeownership train by inheriting his parent's house in CA before moving to this coast (where he could afford a townhouse). Everyone else rents or lives with their parents, and zero have any real shot at homeownership at this point.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

mastershakeman posted:

It's me, I was the idiot who lived lean through my 20s and saved up a 20% down payment

I'd have come out far, far ahead if I'd just gone all-in on a 3% down payment 2 years out of school

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the appraisal district in Austin doubled my property's appraisal this year, lol. i thought i avoided getting owned after snagging a house last year, but no, i am still getting owned

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
I'm not interested in buying anymore, I just want an "affordable" apartment in Brooklyn that's less than an hour from my job.

1 Bedrooms are going for $2500 easy in Brooklyn. I went to an open house for a $1900 studio apartment in a lovely neighborhood and 5 other people showed up. It's bananas

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

my friend who bought a house in Seattle told me her parents gifted her Starbucks stock lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Not a Children posted:

It's me, I was the idiot who lived lean through my 20s and saved up a 20% down payment

I'd have come out far, far ahead if I'd just gone all-in on a 3% down payment 2 years out of school

you still could by putting 5% down now and doing something else with the remainder

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Not a Children posted:

we can afford 20-25%% because we've lived very frugally for a decade but dont have the income to service the mortgage lol lmao

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

indigi posted:

you still could by putting 5% down now and doing something else with the remainder

INVEST IN BITCOIN

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Something tells me that people who live in rural Ontario sort of overplayed their hand and all of the people who bought little shacks at 1 million hoping to sell for 3 million are about to get owned

Good.

I'm not sure what the bigger contributor to housing inflation is, AirBNBs, or gigantic investment firms like Blackrock or Predatory Real Estate companies like Redfin. Anyway this could be fixed on a federal level by charging a vacancy tax of 100% on all non-primary residences in Urban areas.

e: Also give HUD the entirety of the pentagon budget and change the KPI's to emphasize reducing homelessness at the expense of all else.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Apr 22, 2022

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Trump will house you

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
*phone rings*

*dummy me, expecting it to be the call from the doctor I was expecting*: "Hello?"

"Hi, I'm Joe Schmoe from rear end in a top hat Realty. Is this Kreeblah?"

"Yes it is, and I'm not interested in selling."

*line goes dead*

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Good.

I'm not sure what the bigger contributor to housing inflation is, AirBNBs, or gigantic investment firms like Blackrock or Predatory Real Estate companies like Redfin.

millenials being frozen out of the market from 2004-2018 due to economics, boomers not loving dying and staying in their homes, ton of demand and 3 trillion of liquidity and 0% interest for Capital and nowhere for them to invest it except property = new bubble that wont burst until the neolib collapse and fascist takeover

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Lol if you live anywhere

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Good news workers 28-45!! you will be able to buy a house in around 10 years. bad news, all minorties and non-evangelicals will be hunted down and forced into camps and the world is on fire and there is no water

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I pay $1400 to live in the one of the suburb valleys of Los Angeles in a 1br apartment. I got insanely lucky when I found this place as it's fairly spacious, has a parking space in a lot, is cool with my dog, and the landlord doesn't talk to me about poo poo and hasn't raised the rent since I went month to month.

I got engaged last month and we're talking about moving (fleeing) to Michigan to be close to fresh water and be at a higher latitude in anticipation of climate change. We also loving hate slogging through traffic and crowds to do anything.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Ive posted about cheap houses in Detroit in the doomsday thread, but it sure looks like everything rehabbable is being bought up, with everything else being left to absolute ruin. a quick look at the stats and yep, even in extraordinarily undesirable rustbelt cities surrounded by blight, homes have gone up on average by 28% in the last year.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Relin posted:

nobody wants to live in bumfuck, especially when you're become accustomed to being a coastal yuppie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

At this point I've gotten so many offers for my house I'm considering just countering with some insane number and seeing if they bite.