Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
People pay out the rear end for hand made knives when you can just go buy a factory made one that is pumped out by the thousands.

People appreciate handcraft, this is not that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Geese

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Man Dall-E-5 sure is amazing I just put in as an input "a 100 or so self aware forum users posting in a thread about Dall-E-2, on a two decade old online comedy forum" And all this was the output.

Amazing.

You should have asked for a good post instead.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

TIP posted:

it won't be long before we're having actual unscripted conversations with the NPCs

AI is gonna make gaming so much cooler

Someone already did this, was posted awhile back.

https://youtu.be/jH-6-ZIgmKY

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

That's very on brand for homelander.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Clown egg?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I'm a dummy. What exactly could the average person do with a LLM.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

people are going to use it to crank it, but I'd use it to generate plotlines, or to assume a character in my story and roleplay out a scene as a world building excercise.

Yeah thats kinda the use I see for it too. Having some fun with ChatGPT right now converting Gloranthia creatures to 5E and was wondering at what point I'd be able to have something local.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Objective Action posted:

You know, for all the talk about AI art going on right now I think spending so long working with Stable Diffusion and its predecessors has actually made me want to be a better artist than years of doodling.

I've spent so much longer inpainting/outpainting, manually re-drawing/re-coloring, and sketching poses than just taking raw output. I actually dug my tablet out of storage and started studying anatomy again. I started staring at color gradients, geometry, brush strokes, and art styles on every piece I see again. I even fired up Blender and started watching tutorial videos again.

Like, legitimately this has made me feel so much more creatively empowered as a person. I think when I see people arguing that this isn't 'real' art and is just collage or outright theft it's why I don't even get angry anymore, just sad.

I understand why they are saying that stuff but the fact that the world we live in forces that reaction, that choice, bums me out a lil' bit.

I feel the same, but with ChatGPT and writing stuff for a dnd campaign. I have been putting off working on a campaign for literally 9 months, and for whatever reason the ability to fire away questions at the chat and for it to respond with instant suggestions just inspired me to work on the campaign and integrate the ai into my work flow.

Ended up playing our first Session yesterday and everyone had a blast.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I realize it's difficult to predict, and kinda dumb question but where does everyone see all of this stuff going in 6 months to a year. It seems to me (who checks in and out with this kind of stuff) that since a bunch of stuff got leaked or publicly released shits been moving in leaps and bounds.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

My elementary school had a pretty decent and mandatory computers class and as a result people think I'm sort of computer wizard because I can use search well or whatever.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

my whole family thinks I'm a computer genius because I can no-look type. :/

Touch typing is great but it absolutely throws me off for about a day when I switch to a new keyboard with sliiigghtly different dimensions.

Oddly enough I can switch between my work and personal laptop with no issues, probably because I'm used to both by now.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I've had some thoughts on AI lately.

I feel like a weakness of ChatGPT and the like is how they can only do very short content. Show me an AI that can write a 100 page story. With ChatGPT, you can get a few paragraphs and maybe you can keep that going for a couple pages, but you'll reach a limit really really quickly. Longform content is something I'd be far more interested in.

Furthermore, how are people handling the legality of using AI art in software design? Is there a way to definitively know it is AI art?
Like, if someone made an iphone game and used some AI art assets, would anyone even know?

Longform ai generation that's cheap and accessible would nuke the kindle unlimited market and the like. Doesn't even have to be great if it is able to deal with niche topics/settings.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

pixaal posted:

There's reddit communities about writing for really niche genres like find a specific form of time travel (or fetish, that's popular) and write poo poo that wouldn't even get a C in highschool. It sells because so little exists in the genre if someone wants more you come up as the next best thing.

If you can ask an AI to just make you that, it will be at least that good. It won replace a good author and some people will basically turn into editors for the AI with prompting and reviewing. There's an entire group of lovely bottom barrel authors that are going to have to find other work.

Anyone actually good in this group should be able to keep on writing and getting sales along side the AI. Some people will prefer a human have written it (and that is fine!)

Yeah this is basically what I see happening. Good authors will be fine, but if people can now just ask the AI for a story set in the 1700s where aliens invade and France, the UK, and Russia team up to kick them out or whatever then it's going to weed out a lot of other authors.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Can you add dinosaurs to this, asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Those turned out amazing, thank you both for incorporating the dinosaurs.