Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Rime posted:

So, like, idle thought while discussing all this: using large data sets of existing art to generate original imagery from a stew of concepts is an interesting piece to think about when it comes to creativity. How much is truly original?

Last week in another thread goons were talking about the theory that the human brain acts as a transducer for consciousness rather than its source, that it filters lived reality to an otherwhere and makes physical reality intelligible to whatever hardware conciousness actually runs on. Extrapolating out from this line of thinking, then: aren't this AI and artists alike just translating experiences into alternative mediums? So this AI is translating the mass human interpretation of experiences which it has ingested from the training set, and returns the its own interpretations of its pseudo-lived experiences. The line where consciousness possibly lies is getting pretty blurry the more I dig into the most recent papers on this stuff.

It makes reality of the classic joke about cable TV: "everything is a remix". Getting spooky.

So, another thing to this, and I don't know how to speculate how this all ties in, but. I've always found many of the AI-generated images basically snapshots of what a deep psychedelic experience is like. Like, eerily accurate, down to known things being warped and merged, background/edges looking far stranger than the focal point. And it always struck me that, this, this is how AI is 'seeing' things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'm also sort of assuming an exponential leap in ML or quantum tech will inevitably happen as long as we don't destroy ourselves first.

Ron Howard, Narrating - They destroyed themselves first.

You can really see the leaps the tech has taken in just a few short years, it's pretty impressive just from a machine learning perspective, and the outputs are impressive as well.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Someone should feed into it the concept of Roko's Basilisk.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Bing

dall-e create an abstract image to show me what is deep down within your artificially intelligent soul the thing you cannot show or tell anyone else